The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Agreed mixes sound really amateur. Amazing the that the same mixed Chinese 

Andy Wallace was also brought in for mixing on Chinese. I would think that had some impact.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, vloors said:

And Gilby was right for the most part.

Who knows what Gilby heard in 1994/95 I doubt Axl had much. But I just can't imagine Gilby being excited about anything outside of what we consider a classic rock sound. 

I respect him for saying the ideas stink though, he knew he was on thin ice and he just started hammering away around himself regardless.

They could have evolved the sound without member changes and kept everyone happy, but that's 30yrs ago at this point. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Who knows what Gilby heard in 1994/95 I doubt Axl had much. But I just can't imagine Gilby being excited about anything outside of what we consider a classic rock sound. 

I respect him for saying the ideas stink though, he knew he was on thin ice and he just started hammering away around himself regardless.

They could have evolved the sound without member changes and kept everyone happy, but that's 30yrs ago at this point. 

It seems no one was on board with Axls new ideas and direction and they all either left or were fired by Axl.

On 6/22/2024 at 9:53 AM, evilfacelessturtle said:

... yeeeeeah IDK about that. Some people think Slash wrote the CD riff because he strummed the same chords in 1988. Slash doesn't hang onto song ideas for 20 years, that's Axl's thing.

I’m not saying he hung on to the song idea for 20 years, but you can definitely hear the seeds of what later became Anastasia in that 1992 solo in Argentina. 

10 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

I can't, and I studied music theory. Can you point to the exact timestamp?

My mistake, it wasn’t in his solo spot. It was the end of Double Talkin Jive, where he kinda noodles around a bit. Listen to this at the 35:45 minute mark and tell me that doesn’t sound like Anastasia. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, metallex78 said:

My mistake, it wasn’t in his solo spot. It was the end of Double Talkin Jive, where he kinda noodles around a bit. Listen to this at the 35:45 minute mark and tell me that doesn’t sound like Anastasia. 

Yeah that's literally Anastasia lmao which by the way if Axl had sang on would have been such an epic GnR song 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Yeah that's literally Anastasia lmao which by the way if Axl had sang on would have been such an epic GnR song 

Probably another Axl rejected song.

Rejects anastasia, beggars, fall to pieces but wants and accepts silkworks, the general, scraped lol.

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, vloors said:

Rejects anastasia, beggars, fall to pieces but wants and accepts silkworks, the general, scraped lol.

& speed Parade , Ain't Life Grand and who knows how many others

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, vloors said:

Never did make sense to me. Slash's first solo album, Gilbey's solo album, and then some of Axl's ideas would have been a KILLER album to follow up Illusions ...

• Like 4

From Axl and Matt it seems more like what Axl had an issue with was that Slash didn't want the songs to be worked on, he brought them in complete and just wanted Axl to add vocals, while Axl wanted to work on them more, at least some of them, probably he thought they could get even better. And then Slash went and recorded them for Snakepit instead. 

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

From Axl and Matt it seems more like what Axl had an issue with was that Slash didn't want the songs to be worked on, he brought them in complete and just wanted Axl to add vocals, while Axl wanted to work on them more, at least some of them, probably he thought they could get even better. And then Slash went and recorded them for Snakepit instead. 

I don't quite understand how this fact correlates with how Slash's copyrights are reflected on his first solo album. Well, obviously one or two more people have worked on it, lol. Well, the song Doing Fine is such a Poison for my taste, Unskinny Bop, lol.

According to Axl it's Slash who refused to let Fall To Pieces be a GNR song, Slash denies it was ever presented to GNR and insists that it was written in the early 2000s. We certainly have no reason to believe a fully written Anastasia was ever presented to Axl. As for Beggars, it's possible that was one of the songs Axl felt was too "southern rock" (Duff agreed with him apparently), but who knows maybe it was one of the 3 he wanted back.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DeNfr said:

running away with the material to make his own album instead of the next Guns album was the mistake who splitted GNR

Axl rejected these songs, all of them. After Slash had his record done Axl suddenly wanted to use some of them. There was no “running away”.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

To be the biggest waste of a Slash instrumental was Be The Ball. I don't hate the track but that's a badass riff that deserved a badass song to go along with it. 

Badass riff and badass solo ruined mostly by the lyrics.

But I think the biggest waste of a Slash instrumental has to be something with Myles on vocals. Withered Delilah or Serve You Right… Idk… impossible to chooses one of the many songs ruined by Myles.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 2

The singer on Slash's Snakepit was credited as co-writer on almost every track and didn't play an instrument, so he obviously added something.  Axl could have added something at any time.  Or he could have just sang whatever lyrics were already there.  But that would be progress towards a finished work, so he didn't want that.  He prefers everyone sitting around and waiting for him to give orders.

There's that quote about he and Slash were on the phone three to four hours every day about this material, time that could have been spent singing whatever lyrics there were or adding his own.  Axl's not about producing anything, he expected Slash to shut up and obey.  At some point, he decided to pretend he had a slight interest in *some* of the material, only to find out that Slash had the album finished and could move on to promotion and tour.

This is where it's clear that Axl really doesn't have any finished work left to show for the last thirty years.  He just wants to be in charge.  The rest of the band didn't even want to do the "Sympathy for the Devil" cover, but Axl ordered them to do it and then didn't even show up in the studio with them.  And he pushed the new guitarist he'd chosen on to others.  As far as I'm concerned, that's where "Guns'n'Roses" ended.  Since then, it's been Axl and his employees.  Nobody tells him what to do, he tells them.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't buy that at all. Slash has always worked on his songs collaboratively. He had no problem doing it on AFD and UYI, why would he suddenly change course in 1994, but then let Eric Dover write lyrics and Duff and Gilby co-write on 5 O Clock Somewhere?

I could believe that Slash didn't want to spend forever re-writing the same song over and over again, but from what we've seen with the early CD demos, Axl wasn't actually re-writing the songs constantly. In fact, they hardly changed at all beyond adding layers and fucking about with production.

• Like 4

That's why I included the 'write his own lyrics' part.  Slash wanted to move forward, Axl didn't, so that's that.  However long it takes to get there, the ending is set in stone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

According to Axl it's Slash who refused to let Fall To Pieces be a GNR song, Slash denies it was ever presented to GNR and insists that it was written in the early 2000s. We certainly have no reason to believe a fully written Anastasia was ever presented to Axl. As for Beggars, it's possible that was one of the songs Axl felt was too "southern rock" (Duff agreed with him apparently), but who knows maybe it was one of the 3 he wanted back.

I doubt duff felt that way. Beggars for instance was sound checked in Australia by GNR. It was co written by Duff.

Its more Axl just wanted to have his cake and go new metal/industrial against what the rest of the band wanted.

He wanted to abandon the roots of guns n roses. No one else wanted to go that direction. So Slash/duff/gilby all went and released their own music.

Edited by vloors

40 minutes ago, vloors said:

I doubt duff felt that way. Beggars for instance was sound checked in Australia by GNR. It was co written by Duff.

At the time, Duff agreed with Axl about Snakepit songs, Slash wrote it in his book and Duff wrote that in his book too. I'm glad that Axl refused the songs because I love It's 5O'Clock Somewhere.:slash:

• Like 3