The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

5 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

She’s definitely not in Madonna territory. I couldn’t name a song of hers, either, but most important, I don’t even know what she looks like. I wouldn’t recognize her if she was standing next to me.

You don't know what she looks like?! 

I don't really get the "I couldn't name a single song"- it's sort of irrelevant as she sells billions of albums to people who could and has done for the past 18 years. 

Not personally knowing something doesn't mean it isn't a massive part of the musical/cultural landscape. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Italian girl said:

taylor swift's songs are all identical and all boring :P

she could relax and take a rest of 5 years..

You mean like ACDCs.... anyone can say something similar about rocks fav bands. Her early country stuff isn't actually that bad, if you like country rock. her newer stuff is for kids and young women mainly of course, but it's not all made on a computer like dance music or on a laptop on some tiktok. 

30 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

What makes you say people won't care about Taylor Swift's music in ten years? 

Her career has already lasted 18 years! 

I'd say of all the popstars around at the moment she's one who will definitely still be listened to way into the future. She's in Madonna territory in terms of volume of albums and cultural impact. 

The ignorance of people here... unbelievable. Maybe they have lived in a box since 2008 :lol:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I don't really get the "I couldn't name a single song"- it's sort of irrelevant as she sells billions of albums to people who could and has done for the past 18 years. 

Not personally knowing something doesn't mean it isn't a massive part of the musical/cultural landscape. 

I agree. And I believe most of us here are not in her demographic reach. What it matters is if she's relevant for the youth, and I totally believe she is. That's how pop music always worked. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

i mean, she is hot

I may sound crazy here.. but I just don’t see it, she annoys me with her silly facial expressions in her videos and performances. I’m more of a Dua Lipa kinda guy :awesomeface:

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, D4NNY said:

I may sound crazy here.. but I just don’t see it, she annoys me with her silly facial expressions in her videos and performances. I’m more of a Dua Lipa kinda guy :awesomeface:

i prefer miley cyrus as well (both musically and look-wise), but you can't argue that swift is pretty good looking.

Edited by Stay.Of.Execution
  • Like 2
  • PERHAPS 1

34 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Taylor swift is the biggest artist in the world, and has been around since 2008. That's 16 years into her career. not some fly by night. she has sold out wembley stadium for SIX NIGHTS this summer, with millions of people not getting tickets. This is perhaps the most ignorant thing ever said on this forum. She is bigger than GnR could have ever dreamed and will be bigger than GnR still in 10 years. I'm not even a fan of hers, but the absolute BS in this comment needs calling out. Now, you can say 'I dont rate her, i dont think she's good etc' but you cannot say something as ridiculous as above. I'm sure there were grandads like you in 1965 saying the same thing about the beatles, yet here we are 60 years later. She also writes every single one of her songs and can play guitar and piano. So no she's not plastic, you just dont like her music. and thats fine. 

wanted to answer, saw the comparison with The Beatles, instantly thought it would have been a waste of time

47 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

You don't know what she looks like?! 

Never said she isn’t a ‘massive part of the musical landscape’ I just think she isn’t on the same level as people like Madonna and Michael Jackson.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

Taylor Swift is bigger than Madonna nowadays. She's the most relevant artist in the music business today. 

Of course she is more relevant now but Madonna is what? In her 70s? She isn’t relevant for 20 years now. And still we’re here comparing her to Swift. Will Taylor Swift has the same standing as Madonna has, when she is a granny?

Edited by Free Bird

11 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'd disagree on that personally, but there we go. 

it was different back then, every child, teen and adult knew MJ songs. he was bigger than life and a cultural phenomenon that wasn't just limited on one generation. kids were dressing as michael and trying to dance like him. the things he did on stage will never be reproduced. i dont think anyone will ever come close to that kind of stardom, not even taylor, even though the swift hype definitely is out of this world. 

Edited by Stay.Of.Execution
  • Like 1

This goes to show how sad the music industry is. As for TS, she may be big today, but in 50 years, nobody except the fans (who’ll have been retired by then) will be able to tell a difference between a random song by Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga, or Rihanna or whoever the hell. (Btw, I myself know 2 songs by LG and know how she looks like; never seen TS as far as I know; I could probably identify MC, as she was in Black Mirror iirc; not sure about Rihanna either.) They are managerial products – and I’m not saying they’re completely talentless – and don’t differ from the rest of the same pop material in any huge way. 
In any case, music is at a different place now than it was 30+ years ago, which is why comparing the pop stars from then (setting the path for others, btw) with the today’s kids on the oversaturated market isn’t exactly gonna make much sense. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'd disagree on that personally, but there we go. 

I would say she's bigger than Madonna ever was. Breaking all kinds of records and is one of the influential people in the world. Just recently she broke Elvis Presley’s record for most weeks at No 1 on US album chart. I mean people care who she's voting for.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Of course she is more relevant now but Madonna is what? In her 70s? She isn’t relevant for 20 years now. And still we’re here comparing her to Swift. Will Taylor Swift has the same standing as Madonna has, when she is a granny?

We don't really know how relevant Taylor Swift will be in 40 years but if everything continues as is, she will be really relevant, still. There is nothing that points to the contrary. She only grows her fanbase each year, for almost 20 years as an artist.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

wanted to answer, saw the comparison with The Beatles, instantly thought it would have been a waste of time

It's cool, ignorance is bliss. It's weird that people volunteer such ignorance. 'I dont know them or like them therefore they can't be that big' LOL

9 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

We don't really know how relevant Taylor Swift will be in 40 years but if everything continues as is, she will be really relevant, still. There is nothing that points to the contrary. She only grows her fanbase each year, for almost 20 years as an artist.

People here will have you believe she's been around 5 minutes and in a couple of years she'll be forgotten again. Like she hasn't been the top artist in the world for 15 years and is bigger every year on top of that. People will choose the stats that suit them or always say 'well back in my day blah blah' but pretty sure every single meaningful record in music is now taylor swifts and shes barely in her early 30s. but some 53 year old 80s rock fan doesn't watch any news, any contemporary music or any sport, and doesnt know who she is, therefore she can't be as big as madonna was. HA. 

• Like 3

Half of the records Swift has broken is because she releases each album fifteen different times with minor differences on each, and her gulliable fanbase lap it up. It's cheating and shouldn't be allowed.

I could name one Taylor Swift song. Her impact isn't as far reaching as the hype would have you believe.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ABSUЯD 1