The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

4 hours ago, gavgnr said:

But what a great album it is!! Been blasting it in the car all weekend 

Agree 1000%- I won't derail this pinned fantasy-based thread about a hypothetical "new" GnR album, but I love the new Metallica record, and their level of promo has been off the charts (Kimmel residency, all over Social, interviews, dropping songs & videos leading up to release date, etc).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rodzilla72 said:

Agree 1000%- I won't derail this pinned fantasy-based thread about a hypothetical "new" GnR album, but I love the new Metallica record, and their level of promo has been off the charts (Kimmel residency, all over Social, interviews, dropping songs & videos leading up to release date, etc).

Metallica is a real band, taking risks, writing about their current lives, letting people in.

Gnr is so far away from that, it's just a completely  different game.

Sad but true.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, gavgnr said:

But what a great album it is!! Been blasting it in the car all weekend 

Took a minute, but I've come around a bit on the new album. 

Also agreed, Metallica are the kings at knowing how to release a record with maximum exposure. GNR are outskooled, even IF they ever release an album again they won't pull it off as well as this, just don't have the team or know how

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Sp1at update at Gnrevo: 

Hiya,

Songs are coming out soon, summertime. Record label are the goto for this, band members vague on anything

Year off next year, assumed from external parties and plans outside gnr

Glastonbury will have at least one guest possibly, source, the guest. Very guessable lol

Elton

I know these updates don't usually amount to much, but this is good news. Sp1at is a promoter who usually gets his news from the management of band members (which is why the updates usually don't contain any real news on new music). A while back he said he found the band's contact at Universal. This is the first time he's used the label as a source for a concrete timeframe on new music.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Sp1at update at Gnrevo: 

Hiya,

Songs are coming out soon, summertime. Record label are the goto for this, band members vague on anything

Year off next year, assumed from external parties and plans outside gnr

Glastonbury will have at least one guest possibly, source, the guest. Very guessable lol

What sense does it make to drop an album this summer … then take a year off from touring? 😂 

It’s exact opposite of how they should have done this. Release a record post-Covid ahead of two and a half years of touring. 

There’s no new record. And even if there was one, they would just surprise release it without any real promo and never discuss it. Like I said, I’m bored with this “mystery.”

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

What sense does it make to drop an album this summer … then take a year off from touring? 😂 

It’s exact opposite of how they should have done this. Release a record post-Covid ahead of two and a half years of touring. 

There’s no new record. And even if there was one, they would just surprise release it without any real promo and never discuss it. Like I said, I’m bored with this “mystery.”

Album? He said songs. Likely a couple of songs coming out while touring, like they did with Hardskool and Absurd. 

• Like 1

I'd guess Atlas and Berlin, although I recall Slash saying there were 3 or 4 I think. If they do come out I hope they drop at the same time and not seperate like the last 2

Edited by Shacklermyrye

7 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Metallica is a real band, taking risks, writing about their current lives, letting people in.

Gnr is so far away from that, it's just a completely  different game.

Sad but true.

What risks? To me Metallica in 2000s has been probably most safe non-risk band in the world. 

But good for you liking the new record. I thought it was their most boring one yet.

8 minutes ago, tboneman said:

What risks? To me Metallica in 2000s has been probably most safe non-risk band in the world. 

But good for you liking the new record. I thought it was their most boring one yet.

They released 4 records since 2003, with plenty killer songs. They made 2 movies and 3/4 concert dvd's, blu-rays. Toured every year with various show themes (supporting new records, full black album, setlist voted by fans, 2 shows different set,...). Not that it was a good record but St. Anger was far removed from the classic Metallica sound if that counts as 'risk'. Their Through The Never movie was a flop were they lost a lot of money. Risk? Releasing a documentary from the darkest moments of their career...risk? Metallica remains a super active band who gives their fans what they want and is not affraid to take risks in my opinion. The last two albums were more Metallica by numbers if you want, but at least they care to record and release albums.

• Like 2

We were also told the new songs were coming last summer and 2023 was a possible year off. When they say a year off, i have to laugh. A year off from what? a year off from an average of less than 1 show per week doing the same thing you've done for 14 years? 

• Like 1

I have just listened to a positive review on Metallicas new rec;ord which has made me feel even more disappointed and bored with GnR.  I find it sad to watch them now as they are just no where close to the exciting and innovative band they once were.  How people can change over the years, I think with Axl it is his mental health but overall money.  

Just Sad.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

I would assume (if it's true) it's not a record and it's just the remaining singles. But yeah, if the plan is summer then why aren't they releasing a single now to get some hype going, feels like they are missing the point a little... At this rate expect to hear all remaining songs on the day if the last show of 2023😄

Next year is a year off (thank the heavens brutha!) So maybe at some point in that time they decide to write something brand new? Unlikely but who knows.

1 hour ago, Master Of Reality said:

They released 4 records since 2003, with plenty killer songs. They made 2 movies and 3/4 concert dvd's, blu-rays. Toured every year with various show themes (supporting new records, full black album, setlist voted by fans, 2 shows different set,...). Not that it was a good record but St. Anger was far removed from the classic Metallica sound if that counts as 'risk'. Their Through The Never movie was a flop were they lost a lot of money. Risk? Releasing a documentary from the darkest moments of their career...risk? Metallica remains a super active band who gives their fans what they want and is not affraid to take risks in my opinion. The last two albums were more Metallica by numbers if you want, but at least they care to record and release albums.

Okay. I assumed we were speaking just musically. That documentary and movie, yeah you can say they're risks, financial risks maybe but not musically.

Releasing live stuff and have a setlist voted by fans etc. are not risks imo. Even that Lulu thing was basic by numbers Metallica riffs but just Lou Reed babbling over the songs like Abe Simpson. 

And but yes, they have released 4 albums since 2003 and I guess that's better than nothing. And yes, most fans liked them. But not all, and to me it was "seven years and this is best you can do? Again?" Long and uninspiring songs with even more uninspiring solos. Kirk must be the most boring guitarist on the planet. No edge or bite whatsoever. It was like AI made this record. 

But then again, I am more of Megadeth fan than Metallica fan. And they released 8 albums since 2001! Probably some Metallica fanforum members are jealous of that. But I don't compare it to GNR because it's pointless. 

Edited by tboneman

On 4/14/2023 at 10:05 PM, Stress Fracture said:

Axl is a recluse with no family. I’ve felt for the longest time that he simply doesn’t have anything in his life to inspire new GNR lyrics anymore. He’s said all he needs to.

Haven’t seen this take before, but it’s an interesting and depressing one. Probably quite true too. The pool from which they’re drawing from, the unfinished chidem stuff… those lyrics are very old. Maybe they just don’t mean that much to axl anymore. Stephanie Seymour, his fueds… they’re ancient history. Is there anything anyone here is still furious about from 20 years ago? Or at least furious enough to dredge it up and release it in song form? 

so his other option is to, as most musicians tend to, write and record something pertinent to his current frame of mind. But as you say, what is there to write about if you live in isolation, with people who don’t put a foot wrong around you because you’re their employer? Sad really. 

well, not that sad, he is a multi millionaire several times over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tboneman said:

Okay. I assumed we were speaking just musically. That documentary and movie, yeah you can say they're risks, financial risks maybe but not musically.

Releasing live stuff and have a setlist voted by fans etc. are not risks imo. Even that Lulu thing was basic by numbers Metallica riffs but just Lou Reed babbling over the songs like Abe Simpson. 

And but yes, they have released 4 albums since 2003 and I guess that's better than nothing. And yes, most fans liked them. But not all, and to me it was "seven years and this is best you can do? Again?" Long and uninspiring songs with even more uninspiring solos. Kirk must be the most boring guitarist on the planet. No edge or bite whatsoever. It was like AI made this record. 

But then again, I am more of Megadeth fan than Metallica fan. And they released 8 albums since 2001! Probably some Metallica fanforum members are jealous of that. But I don't compare it to GNR because it's pointless. 

What would you consider a musical risk for Metallica? And do you actually want that? I almost guarantee if they did do some dramatic risk on this record then people would not be liking this record as much right now. For me I always enjoyed their more experimental side. And Lulu was definitely a risk, musically and commercially.

From 91-2003 they messed with formula, and you'll notice that those are also the years that internet fans squabble about most. 

I think there's more old than new on the new record in terms of ideas but there is some balance. As for megadeth, they have released a lot of albums but for me Dystopia/sick the dying/Endgame there's little to no musical differences happening besides a new guitar player with a different approach. And that's fine, the same thing is happening with Metallica where they are resting in a safe musical place where they release new stuff the majority enjoy but it's not pushing the boat out too far as to lose very many.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

What would you consider a musical risk for Metallica?

playing inside an active volcano. 

55 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

Haven’t seen this take before, but it’s an interesting and depressing one. Probably quite true too. The pool from which they’re drawing from, the unfinished chidem stuff… those lyrics are very old. Maybe they just don’t mean that much to axl anymore. Stephanie Seymour, his fueds… they’re ancient history. Is there anything anyone here is still furious about from 20 years ago? Or at least furious enough to dredge it up and release it in song form? 

so his other option is to, as most musicians tend to, write and record something pertinent to his current frame of mind. But as you say, what is there to write about if you live in isolation, with people who don’t put a foot wrong around you because you’re their employer? Sad really. 

I think it's a mistake to think that just because a musician is rich, older, and famous, there is nothing more for them to say. Not to compare talent here, but Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave, etc. If you need more examples, I'll make a list. all of these people still had something to say when they were at Axl's current age and beyond that as well imo.

also, Axl released Absurd and HS 20 years more or less after those were written so at least partially, he seems to have no issue of releasing tunes that contain lyrics from when he maybe had a different perspective on life, I'm not sure.

Axl also seems to be one of those people who always got a lot of things to say, opinionated, maybe it still translates in a musical and lyrical context. So far, he always had something that I related to in each and every Guns album.

Catcher's lyrics for example seem timeless, as in he could have released that song 20 years from now and it would still be just as powerful lyrically imho. Case by case basis, it depends on the person. Some musicians do run out of shit to say, but for others, it doesn't. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

Looking at the lyrics of Chinese Democracy I am not so sure they are so specific that they don't mostly have a universal relevance. Granted, there are certain lines here and there that likely point to specific events in Axl's life (like in TWAT and Sorry), but mostly they deal with universal themes of isolation, love, anger, loss, etc. Hard Skool is one of the few songs that likely do reference one of these past feuds (with Slash) in more direct terms, yet Axl apparently had no objections releasing that with the lyrics intact. So assuming the unreleased music doesn't deviate from this formula and doesn't contains lots of verses directly commenting on now dated events, then the lyrics won't prevent Axl from releasing the songs.

As for whether Axl's current life lends itself to writing new lyrics. Well, I don't think it has changed much from when he wrote most of the lyrics to CD back in the 00s. And Axl doesn't live in isolation as you say, he travels frequently, has friends, a family (the Lebeis), and follows social news and politics (occasionally spurring him to tweet). He is a private guy that mostly avoids public events (a bad celebrity). That doesn't mean he is isolated from the world. His life is also not devoid of any drama now, just as a side note, there has been enough rumours of conflicts within his family and band to probably cause for some occasional emotional turmoil.

But yeah, Axl's life is mundane now compared to the 80s, of course. But that didn't stop him from writing lyrics to CD and probably won't stop him from writing new lyrics if he wants to otherwise, he certainly seems interested enough in the world around him to get inspired to write lyrics. I mean, if you decide to tweet extensively about capital punishment practice in Indonesia or how Danish zoos feed giraffes to their lions, then you still have some passion and interests. 

• Like 3

I’d be more inclined to agree with both of you if he had put anything out @SoulMonster @Rovim but he hasn’t, so this vacuum has created a situation in which we ponder the reasons as to why no material is forthcoming. I agree with both of you though, I assume axl still has the capacity to pivot and write about anything he wants… he’s a bright guy, and yeah maybe he’s less isolated than we presume. I was just building on someone else’s point from a few pages back, as I hadn’t seen that particular ‘hot take’ on here before. Of course, reasons could be endless. 

it must be hard to be enthusiastic about 15 year old songs though. I’ve been in tonnes of bands and I am a different person and musician to the one I was in the 2000s. Mustering the enthusiasm to revisit them and treat them as ‘new product’ must feel like a step backwards and a bit of a drag. I might be wrong, he might love it. 

Edited by Billy Cundy