The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

56 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Because it’s the impression I got.

You get the impression that Chinese Democracy is my favorite album when I many times have said that Appetite is my favorite GN'R album? How peculiar. Do you have a memory problem or just a comprehension problem? I have also stated many times how much I dislike If The World and This I Love. Again, lost on you. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

You get the impression that Chinese Democracy is my favorite album when I many times have said that Appetite is my favorite GN'R album? How peculiar. Do you have a memory problem or just a comprehension problem? I have also stated many times how much I dislike If The World and This I Love. Again, lost on you. 

You can say a lot of things and yet you’re defending the shit out of CD and Axl. Axl could kill somebody and you’d be the first defending him with your strange kind of logic. 

That whole statement from Brian that I quoted initially is mirroring my disliking for CD. Accept it or not. 

I’m not replying on that matter anymore because I hate it being the one fucking up a thread. It’s annoying and bores the shit out of the people looking for news.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

You can say a lot of things and yet you’re defending the shit out of CD and Axl.

I have already stated a few times that I would have preferred if the writing style for Chinese Democracy had been more like the writing style for Appetite, with the band members coming up with the songs together. I don't know how that is a defense of either CD or Axl :lol: But you do you, which in this case seems to be to not think straight.

And pointing out that there are some similarities in how Use Your Illusion was made and how Chinese Democracy was made -- more specifically the reliance upon additional musicians outside of the band and how many of the songs were written individually before being brought to the band, -- is a factual and descriptive statement and should be entirely non-controversial unless, like you, people can't deal with facts that can be interpreted, no matter how erroneously, to either glorify an album they dislike or an attack on an album they love.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

That whole statement from Brian that I quoted initially is mirroring my disliking for CD. Accept it or not. 

Oh, I accept it, and love to point out that that the very things Brain describes was there back when the band wrote Use Your Illusion, too: A reliance upon additional musicians (both for writing but also playing on the songs), songs that were written by sole members and not together as a group (like Locomotive and Breakdown), and a brewing love for using movie samples and movie references. And it is funny how this bugs you so much. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

How about you come down from your high horse and stop being so arrogant all the time? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spoon87 said:

How about you come down from your high horse and stop being so arrogant all the time? 

Look at the discussion with @Free Bird. What I did was pointing out a common misconception in regards to how Use Your Illusion was made and point to similarities in how Chinese Democracy was made, at no point did I make it personal, at no point did I make any derogatory or insulting comments.... until @Free Bird et al decided to insinuate I am on the spectrum, that my comments can be disregarded because my favorite album is Chinese Democracy, that I always defend Axl or CD, and that I would defend Axl if he killed someone, all of which are hilarious and completely outrageous comments that don't really deserve retorts because they are so obviously wrong when you know the truth, yet still construed as ad hominem attacks on me because, well, that was all he could muster. So here's a deal, I will try to not be arrogant when people can start behaving like adults when confronted with opposing views or facts. Does that sound like a good deal? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Look at the discussion with @Free Bird. What I did was pointing out a common misconception in regards to how Use Your Illusion was made and point to similarities in how Chinese Democracy was made, at no point did I make it personal, at no point did I make any derogatory or insulting comments.... until @Free Bird et al decided to insinuate I am on the spectrum, that my comments can be disregarded because my favorite album is Chinese Democracy, that I always defend Axl or CD, and that I would defend Axl if he killed someone, all of which are hilarious and completely outrageous comments that don't really deserve retorts because they are so obviously wrong when you know the truth, yet still construed as ad hominem attacks on me because, well, that was all he could muster. So here's a deal, I will try to not be arrogant when people can start behaving like adults when confronted with opposing views or facts. Does that sound like a good deal? 

Because I’m known for insulting people :facepalm:

Act like a normal human being, accept other people’s opinions and feelings, try to think about their points and I will never ever insult you. Instead, you choose to act like a moron, you never stop stalking people who don’t agree with you. You just keep repeating the same bullshit over and over again and you don’t even get what I’m talking about, so :hahafyou:

Edited by Free Bird

Just now, Free Bird said:

Because I’m known for insulting people :facepalm:

Act like a normal human being, accept other people’s opinions and feelings, try to think about their points and I will never ever insult you. Instead, you choose to act like a moron, you never stop stalking people who don’t agree with you. You just keep repeating the same bullshit over and over again :hahafyou:

"Jump little monkey or I will insult you!" :lol: 

I accept your opinion...and tell you you are wrong. Deal with it like an adult.

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

"Jump little monkey or I will insult you!" :lol: 

I accept your opinion...and tell you, in my imagination, you are wrong. Deal with it like an adult.

Fixed, but I’m not. You just don’t get it :lol:

• Like 1

To clarify some things up, now that I’ve got the time. Like I said before but Souly doesn’t seem to understand, it’s not about the similarities but more about the differences. But here we go, I’ll repeat myself one more time.

Similarity: Outside musicians/writers

Difference: On UYI there were used rock n roll dudes, some of them legends, some of them friends of the band. 
On CD era matetial… ? Based on Brian there were people like Extrakd. People you don’t think of when you think of classic rock music. People that brought in elements of hip hop and electronic music. The use of outside musicans isn’t an issue. The issue is what they add to the music.

Similarity: not writing in a band environment. Songs being put together over a long timeframe

Difference: On UYI some songs were written together as a band, some by a single member, some with two or three members at the same time. Then Axl recorded the lyrics and fucked with some of these songs. Adding synths, bleeps and farts, using movie samples for intros and outros on otherwise finished tracks. The basic was always rock n roll. I don’t count My World, which is as worse as the worst songs on CD. And as you see, I disliked those additions already on UYI. That’s not a secret. But the band played and recorded simple instruments

On CD people with a completely different musical background brought in ideas and Axl played puzzle or Tetris and tried to turn electronic/hip hop/ industrial elements into something that he still called GNR. Music stolen by other artists, chopping, cutting, copy/pasting. Did I mentioned samples throughout the songs (Maddy)? That was even less a band environment. It was a meal made from leftovers. There wasn’t a rock n roll base. 

Do you get it now @SoulMonster?

Do you see the difference? 
Because there’s nothing more I can do to explain it for you.

I’m sure you will find a way to just ignore my points and repeat what you’ve already said a thousand times.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

To clarify some things up, now that I’ve got the time. Like I said before but Souly doesn’t seem to understand, it’s not about the similarities but more about the differences. But here we go, I’ll repeat myself one more time.

Difference: On UYI there were used rock n roll dudes, some of them legends, some of them friends of the band. 
On CD era matetial… ? Based on Brian there were people like Extrakd. People you don’t think of when you think of classic rock music. People that brought in elements of hip hop and electronic music. The use of outside musicans isn’t an issue. The issue is what they add to the music.

Similarity: not writing in a band environment. Songs being put together over a long timeframe

Difference: On UYI some songs were written together as a band, some by a single member, some with two or three members at the same time. Then Axl recorded the lyrics and fucked with some of these songs. Adding synths, bleeps and farts, using movie samples for intros and outros on otherwise finished tracks. The basic was always rock n roll. I don’t count My World, which is as worse as the worst songs on CD. And as you see, I disliked those additions already on UYI. That’s not a secret. But the band played and recorded simple instruments

On CD people with a completely different musical background brought in ideas and Axl played puzzle or Tetris and tried to turn electronic/hip hop/ industrial elements into something that he still called GNR. Music stolen by other artists, chopping, cutting, copy/pasting. Did I mentioned samples throughout the songs (Maddy)? That was even less a band environment. It was a meal made from leftovers. There wasn’t a rock n roll base. 

I’m sure you will find a way to just ignore my points and repeat what you’ve already said a thousand times.

Excellent post 

• Thanks 1

The writing process of Chinese and UYI is definitely different. 

Chinese consisted of a lot of different jams/ideas that were then spliced together and layered to make songs. 

UYI had a decent amount of layering, but the writing of the actual songs seemed to be more "traditional"

I don't care either way, lots of people write songs by just fucking around and copying and pasting shit. Myself included when I write alone. When I am in my band, we write and record together. They are different ways of doing things.

As such, Chinese and UYI were just different writing methods for different bands (classic era vs. NuGNR). I am very fond of both end products. I do think there is a disconnect with the Chinese leftovers and how those are coming out, but I view them as more of bones to us diehards so I appreciate them very much under that lense. I would rather the current band tried to actually write and record "the old way", but I don't think Axl has it in him at this stage. Would love to be proven wrong. 

Even though I love it, I can't fault anyone for disliking Chinese. It is very different compared to classic GNR and the way it was written and recorded may not be for everyone. 

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

Of course, all of this is trivial. My point was that many of the things you objected to in Brain's quote was already happening back when UYI was made. Nothing more, nothing less. 

But hey, the point you make of Axl adding to the songs after they were finished, is ALSO something that happened to a lot of the UYI songs :lol: So you have inadvertently pointed out another thing that we saw the kernel to back in the UYI days but kind of became a bigger thing on CD - another thing that is more similar than different. 

Just look at this quote from Slash:

"Well I work with the band; I don't work with Axl when we record. I work with the band and we just jam the stuff live, and Axl goes in and spends... Well last time it was a year in the studio, just adding and adding. I don't necessarily agree with that, but Axl's so talented he can go in and whip it out like that. But everything has to be perfect. Sometimes some of his ideas - like a harmony or something - I can go along with, but all the additional stuff...

"Use Your Illusion" sounded amazing when it was just the basic tracks. It was fucking great. But then by the time all the tracks were done it was like impossible to fucking mix it, and it came out sounding... The more stuff you put on tape, the less "big" it sounds. I tried to tell Axl that but he wouldn't listen. But I'm not gonna do it that way this time, and that's what we have to talk about.

I have the rough mixes, which are more or less the basic tracks and the basic overdubs - very simplified and try - and those fucking rock! You could come over to my house and I'll play you "Use Your Illusion" before it went into the mixing stage, and you'd be like, "Fucking what?!" It's very brash. But this is before synthesizers and all this outside stuff got involved."

I suppose your love for UYI and dislike of CD makes it impossible for you to see the similarities in the process of how the finalized songs came to be. You simply won't admit it. It is kind of charming in a fanboy kind of way. But of course, many things were different. It is just funny that some of the things you think was different was not as different as you want to believe.

Edited by SoulMonster

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Yeah, right.:violin:

• Like 1

I think it's not surprising that once Axl took control of Gn'R and Slash and Duff weren't there anymore, that there was a sharp shift to do it using Axl's approach and how he prefers to work as a musician. that means doing some things differently compared to how it was in the old Guns days or just doing it in a more extreme way.

Slash once said that Chinese is like the perfect Axl Rose solo album or something to that effect. he didn't seem surprised at the way it sounded probably because he knew as a former band member what Axl's inclinations were as a musician.

I think if you like the final product it doesn't matter how you got there as long as the basic principals of a band remain intact so the quality and enough of the identity of the band is somehow still detectable.

Chinese was made in a different time with newer technology and with totally different people other than Axl and Dizzy for the most part, led by Axl so it is very different imho compared to UYI, but Axl was already started doing things differently when UYI was created but he still had Slash, Duff, and Izzy to a certain extent to reign it in maybe.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Of course, all of this is trivial. My point was that many of the things you objected to in Brain's quote was already happening back when UYI was made. Nothing more, nothing less. 

But hey, the point you make of Axl adding to the songs after they were finished, is ALSO something that happened to a lot of the UYI songs :lol: So you have inadvertently pointed out another thing that we saw the kernel to back in the UYI days but kind of became a bigger thing on CD - another thing that is more similar than different. 

Just look at this quote from Slash:

"Well I work with the band; I don't work with Axl when we record. I work with the band and we just jam the stuff live, and Axl goes in and spends... Well last time it was a year in the studio, just adding and adding. I don't necessarily agree with that, but Axl's so talented he can go in and whip it out like that. But everything has to be perfect. Sometimes some of his ideas - like a harmony or something - I can go along with, but all the additional stuff...

"Use Your Illusion" sounded amazing when it was just the basic tracks. It was fucking great. But then by the time all the tracks were done it was like impossible to fucking mix it, and it came out sounding... The more stuff you put on tape, the less "big" it sounds. I tried to tell Axl that but he wouldn't listen. But I'm not gonna do it that way this time, and that's what we have to talk about.

I have the rough mixes, which are more or less the basic tracks and the basic overdubs - very simplified and try - and those fucking rock! You could come over to my house and I'll play you "Use Your Illusion" before it went into the mixing stage, and you'd be like, "Fucking what?!" It's very brash. But this is before synthesizers and all this outside stuff got involved."

I suppose your love for UYI and dislike of CD makes it impossible for you to see the similarities in the process of how the finalized songs came to be. You simply won't admit it. It is kind of charming in a fanboy kind of way. But of course, many things were different. It is just funny that some of the things you think was different was not as different as you want to believe.

Mental health issues proven :rofl-lol:
You can’t tell me you aren’t able to see my point. My 9 years old daughter could see the difference. I even pointed out the similarities, that means, I do not disagree with them being there. BUT THEY AREN’T MY ISSUE!

Posting a quote from Slash which contains exactly what I said? Thanks!
And then you’re wondering why I insinuate you’re defending everything Axl does including CD? You either can’t put up with me criticising something you love or you’re just trolling. For me you simply lost the last bit of credibility today. For nothing at all. They’re right when they say don’t feed the troll.

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

The writing process of Chinese and UYI is definitely different. 

Chinese consisted of a lot of different jams/ideas that were then spliced together and layered to make songs. 

UYI had a decent amount of layering, but the writing of the actual songs seemed to be more "traditional"

I don't care either way, lots of people write songs by just fucking around and copying and pasting shit. Myself included when I write alone. When I am in my band, we write and record together. They are different ways of doing things.

As such, Chinese and UYI were just different writing methods for different bands (classic era vs. NuGNR). I am very fond of both end products. I do think there is a disconnect with the Chinese leftovers and how those are coming out, but I view them as more of bones to us diehards so I appreciate them very much under that lense. I would rather the current band tried to actually write and record "the old way", but I don't think Axl has it in him at this stage. Would love to be proven wrong. 

Even though I love it, I can't fault anyone for disliking Chinese. It is very different compared to classic GNR and the way it was written and recorded may not be for everyone. 

I don’t even hate CD. Yes, I consider half of it being garbage, even some of the more popular songs like Street Of Dreams and Catcher. But the other half is good to very good, with excellent moments imo. Still, when I think of CD my thoughts are more towards the negative side of it. And then there are users who are trying to tell me my feelings are wrong as like something like this is even possible :crazy:

10 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Mental health issues proven :rofl-lol:
You can’t tell me you aren’t able to see my point. My 9 years old daughter could see the difference. I even pointed out the similarities, that means, I do not disagree with them being there. BUT THEY AREN’T MY ISSUE!

Posting a quote from Slash which contains exactly what I said? Thanks!
And then you’re wondering why I insinuate you’re defending everything Axl does including CD? You either can’t put up with me criticising something you love or you’re just trolling. For me you simply lost the last bit of credibility today. For nothing at all. They’re right when they say don’t feed the troll.

You didn't get the "all of this is trivial"? Or perhaps you didn't understand what I meant with it? And again, your point that one difference between UYI and CD was that on CD Axl did a lot of tinkering after the songs were made -- "[a]dding synths, bleeps and farts, using movie samples for intros and outros on otherwise finished tracks" as you wrote -- was there on UYI, too, as evidenced by quotes from Slash and Izzy, only curbed by the rest of the band and thus in a more "proto-shape", whereas on CD Axl was unchecked and unrestrained. So your attempts to point to differences has inadvertently revealed similarities, again :).

The big difference in the process between these two records, as I see it, beside the obviousness of a new lineup with musicians with different background and Axl's desire to make a different type of album and evolve the music, is really that on CD Axl was left to do what he wanted while on UYI he had to compromise with his other band mates to a much larger extent. But it was still there, all over UYI, from the additional vocal layers, the orchestration, the "bringing in full songs", to the blatant My World which to many was a warning of what was to come if Axl got to decide the direction of the band.

And again, I don't "love" CD. I really like some songs on the album, and really dislike others. It is hard for me to be anything but divided on it. The same with UYI, btw. The only album by GN'R I like through and through, and really like, is of course Appetite. But you won't listen to this so why do I bother?

I provide a tempered argument for why many of the things you thought were different between CD and UYI was actually found on CD, too, and you are the one not able to handle that perspective because you are the one continuously insinuating that I have some mental issue or that I "love" Axl or CD, as some childish defense mechanism. 

11 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

And then there are users who are trying to tell me my feelings are wrong as like something like this is even possible :crazy:

For the record, I have never said anything even remotely close to "[your] feelings are wrong," so obviously you are thinking of me :lol:

Guns N Roses got ridiculously bloated over the years. It really started in the 90s and I think it’s well documented that most of the band weren’t exactly happy with things and all eventually left / got fired when it became unrecognisable in the late 90s. 

Nothing really changed but Axl needed Slash to get big gigs and they all fancied the money. 

You can tell from Slash’s last interviews that he’s completely disconnected. Hearing rumours of tours and the Guns are making an album and I’m helping them with that

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Another one :facepalm:

I’m sorry you guys feel offended with me insulting your favourite record. It’s such an incredible collection of creativity and I’m really sorry having said something negative about it.

LOL defensive much? CD is my least favorite GNR album.

I just hope you accept another opinion besides yours and leave me alone 😂

My god, the ironic lack of self awareness...

Add some more emojis while you're at it for maximum immaturity.

15 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Because it’s the impression I got. I think you are in love with Axl like a teenage girl and you are trying to hide it from the public. I see through you. 😂😂😂 you can’t hide it.

This is just fuckin pathetic dude. Grow up.

On 6/16/2024 at 7:50 AM, evilfacelessturtle said:

IDK if you're referring to the chord changes repeating, or Slash's lick repeating, but both are perfectly capable of coming up with something on the fly and repeating it. In fact, Slash has said that the Anastasia riff was something he stumbled on during his solo spots in 2011 and developed further into a song. Slash knows his scales like the back of his hands. It's not hard for him to create a descending lick that follows a pattern. Heck, it's not hard for anyone who knows some basics.

Go back to Slash’s solo spots with GN’R in Argentina 1992, and you’ll hear some of the basis for the Anastasia riff too. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

LOL defensive much? CD is my least favorite GNR album.

My god, the ironic lack of self awareness...

Add some more emojis while you're at it for maximum immaturity.

This is just fuckin pathetic dude. Grow up.

Yeah… whatever dude