The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

11 hours ago, Gibbo said:

The stupid thing is the best song they havent even released. They should of released Monsters first. They have no idea, need to get rid of Caram he couldnt mix a good milkshake

Well he's mixing with out of date milk and funky fruit, so he's handicapped before his incompetence 😵

1 hour ago, gavgnr said:

:ph34r:

IMG_0502.png

Fan art? When we got the leaked song place holders, licensing credits? 

• Haha 1

On 6/21/2024 at 3:50 PM, Gunner Gilby said:

Wow that's awesome. Keep us updated. I'd love to hear the results. Even tho he didn't get to make his mark on an original Guns album Gilby is a such a talented guy. Also probably the most fan friendly of all the Gunners. Never heard anyone say they've ever had a bad experience meeting him. Always comes across as pretty humble and down to earth.

On 6/22/2024 at 12:43 AM, Frankfurt93 said:

while you are at it, tell Gilby to help out Axl/Slash/Duff! Those guys need some major help.

off the record, right there after Slash's solo stuff (primarely Snakepits), Gilby's solo stuff was my second favorite.  There was always soul in that stuff, you could tell he cared about it and had talent, I liked it.

Also...with Slash and Matt, probably my favorite Gunner. You could tell he is a down to earth, sincere guy, no asshole or money grabber.

Yeah he was super friendly and seemed really interested in hearing my music. Idk if he has much to do with GnR people but I might be writing with him later on.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Gibbo said:

The stupid thing is the best song they havent even released. They should of released Monsters first. They have no idea, need to get rid of Caram he couldnt mix a good milkshake

I know we have not heard a clean (or in full) CD-era mix of Monsters (Soul Monster), but if I had to guess, that version would be a notch or two better than the leaked one we got, which will probably sound close to the official release. At the very least, it was probably mixed better back in 2008-2010 (or whatever) and sounded more cohesive than the recently leaked version. Nothing against Slash's playing, I think he sounds good on it, and Duff especially sounds great on it, so no dig on those guys. I suppose I'm just used to having different versions to compare, and it's frustrating when we don't. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/22/2024 at 11:42 PM, Its Tino said:

Ok then why is this only a GNR problem and not any ID their contemporaries?

Other artists can be very different individuals.

Take Chris Robinson of The Black Crowes for example. The way he writes songs with his brother or in a band is a very natural thing. He doesn't think about it much. They just start jamming, he starts humming melodies and he starts writing lyrics that just pour out of him. There is no grand design upfront.

I've read Steve Gorman's book and sometimes Chris himself doesn't even know what his lyrics mean lol.

And a big aspect of Chris his personality is the fact that he doesn't as care much. Sure, he had a phase with the recording of Tall when he wanted to create a concept album, but even then he didn't care about what others thought of the album. He just wrote something Chris himself thought was cool. The label rejected it... the songs were too long, it didn't sound modern enough etc. And then they brought somebody in who coached the band to create something that was more uptempo and more in line with what the label expected (Amorica). Which still has 6 songs that are longer than 5 minutes but okay :lol:

Even though Chris can be very stubborn, when it comes to making money he usually just does it. He can be very pragmatic.

So if you compare Chris Robinson with Axl Rose, you'll see that Chris is not a crazy perfectionist like Axl. And if he doesn't get his way, he sometimes adapts... and might still create mayhem afterwards :lol: But hey, at least he is productive. And Chris still sounds great live, so he doesn't seem to have the same issues performing like Axl has.

Another big difference I think is that GNR - especially Axl - haven't released as much music in all these years. So there's still a lot of expectation. Whereas a band like The Black Crowes kept on releasing music for decades. Some albums were great, others were just ok. But it doesn't matter as much. There is no huge hype around it. No high expectations.

Anyways, it truly is an Axl thing. Slash and Duff would have released multiple GNR albums by now lol. But then again, Slash and Duff also stayed productive and kept releasing music through the years.

Also Axl wanted to do something very different from GNR sound wise. Even though Chris Robinson also tried that, it wasn't a very far departure of the original sound. Chris just went from hard rock to more hippy Grateful Dead style of music and back to rock again. But it wasn't as drastic as trying to do Industrial Rock or something like that. It was easier to change the songs to make them more radio friendly.

PS
"The Amorica album cover notably featured a close-up photo of the pelvic region of a woman wearing a U.S. flag bikini bottom with pubic hair showing at the top. The photo was taken from the cover of the July 1976 issue of Hustler magazine. The album with this cover was subsequently banned from chain stores like Walmart and Kmart"

This was Chris Robinson's doing lol. So while he worked with the label to get the album released he still sabotaged them a bit with the album cover. Just because he could.

The Tall sessions did lead to amazing songs like this. 8 minutes long...

Edited by Lethalis
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Gunner Gilby said:

It's hilarious how twenty years ago Axl let Gilby go with the excuse he couldn't write with Gilby. Twenty years later what's Axl released. One album and a few singles that got at best a mixed reaction. Gilby on the other hand has done alright. Released a bunch of solo and collaborative albums. Produced and played with MC5, Heart, Nancy Sinatra, The Bronx and more.

I agree. Gilby's a good dude and it's not about the money for him. That being said his wife Daniella owns the mega successful Frankie B jeans so he's very well off. He must be doing something right as he's the only Gunner who's still happily married to his first wife. They've been together more than 30 years.

I don't think Axl doubted Gilby's abilities as a songwriter, more that Axl wanted to create a different type of music than what Gilby was interested in.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Maybe they will never release it? Thet's not uncommon for GNR either! 

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BucketEgg said:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, we've got it now anyway, in as good a quality as any official release is likely to be, so if they can't manage to find the energy to release it, we're not really missing out! 

8 hours ago, betterman said:

Maybe they will release Monsters this Halloween - fits the theme

A year late, but thats not uncommon for GNR

Loads of people here said it was corny and cringey to have a school bell in hardskool. releasing monsters on halloween would be even cringier. Just release it tomorrow. 

The school bell was the least cringey thing about the released version of Hardskool. I'd say the triggered unnatural sounding drums and general all round mix are far worse. Shame as the locker leak version is amazing at least to my ears.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't think Axl doubted Gilby's abilities as a songwriter, more that Axl wanted to create a different type of music than what Gilby was interested in.

Yeah that's always been my belief. There's interviews where Gilby said Axl tried to bring him into his vision of what he wanted to be. Sounding a bit more (then) modern and industrial, adding a third guitarist. Gilby basically said he didn't think they were good ideas and then shortly after his paychecks stopped. 

On 6/23/2024 at 5:53 AM, Gibbo said:

He's useless. I have a good system and it even sounds crap on that especially the general. All different volumes too . The spaghetti incident sounds heaps better and it came out 30 years ago :huh:

Agreed mixes sound really amateur. Amazing the that the same mixed Chinese