The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

On 2/28/2023 at 1:00 PM, allwaystired said:

When Nu-Gnr were really struggling, playing the sort of gigs they were....something changed. Slash cane back. 

Off topic, but was Nu-GnR really struggling? I mean they weren't playing stadiums but they were still doing large theaters and arenas. I figured it was more because Tommy, Dj, and Bumble had enough. You'd think if it weren't because of that, maybe the second installment of CD would've came out. Guess we'll never know 

On 2/28/2023 at 3:50 PM, Rovim said:

nostalgia is the main draw of Gn'R. Not sure if a release of even a brand new album would have made much of a difference in ticket sales.

it seems that Axl never wanted Slash and Duff to quit Gn'R, so my guess is that after Bucket and Robin left, and after Axl had enough time to support Chinese with multiple tours, that maybe there wasn't really a good reason to keep going.

if new Gn'R was selling out massive venues, maybe Axl would have kept going and the reunion wouldn't have happened, I agree. He had to replace Bumble and Tommy anyway and he couldn't really go with another replacement that is not Slash imo anyway.

Pretty much if you look at the history. Axl was very sporadic, defensive regarding a bunch of stuff, and the band was on a path to nowhere in the mid-late 90's but he only fired Gilby Clarke and Matt Sorum who pretty much forced him to. He made efforts to get Slash back when he said he quit and Duff leaving came when he had a child and couldn't take the endless recording sessions.

Guns N' Roses are a brand that sells nostalgia at this point. They're a bucket list item for people wanting to see a legendary band with its most known members back. They're also the band that made enduring songs like November Rain, Welcome to the Jungle, SCOM, and Paradise City.

Even if someone is not super into the band they've heard those songs the last 35 years and might see them out of curiosity or because they've seen their merch at the mall or outlet stores.

Edited by mystery
  • Like 3

My girlfriend - who is a GNR fan but not as stupid as I am - basically said to me "you need to love Guns n' Roses for what they have done in the past, not for what they are now or in the future... they were great once, I don't even want them to release anything new".

So there's fans like that as well. She's just happy listening to AFD en UYI 1 and 2. And some songs from CD (mainly IRS).

Meanwhile I'm listening to the new Godsmack album and thinking "new stuff can sound great as well". I still haven't given up hope entirely, there's still that 1% chance (insert Jim Carrey meme from Dumb and Dumber). But yeah, it does look pretty hopeless lately.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Lethalis said:

My girlfriend - who is a GNR fan but not as stupid as I am - basically said to me "you need to love Guns n' Roses for what they have done in the past, not for what they are now or in the future... they were great once, I don't even want them to release anything new".

So there's fans like that as well. She's just happy listening to AFD en UYI 1 and 2. And some songs from CD (mainly IRS).

That's funny, my girlfriend likes IRS the best as well from that era of the band. 

She finds it silly that I shit talk the band due to their seemingly endless nostalgic act, cash grab, lack of releasing new material and shit mixing when they do (Absurd/Hard Skool) 

And she is right, but there's just something about them we find oh so appealing. 

From a hardcore fan standpoint, the best thing that could happen is all of the CD-era stuff leaking, with as much Bucket stuff and Axl vocals as possible. :) Then, who cares how the current band butchers those songs up for an eventual album, or more EPs. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

I hope the next single is an artsy farsty epic along the lines of Estranged and TWAT. Admittedly I eat that shit up. The General maybe?

If they release The General, I hate thinking of what Slash will play in place of Robin's guitar. 

I envision awful processed Frank drums, or Brain's drums far too low in the mix, and super loud Slash noodling throughout where brilliant Robin/Bucket playing once was. I sure hope I'm wrong. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TheSlashrose said:

I like to see many here optimistic, as I once was about a new album. But let's face it, there's no indication we're getting it unless it's released as an unannounced surprise.

Of course there are indications we are getting an album at some time :lol: Slash even flat out said that was a possibility after they had released some single songs. I am not going to bother typing up all the other indications that exist to people who have simply made up their minds.

51 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

If they release The General, I hate thinking of what Slash will play in place of Robin's guitar. 

I envision awful processed Frank drums, or Brain's drums far too low in the mix, and super loud Slash noodling throughout where brilliant Robin/Bucket playing once was. I sure hope I'm wrong. 

i am in the 99% of gnr fans who want to hear Slash.  He is associated with every hit they have.  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

It's the orchestration I'm looking forward to. If we had CD2 I always imagined the full orchestral opening they used on the 2006/10 tour as the opening to the song. I thought it'd be a 7 or 8 minute epic. 

Sadly I reckon it's been cut right down alá Hard Skool

46 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Of course there are indications we are getting an album at some time :lol: Slash even flat out said that was a possibility after they had released some single songs. I am not going to bother typing up all the other indications that exist to people who have simply made up their minds.

Yeah is Slash really more than an employee? Who knows. Axl’s “employees” have been hinting to an album for the last 10 years 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Spaghetti4twenty said:

Yeah is Slash really more than an employee? Who knows. Axl’s “employees” have been hinting to an album for the last 10 years 

Whether you call him an employee or a member or whatever is irrelevant, what matters is that he is more likely to not only be more involved in Axl's plans than, say, Chris Pitman or Dj Ashba, but also that he knows Axl better than most and would be more wary about not overselling any plans, knowing how unreliable Axl is.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fabrph5 said:

i am in the 99% of gnr fans who want to hear Slash.  He is associated with every hit they have.  

Not Better ;) 

11 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

It's the orchestration I'm looking forward to. If we had CD2 I always imagined the full orchestral opening they used on the 2006/10 tour as the opening to the song. I thought it'd be a 7 or 8 minute epic. 

Sadly I reckon it's been cut right down alá Hard Skool

I sure hope they don't cut any of the orchestration. We know Seven, Soul Monster, Thyme, and The General all have orchestration. I can't picture Slash fitting into what we heard in 2010, at least how he handled Absurd and Hard Skool, I'd love to be proven wrong. 

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes Slash says, do you hear Axl tells about it? In another words who's the boss Axl or Slash? 

On 2/28/2023 at 3:20 PM, Sweersa said:

Because at this point, best case is we get a few singles. An album is off the table, for now it seems.

I don't think 4-6 songs will be released in a compilation. An EP or EPs? I thought Slash was referring to an eventual album after they squeeze out their singles. (Just because they only played on 4-6 songs doesn't mean they can't release songs they didn't touch, which I hope is the case on an eventual album) 

Slash was hoping to make a full album after the singles are done with... So that's not happening 🤣

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Slash was hoping to make a full album after the singles are done with... So that's not happening 🤣

Perhaps, but it won't be up to Slash.

Prior to saying he wanted to make a full album, he said the singles could be assembled into a compilation or album. So which is it? (to Slash)

Edited by Sweersa

35 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Perhaps, but it won't be up to Slash.

Prior to saying he wanted to make a full album, he said the singles could be assembled into a compilation or album. So which is it? (to Slash)

I think he was thinking out loud and maybe saying some of the suggestions that were being thrown around behind the scenes. Maybe he just forgot what it was actually like working in gnr as the tour was going so smoothly

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I think he was thinking out loud and maybe saying some of the suggestions that were being thrown around behind the scenes. Maybe he just forgot what it was actually like working in gnr as the tour was going so smoothly

who knows but to me it seems like it was more than Slash thinking out loud. Like he was maybe informed by Axl and then for some reason, it didn't happen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't hear Axl talk at all. Do you? The last time he spoke about this, he expressed an interest in releasing more music, so there's that.

That was 7 years ago, we've had 5 prime ministers in the UK since then :lol: The problem with your argument is that you saying theres obviously an album coming eventually, because weve had them saying for 15 years that there's an album coming is counteracted by the fact they've been saying that for 15 years. So every indication is that when they say they have an album, they obviously don't. 

• Like 2