The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

It’s actually crazy how much this band can make you think in circles if you try. I just listened to Soul Monster and goddamn it’s great. If I take the optimistic thinking route with the leaked titles like Seven, I can 100% fool myself into thinking CD II is possible and would be great.

Knowing Absurd and The General were released when Atlas has complete vocals, knowing Soul Monster is still not officially released… it’s possible.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 6:14 PM, bmus1 said:

It’s actually crazy how much this band can make you think in circles if you try. I just listened to Soul Monster and goddamn it’s great. If I take the optimistic thinking route with the leaked titles like Seven, I can 100% fool myself into thinking CD II is possible and would be great.

Knowing Absurd and The General were released when Atlas has complete vocals, knowing Soul Monster is still not officially released… it’s possible.

Great points. By now, I'd imagine they have complete versions of Zodiac and Quick song as well, and Berlin/Oklahoma. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

Great points. By now, I'd imagine they have complete versions of Zodiac and Quick song as well, and Berlin/Oklahoma. 

You would imagine wouldn't you? Unfortunately, I think the likelihood is these songs never were worked on beyond what we have. Those instrumental demos are some of the rawest shit I've ever heard. There is no way an album comprising these songs, in a complete and finished state, were not released to follow up ChiDem. I hope I'm wrong. 

I just hope they finally threw it all in the thrash and moved on. These song titles make me wanna puke at this point. XD

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I just hope they finally threw it all in the thrash and moved on. These song titles make me wanna puke at this point. XD

As Axl said, they should be considered working titles.

18 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

As Axl said, they should be considered working titles.

I just don't hear anything in the leaks that is worth fucking around with it for decades. The leftovers released so far are mediocre at best, some of them are pure garbage. It just makes no sense at all to continue with this approach, imo.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I just don't hear anything in the leaks that is worth fucking around with it for decades. The leftovers released so far are mediocre at best, some of them are pure garbage. It just makes no sense at all to continue with this approach, imo.

I believe CD2, as it was prior to NITL was of the same quality overall as the 2008 album. It is my opinion the NITL mixes took them down a notch or two. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Unfortunately, I think the likelihood is these songs never were worked on beyond what we have. Those instrumental demos are some of the rawest shit I've ever heard. There is no way an album comprising these songs, in a complete and finished state, were not released to follow up ChiDem. I hope I'm wrong. 

I believe you are wrong. From the Village leaks, they finished Sorry, Better, and Shackler's Revenge with vocals. Scraped must of came from later sessions, or happened to not be included with what leaked (The Village leaks do not include ALL of the material Guns had at the time). I strongly believe more songs were worked on/finished from this period, and beyond. (More than The General and Monsters) 

Do we know how many songs Buckethead recorded for? I've hoped Quicksong might have been completed at some point if Axl laid down extra scratch vocals and Bucket tracked solos for it in 2001. Soul Monster was recorded in 2004, and The General sounds like 2006 maybe?

I believe CD2, as it was prior to NITL was of the same quality overall as the 2008 album. It is my opinion the NITL mixes took them down a notch or two. 

There are many low quality songs on CD so you’re probably right with your first sentence. Disagree with your last though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, bmus1 said:

Do we know how many songs Buckethead recorded for? I've hoped Quicksong might have been completed at some point if Axl laid down extra scratch vocals and Bucket tracked solos for it in 2001. Soul Monster was recorded in 2004, and The General sounds like 2006 maybe?

Not certain on Buckethead. My guess would be most songs had him on in some form. 

We know The General, Soul Monster, and Seven existed at least in instrumental form in 2002. As that is when Marco Beltrami worked on them, if I recall correctly. My guess is vocals were laid down around the same time Axl recorded vocals for Sorry and Scraped, as they sound similar. (Much like how Catcher and Atlas sound like they were recorded around the same time)

16 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

There are many low quality songs on CD so you’re probably right with your first sentence. Disagree with your last though.

That wouldn't be a first for Guns, so it's par for the course. (UYI comes to mind)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/21/2024 at 5:58 PM, Sweersa said:

I second this!

It's highly likely the CD2 mixes of the songs would've been longer, less to the point and a lot more layered. Sounds good to me! And Bucket and Robin over Slash any day...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bmus1 said:

If CD II was a thing, I’d guess BBF played most if not all of the solos on it.

My assumption is it would be like the 2008 album, where Bumblefoot plays a handful of solos, and has bits throughout the songs. I believe a lot of what Bucket and Robin did was intact then.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Sweersa said:

My assumption is it would be like the 2008 album, where Bumblefoot plays a handful of solos, and has bits throughout the songs. I believe a lot of what Bucket and Robin did was intact then.

Yeah, the Silkworms, OMG and Going Down leaks are very good hints at this possibility.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 10:58 AM, Sweersa said:

Agree 100%. I loved Perhaps when it leaked, but the Slash replacement solo ruins it for me. The school bell ruins Hardschool, in which case the leak overall was much better. I hate the cash grab reunion. Axl would have released a full CDII, with proper Buckethead/Finck versions of the songs, if it weren't for the reunion. All we got from that was an endless cash grab tour to milk the casuals. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, DannyVinyard said:

Agree 100%. I loved Perhaps when it leaked, but the Slash replacement solo ruins it for me. The school bell ruins Hardschool, in which case the leak overall was much better. I hate the cash grab reunion. Axl would have released a full CDII, with proper Buckethead/Finck versions of the songs, if it weren't for the reunion. All we got from that was an endless cash grab tour to milk the casuals. 

So does he please the few who cared or the millions that wanted a re-union.  Pretty easy choice to me as no one was really digging NU GnR.  Its just facts, look at the concert ticket sales comparing NU and real gnr

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, DannyVinyard said:

Yes, the re-worked tunes are a mess! 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, fabrph5 said:

So does he please the few who cared or the millions that wanted a re-union.  Pretty easy choice to me as no one was really digging NU GnR.  Its just facts, look at the concert ticket sales comparing NU and real gnr

They could have released CD2 as it was in 2014, toured it with NITL and no casual would know or care.

Edited by Sweersa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/21/2024 at 5:58 PM, Sweersa said:

Don't agree, the songs on Chinese were a lot better thought out, different lyrics for each verse, better vocal melodies better arrangements. While obviously not a perfect record the songs for the most part were strong and there was at least a few that everyone could agree were good songs (I would say about 8 good/great songs).

The village leak material doesn't have the cohesion, or the attention to detail the Chinese material had. 

Who knows what they sounded like in 2014 before Slash/Duff worked on them, but the general arrangements are what they were and that's a big issue along with the vocals/lyrics so I believe IF this was what CDII was it was going to be a disappointment. Saying that as a big fan of Chinese as well. Slash and Duff probably improved a few of these songs

7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Interview with Slash, released today:

You brought out two Guns N’ Roses singles last year, The General and Perhaps. Do you think there is a chance of a new Guns N’ Roses album?

Slash: I don’t know exactly when. I definitely think there will be. I find Guns N’ Roses very hard to pin down to a date, but there will be one coming in the foreseeable future.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/2024/03/25/slash-i-always-enjoy-coming-to-dublin-it-is-exciting-when-it-is-the-first-gig-on-the-run/

I know people will react to this in the same way to what Duff said in the recent interview, but it has to be shared, for informational purposes at least.

Yeah read this earlier. It's vague, Slash's foreseeable future would need Legolas eyesight😄

The takeaway here is that it's not a priority, but they are not opposed to doing a record. Basically don't hold your breath.

• Confused 1