The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

38 minutes ago, Rodzilla72 said:

Serious question- because I honestly don't know- does a label/media group of some sort care whether or not GnR release new music (either individual songs or an LP) at this point? They already know there's no real money in it for them, don't they?

The serious money these days is from live shows and licensing/royalties of their modest yet hugely successful back catalog, so why would a label bother to try to impede their desire to release new music? The climate was obviously different 20 years ago when they were trying to ensure CD would be a massive success, but the economic reality of the music business has changed completely, and no one expects anything monumental from them now.

I agree, there's really no pressure anymore. It's either all in Axl's head or he's just lazy/ not interested.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MANEK said:

That’s easy to say, but it’s not your career or legacy.

If the songs fit with GnR's legacy, the risk is very small.

It's only a risk if they would try something completely different. If Axl starts rapping and Slash tries to play piano... yes, they should worry. But otherwise they should be fine :lol:

Edited by Lethalis

1 hour ago, Lethalis said:

If the songs fit with GnR's legacy, the risk is very small.

It's only a risk if they would try something completely different. If Axl starts rapping and Slash tries to play piano... yes, they should worry. But otherwise they should be fine :lol:

Everyone wants to hear a 60 year old millionaire rapping, what's wrong with you??

• GNFNR 2

5 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Everyone wants to hear a 60 year old millionaire rapping, what's wrong with you??

I got ragged and dragged for suggesting Axl Collaborate with Lil Wayne, a Rapper who has been in the Music Business for 28 years.. Just saying... 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Karice

9 hours ago, Karice said:

I got ragged and dragged for suggesting Axl Collaborate with Lil Wayne, a Rapper who has been in the Music Business for 28 years.. Just saying... 🤷‍♀️

I love the idea of him working with a rapper but not lil wayne. Nas would be so much better, or maybe Jay Z who has done rock cross over stuff before.

9 hours ago, Karice said:

Although IMO your suggestion would be rancid, I am talking about Axl himself rapping rather than collaborating with a rapper. 

Based on the age of the band, and how long it takes a do a album, you would have to assume this will be the last GNR Album.

Maybe doing another UYI and come out with a double album or more to get all the songs out that Axl, Duff and Slash wants to in one last album. 

Hence why its taking so long.

I was convinced on a 2022 release, based on the "14 years of silence, 14 years of pain" Theory.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Seems like Slash was in the studio with Steven Tyler. Also probably where meegans story from recently came from.Screenshot_20230318-142446.thumb.png.5d0d69df82384bbff33b426910047f8d.png

Walk This Way to The Jungle by Aerosmith/GNR feat. Cyprus Hill and Run DMC. There's your rap combo and rumours married.

• Haha 2

is anyone else think one or maybe *the* reason there's no new album since CD is the fact that Axl sold his publishing rights in 2005 for 19 millions to Sanctuary Music Group? 

for what I understand his rights will revert in 2025 so if it's the case we'll have to wait a little bit more, OR there's no very much effect on CD leftovers and we can have that before a brand new Axl/Slash/duff LP? 

Edited by DeNfr

14 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

is anyone else think one or maybe *the* reason there's no new album since CD is the fact that Axl sold his publishing rights in 2005 for 19 millions to Sanctuary Music Group? 

for what I understand his rights will revert in 2025 so if it's the case we'll have to wait a little bit more, OR there's no very much effect on CD leftovers and we can have that before a brand new Axl/Slash/duff LP? 

This has been discussed before.

No, Axl's publishing deal doesn't seem to be related to the release of music or lack there off. Also, Sanctuary, including Axl's deal, was bought out by Universal in 2007, so Universal has co-owned Axl's publishing since then and we don't know the current status of the deal.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

No, Axl's publishing deal doesn't seem to be related to the release of music or lack there off. Also, Sanctuary, including Axl's deal, was bought out by Universal in 2007, so Universal has co-owned Axl's publishing since then and we don't know the current status of the deal.

Yeah and if Axl was afraid to release new music he could say "Well I want to but the lawyers won't let me". 

Over two decades I've read sooo many theories about lack of music. Expectations are based on standards. You can't complain about unfulfilled expectations if standards weren't there in the first place. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I'm sure everything was discussed before, I've read opinions, but nothing really legally argumented...the fact that Universal absorbed Sanctuary Group didn't changed much things I suppose, just the name of publishing owner.

33 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

I'm sure everything was discussed before, I've read opinions, but nothing really legally argumented...the fact that Universal absorbed Sanctuary Group didn't changed much things I suppose, just the name of publishing owner.

Well, CD was released while the deal was in place (after the Sanctuary buyout by Universal) and two songs were released in 2021, so there's that...

12 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Well, CD was released while the deal was in place (after the Sanctuary buyout by Universal) and two songs were released in 2021, so there's that...

yeah, I don't know, maybe releasing CD was a clause of the deal...we know how Axl wants to release music "in the perfect conditions", so I was genuinely asking myself what could be an obstacle to these

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 4:11 PM, TheSlashrose said:

Honestly, about being afraid to release a new album is not an excuse, I don't know if Axl is really the main obstacle to release it, it could be the label, other important bands released good albums that the media didn't pay attention to, with the last albums of Iron Maiden, Kiss, Rolling Stones. The bands that the media pay attention to are always the same, ACDC, Metallica, Foo Fighters and some new bands, this is completely understandable since Axl himself distanced himself from the media due to mistakes and decisions made by himself, the CD is an album which has aged well, but I think the remaining material or at least what I've heard from the 2019 leaks is more promising and would sound superior to me since UYI.

If gnr released a proper album the media would pay attention.

And the reason those bands always get attention when they put out records is because they have a team that tries everything so that they are shoved down everybody's throats. Maiden do this as well... Also their management teams are really involved and move mountains for them. Gnr's only obstacle is themselves and how they want to operate and potentially release things. The label are not to blame. If Axl contacted them today and said I want to release 12 songs a week from today, they aren't going to refuse, they might ask to hold off until they can get physical formats ready for sale but that's as close to no as it gets.

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

If gnr released a proper album the media would pay attention.

And the reason those bands always get attention when they put out records is because they have a team that tries everything so that they are shoved down everybody's throats. Maiden do this as well... Also their management teams are really involved and move mountains for them. Gnr's only obstacle is themselves and how they want to operate and potentially release things. The label are not to blame. If Axl contacted them today and said I want to release 12 songs a week from today, they aren't going to refuse, they might ask to hold off until they can get physical formats ready for sale but that's as close to no as it gets.

Hell, Axl could sing 10 brand new songs completely Acapella into a cassette tape like the ones from the 90's and give it to a Record Label and Fans would buy that in a heartbeat! 😁😄🤘

The music industry has changed, Albums isn't where the money is now, touring and merchandise is.

Bands need new songs and albums to build the fanbase to get fans to concerts.

These old school bands can have massive tours just on the back of the old albums and don't need new material.

I am a big Twisted Sister fan and look at the tour they did and how successful it was.

GNR don't need a Album, but I firmly believe the band what and need a album as a final last push to a career that isn't as big as it really should of been.

I remember hearing about them in 1986 in a two paragraph article in Kerrang, as one's to look out for in the future. Two years later the world was at their feet but for whatever reasons they couldn't keep it together.

Imagine how big they could be now if they had a kept it together and did an Album every 2-3 years......

My point is.... Deep down that must hurt Axl, Slash & Duff. They need a Album and it needs to be perfect.