The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

4 hours ago, Rindmelon said:

One of the Rockline interviews right? Also the first place Axl mentioned there was intent to work with Brian May.

1 minute ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Not sure honestly. It's been a long time since I heard that interview.

Yes it was the Rockline interview:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t618-1994-01-03-rockline-interview-with-axl-and-slash

• Thanks 1

No, it was was about being in charge.  Rethinking the musical direction would have required making actual music, so that thirty years later, people could say that ninth album made no sense or that thirteenth album was where they finally got their groove back.

An attempt to maintain the same success would require them Axl to actually do something and only the most delusional people would expect anything to be remotely as successful as Appetite.  Lies wasn't.  UYI wasn't.  Spaghetti Incident wasn't.  Chinese Democracy sure as hell wasn't.  It was released by a middle-aged man deluded enough to think he could do better than his early 20s and had spent decades surrounded by people who encouraged that.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

No, it was was about being in charge.  Rethinking the musical direction would have required making actual music, so that thirty years later, people could say that ninth album made no sense or that thirteenth album was where they finally got their groove back.

An attempt to maintain the same success would require them Axl to actually do something and only the most delusional people would expect anything to be remotely as successful as Appetite.  Lies wasn't.  UYI wasn't.  Spaghetti Incident wasn't.  Chinese Democracy sure as hell wasn't.  It was released by a middle-aged man deluded enough to think he could do better than his early 20s and had spent decades surrounded by people who encouraged that.

He made music. You may not like it, but he did, even if it wasn't released in that era. He had things in the late 90s with the CD guys, so one would expect that he could have make songs before that if the old lineup were still in place. 

And I'm not sure how old are you, but late 30s and early 40s are not middle-age, are? If so, I'm fucked. :lol:

• Like 3
  • ABSUЯD 1

On 6/28/2024 at 12:23 AM, SoulMonster said:

It's word against word, I suppose. Here's Slash talking about how the songs were rejected because Axl didn't like them or thought they weren't the right style for the next album: (18) 18. NOVEMBER 1993-NOVEMBER 1994: AXL AND SLASH DISAGREES; GILBY IS DISMISSED (a-4-d.com)

And here's Axl and others saying that wasn't really the case but rather that Slash didn't want Axl to make any changes but just "shut up and sing": (18) 18. NOVEMBER 1993-NOVEMBER 1994: AXL AND SLASH DISAGREES; GILBY IS DISMISSED (a-4-d.com) 

Sorum's quote doesn't make sense. The Snakepit material was written in Slash's studio with Duff and Sorum all jamming together.

Goldstein is full of shit and Beta/Fernando go without saying. The idea that Slash wrote lyrics for Axl is laughable. Never mind Duff and Matt being afraid the songs were "too '80s".

I can believe that Slash didn't want to change the songs instrumentally, but how would he have even created vocal melodies for Axl? He's not a singer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

He made music. You may not like it, but he did, even if it wasn't released in that era. He had things in the late 90s with the CD guys, so one would expect that he could have make songs before that if the old lineup were still in place. 

And I'm not sure how old are you, but late 30s and early 40s are not middle-age, are? If so, I'm fucked. :lol:

73 is the global life expectancy, so yeah, late 30s actually is middle aged

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Sorum's quote doesn't make sense. The Snakepit material was written in Slash's studio with Duff and Sorum all jamming together.

Goldstein is full of shit and Beta/Fernando go without saying. The idea that Slash wrote lyrics for Axl is laughable. Never mind Duff and Matt being afraid the songs were "too '80s".

I can believe that Slash didn't want to change the songs instrumentally, but how would he have even created vocal melodies for Axl? He's not a singer.

Duff didn't jam with them. Matt did, of course, but then he didn't like Eric Dover.

Slash has said himself that he wrote lyrics and melodies for at least some of the songs, e.g.:

So the songs are my representation of what Guns would sound like if I was at the helm. And it's probably good that I did it outside of Guns because I explored a lot of avenues I didn't normally get to. I had to write lyrics, and I had to get the melodies, and I had to get the songs into a cohesive state where they were worth showing to anybody. It's a real down to the bare bones kind of record, and I like that.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t2916-1995-02-dd-guitar-trigger-with-attitude-slash

I don’t have the personality for [singing]. I did try it. I mean, some of the songs that I did write lyrics for in the album, I did sing at first, but only just to write them. But to go out in front of a microphone... For one, I can’t stand still that long; and for two, I mean, I can’t even look at the audience when I’m playing my guitar, let alone me standing up there singing, you know? (laughs).

https://www.a-4-d.com/t3457-1995-08-dd-planet-rock-profiles-irish-tv-interview-with-slash

• Like 4

Axl was 46 when CD came out.  Definitely middle age.

Matt and Duff's comments make more sense if you see Axl's cult mentality, everyone around is only allowed to say what he wants to hear.  Either that or they're just employees who need to keep the boss happy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yet Slash wanted to call it "Snakepit," not "Slash's Snakepit."  He didn't try to take over any other bands, why this one?

And how did he get a fully complete album if he hadn't written the lyrics yet to get revenge?  Then after the album, he said he'd do a G'n'R album and then a Snakepit album, going back and forth between the two.  Then there's the fact that there were no actual songs to work on, so there was no point to being there.  Call him when Axl shows up, and they never called.

And which "real friend" was this?  Someone who had been in the band all these years or the one Axl decides is now in the band and the others just have to obey?  Your employees have to put up with your latest hire, fellow bandmembers will actually expect a say in the matter.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

Yet Slash wanted to call it "Snakepit," not "Slash's Snakepit."  He didn't try to take over any other bands, why this one?

Well, at first Slash intended to call it "SVO [= "Slash's Very Own"] Snakepit". Then he decided to call it just "Snakepit". It eventually was called "Slash's Snakepit". Slash said the addition of "Slash's" was a label decision, Matt however disagrees with that saying it was just an excuse.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5018-19-december-1994-october-1996-axl-and-slash-fights-slash-quits#20194

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

ok, there's a lot of things but I have some time :

1) Slash could have called his band Big Pigeon Poop, he was already worldwide known, everyone would have talked about “Slash’s band”.
plus, Blackstar refreshed our memory on the details (thx, we're old)

2) "He didn't try to take over any other bands, why this one?"
I tried to understand what's your point but I failed. I don't see the logic (if there's any).

3) complete *without lyrics*, if it helps you to understand the situation.

4) of course Slash thought he could have both bands, but GNR needed to be the priority, and he didn't care much due to the situation in the end. 
"Call him when Axl shows up, and they never called."I don't understand your sentence. 

5) And which "real friend" was this? >> the one he grew up with in Indiana with Izzy. 

The Illusions lineup was all around great. As I already stated, Slash & Gilbey's ideas with whatever Axl also wanted to do, would have made for a great GnR album in '95/'96. They could have done an awesome round of small & intimate shows playing Spaghetti material. Big US & World Tour to promote the new album, and then after that either Axl could work on his solo (ChiDem) stuff, or they could have found a way to work on it all together as GnR. So many better things could have happened if Axl & Slash found a way to work it out. Ego, mental issues, and drugs were too much involved though.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DeNfr said:

Slash wanted to take over, tried to force a full complete LP in Axl's throat,
Axl said fuck off, Slash had his little revenge writing shit about Axl in almost
all of the lyrics of the album, had average sells so he returned to the band
then was pushed to the exit because he wasn't interested to do other's songs
and didn't want to work with Axl's real friend. 
end of story.

There’s a lot of interpretation on your part.  A progress of events that doesn’t make any sense.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

we're still waiting your arguments, as usual*

*I think we'll have a new GNR album before

I’m not pretending to know what happened and how it went down. I’m just pointing out that a lot of things that have been said don’t make any sense imo. 

By the way, it’s not my fault if you don’t get my argumentation. The only person who can help you on this regard is yourself :)

Edited by Free Bird