The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

On 7/15/2024 at 9:50 PM, 2020_Intensions said:

You're forgetting to count the remix album tracks. 

I am going to hope and pray they were not part of the 32 Axl mentioned. and I wouldn't count them as 'new' songs even though they were most likely concieved in 09/10 with ashba. 

23 hours ago, jamillos said:

I think it's debatable at the very least. And that "it's not like you either get one or the other" could be applied to your last sentence... 

well ok, if it’s debatable give me the evidence that suggests that publishing a cover would mean not publishing original material instead. 
you could apply it to my last sentence but it would mean nothing as my last sentence is merely me saying I’d rather get Wichita than nothing, I’m not suggesting those are the two available options. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Lelex95 said:

well ok, if it’s debatable give me the evidence that suggests that publishing a cover would mean not publishing original material instead. 
you could apply it to my last sentence but it would mean nothing as my last sentence is merely me saying I’d rather get Wichita than nothing, I’m not suggesting those are the two available options. 

I'd rather get Wichita than a brand new song 

48 minutes ago, Lelex95 said:

There’s no "evidence", everything here is speculation. What I had in mind is a cover being a part of a new album, not released separately as a single. And in that case, it would be more logical – if they release an album of let’s say 14 songs with one of them being a cover – that if the cover hadn’t been there, they would have put an original song there instead, rather than a situation where they wanted to release a 13-track album and then suddenly said "hey, let’s throw in an extra track on it, in the form of a cover version". Dunno, the first sounds generally more plausible to me. The way Axl probably thinks these things through, I imagine he’d have a certain comprehensive picture in mind, rather than putting there something extra on a whim. In which case the cover would indeed take up space for a GNR song. It’s hard to explain, but this is the way I see it. 

• Confused 1

@SoulMonster You should try contacting Krys Baratto sometime.. The shadow band bass player who was working when Duff and Matt were out with Neurotic Outsiders

https://metalsludge.tv/classic/?p=27355

7. Rumor has it that you may (or may not) appear on Axl?s ?Chinese Democracy? album. What was your involvement with that, how long ago did you record anything for that, and do you think it will ever actually see the light of day?

Ya know what? No. I did play on the demos that were being recorded for what I guess may be that record. This was back in like ’96 to ’97. I would like to hear it come out, I don’t think it will. If it hasn’t by now do you think it will?/

If they had Oklahoma by the time they went into Rumbo in 98 then Krys would have probably worked on at least that.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

@SoulMonster You should try contacting Krys Baratto sometime.. The shadow band bass player who was working when Duff and Matt were out with Neurotic Outsiders

https://metalsludge.tv/classic/?p=27355

7. Rumor has it that you may (or may not) appear on Axl?s ?Chinese Democracy? album. What was your involvement with that, how long ago did you record anything for that, and do you think it will ever actually see the light of day?

Ya know what? No. I did play on the demos that were being recorded for what I guess may be that record. This was back in like ’96 to ’97. I would like to hear it come out, I don’t think it will. If it hasn’t by now do you think it will?/

If they had Oklahoma by the time they went into Rumbo in 98 then Krys would have probably worked on at least that.

I have talked to Krys. There are plenty of quotes from him from our communication scattered through the history section of A4D. 

• Like 1

Both Slash and Ron have confirmed that they never actually got in a room with Axl and wrote music.

Any material that exists at this point is likely at least 20 years old. That’s around the last time Axl wrote a song for Guns. 

If material is unused in 20 years, there’s usually a fairly good reason for that… 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Rindmelon said:

8 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I have talked to Krys. There are plenty of quotes from him from our communication scattered through the history section of A4D. 

Yeah, and quotes from the conversation (as well as quotes from Krys Baratto's other interviews) can be found here:

1995-1997: KRYS BARATTO AND SID RIGGS (a-4-d.com)

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, jamillos said:

There’s no "evidence", everything here is speculation. What I had in mind is a cover being a part of a new album, not released separately as a single. And in that case, it would be more logical – if they release an album of let’s say 14 songs with one of them being a cover – that if the cover hadn’t been there, they would have put an original song there instead, rather than a situation where they wanted to release a 13-track album and then suddenly said "hey, let’s throw in an extra track on it, in the form of a cover version". Dunno, the first sounds generally more plausible to me. The way Axl probably thinks these things through, I imagine he’d have a certain comprehensive picture in mind, rather than putting there something extra on a whim. In which case the cover would indeed take up space for a GNR song. It’s hard to explain, but this is the way I see it. 

Well I was saying that I think we ain’t getting an album, rather we should expect atlas and monsters and maybe a studio Wichita. 
Even if we talk albums, covers are usually put in to fill gaps, no the other way around. 
Gnr has also previously published albums filled with filler tracks despite having more than enough big guns to live them out so it’s actually plausible that if they had a whole album and the cover they’d squeeze them in. 

34 minutes ago, Lelex95 said:

Well I was saying that I think we ain’t getting an album, rather we should expect atlas and monsters and maybe a studio Wichita. 
Even if we talk albums, covers are usually put in to fill gaps, no the other way around. 
Gnr has also previously published albums filled with filler tracks despite having more than enough big guns to live them out so it’s actually plausible that if they had a whole album and the cover they’d squeeze them in. 

Ok, let's just hope it won't be the case. And if by fillers you mean the CD album, let's not forget there was supposed to be a sequel. Which is also the answer to the people who keep wondering why Axl didn't put stuff like Hard Skool or Soul Monster there. You can't put all big guns on one record and then release a leftover crap (putting aside whether HS is a big gun or not). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Excellent point, one I have to make myself too often in these parts.

As far as HS being a big gun. The funny thing is, to me, the 2000 Village mix (and likely whatever form it was in before NITL touched it) is a big gun. But the less than ideal arrangement (in my opinion, I found the new short intro tacky) and production of the 2021 mix took it down a notch or two. I think Robin's playing suited that song well. I do like how they extended the end of the song a bit in the official version. I wonder if post-2000 pre-NITL versions had that there.

I loved the intro to 2000 Hardschool .. The dueling guitar solo at the end and then how the song itself ends .. Everything about the NITL is weird .. Regardless, Hardschool is definitely not a big gun. It's a straight forward rocker.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I loved the intro to 2000 Hardschool .. The dueling guitar solo at the end and then how the song itself ends .. Everything about the NITL is weird .. Regardless, Hardschool is definitely not a big gun. It's a straight forward rocker.  

I listened to 2000 Hardschool again last night, and there's just something magical about how that mix floated. Robin's guitars (and/or Paul's?), and Josh's drums too. Axl's vocals also sound mixed better. I would imaging a properly mixed version of the song from then, would be even more amazing. I also listened to some of the instrumentals, Oklahoma, Tonto, Zodiac 13, and a few others. Such great playing. If those songs ever come out, I hope NITL do it justice (assuming they will re-record the instrumental). State Of Grace is obviously a rough demo, but the last part, Axl's vocal delivery gives me TWAT-like and Monsters bridge goosebumps. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, We love Axl Rose said:

I totally agree! :headbang:

I assume Axl has properly recorded vocals for that song, if they didn't abandon it, I hope the same intensity was captured in such a case, or perhaps those were final vocals, in part or whole. That song, as is, with a proper vocal take and mix, with a nice guitar solo, probably Bucket or Robin, would be amazing. It very well could exist! 

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I listened to 2000 Hardschool again last night, and there's just something magical about how that mix floated. Robin's guitars (and/or Paul's?), and Josh's drums too. Axl's vocals also sound mixed better. I would imaging a properly mixed version of the song from then, would be even more amazing.

Not to me. I think the demo intro is wayyy too long, almost a full minute, for a song that simple and doesn't really fit to it imo. Like it's trying to be epic sounding but it's really not at the end. It's just long intro. The demo drums are maybe little bit better in the verses, I can see that, but that constant banging of crash symbals in the chorus is overkill. Like it's all of the sudden trying to be "rocking" instead of that "epic" style. 

Official release may be poorly mixed but it's at least constant with it's style. A fun, simple blues rock song with riff and chorus that stucks in your head.

But I never have really listened the demos, so I guess it's what you hear first or what you get used to listening. Then after that any change is going to sound "weird" heh. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, jamillos said:

Ok, let's just hope it won't be the case. And if by fillers you mean the CD album, let's not forget there was supposed to be a sequel. Which is also the answer to the people who keep wondering why Axl didn't put stuff like Hard Skool or Soul Monster there. You can't put all big guns on one record and then release a leftover crap (putting aside whether HS is a big gun or not). 

I was actually referring to uyi, I love cd I don’t think it has as many filler songs actually. 
Juts like you I hope they come out with a new album, I’m just not being optimistic about it so I won’t be disappointed. 
I hope they have so many new tracks that a cover would just take up space, but actually I’m not confident that it is the case.

specially if we talk about newly written stuff. 

If i'm allowed to make a prediction

I'd say the following songs have vocals

Obviously atlas, monsters, state of grace, eye on you, nothing

Soul monster (if it isnt monsters) se7en, zodiac, cuban skies, ides of march, tonto, oklahoma, light my fire, down by the ocean.

Considering that leaked 2008 list and axls comments

And i think there are also songs we don't know about. Just like how nothing of the general had leaked before its release and how we all thought it was monsters.

And i think songs like curly shuffle were also finished because they're too good to be dropped.

Edited by Dummy

I don't really have an opinion on what is left and what isn't anymore. I will take it if it comes. I do recall reading people debating whether he had even recorded monsters a little bit before it leaked though lol

• Like 1

On 7/19/2024 at 5:04 PM, SoulMonster said:

I summarized the above info in an image:

unrele10.png

When going through this it seems to me that the music they worked on in 1994-1996 was put on ice after Slash/Matt/Duff left. Still, they had at least 7 songs recorded after these sessions, without vocals. 

With Robin, Josh, Tommy coming in, they sort of started from scratch, coming up with new ideas. It seems this resulted in more than 60 songs by 2002 out of which about 35 were picked to be finalized and released. This number shifted a bit and some new songs were added to the list in as the band members continued to bring in new songs, and replaced others (like Better and Scraped). Anyway, the number of songs intended to be released seemed to be fairly stable around 30-35. In 2006, Axl said they were working on 32 songs.

Taking 14 (those on CD) out of the 32 they worked on in 2006, it leaves about 18 songs. In 2011, Tommy would state there is 22 unreleased songs, plus the material from 1994-1996. It could be Tommy is referring to the number of songs from before 2006, or that they increased the number again after 2006. In either case, a total of 18-22 unreleased songs likely exist in a finished or close to finished form, with at least enough finished to go on a follow-up album.

What songs are these? 

Well, four have already been released: Hard Skool, The General, Absurd and Perhaps. 

That leaves 14-18 more unreleased songs. I believe the following 7 songs are very likely to have been completed: Monsters, Atlas Shrugged, P.R.L./Thyme, State of Grace, Quicksong, Zodiac 13, and Berlin (=Oklahoma), either because they have already leaked so we know they are finished, contained vocals early on, or had some special status. 

That leaves 7-11 additional unreleased songs. There are still 14 unreleased songs on the "Rough Mixes" discs from the Village leaks, and the remaining songs could be any of these: Eye On You, Mustache, Tonto, Real doll.com, Billionaire, Dub Suplex, Devious Bastard, Dummy, Me & My Elvis, Circus Maximus, D Tune, Curly Shuffle, Nothing and As It Began. In addition comes Ides of March, but that could be an early name on any of the other songs. The remaining 7-11 songs could be any of these, or songs that came in after the Village recordings which we know nothing about. It can't be all of them, because that would bring the number of finished songs above 18-22, so some songs were abandoned at some point, and others were likely replaced with other songs.

And then we have the 7+ songs from 1994-1996.

I believe Axl intends to get them all out, all the 14-18+7. Possible as one more album and then singles and on soundtracks. I don't think he intends to abandon songs that he worked on so long. 

Incredible work. 

I would only make a comment about how Hard Skool was hinted as being one of the old songs from pre-CD era, so maybe some of those Village tracks could actually be from another time too. Or maybe it was one of the songs Tommy mentioned.