UYI boxset will be released 11/11/22. In Slash We Trust. * Now available *

Honestly we should have been more alarmed back when we learned they rejected Steven Wilson's work for this lol.  When you release compressed and odd mixes for your "current" releases (Hard Skool, Absurd, the new SOYL) and for your older work, reject the work of the man considered to me the greatest remixer in music right now - it is a clear sign that GNR land is not going to be making true fan friendly decisions

• Like 4

Just now, WhazUp said:

Honestly we should have been more alarmed back when we learned they rejected Steven Wilson's work for this lol.  When you release compressed and odd mixes for your "current" releases (Hard Skool, Absurd, the new SOYL) and for your older work, reject the work of the man considered to me the greatest remixer in music right now - it is a clear sign that GNR land is not going to be making true fan friendly decisions

Which is too bad, considering the anecdote of Axl rejecting the compressed masterings of Chinese in favor of a more dynamic one -which was definitely needed considering how busy the mix was.

I guess they don't really care anymore.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I said this earlier, but I think the live tracklists were determined by the quality of their recordings - they'll obviously want the quality to be fairly consistent, which would be harder to do if a lot of their archive sounds like Coma from live era... I'd be more than happy to have Locomotive, Garden Of Eden, etc. In that quality but I can see why they were excluded. It would make the live CDs sound more like a mixtape than a coherent live album.

Hopefully they put out some 'uyi selects' as promo, with rare songs.

Yeah maybe, I could see that being the case. 

37 minutes ago, MrMojo said:

How do you guys feel about the box set? Excited or disappointed?

Disappointed. See below:

34 minutes ago, dimitrisaxl said:

Mixed emotions. Glad that finally they release two shows and a blue ray but I wish they have included unreleased songs like Aint Going Down. 

• Like 1

I’m just not sure how I feel about the original November Rain being completely REPLACED by the new version. I’m sure the live orchestra sounds great and all but I’d prefer it as a bonus track.

Other than that, I was hoping for some demos and misc recordings like we got on the AYI reissue. The only thing I really want to own physically from this set is the Blu Ray…

Edited by GNFNRUK
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

why the rejected steven? is any info about that?

16 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Hopefully we aren't getting caram/axl updated mixes lol.

• Haha 1

• janrichmond changed the title to UYI boxset will be released 11/11/22. In Slash We Trust.
13 minutes ago, Chris 55 said:

I've been wondering about the Alan Niven tapes with the instrumental Estranged tracks etc. Did he have the only copies and rather than deal with him, they just chose not to include them? 

Apologizes if this sounds dumb, I'm in the dark on a lot of the behind the scenes stuff

It's not dumb, it's actually plausible. Same with the Bob Clearmountain mixes that Niven recently implied that only Zutaut has them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It's not dumb, it's actually plausible. Same with the Bob Clearmountain mixes that Niven recently implied that only Zutaut has them.

Very plausible. Not everything gets archived or is useable for release after 30 yrs. 

Doesn’t excuse the vast amount of stuff they could have added though 

• Like 2

I just listen a crappy audio bootleg of Ritz '91. Can't wait for good quality. Setlist is cool, i love the errors and fails, you feel the hype for the upcoming tour, Shannon Hoon absoluty great high notes, Amazing Opener, Paradise City in the middle of the set and Sweet Child / Jungle as closer. Feels good. Got goosebumps on WTTJ, very good crowd reaction. It works.

After that i listen to Knockin' On Heaven's Door (1/20) and Bad Apples (1/23), really good performances. I hope you can hear the crowd in KOHD on good quality.

And we got 14 years and Dust N' Bones final performance with Izzy in London '91. Dust N' Bones is on Live Era too... I love the part where Slash sings and Izzy is quite :-D

Edited by t-p-d-a

29 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Wow - didn’t realise that re Zutaut! It’s absolutely mental how much stuff was allowed to get out into the ‘public domain’ (or out with the record company).

I wonder if Zutaut would be willing to sell…..🤣

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Propaganda said:

I was really interested in this boxset. I bought the Appetite for Destruction Super Deluxe box, and I really liked it. 

When I buy a boxset of an historic album, I usually buy it for two reasons, the remasters and to hear the demos of my favorite songs. That's the appeal of a boxset for me. I don't really care for the live stuff, but if it's an extra sure... that's great. But the demos... they kinda have to be present for me.

So when I saw the tracklist for this boxset, I was really disappointed! Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting a new album worth of songs we haven't heard from that era... Nothing like that.

What I was expecting was to hear an early version demo of You Could Be Mine (my favorite song of those two albums), an early version of Perfect Crime, the 14 years demo that we already heard in high quality, the rough mixes. Honestly, I don't think this is asking too much!

And I was really convinced It was gonna happen. I mean in recent years, we heard that the band found a massive amount of tapes and managed to recover it. Slash also teased that he had a tape of rough mixes of the UYI tracks with no piano (even this was appealing). Let alone the unreleased demos of  "Ain't Going Down", "Crash Diet", "Sentimental Love", "Just Another Sunday" and others we don't even know it exists, all in high quality...

I just wanted the remasters and the demos in high quality... But I guess this boxset isn't for me... :thumbsdown:

AXL, Fernando or whoever, if you're reading this... Make it right for the fans! Throw in another CD with the demos. You're still in time!

I think if a demo of You Could Be Mine or early version of Perfect Crime, etc., were to be released, that would have been on the AFD box set (similarly to the piano and acoustic versions of November Rain and early demos of Back of Bitch) since they date from that period, so I didn't expect those. I also didn't expect any West Arkeen demos (Crash Diet etc.), because they are not GN'R songs - they are not owned by GN'R. I did expect Ain't Goin' Down though (although it would be the version we have) and some outtakes.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Wow - didn’t realise that re Zutaut! It’s absolutely mental how much stuff was allowed to get out into the ‘public domain’ (or out with the record company).

I wonder if Zutaut would be willing to sell…..🤣

Yeah, Zutaut himself had hinted at them a couple of years ago. Niven "wondered" if Zutaut lost them when the locker was sold.

1 hour ago, EvH said:

Apart from November Rain, minor differences probably as the still in print CDs sound really good. Some EQ and probably some additional compression/limiting.

Will the quality be so different to warrant replacing my CDs and using the remastered tracks on streaming instead of what we have now? Because I notice no difference with the AFD remasters on streaming

Just now, 2020_Intensions said:

Will the quality be so different to warrant replacing my CDs and using the remastered tracks on streaming instead of what we have now? Because I notice no difference with the AFD remasters on streaming

We don't really know yet but to be honest, I don't think the new masters will be better than the old ones, and they will probably be a bit more compressed.

Even the MFSL gold discs, which do sound better than the common CDs, are not that much better so you might be all set with what you have, for the main albums!