The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

8 hours ago, jimisbatman said:

😂, now that's the rockstar I know and love.

I believe Bach said one of DJ's songs was amazing, and that he wanted to sing on it. It would be cool to hear that one. 

8 hours ago, jimisbatman said:

in answer to your question... A genius at work. This process weilded TWAT/MADA/TIL/THE BLUES/PROSTITUTE&OMG.

Don't forget Better, and Soul Monster. :) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

That band members worked on songs individually and then brought them into the band is not different to how a lot of songs on UYIs were made, unless you are specifically of the opinion that using samples is "inorganic". Personally, I much prefer that a band works out the songs together from the beginning, like during the band's early days when they wrote during rehearsals, but I can't deny the quality of songs like Estranged and Locomotive.  

It’s not about writing individually though I prefer them to write as a band as well. But the whole description of the process. Extrakd and Cratedigger. Sampling Julius Caeser and Ben Hur? Chopping and cutting? I mean, we’re talking about a rock n roll band, not about a hip hop group. That whole thing doesn’t fit my imagination. It’s not what I consider a natural sounding rock band.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Free Bird said:

It’s not about writing individually though I prefer them to write as a band as well. But the whole description of the process. Extrakd and Cratedigger. Sampling Julius Caeser and Ben Hur? Chopping and cutting? I mean, we’re talking about a rock n roll band, not about a hip hop group. That whole thing doesn’t fit my imagination. It’s not what I consider a natural sounding rock band.

It's not the way I want Guns N' Roses to operate, either. But again, this is not unique to Chinese Democracy, it is basically a continuation of what was done on Use Your Illusions. Axl sampled movies for Use Your Illusions, too, and chopped them up and combined them (like on Civil War); many songs were written outside of the band and brough in, often with additional musicians contributing. Basically, in many ways it wasn't a band anymore., or a "natural sounding rock band". And yes, the additional musicians/writers weren't called "Extrakd" and "Mirv", but even if they had had corny rocker nicknames instead, like Razzle or Dimebag or whatever, the music wouldn't necessarily sound better because of that (Mirv is a great rock guitarist, btw). Maybe it is a hip hop approach, I don't know, the result was not hip hop, though, although Brain's love of hip hop drums can be heard on both CD and the Locker leaks.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Maybe it is a hip hop approach, I don't know, the result was not hip hop, though, although Brain's love of hip hop drums can be heard on both CD and the Locker leaks.

I'm no hip hop expert, but would some of the programmed "drums" from The General also fit this realm? I assume they were intact during the CD-era mixes of that song. I hope we get an earlier mix of that track with Bucket, would be interesting, especially if it's mixed better (which is probable) and has less distortion on the vocals, no clipping, etc. Sad state of affairs when a rough mix of that song is probably better mixed than the official release. 

11 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I'm no hip hop expert, but would some of the programmed "drums" from The General also fit this realm? I assume they were intact during the CD-era mixes of that song. I hope we get an earlier mix of that track with Bucket, would be interesting, especially if it's mixed better (which is probable) and has less distortion on the vocals, no clipping, etc. Sad state of affairs when a rough mix of that song is probably better mixed than the official release. 

If drum loops were not Brains idea I would be tempted to say Critter may have been involved when he was doing engineering for them. 

Listen to this and you will see what i mean. This has some of the vibe General & monsters but has been mixed well. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2024 at 10:43 PM, colonizedmind said:

So there'll be a DJ Ashba (instrumental) GNR album forever to never be heard. Remember his "12 tracks...." 😊

Consult Axl enemy list 3.0....

I thought most of the songs on Sixx AM’s double album from 2016 were originally meant to be GnR songs, no? I figured those were the songs Ashba had written for GnR, at least.

Edited by rocknroll41

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

It's not the way I want Guns N' Roses to operate, either. But again, this is not unique to Chinese Democracy, it is basically a continuation of what was done on Use Your Illusions. Axl sampled movies for Use Your Illusions, too, and chopped them up and combined them (like on Civil War); many songs were written outside of the band and brough in, often with additional musicians contributing. Basically, in many ways it wasn't a band anymore., or a "natural sounding rock band". And yes, the additional musicians/writers weren't called "Extrakd" and "Mirv", but even if they had had corny rocker nicknames instead, like Razzle or Dimebag or whatever, the music wouldn't necessarily sound better because of that (Mirv is a great rock guitarist, btw). Maybe it is a hip hop approach, I don't know, the result was not hip hop, though, although Brain's love of hip hop drums can be heard on both CD and the Locker leaks.

I really don’t know what you’re trying to say. CD and UYI are poles apart. Axl fucked around with the songs but the basics were already written and put together by the Band before. CD is a clusterfuck compared to UYI.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

What I am trying to say is that the writing process behind songs on Use Your Illusion and Chinese Democracy isn't as different as some - and possibly you - would think. They both contained songs written individually by band members alone (like Estranged, or This I Love), or with contributions from non-band members (like Shannon Hoon or Mirv) and they both contained samples (like on Civil war and on Madagascar) - the things you seemed to not like. If we agree that a "natural sounding rock band" is one that works out the songs from the beginning together where the songs are formed by all members, rather than the fundamentals of songs coming from the outside and is then worked on by band members, then neither CD or UYI fits that description (although it is the case for some songs on UYI, mostly those dating back to Appetite). If so, GN'R stopped being a "natural sounding rock band" after Appetite. That is not to dismiss the quality of the songs, good songs can come out of different approaches. If you dislike CD, and I think you do, it is not so much the writing process itself, but rather perhaps the quality of the songs, the overall sound, the layering, the production -- whatever it is. Not because whoever helped write The General was called Extrakd and not West Arkeen. 

Have you ever been to a doctor, Souly?

I mean, I wouldn’t be surprised if he diagnosed some obsessive-compulsive disorder 😂

You just have to repeat your bullshit in every post, regardless what people's arguments are. Basic facts that doesn’t fit your agenda are getting ignored.

You think the making of UYI and CD would be the same? 😂😂😂

Fine, I don’t care but stop wasting my time with ridiculous statements like this. 

1 minute ago, Free Bird said:

What I am saying is that the things you objected to from Brain's quote, like outside musicians contributing, songs being brought in to the band and not made as a band, and samples being used, was partly the case also for Use Your Illusion. No need to be abrasive, I am not, but I would happily stoop down to your levels if that's what you want.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Have you ever been to a doctor, Souly?

I mean, I wouldn’t be surprised if he diagnosed some obsessive-compulsive disorder 😂

You just have to repeat your bullshit in every post, regardless what people's arguments are. Basic facts that doesn’t fit your agenda are getting ignored.

Fine, I don’t care but stop wasting my time with ridiculous statements like this. 

I make it a point to not make fun of those on the spectrum 🤣🤣. They tend to repeat themselves with the same bullshit over and over. 

• ABSUЯD 1

10 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

What I am saying is that the things you objected to from Brain's quote, like outside musicians contributing, songs being brought in to the band and not made as a band, and samples being used, was partly the case also for Use Your Illusion. No need to be abrasive, I am not, but I would happily stoop down to your levels if that's what you want.

Well, sometimes small differences have a big impact. I don’t deny there are similarities and yet the result is totally different. Who are the outside writers, who are the band members, what is their way of writing, how big is their contribution, what is their style? It’s not the similarities, it’s the differences that bother me. The result is there, so no reason to argue, but there we are arguing about the obvious.

6 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Regarding the samples, I don't think they were meant to be on the final product (if/whenever the songs were completed). They were put there for fun and as placeholder (in lieu of the vocals). One of the instrumentals in the locker leaks ("Devious Bastard", iirc) is filled with movie samples that would apparently be removed if the song was completed (with vocals).

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

I thought most of the songs on Sixx AM’s double album from 2016 were originally meant to be GnR songs, no? I figured those were the songs Ashba had written for GnR, at least.

I quite liked some stuff on those LP's as well...had some heavy guitar work, so maybe you're right. He wrote on that comeback Motley album too, didn't he. I guess he has something....

• Like 1

One record is full of classic rock songs where Axl was messing with the final product compared to a record written by guys with totally different musical background, using samples, hip hop- and electronic drum loops, minute long synthesiser intros, all copy/pasted together by one man and there are still people seriously trying to tell me the process of making UYI was the same as the making of CD. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Reading this makes me realise why I dislike the CD material that much. This is such an inorganic way to create music imo… wtf is this?

Taking inspiration from things is inorganic? Dire Straits wrote Money For Nothing inspired by the offhand comment of a construction worker. Lots of incredible songs have come from weird or random things. Thinking outside the box is what creativity is all about.

3 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Taking inspiration from things is inorganic? Dire Straits wrote Money For Nothing inspired by the offhand comment of a construction worker. Lots of incredible songs have come from weird or random things. Thinking outside the box is what creativity is all about.

Another one :facepalm:

I’m sorry you guys feel offended with me insulting your favourite record. It’s such an incredible collection of creativity and I’m really sorry having said something negative about it.

Well actually I’m not. I just hope you accept another opinion besides yours and leave me alone 😂

7 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Well, sometimes small differences have a big impact. I don’t deny there are similarities and yet the result is totally different. Who are the outside writers, who are the band members, what is their way of writing, how big is their contribution, what is their style? It’s not the similarities, it’s the differences that bother me. The result is there, so no reason to argue, but there we are arguing about the obvious.

The outcome is quite different, but not because of those things you reacted to in Brain's quote, like using outside help in writing, using samples, or the collaborators being called "Extrakd" or whatever, but because of other reasons. 

7 hours ago, Free Bird said:

and there are still people seriously trying to tell me the process of making UYI was the same as the making of CD. 

I have never said the processes were identical :lol:. I have pointed out they are more alike than what many seem to think, and especially in relation to what you seem to have objected to in Brain's quote (like using outside writers and musicians and using movie samples). Then, of course, there were many differences, mainly that the songs on UYI were a compromise between the band members whereas CD is more Axl's sole vision and that on CD Axl had the freedom to tinker and layer much more. 

You don't seem to fully grasp what I am writing, do you?

14 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I’m sorry you guys feel offended with me insulting your favourite record. It’s such an incredible collection of creativity and I’m really sorry having said something negative about it.

Why do you imply CD is my favorite record? It is not even my favorite GN'R record.

As for acting insulted, only you are getting personal and using snarky comments. Could it be that you felt insulted when I pointed out that the very things you mentioned bothered you about Chinese Democracy (the sampling, the outside musicians, song being written outside of the band) was in effect also when Use Your Illusions were made? It is a factual observation, yet you behave as if it is a personal insult...

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

The outcome is quite different, but not because of those things you reacted to in Brain's quote, like using outside help in writing, using samples, or the collaborators being called "Extrakd" or whatever, but because of other reasons. 

Just because of the reasons I listed. I don’t have to listen to somebody’s work to know he’s not a rock n roll guy when using a nickname like Extrakd. And you won’t change my opinion on that topic. I don’t care for “more alike” when the difference is huge. But when you continue to repeat your statements over and over again it just shows that you are the one who don’t understand what I’m saying. I’m pretty confident you do, so I have to assume that you’re just trolling.

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Why do you imply CD is my favorite record? It is not even my favorite GN'R record.

As for acting insulted, only you are getting personal and using snarky comments. Could it be that you felt insulted when I pointed out that the very things you mentioned bothered you about Chinese Democracy (the sampling, the outside musicians, song being written outside of the band) was in effect also when Use Your Illusions were made? It is a factual observation, yet you behave as if it is a personal insult...

Because it’s the impression I got. I think you are in love with Axl like a teenage girl and you are trying to hide it from the public. I see through you. 😂😂😂 you can’t hide it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

32 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Just because of the reasons I listed. I don’t have to listen to somebody’s work to know he’s not a rock n roll guy when using a nickname like Extrakd. And you won’t change my opinion on that topic. I don’t care for “more alike” when the difference is huge. But when you continue to repeat your statements over and over again it just shows that you are the one who don’t understand what I’m saying. I’m pretty confident you do, so I have to assume that you’re just trolling.

Extrakd is definitely not a "traditional" rock and roll guy (although he has played with different punk and rock bands), but I don't know what that's got to do with Chinese Democracy. Has he got any credits on CD songs? I don't think so. Still, of course you can dislike the collaborative environment when CD songs were written, and dislike that this environment also included musicians without long, greasy hair and a past smack habit, which is an entirely valid opinion. Although I doubt Johann Langlie, who, in contrast to Extrakd, actually ended up with credits on a GN'R album is a "traditional" rocker either. And again, asking band members to bring in songs, collaborating with other musicians, and using samples, was not a new thing with CD, it had started already with the UYIs at least on some songs. That's facts, whether you like to admit it or not.