The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

22 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'm not sure what he's on about anyway- The Who released a new album in 2019. Got to number 3 in the UK album chart.....and number 1 in the US album chart. 

If releasing a new album under four years ago and it getting to number one indicates to him his fans don't want new music from them, then I wonder what would! 

I agree. I saw them on that tour too, and it was the worst live performance of any band I've ever seen, and they still sold it well. :P 

Their opening act was better. Dirty Honey. Their first stadium performance. They sounded a bit like old Guns. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

It already is a brand more than a band. And there is no money to be made. All profits in the music world today come from touring & merch not actual music. Everybody says this. Why are delusional GnR fans convinced that some secret elusive vault of unreleased material from musicians that aren't involved in the band and of the same sessions as the previous unsuccessful album is going to be a gold mine???? PSYCHOSIS 

they have money.  Why do all other bands who dont need money like Ozzy, the stones, RHCP, etc, etc, etc keep releasing music?  I dont think any of them are banking on making money on new music.  I guess if you like to write music, you do

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I don't think anyone expects the CD leftovers to sell millions, but there's money to be made from what they've got in the vault. A CD box set would make a bit of money, but they could also make a lot by selling documentaries to Netflix, starting a streaming service for their old concert recordings, etc.

Yeah, I'm not saying new GnR wont make ANY money ... My point is that it will not make anywhere near the amount of money that would make actually pursuing the release of said music worth it. And when it comes to unreleased material from '98-'14 there just is no precedent with this band to think that would actually see an official release, and would especially be such a lack-luster financial return. GnR is finished when Axl retires or dies. There will be no post-band releases. It will be merch merch merch

2 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Yeah, I'm not saying new GnR wont make ANY money ... My point is that it will not make anywhere near the amount of money that would make actually pursuing the release of said music worth it. And when it comes to unreleased material from '98-'14 there just is no precedent with this band to think that would actually see an official release, and would especially be such a lack-luster financial return. GnR is finished when Axl retires or dies. There will be no post-band releases. It will be merch merch merch

I think the opposite - when Axl dies, Team Brazil will empty as much of the vault as they can. Not that I'm holding my breath, but it wouldn't be surprising if they put out a few more overpriced boxes or live albums at least.

A CD box probably wouldn't sell as much as the AFD box but there's still ways to make money off it. 

Axl: I need a new pool, how about releasing a new single to earn money? How much do we earn releasing a new single?
Fernando: we earn $0.005 for every stream on spotify. We need like 10 million streams to pay for the pool
Axl: no, too much work. I'm going to do a couple more shows and it's already paid

On 3/15/2023 at 9:44 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

I think the opposite - when Axl dies, Team Brazil will empty as much of the vault as they can. Not that I'm holding my breath, but it wouldn't be surprising if they put out a few more overpriced boxes or live albums at least.

A CD box probably wouldn't sell as much as the AFD box but there's still ways to make money off it. 

I’d be all in on a CD box set. As long as as it was properly priced and probably more importantly…they don’t make too many and oversubscribe….the hardcore will lap that up.

On 3/15/2023 at 3:07 PM, Sweersa said:

I agree. I saw them on that tour too, and it was the worst live performance of any band I've ever seen, and they still sold it well. :P 

Their opening act was better. Dirty Honey. Their first stadium performance. They sounded a bit like old Guns. 

That's usually a bad sign when the Opening Act is better than the Headliners.... 🤐

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/15/2023 at 3:19 PM, fabrph5 said:

they have money.  Why do all other bands who dont need money like Ozzy, the stones, RHCP, etc, etc, etc keep releasing music?  I dont think any of them are banking on making money on new music.  I guess if you like to write music, you do

I don't understand why it's so hard for people to realize that the Chinese Democracy era just soured Axl on that side of the industry.  He clearly has no desire to record and release music anymore.  Maybe he still writes, who knows.  But the whole experience clearly just rubbed him the wrong way and probably drove him a bit mad.

He is in his 60s now living an awesome life, traveling the world.  Everyone always says the money blah blah blah and I'm sure that has something to do with it but honestly I think Axl just likes to travel.  And go around the world.  He is a man of culture.  He's literally living his life the way he wants to.  

On 3/15/2023 at 8:19 PM, fabrph5 said:

All bands are different. You have some that continue releasing music and some that don't. 

• ABSUЯD 1

19 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

I don't understand why it's so hard for people to realize that the Chinese Democracy era just soured Axl on that side of the industry.  He clearly has no desire to record and release music anymore.  Maybe he still writes, who knows.  But the whole experience clearly just rubbed him the wrong way and probably drove him a bit mad.

He is in his 60s now living an awesome life, traveling the world.  Everyone always says the money blah blah blah and I'm sure that has something to do with it but honestly I think Axl just likes to travel.  And go around the world.  He is a man of culture.  He's literally living his life the way he wants to.  

While this is undoubtedly true, it was some 15 years ago. Axl was under all kinds of pressure (label, managers/producers, the fans, the press) and had something to prove, since the still non-existent album basically had become a legend (and a subject of jokes) even before its release, plus he had to show what he can achieve without the "old friends". 

Today, he doesn’t have to rush anything. He definitely must feel some pressure too, because whatever they’ll release as a full record will get compared to the original era records mercilessly. But he does have all the time in the world (aging and vocal form don’t matter, as he can use old recordings – see the last singles), and nobody dictates him anything any longer. 
I strongly criticize what they’ve (not) been doing since ca 2018, but I don’t think some fear of the same CD era shit is the reason things take him a lot of time now. They’re just enjoying the ride. As you say, living the life. 

25 minutes ago, axlfan88 said:

Neither Axl nor the rest of the band should care about the pressure. If they consider that the new songs are good enough to be released, they should go ahead. It's only music, it's not that important.

That’s easy to say, but it’s not your career or legacy.

56 minutes ago, MANEK said:

That’s easy to say, but it’s not your career or legacy.

If they consider that the songs are average (or bad), they shouldn't release them. It's up to them, really.

I still don't see why Axl or the other members should feel any kind of pressure. It's just music, some will like it and others won't, big deal. Nothing to worry about.

13 minutes ago, axlfan88 said:

If they consider that the songs are average (or bad), they shouldn't release them. It's up to them, really.

I still don't see why Axl or the other members should feel any kind of pressure. It's just music, some will like it and others won't, big deal. Nothing to worry about.

That’s not exactly how it always works when you’re one of the biggest rock icons in the world, the music world once used to be your oyster, every move you did used to be dragged in the media (and the world knew stuff about your personal/family life), and on top of that you’re a very self-aware and probably sensitive guy setting your goals really high for whatever personal reasons. There's incredible history behind this fella/band, and you're looking at it from 2023 point of view, disregarding the whole context. 
So yeah, the record will be crucial, even if (or maybe especially if) it’s the last complex thing they release. 

Honestly, about being afraid to release a new album is not an excuse, I don't know if Axl is really the main obstacle to release it, it could be the label, other important bands released good albums that the media didn't pay attention to, with the last albums of Iron Maiden, Kiss, Rolling Stones. The bands that the media pay attention to are always the same, ACDC, Metallica, Foo Fighters and some new bands, this is completely understandable since Axl himself distanced himself from the media due to mistakes and decisions made by himself, the CD is an album which has aged well, but I think the remaining material or at least what I've heard from the 2019 leaks is more promising and would sound superior to me since UYI.

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, TheSlashrose said:

Honestly, about being afraid to release a new album is not an excuse, I don't know if Axl is really the main obstacle to release it, it could be the label, other important bands released good albums that the media didn't pay attention to, with the last albums of Iron Maiden, Kiss, Rolling Stones. The bands that the media pay attention to are always the same, ACDC, Metallica, Foo Fighters and some new bands, this is completely understandable since Axl himself distanced himself from the media due to mistakes and decisions made by himself, the CD is an album which has aged well, but I think the remaining material or at least what I've heard from the 2019 leaks is more promising and would sound superior to me since UYI.

Serious question- because I honestly don't know- does a label/media group of some sort care whether or not GnR release new music (either individual songs or an LP) at this point? They already know there's no real money in it for them, don't they?

The serious money these days is from live shows and licensing/royalties of their modest yet hugely successful back catalog, so why would a label bother to try to impede their desire to release new music? The climate was obviously different 20 years ago when they were trying to ensure CD would be a massive success, but the economic reality of the music business has changed completely, and no one expects anything monumental from them now.

Edited by Rodzilla72
Add to post