The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

7 hours ago, meadsoap said:

Axl said his height was 5' 8.5" (1.74 m) in an interview. Those women are probably just short. If they were both 5 feet tall, it would make a dramatic height difference in photo even though Axl himself is on the shorter side too.

Confirmed: Axl got leg lengthening surgery.

Leg Lengthening Surgery Cost in Turkey | Good Surgery Price

• Like 1

This sounds ridiculous, but Axl should release a trilogy of instrumental albums.

If you listen to all the CD sessions stuff that has leaked, there is so much there. Even the songs we think we previously heard a thousand times, a different mix of it leaks, and there are very prominent and interesting tracks that were completely buried and inaudible on other releases. 

He's sitting on hours upon hours of instrumentals, orchestration, jamming, etc. 

Yes, ideally, he would write new rock songs and sing on them - or, he would release songs he previously sang on. We know that isn't going to happen regularly. I won't speculate on why he is so reticent or unable to release music with vocals on it, but the urban legend has always been that the recorded vocals were the most difficult part to convince him to do.

The answer was right in front of us all this time. He should release lush instrumental albums built using the CD era tracks and parts.

mac-demarco-five-easy-hot-dogs-1280x720.

• Haha 1

On 8/5/2024 at 12:49 PM, colonizedmind said:

Yea....kinda emotional to post this. Guns should get a move on, tomorrow is NOT promised! Imagine though, if Axl last ever performance still sounded this good. Last ever "Dream On" (it seems) with Tyler pushing through coughing up blood during this....that's a true rock N roll titan...I hope he can still do studio work and alter to live solo work in new vocal keys....but may be too damaged? Here's to one of the greatest rock voices ever! Raising 🍻

What do you mean “coughing up blood?”

13 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

What do you mean “coughing up blood?”

Dude fractured his larynx....pretty serious vocal cord injury that has ended being able to sing Aerosmith range of tunes at the very least....

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2023/sep/12/aerosmith-steven-tyler-bleeding-vocal-cords-postpones-concerts

7 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Dude fractured his larynx....pretty serious vocal cord injury that has ended being able to sing Aerosmith range of tunes at the very least....

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2023/sep/12/aerosmith-steven-tyler-bleeding-vocal-cords-postpones-concerts

I’m well aware of what was reported that happened to him and why he can no longer tour I just thought you meant he was actually coughing up blood while singing in that video which is what caught me off guard. 

I’m still amazed by all of this “fractured larynx” talk. 

26 minutes ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

I’m well aware of what was reported that happened to him and why he can no longer tour I just thought you meant he was actually coughing up blood while singing in that video which is what caught me off guard. 

I’m still amazed by all of this “fractured larynx” talk. 

He has said he was during the show, obviously we don't know if during that song specifically BUT it's a pretty serious vocal injury (obviously - it's retired him) so to even finish the show with that pain has be pure adrenaline?!

9 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

He has said he was during the show, obviously we don't know if during that song specifically BUT it's a pretty serious vocal injury (obviously - it's retired him) so to even finish the show with that pain has be pure adrenaline?!

Find me someone who’s fractured their larynx while singing. 

On 8/9/2024 at 3:19 AM, colonizedmind said:

In the last 16 years, normal bands have released 7 albums....it's so depressing ! 

what bands are so productive? I mean 7 albums? This means more quantity less quality kinda

Even foo fighters had 5

34 minutes ago, Tyoma said:

what bands are so productive? I mean 7 albums? This means more quantity less quality kinda

Even foo fighters had 5

Well I simply picked whom is deemed the biggest (or close) band at the moment (sales/tour/cultural appeal) Coldplay. Next month they'll have released their 7th album since the same year Chinese came out....and that's not including a whole bunch of ep's, singles and live albums. Now this isn't about the quality of theirusic, simply that for their fan base, they kinda know the main object of their job, is to provide regular material for the fan base, to hold interest...

I was just making a comparison for effect though...1/2 decent albums in that time would have been more than exceptable by their standards and accepted by us. NOTHING is shocking! 

In less than a year it will have been the longest gap between original music albums in GNR history and I'm pretty sure even Axl in more talkative times said about 10 years ago that the wait wouldn't be "as long as Chinese, put it that way" (paraphrasing) as a retort to new music wver coming....Well mate, you have 11 months.  🤞

Edited by colonizedmind

On 8/9/2024 at 1:19 AM, colonizedmind said:

In the last 16 years, normal bands have released 7 albums....it's so depressing ! 

Axl/Slash and Duff where last in the release original albums as a collective business thing from 1988-1991.

It's been 33 years. The bands discography is still paper thin and now they're old men. Axl is years older than Tim Walz the VP nominee.

As time's went on, I'm beginning to doubt Axl ever even wanted to release Chinese Democracy. I think there's more chance of George RR Martin's - A Dream of Spring and Half Life 4 coming this decade than a new gnr track that wasn't originally recorded more than  20 plus years ago.

This is really a problem with time. When Axl said in London 1991 that we are patience ppl for waiting so long on UYI and they were working hard in all songs.... not only that will had videoclip....... this shit didnt have name for it. Its terrible.

Edited by axlvai

13 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Well I simply picked whom is deemed the biggest (or close) band at the moment (sales/tour/cultural appeal) Coldplay. Next month they'll have released their 7th album since the same year Chinese came out....and that's not including a whole bunch of ep's, singles and live albums. Now this isn't about the quality of theirusic, simply that for their fan base, they kinda know the main object of their job, is to provide regular material for the fan base, to hold interest...

I was just making a comparison for effect though...1/2 decent albums in that time would have been more than exceptable by their standards and accepted by us. NOTHING is shocking! 

In less than a year it will have been the longest gap between original music albums in GNR history and I'm pretty sure even Axl in more talkative times said about 10 years ago that the wait wouldn't be "as long as Chinese, put it that way" (paraphrasing) as a retort to new music wver coming....Well mate, you have 11 months.  🤞

I think it is more fair to compare with other bands that were popular in the late 80s and early 90s. Picking one of the biggest bands today is biased against GN'R who is a nostalgia act who was at their biggest in the 90s. How many of the bands active in the early 90s are still releasing albums, or even still exist to tour around the world?

To answer this I picked the Billboard January 1990 list (randomly; Billboard 200™) and removed all solo artists, focusing on groups/bands and their studio LPs albums (so no live or EPs):

New Kids On The Block: Have been more on and off since their heyday but did a reunion and has released three studio albums in the last 16 years.
Aerosmith: No description required. Active until very recently, released two studio albums in the last 16 years.
The B-52s: Quite similar projectory to GN'R, a nostalgia band that released their last studio album in 2008.
The Rolling Stones: No description required, released two studio albums in the last 16 years.
Motley Crue: Very similar to GN'R, released their last studio album in 2008.
Whitesnake: Still ongoing, released four studio albums in the last 16 years.
Skid Row: Again, another band very similar to GN'R, one studio album in the last 16 years.
Soul II Soul: Still touring, no albums in the last 16 years.
Rush: One studio album in the last 16 years.
Tears For Fears: Quite similar to GN'R, reunion and one studio album in the last 16 years.
Bad English: Disbanded. No studio albums in the last 16 years.
The 2 Live Crew: Still ongoing after a reunion, no studio albums in the last 16 years.
Eurythmics: Disbanded. No studio albums in the last 16 years.
Roxette: Seems to have ended now: three studio albums in the last 16 years.
Fine Young Cannibals: Well, it drives me crazy but they have disbanded and with no albums in the last 16 years.
Tesla: Still active, four new studio albums in the last 16 years.
Poco: Disbanded, one studio album in the last 16 years.
Chicago: Six studio albums in the last 16 years.
Scorpions: Three studio albums in the last 16 years.
KIX: Disbanded, one studio album in the last 16 years.
Warrant: Still active two studio albums in the last 16 years.
Technotronic: Disbanded, no albums in the last 16 years.
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Four studio albums in the last 16 years.
Kiss: Still active, two albums in the last 16 years.
Grateful Dead: Disbanded, no new albums in the last 16 years.
Bon Jovi: Six studio albums in the last 16 years.
The Cure: One studio album in the last 16 years.
Seduction: No studio albums in the last 16 years.
Duran Duran: Still active, four studio albums in the last 16 years.
Great White: Three studio albums in the last 16 years.
3rd Bass: Disbanded, no albums in the last 16 years.
The Smithereens: Still active, four albums in the last 16 years.

So, to summary, out of these 32 groups the average number of studio albums in the last 16 years is 1.9 albums. 28% had released 0 new albums in these years, and 28% of these groups are now disbanded.

Could it be better? Yes, GN'Rs output is below the average with 0.9 albums. Could it be worse? Oh, definitely, they could be among the 28% that are not active.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Haha 1

On 8/8/2024 at 4:59 AM, rumandraisin said:

Berlin/Oklahoma must have gone through so many versions just like Hard Skool did. Id wager it has nothing left from the locker disc version we have. 

People keep saying this yet we just got Monsters. There is still tons of stuff out there we just don't have.

And the weird thing is, the Monsters version we have is the slash and duff version.  Where did it even come from.

I guarantee a lot of those locker CDs that didn't vocals have vocals out there somewhere. 

EDIT

And remember people for years before the locker songs came out, said oh there is nothing else out there. but we got stuff like hard school (only a clip before but most people claimed the full song isn't out there), Perhaps a song we never had that title before, Eye on you, which is a partial song but again something never mentioned, plus nothing while crap but still something,  State of grace plus all the instrumentals.

So don't think for a second there isn't more stuff out there somewhere

its only a matter of time before it leaks.

And there is def. a BH and Finck versions of Monsters out there for sure. 

Edited by gnfnr2k
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I think it is more fair to compare with other bands that were popular in the late 80s and early 90s. Picking one of the biggest bands today is biased against GN'R who is a nostalgia act who was at their biggest in the 90s. How many of the bands active in the early 90s are still releasing albums, or even still exist to tour around the world?

To answer this I picked the Billboard January 1990 list (randomly; Billboard 200™) and removed all solo artists, focusing on groups/bands and their studio LPs albums (so no live or EPs):

New Kids On The Block: Have been more on and off since their heyday but did a reunion and has released three studio albums in the last 16 years.
Aerosmith: No description required. Active until very recently, released two studio albums in the last 16 years.
The B-52s: Quite similar projectory to GN'R, a nostalgia band that released their last studio album in 2008.
The Rolling Stones: No description required, released two studio albums in the last 16 years.
Motley Crue: Very similar to GN'R, released their last studio album in 2008.
Whitesnake: Still ongoing, released four studio albums in the last 16 years.
Skid Row: Again, another band very similar to GN'R, one studio album in the last 16 years.
Soul II Soul: Still touring, no albums in the last 16 years.
Rush: One studio album in the last 16 years.
Tears For Fears: Quite similar to GN'R, reunion and one studio album in the last 16 years.
Bad English: Disbanded. No studio albums in the last 16 years.
The 2 Live Crew: Still ongoing after a reunion, no studio albums in the last 16 years.
Eurythmics: Disbanded. No studio albums in the last 16 years.
Roxette: Seems to have ended now: three studio albums in the last 16 years.
Fine Young Cannibals: Well, it drives me crazy but they have disbanded and with no albums in the last 16 years.
Tesla: Still active, four new studio albums in the last 16 years.
Poco: Disbanded, one studio album in the last 16 years.
Chicago: Six studio albums in the last 16 years.
Scorpions: Three studio albums in the last 16 years.
KIX: Disbanded, one studio album in the last 16 years.
Warrant: Still active two studio albums in the last 16 years.
Technotronic: Disbanded, no albums in the last 16 years.
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Four studio albums in the last 16 years.
Kiss: Still active, two albums in the last 16 years.
Grateful Dead: Disbanded, no new albums in the last 16 years.
Bon Jovi: Six studio albums in the last 16 years.
The Cure: One studio album in the last 16 years.
Seduction: No studio albums in the last 16 years.
Duran Duran: Still active, four studio albums in the last 16 years.
Great White: Three studio albums in the last 16 years.
3rd Bass: Disbanded, no albums in the last 16 years.
The Smithereens: Still active, four albums in the last 16 years.

So, to summary, out of these 32 groups the average number of studio albums in the last 16 years is 1.9 albums. 28% had released 0 new albums in these years, and 28% of these groups are now disbanded.

Could it be better? Yes, GN'Rs output is below the average with 0.9 albums. Could it be worse? Oh, definitely, they could be among the 28% that are not active.

Not sure we can count disbanded and not active bands as counting. get rid of those and the average seems to be closer to 3 albums. which would have been fine. Also bands like KISS actively said no more new material and are a generation older than GnR. in terms of size, bon jovi, chilli peppers, foo fighters scorpions aerosmith are probably the best comparisons. and their output is much better. They will share a similar fan base. I agree wit can't compare to say coldplay, taylor swift etc. but those 5 we can. Axl sucks. 

• Thanks 1

I don't understand why some people always have to compare bands anyway. It makes no sense whatsoever. 
As soon as another band releases something you have someone in here going: ''oh, look, this band released another album, GnR sucks so much".
What's the point? To emphasize on the fact that GnR isn't like another band and doesn't release a lot of music? I think everyone here knows that already..........

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I don't understand why some people always have to compare bands anyway. It makes no sense whatsoever. 
As soon as another band releases something you have someone in here going: ''oh, look, this band released another album, GnR sucks so much".
What's the point? To emphasize on the fact that GnR isn't like another band and doesn't release a lot of music? I think everyone here knows that already..........

comparing is natural. We compare sports teams, jobs, films, athletes, TV shows, sexual partners and bands literally have a chart which tells us who are the most popular. It's human nature in every aspect of life. So it makes lots fo sense. It doesn't mean we can't like or dislike and have our own opinions but it is a good barometer in a discussion. To use a comparable fact to back up an argument. Not that anyone here will argue GnR are prolific, as you said, we know that already. But I think the argument is used more to say 'These guys can do it, and do it successfully, so why can't Axl?' And sometimes we need to be able to put a reason to the madness that is Axl releasing music. Just accepting it is what it is? Sure you can do that, but society wouldn't get anywhere if we just took that attitude to every aspect of life. 

Plus Soul Monsters comparison was from 2008.  Perhaps it should be how many albums have those bands released since 1993?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimiRose said:

comparing is natural. We compare sports teams, jobs, films, athletes, TV shows, sexual partners and bands literally have a chart which tells us who are the most popular. It's human nature in every aspect of life. So it makes lots fo sense. It doesn't mean we can't like or dislike and have our own opinions but it is a good barometer in a discussion. To use a comparable fact to back up an argument. Not that anyone here will argue GnR are prolific, as you said, we know that already. But I think the argument is used more to say 'These guys can do it, and do it successfully, so why can't Axl?' And sometimes we need to be able to put a reason to the madness that is Axl releasing music. Just accepting it is what it is? Sure you can do that, but society wouldn't get anywhere if we just took that attitude to every aspect of life. 

Plus Soul Monsters comparison was from 2008.  Perhaps it should be how many albums have those bands released since 1993?

You can't compare everything. I don't compare relationships either, because people are different, the way one person reacts or operates, doesn't mean another person will do the same.
And that's the same with bands, every band is different. Some release a lot, some release little, some tour a lot, some barely perform live. I think every person on this forum would love more music and doesn't like the fact this band is this way, but it's about acceptance, and if you can't accept it, maybe move on instead of whining about it like a broken record. Because again, what's the point?