The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

47 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Ok I didn’t knew that.

It still doesn’t effect my point that he didn’t leave original Guns

Well, if we believe that Axl actually did leave the old band and took the name with him, then there wasn't an old Guns N' Roses for Slash to leave, it had been dissolved. So it is kind of a moot point.

An interesting thought is, would Slash have left if Axl hadn't threatened to start a new GN'R and insisted Slash signed a new contract? That's impossible to say. But there is no doubt there were a lot of problems between Slash and Axl at the time (from disagreement over musical direction, Paul Huge, managers getting in the way, Axl not wanting to tour immediately, etc etc), with contractual stuff just one of them, and I wouldn't have been surprised if Slash had left regardless. At the time, Slash didn't talk much about the contractual stuff, suggesting that maybe it wasn't the main reason.

Again, the whole thing is interesting. Axl DID send a letter with his intention to leave the band, Slash and Duff DID talk about new contracts (presumably for them to join the new band), yet the partnership seemed to have continued operating as if Axl hadn't left, until some years later when Slash and Duff decided to sue Axl in frustration over him blocking their attempts to license the music. Axl himself would argue that he never left the partnership. In the end, the lawsuits were dismissed and most likely some kind of agreement was made between the guys which ended Slash and Duff's litigatious activity, with Axl continuing to control licensing. All of this is also kind of moot now, Slash and Duff rejoined GN'R and the partnership agreement seem to be valid and in effect.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Your initial post is full of wrong “facts”.

which ones? everytime I asked, you farted.
you have no objective points, and your so called "facts" were fact checked by other posters (thx guys, give me time to do something else)

facts & opinions, again. you're not good at this.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Gilby's solo albums have way better songs than any of Izzy's, so there's that. Plus the songs he wrote for Snakepit, Dime Store Rock and Monkey Chow. What was he not playing right on the UYI tour?

I like Fortus' playing, though I have no idea what his writing skills are like.

Gilby's solo album and Izzy's solo album are all ok to me. Not representative of what they would bring to the table in GNR, though. Dime Store Rock and Monkey Chow are ok too, elevated no doubt by Slash, Matt and Mike Inez. For GNR in the 90s, those would be b-side material IMO. 

Gilby simplified Izzy's rhythm guitar a lot. The worst offender was Rocket Queen. He just played power chords. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Well, if we believe that Axl actually did leave the old band and took the name with him, then there wasn't an old Guns N' Roses for Slash to leave, it had been dissolved. So it is kind of a moot point.

Like I said before, I wasn’t there and don’t know what really happened. But from my understanding, Axl left the band and formed a new one. That would mean Slash didn’t left the original band. No matter if there's a band to quit or not.

politics: 
Gilby was a nice guy, but from Axl's perspective, he was too close to Slash.
when you add Matt into the equation, Axl found himself in the minority.
not a position you want to be when you're the controversial frontman of a band.

musically: 
didn't bring solid songwriting to the table, and wasn't an improvement from Izzy's playing neither.

positive point:
he had a new corvette

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Free Bird said:

Like I said before, I wasn’t there and don’t know what really happened. But from my understanding, Axl left the band and formed a new one. That would mean Slash didn’t left the original band. No matter if there's a band to quit or not.

Yes, if Axl really did leave the partnership and dissolved the "old GN'R", then Slash didn't quit the old band.

It's not really anyone's "understanding", though, it is more who you believe. None of us has all the details here s it becomes word against word, and unfortunately there was never a legal ruling on the matter. 

Reasons to believe Axl left the partnership, dissolved old GN'R and started a new band with the same name:
- His letter stating that this was his intention.
- Duff and Slash being presented with new contracts.
- Duff and Slash suing Axl and claiming that he really did leave.

Reasons to believe Axl never left the partnership, dissolved old GN'R or started a new band:
- The fact that Axl was able to veto licensing, something he wouldn't have the power to do if he had left the partnership.
- That no document was presented in lawsuits where Axl confirmed that he actually had left the partnership, only a letter stating his intent to do so.
- No contemporary quotes from Duff or Slash indicating that Axl had left and formed a new band.
- Documents presented in lawsuits which indicated that the three partners operated as if the partnership was still intact, including a 1999 letter from Duff's lawyer confirming that all partners had to agree on decisions.
- A 1996 letter from Slash's lawyer stating that Slash had left the partnership (something he presumably never would have done if Axl had already left it, it would make no sense for him to leave except in disgust and irritation with Axl)
- The fact that it took years for Slash and Duff to sue Axl for vetoing licensing - one might wonder why they didn't object to this immediately. 
- That no settlement happened resulting in a change of practice, Axl still continued to have governing power.

But again, it doesn't really matter anymore. The cases were dismissed and it is all water under the bridge now. Slash and Duff rejoined and they are all BFFs again now with the money pouring in.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

I like Fortus' playing, though I have no idea what his writing skills are like.

I hope we will hear more of Fortus (especially on lead) on future studio releases. 

Wasn't there an interview/rumor of him playing lead and/or a solo on a song that at the time was unreleased? (Might still be) It was during the CD-era I vaguely recall this.

2 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I hope we will hear more of Fortus (especially on lead) on future studio releases. 

Wasn't there an interview/rumor of him playing lead and/or a solo on a song that at the time was unreleased? (Might still be) It was during the CD-era I vaguely recall this.

Wasn't that the 'SRV' style solo Axl mentioned in the chats? or was that one of Robins I forget

5 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Well, we have a snippet of his outro solo in The Blues from the Boston 2002 promo. And if you believe what my ears tell me, also his outro solo in Monsters. 

But I think you're referring to an Axl speech in 2006, maybe during the UK leg of that tour, claiming that Richard was recording something for an upcoming track that wouldn't even be in CD.

3 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

Wasn't that the 'SRV' style solo Axl mentioned in the chats? or was that one of Robins I forget

That was a Robin solo.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

Well, we have a snippet of his outro solo in The Blues from the Boston 2002 promo.

Interesting! I wonder why that solo was cut/replaced. 

Seeing how Fortus handles the Bucket stuff pretty well live, it gives me hope they will have him play on some of the more Bucket songs. 

Edited by Sweersa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

Future studio releases lmfao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Please don't remind me! If they ever decide to use any of these songs for an album, they need to remix and remaster them, except Perhaps. That one was not bad. (Except for the horribly faded in solo) 

it's one of my favorite running gags, I've never heard it myself

• Wow 1

43 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Perhaps still sounded really bad, just better than the previous releases (Very, very low bar to clear).

It's odd how all 4 songs are mixed/mastered poorly, to different levels of bad. They are not even bad, consistently. Only in the land of Guns. Can barely stand the 2-song disc with Perhaps and The General. The General about gives you a heart attack with how loud it is in that opening bit after turning the volume up a little for Perhaps, and then having to turn it down a bit for The General. :D 

Maybe these one or two-off singles are just little shits for them, and when we get an album out, maybe if those songs are on it, they are completely different (hopefully older mixes) But, I'm sure that probably won't be the case. 

32 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

so basically some of you tell us Caram Costanzo, Eric Caudieux, Sean Beavan, Joe Barresi, Bob Ludwig
and Axl Rose don't know what they're doing. are you all producers and sound engineers? just asking.

So basically what you’re saying is if one isn’t an expert in the given field, one should shut up and disregard one’s own senses, yes? 
When they bring you a foul food in a restaurant, do you also eat it regardless, since, after all, you’re not a cook yourself? 
Just asking. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jamillos said:

So basically what you’re saying is if one isn’t an expert in the given field, one should shut up and disregard one’s own senses, yes? 
When they bring you a foul food in a restaurant, do you also eat it regardless, since, after all, you’re not a cook yourself? 
Just asking. 

no, but when a brain surgeon operate, I don't claim it's shit and I could do better either

8 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I believe Axl and Caram muddied up the work of the professionals you mentioned. Imagine you have the best industry people bake you an amazing cake, 20 years ago. Then two clowns unfreeze and remove the white frosting and add a different color frosting, freeze, thaw, freeze, and thaw the cake entirely, then add unnecessary additions on top of the cake, etc. At this point, it doesn't matter who originally mixed the ingredients, and baked the cake before frosting it. Now, it's ruined. 

and how do you know which part of the production process is made by whom?

7 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I believe Axl and Caram muddied up the work of the professionals you mentioned. Imagine you have the best industry people bake you an amazing cake, 20 years ago. Then two clowns unfreeze and remove the white frosting and add a different color frosting, freeze, thaw, freeze, and thaw the cake entirely, then add unnecessary additions on top of the cake, etc. At this point, it doesn't matter who originally mixed the ingredients, and baked the cake before frosting it. Now, it's ruined. 

I agree with you here. 

• Like 1