The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

7 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Guns N Roses got ridiculously bloated over the years. It really started in the 90s and I think it’s well documented that most of the band weren’t exactly happy with things and all eventually left / got fired when it became unrecognisable in the late 90s. 

Nothing really changed but Axl needed Slash to get big gigs and they all fancied the money. 

You can tell from Slash’s last interviews that he’s completely disconnected. Hearing rumours of tours and the Guns are making an album and I’m helping them with that

Which is really sad, but I still nourish the hope that this is all about that Axl’s unwillingness to publicly share anything concrete until he’s ready to put out. As stupid as it is, because it's done to an extreme. Hence the evasive answers and vague statements. I mean, even if the interviewer agrees not to ask too many direct GNR questions, Slash is aware that people expect to hear at least something, so he throws around these bits and pieces. 
But it does sound disconnected, and maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my part. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I wonder if Axl sometimes is annoyed by himself.

He must be aware that he's a royal pain in the ass for anybody who's trying to work with him?

He is certainly aware of it and has made some comments in that direction where he admits to being a pain in the ass. Whether he is annoyed or not, I have no idea. I suppose he is at some level when things fall apart and he realizes he is to blame for it. 

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

Idk where the best place to put this is, but since this has turned into the mygnr free for all thread and most people end up coming here I'll share this here. My band was one of the openers for Gilby last night and we met him afterwards. I've met him once before but that was a few years ago. We talked and he might be helping me later with some of my music, recording and producing. @Gunner Gilby

That's awesome. Well done!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Idk where the best place to put this is, but since this has turned into the mygnr free for all thread and most people end up coming here I'll share this here. My band was one of the openers for Gilby last night and we met him afterwards. I've met him once before but that was a few years ago. We talked and he might be helping me later with some of my music, recording and producing. @Gunner Gilby

Good stuff!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

That's awesome man! Congrats!

Hope you could share some of your music too. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Wow that's awesome. Keep us updated. I'd love to hear the results. Even tho he didn't get to make his mark on an original Guns album Gilby is a such a talented guy. Also probably the most fan friendly of all the Gunners. Never heard anyone say they've ever had a bad experience meeting him. Always comes across as pretty humble and down to earth.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Lethalis said:

It's really hard to release something that lives up to the fans expectations.

What Slash did with his blues album is great, but he didn't have to write new songs for it. The songs were already great.

So yeah, GNR could release a cover album which would probably sound great, but is it what we want?

Fans want GNR to prove themselves yet again and release a banger of an album with original songs. Is that even possible?

I would be worried too if I were Axl. Even if I really wanted to release something. The reaction to The General wasn't great either. Everytime Axl does release something, we all go "that kinda sucks, wish it were better". But maybe that's just it? It's not going to be any better. We can't expect a man in his 60s to still be very creative.

And let's be honest, we don't want a forgettable generic sounding GNR album.

So in a twisted way, not releasing an album is better than releasing one that will disappoint.

Right now - in my view - there is nothing about the newer songs that let's me think a new album will be really great. I'm still here, because I want them to surprise me. Not sure why, but ok :lol:

At least Slash's blues album sounds great and I love it for what it is. Slash has proven he's still a great bluesy guitar player... and I only wish we could get that sound back in GNR. They should make a sleazy bluesy gritty rock album. That would be what I want. But maybe they have different ideas. I hope Axl closes the Chinese saga. Get it over with. Write new songs with Duff and Slash. And start singing in a lower register. Write the new songs to accomodate for that. Don't go all out screaming in the studio and end up with something Axl can never sing live.

Anyways...

PS
I wouldn't mind if Slash goes full blues on his solo stuff and maybe even write songs with blues / southern rock artists. It's really the sweet spot for me. The best Slash can sound. But yeah, I'm already in my 40s and not the general public. It might not sell well. At least not in Europe... I have no idea about the US.

Even I have to admit that The General is one of the worst songs ever by GNR. I get why Axl needed to release it, but it really isn't that good of a song.  I think the other three  are much better. 

Age doesn't matter. Look at  The Rolling Stones, Springsteen, Pearl Jam, Bon Jovi, and the Black Crows. All are older artists who recently released albums and they are great.  I think GNR has it in them for a new album, which is original material from this lineup. 

7 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Congrats!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gunner Gilby said:

Wow that's awesome. Keep us updated. I'd love to hear the results. Even tho he didn't get to make his mark on an original Guns album Gilby is a such a talented guy. Also probably the most fan friendly of all the Gunners. Never heard anyone say they've ever had a bad experience meeting him. Always comes across as pretty humble and down to earth.

A college friend of mine met Slash on a plane. My friend told me that Slash was really down to earth and took the time to do his signature autograph with artwork. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

12 hours ago, Lethalis said:

I would be worried too if I were Axl. Even if I really wanted to release something. The reaction to The General wasn't great either. Everytime Axl does release something, we all go "that kinda sucks, wish it were better". But maybe that's just it? It's not going to be any better. We can't expect a man in his 60s to still be very creative.

So in a twisted way, not releasing an album is better than releasing one that will disappoint.

Right now - in my view - there is nothing about the newer songs that let's me think a new album will be really great. I'm still here, because I want them to surprise me. Not sure why, but ok :lol:

Perhaps got a surprisingly positive reception. It wasn't a smash hit or anything, but very few people disliked it.

But yeah, I do think that living up to expectations and his legacy weighs heavily on Axl.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, metallex78 said:

Go back to Slash’s solo spots with GN’R in Argentina 1992, and you’ll hear some of the basis for the Anastasia riff too. 

... yeeeeeah IDK about that. Some people think Slash wrote the CD riff because he strummed the same chords in 1988. Slash doesn't hang onto song ideas for 20 years, that's Axl's thing.

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

36 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

... yeeeeeah IDK about that. Some people think Slash wrote the CD riff because he strummed the same chords in 1988. Slash doesn't hang onto song ideas for 20 years, that's Axl's thing.

Lol I remember that CD 1988 chord theory that's gotta be one of the most retarded conspiracy theories ever on this forum.

But yes maybe not overall like Axl, but there's definitely some instances that he took like 10 years or so to record as a song. Speed Parade for example written during AFD so that's 13 years old, and there's footage of him playing around with the Ain't Life Grand riff already during the UYI tour (can't remember which show), so that's like another 8-9 years until that came out.

Those are just 2 I remember off the top of my head, there's likely more.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Good luck to you! 👍👏

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

while you are at it, tell Gilby to help out Axl/Slash/Duff! Those guys need some major help.

off the record, right there after Slash's solo stuff (primarely Snakepits), Gilby's solo stuff was my second favorite.  There was always soul in that stuff, you could tell he cared about it and had talent, I liked it.

Also...with Slash and Matt, probably my favorite Gunner. You could tell he is a down to earth, sincere guy, no asshole or money grabber.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Frankfurt93 said:

while you are at it, tell Gilby to help out Axl/Slash/Duff! Those guys need some major help.

off the record, right there after Slash's solo stuff (primarely Snakepits), Gilby's solo stuff was my second favorite.  There was always soul in that stuff, you could tell he cared about it and had talent, I liked it.

Also...with Slash and Matt, probably my favorite Gunner. You could tell he is a down to earth, sincere guy, no asshole or money grabber.

They don't need help per se; all they really need is less yes men surrounding Axl.  :axl:

On 6/21/2024 at 10:22 AM, SoulMonster said:

He is certainly aware of it and has made some comments in that direction where he admits to being a pain in the ass. Whether he is annoyed or not, I have no idea. I suppose he is at some level when things fall apart and he realizes he is to blame for it. 

Thanks for clarifying, really. 

20 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Lol I remember that CD 1988 chord theory that's gotta be one of the most retarded conspiracy theories ever on this forum.

But yes maybe not overall like Axl, but there's definitely some instances that he took like 10 years or so to record as a song. Speed Parade for example written during AFD so that's 13 years old, and there's footage of him playing around with the Ain't Life Grand riff already during the UYI tour (can't remember which show), so that's like another 8-9 years until that came out.

Those are just 2 I remember off the top of my head, there's likely more.

Yeah, usually it's due to some extenuating circumstances though, ALG was going to be on a Les Paul tribute album under the name "Burnout", but the album got shelved, so he bought the rights to the song back. The early version of Speed Parade I heard shares almost nothing with the final result, I'm not sure how they can even be related but supposedly they are.

Fall to Pieces was written for GNR, and you can hear that it sprung out of the little lick at the end of Patience. Not sure why he didn't use that for Snakepit though. Maybe he just felt it was too good and wanted to wait for the right project. Or maybe he even thought Axl might still come to his senses.

Anastasia dating back to 1992 would be the longest gestation by far, though. I listened to the solo and I don't hear it. And Slash has openly stated that the idea grew out of his solo spots on the 2011 tour.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gunner Gilby said:

That's awesome.

Yeah. From what my friend told me, Slash takes his time with autographs and doing a little bit of artwork when signing. My friend waited 5 minutes for Slash to finish. When Slash was done, he told my friend that he adds slight artwork to show that it's an authentic autograph  and can't be replicated by counterfeiters. 

• Like 4

On 6/21/2024 at 6:29 AM, Lethalis said:

It's really hard to release something that lives up to the fans expectations.

What Slash did with his blues album is great, but he didn't have to write new songs for it. The songs were already great.

So yeah, GNR could release a cover album which would probably sound great, but is it what we want?

Fans want GNR to prove themselves yet again and release a banger of an album with original songs. Is that even possible?

At least Slash's blues album sounds great and I love it for what it is. Slash has proven he's still a great bluesy guitar player... and I only wish we could get that sound back in GNR. They should make a sleazy bluesy gritty rock album. That would be what I want. But maybe they have different ideas. I hope Axl closes the Chinese saga. Get it over with. Write new songs with Duff and Slash. And start singing in a lower register. Write the new songs to accomodate for that. Don't go all out screaming in the studio and end up with something Axl can never sing live.

Anyways...

PS
I wouldn't mind if Slash goes full blues on his solo stuff and maybe even write songs with blues / southern rock artists. It's really the sweet spot for me. The best Slash can sound. But yeah, I'm already in my 40s and not the general public. It might not sell well. At least not in Europe... I have no idea about the US.

Ok then why is this only a GNR problem and not any ID their contemporaries?

10 hours ago, Its Tino said:

Ok then why is this only a GNR problem and not any ID their contemporaries?

even if you can explain the problem in general terms and you can understand it, the fact is that none of Gn'R's contemporaries have Axl Rose as their frontman of their band so you can't know exactly how extreme he is when it comes to on what level of quality he expects every full Gn'R album of material to be or how difficult for him is to go through the entire process from writing to recording and then to let it go so it can actually be released.

Axl obviously have issues when it comes to sharing his music and while it's all speculation, it doesn't seem like he'll just release anything when it comes to a full album or that it comes easy for him to write material but who knows really.

also, every person is different and that goes for musicians as well so there may be some other mental hurdles we don't know about and maybe the recording of Chinese Democracy has took some of the wind off his sails when it comes to creating an album from scratch while still having old Chinese material that he's still interested in releasing.

he doesn't talk much about it if at all so it's hard to know for sure. 

Edited by Rovim