The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

2 hours ago, gavgnr said:

I’ve added to your post. 

There seems to be a general consensus that an album release in itself is not a good way for bands to make money. So, why don’t they package the shit out of a new record? Vinyl, special editions, extras etc. like other bands do. Maybe when they say they haven’t figured out how to release new music, what they really mean is they haven’t come to an agreement (or are unable to come up with a game plan) for a packaged release money spinner. My view is that this is where an industry professional as manager would work wonders. The Betas have proven themselves in terms of organising tours, but that will have limited record company involvement. Maybe they struggle with negotiations with the label (or the label finds it difficult to deal with them) in terms of new music releases? 

I don't think there's any issue anymore. It's just a question of what Axl wants to do, how, and when. Package the shit out of it all you want, rock albums don't sell anymore imo. 

Edited by Rovim

They could just sell the album at concerts.  A quick google search shows it costs about $1 to make a CD, so they're rich, they could print 50,000 CDS.  Another thousand dollars would make quick covers, which the band could even autograph if they really care.  The audience would be walking by the sales booth to get a t-shirt or beer anyway, and if they don't sell in one location, just move them to the next one.

It would be quick, cheap, easy and just doing so would promote to the world that there's a brand-new album, so it wouldn't even matter if they play the songs on stage, they could stick with all the old stuff and fans would listen to the new work when they get home.

If you insist on doing vinyl, that's also doable although it looks like it would $10.  Oh well, if you can afford a ticket to their concerts, you've got money to burn and the result would be the same.  There are musical acts that used to sell records out of the trunk of their car, it's not like this is unheard of.  Of course *someone* in the band might prefer to have a long-term expensive plan that takes years to happen and then stops long before it ever starts.

Edited by ChrisW
The post cried out "edit me!"

5 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

They could just sell the album at concerts.  A quick google search shows it costs about $1 to make a CD, so they're rich, they could print 50,000 CDS.  Another thousand dollars would make quick covers, which the band could even autograph if they really care.  The audience would be walking by the sales booth to get a t-shirt or beer anyway, and if they don't sell in one location, just move them to the next one.

It would be quick, cheap, easy and just doing so would promote to the world that there's a brand-new album, so it wouldn't even matter if they play the songs on stage, they could stick with all the old stuff and fans would listen to the new work when they get home.

If you insist on doing vinyl, that's also doable although it looks like it would $10.  Oh well, if you can afford a ticket to their concerts, you've got money to burn and the result would be the same.  There are musical acts that used to sell records out of the trunk of their car, it's not like this is unheard of.  Of course *someone* in the band might prefer to have a long-term expensive plan that takes years to happen and then stops long before it ever starts.

Vinyl would probably make them more money than CDs - they can sell a few different versions on their website, plus walmart exclusive variants, target exclusive, deluxe editions, etc.

Did they sell the Hardschool CD at shows? It would've made sense to sell the physical copies at the merch booth, and they had physical displays in music stores in Japan, but I don't know if they actually sold them at shows...

• Like 1

"The thing with Tattoo You wasn't that we'd stopped writing new stuff, it was a question of time. We'd agreed we were going to go out on the road and we wanted to tour behind a record. There was no time to make a whole new album and make the start of the tour."
- Keith Richards

Have various option to see the band this year (Abu Dhabi, Glastonbury, Glasgow). But for the first time ever I honestly don’t feel the need to spend money on the same show I’ve seen 3 times already. Kinda surprised this year’s shows are even happening with no new music. Can’t say I agree with it TBH 

14 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Vinyl would probably make them more money than CDs - they can sell a few different versions on their website, plus walmart exclusive variants, target exclusive, deluxe editions, etc.

Did they sell the Hardschool CD at shows? It would've made sense to sell the physical copies at the merch booth, and they had physical displays in music stores in Japan, but I don't know if they actually sold them at shows...

This is how Bon Jovi had a number 1 album a few years back. Selling the album at shows or including it with the ticket price is a no brainer.

1 hour ago, Karice said:

To the fans ragging and dragging Axl's current and recent voice, I wonder what would happen if he decides in 2023 to lipsynch his old vocals from say 1991 to appease the fans but still dance very energetically like he usually does. 🤔 Would fans be all,🤘 about him lisynching his old vocals from 1991 to appease them or would they be like 🤢?

1. it's a ridiculous question

2. it has nothing to do with a possible new album

1 hour ago, vloors said:

This is how Bon Jovi had a number 1 album a few years back. Selling the album at shows or including it with the ticket price is a no brainer.

MetallicA too. I ended up with a couple of CD copies of Hardwired after getting concert tickets…..I’m surprised more bands don’t do it TBH.

GNR is a nostalgia act. Thats where they are. They play big shows and fans want them to play material that is 30 years old 

Could they do an album? Sure. Would it have any ripple in the music world? Would it matter to anyone outside of these fan groups? The answer is No. Those days are over and the people who go to shows simply don’t want to hear it. If the hang up is the big success of releasing an album, then that is something that will never see the light of day

Seems like the most we’ll see is a few songs here and there to grab a headline and sell some tickets. They will contain 20 year old vocals and sound disjointed like we’ve already heard. It’s minimal effort 

Edited by guitarpatch
  • GNFNR 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

Axl is clueless and has no idea what to do, that's what all the evidence suggests. 

I think he has too many ideas of what to do but lacks any ability to mobilize any of those ideas. And I think when one of his plans is going ahead he's probably second guessing it so much along the way that it falls apart. 

He is clueless though. It's an open goal and has been for a long time, he just refuses to see it that way.

my theory is Axl knows very much what he's doing, at least 2-3 years in advance, and that since at least the UYI period.
some of his plans can be delayed by things no one can imagine, pandemic, changes in record companies, departures of musicians...but in the end he has a clear idea about what he wants and what are the ideal conditions to release new material. I think in a way he prefers to keep a song 10 years for himself to see if its pass the test of time and if not, he must keep it somewhere in a vault. during the pandemic Slash & Duff worked on CD leftovers so at least we'll have that. after the tour the plan is to work from scratch, and it will be the most difficult part in my opinion...

Edited by DeNfr
  • Like 2

If they actually only release 6 or so re-worked CD2 songs and leave the rest in the vault, that would be a sin.

At the very least, I was expecting to hear CD2 butchered by Slash.

Now it seems we may get half of that. 

Another year in GN'R land.

And to think in 2010, I actually thought we may get CD2 then, and was worried about Bumble's parts recorded over Bucket's.

I never would have guessed I'd welcome that 2010 album many times over what we will probably eventually get, if anything at all...

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

6 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

If they actually only release 6 or so re-worked CD2 songs and leave the rest in the vault, that would be a sin.

At the very least, I was expecting to hear CD2 butchered by Slash.

Now it seems we may get half of that. 

Another year in GN'R land.

And to think in 2010, I actually thought we may get CD2 then, and was worried about Bumble's parts recorded over Bucket's.

I never would have guessed I'd welcome that 2010 album many times over what we will probably eventually get, if anything at all...

After Hardschool/Absurd I'd be fine with only getting 2-4 more CD era songs. I'd love to hear all of it, but at this point I'd rather wait for a CD box set and get all the 98-08 songs/instrumentals, the remixes and whatever else exists, as they existed in the CD era.

I don't think Bumble was a necessary addition to CD but I'd infinitely prefer to hear those versions of the songs over the even more Frankensteined Slash/Duff versions...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

After Hardschool/Absurd I'd be fine with only getting 2-4 more CD era songs. I'd love to hear all of it, but at this point I'd rather wait for a CD box set and get all the 98-08 songs/instrumentals, the remixes and whatever else exists, as they existed in the CD era.

I don't think Bumble was a necessary addition to CD but I'd infinitely prefer to hear those versions of the songs over the even more Frankensteined Slash/Duff versions...

I could't agree more, and you make a great point. A CD box set with the Robin and Bucket mixes of all material, and mixes prior and after with Bumblefoot would be hella cool.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

Let's face it. There won't be new music. They don't even manage to release the old music with Axl's old recordings, how is he supposed to record new lyrics. He's finished. There's nothing more in the tank creatively. Maybe he's got some mental issues, is afraid of releasing something. Is probably unsure of his work. I don't  know... but don't wait for a  record with new material. Don't waste your time and hopes.

• GNFNR 1

I stand by the hope that Guns N'Roses is actually waiting until 2027 to make a completely new Album, as a way to commemorate/celebrate (Hey, that rhymes,! 😀 the 40 year Anniversary of Appetite For Destruction Album. 😀🤘 It would be incredibly Rock and Roll of them to be planning to be dropping a new album in 2027 for the 40 year Anniversary of Appetite For Destruction Album. 😀🤘

Edited by Karice
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sweersa said:
9 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I could't agree more, and you make a great point. A CD box set with the Robin and Bucket mixes of all material, and mixes prior and after with Bumblefoot would be hella cool.

Yeah, if that boxset came out I wouldn’t give two shits about the lack of productivity of the current band and I’d be happy to go see them perform the old hits in concert.

Edited by gavgnr
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Karice said:

I stand by the hope that Guns N'Roses is actually waiting until 2027 to make a completely new Album, as a way to commemorate/celebrate (Hey, that rhymes,! 😀 the 40 year Anniversary of Appetite For Destruction Album. 😀🤘 It would be incredibly Rock and Roll of them to be planning to be dropping a new album in 2027 for the 40 year Anniversary of Appetite For Destruction Album. 😀🤘

Hope, Wishes & Dreams - dangerous things on the GNR forum. But I'm with you, I really hope they're planning something big.