The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I wouldn't say Slash's contributions are a problem as such. They are passable. But I believe there is a chance the song has suffered from the tinkering, including the latest changes when Duff and Slash got onto it,and that an earlier version with its original musicians would feel more coherent. Similar to Hardschool versus Hard Skool. I also don't feel Slash nails this type of music as well as Robin and Bucket. It is more of the feel of the music (Slash did really well on Perhaps, though). So yeah, I think an even better version could exist in the vault. 

I agree possibly instrumentally it may have sounded abit better in original form. Axl would be the same though using his recycled verses and bad vocals so it would still be a poor song overall.

Edited by vloors
  • Like 1

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-28/one-of-a-kind-wu-tang-album-to-be-played-at-mona-gallery/103900466
At this point Axl might as well do something like this as further torture for the long suffering fan base:

The album was recorded in secret over six years, but upon its completion, the rap group limited the album to a single two-CD physical copy.

They also deleted the digital master files, and bound the album in a legal agreement that stipulates the album cannot be commercially exploited until 2103.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Well you had Axl still singing pretty well / excellently. And that counts for more than the capacity/attendance of the shows.

I don't care at this point what gnr do. But the shows I saw 2006-2012 were head a shoulders above the NITL shows I saw. So if I was choosing to only ever be able to see a great gnr gig or just a gig with more original members I'm going to choose the "cover band".

You hit the nail on the head.  I saw those shows as well, and the voice was the difference.  That voice with slash and duff would be the best ever

• Like 3

19 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I became a die hard GnR fan after watching the live performances from '86-'93 ... Nothing about what I said regarding the Selects was "over-the-top" ....

the worst show of that era was 70% better than the best show of any later era.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I will say though, '00-'02, '06 & '09-'12 had some truly amazing performances.

I saw them in 2011 and 2012. It was nice hearing Shackler’s Revenge and This I Love with a properly played solo. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I saw them in 2011 and 2012. It was nice hearing Shackler’s Revenge and This I Love with a properly played solo. 

Were you at the Detroit 2016 show? That might be my all- time favorite TiL solo tbh

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

I saw them in 2011. While I enjoyed my shows in 16 and 17 more, I had an amazing time in 11 and I also got to hear Shacklers live!

15 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I want to hear the Nuguns version of Soul Monster mainly because I want to hear what the omitted chorus section sounds like. Who knows, it could suck, but still curious.

Absolutely, we have to hear this. Would also like to hear The General with Bucket and Finck 

• Like 3

2010 was definitely my worst GNR live experience and the least memorable GNR show I went to. A rock n roll show is far more than just the singer imo.

19 minutes ago, gavgnr said:

Absolutely, we have to hear this. Would also like to hear The General with Bucket and Finck 

Wait, it’s not Buckethead on The General?

3 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I saw a proper TIL solo in Boston 2023. Every bit as good as the original.

• Wow 1

1 hour ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I want to hear the Nuguns version of Soul Monster mainly because I want to hear what the omitted chorus section sounds like. Who knows, it could suck, but still curious.

I may have missed it, but how do we know there's missing vocals?

4 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Were you at the Detroit 2016 show? That might be my all- time favorite TiL solo tbh

I was!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

2010 год определенно был для меня худшим концертом GNR и наименее запоминающимся концертом GNR, на котором я был. По моему мнению, рок-н-ролльное шоу – это гораздо больше, чем просто певец.

Let me ask you why? What exactly did the band as a whole do wrong?

Edited by lunastar

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I may have missed it, but how do we know there's missing vocals?

In the cellphone version there's definitely a part of the chorus right before the solo that was edited out of the final version. We don't necessarily know that there are unheard vocals missing, it could just be Axl repeating the chorus or even just the "ooh whoo" parts again.

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave

1 hour ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

In the cellphone version there's definitely a part of the chorus right before the solo that was edited out of the final version. We don't necessarily know that there are unheard vocals missing, it could just be Axl repeating the chorus or even just the "ooh whoo" parts again.

I appreciate that info, I had just assumed it was a derivative of the repetitive "Monsters can't (whatever) me" but it doesn't sound as deep as what we hear in Monsters, almost like his "talking" singing like in the beginning of Patience or Don't Cry (but a little faster). I'll have to give it another listen soon. 

I'd be willing to bet out of all the active members here, someone has to have these older CD-era songs. There's no way we got 4+ leaks of 2001+ mixes of TWAT and these other songs don't circulate...

Every few years we get new leaks, so it's probably only a matter of time. :) 

4 hours ago, Free Bird said:

2010 was definitely my worst GNR live experience and the least memorable GNR show I went to. A rock n roll show is far more than just the singer imo.

Wait, it’s not Buckethead on The General?

The band has to be killing it too (I haven't seen any video of the band in 2010 not killing it IMO), but if the singer sucks the band sucks no matter what else happens on stage. So while it's the sum of all parts, the singer is still the be all/end all when it comes to good/bad performances.

2006 was my favourite gig, followed by 2012. 2010 was most memorable and best vocal then the NITL shows come after that.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

The band has to be killing it too (I haven't seen any video of the band in 2010 not killing it IMO), but if the singer sucks the band sucks no matter what else happens on stage. So while it's the sum of all parts, the singer is still the be all/end all when it comes to good/bad performances.

2006 was my favourite gig, followed by 2012. 2010 was most memorable and best vocal then the NITL shows come after that.

That might be the case for you. I was always drawn by guitars, so that’s more important to me. I know Axl wasn’t perfect in 2017 but good enough to make the whole stadium happy. There were very view moments I couldn’t enjoy.

2010 instead… Ashba and Bumble. No thanks. Not for me.

• Like 4

On 5/28/2024 at 3:15 AM, 2020_Intensions said:

The NITL singles sound NOTHING like ChiDem ... And it truly blows my mind that people think those songs are better than most, if not all  of ChiDem ... JUST because Slash is playing an uninspired and phoned in lead parts ... Give me a break

I think the NITL singles could easily replace many songs off Chinese Democracy and make it a better album, not because Slash plays on them but because I really dislike some of the songs on CD (This I Love, If The World, Rhiad, Scraped) while really liking some of the NITL singles (Hard Skool, Perhaps, The General). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Free Bird said:

That might be the case for you. I was always drawn by guitars, so that’s more important to me. I know Axl wasn’t perfect in 2017 but good enough to make the whole stadium happy. There were very view moments I couldn’t enjoy.

2010 instead… Ashba and Bumble. No thanks. Not for me.

Of course it's subjective. I'm not a fan of Ashba and as much as I love Bumble he could sometimes put a little too much of his style on the classic gnr songs live

I thought 2017 for the most part was still solid from Axl, it was 2018 to present that went down the shitter 

Funnily enough the band performance seemed to get worse in tandem with Axls voice, that should have been the sign to wrap up the NITL touring... But genius management thought otherwise. Make the short term and kill your singers voice, smart!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2024 at 2:39 PM, vloors said:

Slash isnt the problem. Axls terrible  vocals, lyrics and effects are. And they were probably exactly the same as he recorded it 20 odd years ago like all the other leftovers.

True. I absolutely love Slash's new blues album. He showed us what he can do and how it can sound. Even now.

Duff's solo work is pretty solid too. Axl is the weakest link right now. It is what it is.

Unless Axl finds a way to use his lower register more effectively GNR is basically done for. I still believe Axl can pull this off... but he has to want it. And maybe he just doesn't want to change and still believes people want to hear him scream like a dying cat.

Granted, part of this is my personal preference. I also believe Myles Kennedy's mid range sounds much better than his high pitched whine.

Edited by Lethalis
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Lethalis said:

True. I absolutely love Slash's new blues album. He showed us what he can do and how it can sound. Even now.

Duff's solo work is pretty solid too. Axl is the weakest link right now. It is what it is.

Unless Axl finds a way to use his lower register more effectively GNR is basically done for. I still believe Axl can pull this off... but he has to want it. And maybe he just doesn't want to change and still believes people want to hear him scream like a dying cat.

Granted, part of this is my personal preference. I also believe Myles Kennedy's mid range sounds much better than his high pitched whine.

You are talking about live vocals, we were talking about studio vocals (as heard on The General).

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Lethalis said:

The guy has one of the widest range ever, he lost his iconic high notes but he can still sing and if he wanted to he could make an album with vocals that would still be challenging for many. 
Honestly I think it would come out very good, I have a dream of them recording a country influenced album with a studio version of Wichita lineman and a couple of originals as singles. 
I think it’s his ego that won’t allow it, honestly it’s a shame cause I think those high pitched 80s voices are kind of out of style, while a mid range warm voice could make their music sound more contemporary. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lelex95 said:

The guy has one of the widest range ever, he lost his iconic high notes but he can still sing and if he wanted to he could make an album with vocals that would still be challenging for many. 
Honestly I think it would come out very good, I have a dream of them recording a country influenced album with a studio version of Wichita lineman and a couple of originals as singles. 
I think it’s his ego that won’t allow it, honestly it’s a shame cause I think those high pitched 80s voices are kind of out of style, while a mid range warm voice could make their music sound more contemporary. 

Agreed. Unfortunately we’re talking about a guy that was ok with DJ fucking Ashba in his solo band, so sounding good live obviously wasn't as important as bringing in those Monster fans :lol: