The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

38 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

People really are setting themselves up for disappointment here. 

Assume the show will be identical, Glastonbury will be nothing but a regular show and there will be no new material, as that's the most likely way things will play out.

If anything different happens, great. But expecting new songs, special guests, Elton John playing with them, whatever other wild idea people may throw up on corners of the internet.....well that way let down lies. 

I don't think Elton playing with them or Axl playn with him or any of the guest theorys are far fetched. But I expect the same setlist, same voice, same everything just a less interested crowd. I still think Glasto is an odd choice for GN'R, they just don't fit that vibe

Just now, Shacklermyrye said:

I don't think Elton playing with them or Axl playn with him or any of the guest theorys are far fetched. But I expect the same setlist, same voice, same everything just a less interested crowd. I still think Glasto is an odd choice for GN'R, they just don't fit that vibe

Well they're not too far fetched.....but we know how the band works. Variety isn't their strong point, so we'd be mad to expect or anticipate it. 

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Assume the show will be identical, Glastonbury will be nothing but a regular show and there will be no new material, as that's the most likely way things will play out.

If anything different happens, great. But expecting new songs, special guests, Elton John playing with them, whatever other wild idea people may throw up on corners of the internet.....well that way let down lies. 

I think best case scenario they add Down On The Farm somewhere near the beginning of the set (I actually think it'd be a cool opener for Glastonbury) but I wouldn't expect anything more than a new cover song for their "wacky and unique" set. Why anyone wants, let alone expects an Elton guest spot is beyond me... as if more people tuning into a modern November Rain performance would be anything other than disastrous. 

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

We've been doing this since the 2011 tour at least, expecting new songs to be debuted. I remember the threads for The Joint and Forum 2011 shows, everyone saying fuck you when the band played their standard set. Despite the band never saying or even hinting a new song might debut?

And we did this last year based on nothing, again. It won't be any different this tour and especially for Glasto people will be disseminated when they don't do a new song despite never saying they will!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tboneman said:

Okay. I assumed we were speaking just musically. That documentary and movie, yeah you can say they're risks, financial risks maybe but not musically.

Releasing live stuff and have a setlist voted by fans etc. are not risks imo. Even that Lulu thing was basic by numbers Metallica riffs but just Lou Reed babbling over the songs like Abe Simpson. 

And but yes, they have released 4 albums since 2003 and I guess that's better than nothing. And yes, most fans liked them. But not all, and to me it was "seven years and this is best you can do? Again?" Long and uninspiring songs with even more uninspiring solos. Kirk must be the most boring guitarist on the planet. No edge or bite whatsoever. It was like AI made this record. 

But then again, I am more of Megadeth fan than Metallica fan. And they released 8 albums since 2001! Probably some Metallica fanforum members are jealous of that. But I don't compare it to GNR because it's pointless. 

There is some great songs on it….there is some filler too. Even on the filler there are really cool bits IMO.

I was at one of the cinema screenings and came away thinking ‘pretty good’. Some of the fan favourites didn’t really stand out…whereas Chasing Light is just brilliant to me…..easily one of my favourites from this millennium. After a couple of more spins I’m digging more stuff but I agree a few of the songs are too long….others are absolutely fine if you like the riffs.

Metallica and Megadeth are just different at this point. I didn’t really like the last Megadeth one….albeit the single We’ll Be Back was superb. I do respect that Megadeth churn out so many albums….the issue is that with that there is too much ‘meh’…..each album usually has one or two crackers though.

To finish on a GNR comment….I just wish they would release something so we could debate whether it’s good or not. Something no-one had heard would be nice as opposed to a refresh of a leak….but beggars can’t be choosers!

Edited by DTJ80

41 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I think best case scenario they add Down On The Farm somewhere near the beginning of the set (I actually think it'd be a cool opener for Glastonbury) but I wouldn't expect anything more than a new cover song for their "wacky and unique" set. Why anyone wants, let alone expects an Elton guest spot is beyond me... as if more people tuning into a modern November Rain performance would be anything other than disastrous. 

I'd love to hear that! Down On The Farm that is, not Elton 'Dill Danding' John! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

The songs you mention have only achieved status of epicness because of how much some fans have been fawning over them. It seems like for every year that passes, The General becomes an even more awesome songs in our minds. It reminds me of Sorry, only we didn't have so many years to build up the hype around that song. Shortly, what Axl considers "epic" could be entirely different songs, like Seven or State of Grace.

Here, have a few commas and periods: ,,,,,,,,, ......... You're welcome.

Not to rehash an old argument, but we have no idea of whether other songs were worked on from 2001 to 2008, and then from 2008 and afterwards. It could very well be that Axl worked on other Bucket songs in addition to Sorry and Shacklers (++), like Circus Maximus, but eventually decided that they, like Atlas, should be saved for the next album. We have absolutely no idea. We can't take the absence of evidence that these songs have been worked on as evidence for their absence as completed songs. That's flawed thinking.

Not just the fans, people inside and out of the band have referred to unreleased songs as "epic" , "masterpieces" , "big guns" , etc

33 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Not just the fans, people inside and out of the band have referred to unreleased songs as "epic" , "masterpieces" , "big guns" , etc

I believe Tonto has been worked on after its state from the Village leaks, as it was listed by name on the leaked "CD2" song list, which itself is from 2008. Perhaps and Nothing are on there as well, among many more. 

Edited by Sweersa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I never said I wanted it lol

1 minute ago, Sweersa said:

I believe Tonto has been worked on prior to its state from the Village leaks, as it was listed by name on the leaked "CD2" song list, which itself is from 2008. Perhaps and Nothing are on there as well, among many more. 

I am all for as many of those Village songs being finished, I thought they were all great ideas with lots of potential ... I've just become very jaded on the idea that Axl actually did any more vocals beyond a few songs since then because there is no legitimate and clear reason why his magnum opus trilogy Chinese Democracy never materialized anything but 14 songs now 16 ...

5 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I am all for as many of those Village songs being finished, I thought they were all great ideas with lots of potential ... I've just become very jaded on the idea that Axl actually did any more vocals beyond a few songs since then because there is no legitimate and clear reason why his magnum opus trilogy Chinese Democracy never materialized anything but 14 songs now 16 ...

I understand your point, but we simply don't know what we don't know. We do now know (thanks to the Village leaks) that a bulk of CD was finished by 2000. So by 2008, after the album's release, it can safely be assumed they worked on more than just the songs that were finished between 2000 and 2008. Scraped didn't even exist in the Village leaks, one of the few songs that wasn't expected by most to be on the album, or exist at all. I'm sure there's others. 

Members here who attended the 2010 after-party in Vienna said there were one or more songs played that they couldn't identify. Now they could have been songs like Seven, Oklahoma/Berlin, Monstrocity, etc. that we know by name only. I have a feeling Monstrocity could be Zodiac 13 for some reason.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I understand your point, but we simply don't know what we don't know. We do now know (thanks to the Village leaks) that a bulk of CD was finished by 2000. So by 2008, after the album's release, it can safely be assumed they worked on more than just the songs that were finished between 2000 and 2008. Scraped didn't even exist in the Village leaks, one of the few songs that wasn't expected by most to be on the album, or exist at all. I'm sure there's others. 

Members here who attended the 2010 after-party in Vienna said there were one or more songs played that they couldn't identify. Now they could have been songs like Seven, Oklahoma/Berlin, Monstrocity, etc. that we know by name only. I have a feeling Monstrocity could be Zodiac 13 for some reason.

That was @Mindray11 who attended the Vienna show and recorded The General on his cellphone. He said they played "more than 3" unreleased songs, including one that was similar in style to SOD, and two remixes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2020_Intensions said:

The question was why you would give up on other songs being released if the next songs aren't Soul Monster and The General, so are you saying these two songs stand out as having been more praised by insiders who have heard them? Obviously I have looked into this before writing this post, and although they have both been described by insiders, I wouldn't say they stand out compared to, say, Seven. They have reached mythological levels among some fans, though. 

My point is, it is not unlikely the next songs released are not any of these, but that probably had little relevance for what songs will come next, and we set us up for disappointment if we expect certain songs to be epic. Maybe they will, maybe others will, maybe none will, maybe all will. At the very least, Slash suggested the next songs would be a bit more complex than Hard Skool and Absurd. 

56 minutes ago, gavgnr said:

I think the couple of song drops every couple of years is pretty piss poor by anyone’s standards. They should release 5-6 songs in one drop if they aren’t ballsy enough to drop a new record 

Agreed, especially when you consider how long it takes for physical releases to materialize these days. 2 songs with a live track or two is a waste of plastic.

7 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

What are you expecting these insiders and friends of the band to say? Narr these songs are all trash left overs and too crap for the original CD. 

If they did hear anything, then I dont trust their opinions and if it was so great the labels would be pushing for them to be released.

Edited by vloors

4 minutes ago, vloors said:

What are you expecting these insiders and friends of the band to say? Narr these songs are all trash left overs and too crap for the original CD. 

If they did hear anything, then I dont trust their opinions and if it was so great the labels would be pushing for them to be released.

That's exactly my point ... If these songs are so good, which if actually finished I don't doubt it for a second, some of those instrumentals on  the Village sessions were AAA ... but they surely would have been pushed to release way back when ... But also, I don't expect insiders and friends to lie ... They can easily describe what they've heard without making claims as to them being amazing ... Even Duff said Axl was a genius because of the unreleased stuff he's heard ... I just can't understand why it hasn't been released and if it even actually exists!!

4 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I just can't understand why it hasn't been released and if it even actually exists!!

That's a good question, of course. But we can immediately rule out the explanation that if songs aren't released, they don't exist. Hard Skool is proof of that. So is Atlas, which still isn't released. Axl can obviously sit on songs for ages. 

Assuming that more unreleased songs exist (and all evidence points in that direction), why haven't they been released yet? Why did it take more than 20 years to get Hard Skool out? 

I don't have the answer to that, but I have some thoughts. Axl obviously is okay with saving songs for future releases and he often has an idea of what to release and when (not in time but in sequential order). We know this from back in the 80s when some songs were left for the follow-up to Appetite. Partly because there wasn't room for them all, partly because of pushback from management and band members, but also partly because Axl wanted to expand the band soundwise, similar to what Queen had done. Axl didn't want to become a band like AC/DC, who had a certain mold for their songs. But even if Axl has these plans and ideas, or visions, it doesn't always come to fruition. Or rarely it does. Like his plans of releasing a bunch of EPs, which ultimately only became Lies and the Spaghetti Incident (turned into an LP).

With the music written after the breakdown of the UYI lineup, Axl worked on enough material to release 2-3 records. Originally the idea might have been 3 albums (but I think he let his excitement get away with him when this was mentioned live), but it was soon reduced to 2 albums. Assuming that the follow-up is ready, why have we not received it yet? Here are my thoughts:

1. He wanted to properly tour CD first. He said so much himself. Obviously, to him, just releasing isn't enough. The album demands a certain amount of representation live. He probably felt that if the songs weren't played live, properly, then the whole album release would be flawed. And he didn't get to tour CD properly in the US after its release because of problems with Live Nation and lawsuits. The "proper" touring happened a few years later.

2. The band wasn't so interested in releasing old songs. Or more precisely, Bumblefoot and DJ would much rather that they worked on new music (where they could get more involved and hence more money). I think this is pretty clear from the interviews in 2012-2015. Don't get me wrong, I am not at all saying Bumbles or DJ sabotaged a follow-up, just that Axl picked up on their wants.

3. But Axl couldn't make a new record back then. Or didn't want to. He had all this old material that he wanted to release first. Again, things got to come in the right sequence. Things have to be right. Frank talked about how Axl always needs things to be perfectly perfect. Axl puts a lot of pressure on himself to make things right. I would add that what is right to Axl might seem weird to us, he is peculiar that way and can fuss and obsess over things we find not important. But to Axl it is important. Incredibly important. He feels CD is only half the story. He wants to get the second half out before he starts working on entirely new music.

4. To release the old material he needed DJ involved. I mean, to Axl it was always important that the current band played on the band's releases. That's why Axl had Brain replacing all of Josh's parts, and then Frank adding bits here and there and recording the entire title song. That's why Bumbles came in and added fretless guitar all over. DJ would have to be included, too, which meant that someone would have to go out unless the songs would become even more dense. This isn't a trivial thing. It can hurt the music and it can hurt the relationship with previous members (like Robin if his parts were replaced with DJs new parts), it can make it legally harder to release (depending on what contracts exist with those who wrote and recorded the original parts).

All of this means that nothing really happened until 2016. With Slash and Duff back in the band it was easier to replace original musicians, at the very least because the promise of increased sales would be that much stronger. So Slash and Duff started working on selected songs and most likely these songs were ready to be released already in 2017/2018. But maybe not enough songs for an entire album, and maybe not the right songs for Axl to feel they belong together on an album. So how to release these songs? With album sales being very low, more money could come from individual single releases. The release of such singles could also be coordinated to touring events, or touring cycles, to keep things somewhat fresh and make the band appear "relevant" and "creative". So we got two such singles in 2021 and will likely get more over the next years.

Does this make sense? It does to me.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Assuming that the follow-up is ready, why have we not received it yet?

My view is that he wanted to release CD2 in 2010 but was stonewalled by the label. Ergo, he’s going to be totally reticent to even think about a new album now, or ever again.

2 minutes ago, gavgnr said:

My view is that he wanted to release CD2 in 2010 but was stonewalled by the label. Ergo, he’s going to be totally reticent to even think about a new album now, or ever again.

Yeah, I didn't write anything about any label issues. But yes, the relationship with the label, and their different expectations, certainly plays into all this.