The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

5 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

no, but when a brain surgeon operate, I don't claim it's shit and I could do better either

and how do you know which part of the production process is made by whom?

Illogical simile; this is why I used the words "own senses" in my post - since you don’t need to be an expert to be able to assess the result. Same with the food comparison. Not the same with a brain surgeon operating. 
It sucks, just deal with it. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Illogical simile; this is why I used the words "own senses" in my post - since you don’t need to be an expert to be able to assess the result. 

that's a technical result we're talking here, so yes, you need to *at least* have a technical understanding of what production and sound engineering means.

1 hour ago, DeNfr said:

and how do you know which part of the production process is made by whom?

I think it's an educated guess. One example, the production of Perhaps compared to Hard Skool and The General. The band needs to, at the very least, have professionals handle the mixing and mastering. 

2 hours ago, DeNfr said:

so basically some of you tell us Caram Costanzo, Eric Caudieux, Sean Beavan, Joe Barresi, Bob Ludwig
and Axl Rose don't know what they're doing. are you all producers and sound engineers? just asking.

I'm a frustrated amateur bedroom musician that write, record and mix my own stuff. I surely have made mistakes in production (I just posted a Monsters cover with clipping noises during the solo and that wasn't intentional at all haahahaha). 

But I think I do have good ears. Also, as a music fan, I expect some professional-level, way above me, from those fellows you mentioned. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DeNfr said:

so basically some of you tell us Caram Costanzo, Eric Caudieux, Sean Beavan, Joe Barresi, Bob Ludwig
and Axl Rose don't know what they're doing. are you all producers and sound engineers? just asking.

I have worked in sound production before yes, Obviously not at the level those guys have.

At the village and also at Rumbo they would have used a Neve 88RS and all of those guys know what they are doing on a console like that, it's not like Caram or engineers like Critter and Koszela don't know what they are doing, they were more than competent. People can have an opinion on mix's but at the end of the day it's Axl who signed off on those mix's & that's where the buck stops.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DeNfr said:

illogical and bad argument when addressing criticism.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeNfr said:

that's a technical result we're talking here, so yes, you need to *at least* have a technical understanding of what production and sound engineering means.

No, the result is the (crappy) sound, which anyone here can hear and evaluate for themselves. And many didn't like it. And that is a legitimate conclusion for which you don't have to be a sound engineer, expert etc. That's a fact, whether you like it or not. So, again, your argument is invalid. I can't write it any simpler, so I'll just bid your farewell here. 

• Like 3

On 7/1/2024 at 6:36 AM, Voodoochild said:

Gilby's solo album and Izzy's solo album are all ok to me. Not representative of what they would bring to the table in GNR, though. Dime Store Rock and Monkey Chow are ok too, elevated no doubt by Slash, Matt and Mike Inez. For GNR in the 90s, those would be b-side material IMO. 

Gilby simplified Izzy's rhythm guitar a lot. The worst offender was Rocket Queen. He just played power chords. 

JuJu Hounds and Ride On are really good albums all the way through, and many of Izzy’s other albums have great songs as well. Of course, It’s all a matter of taste. Izzy never sold many copies after his first solo album but I love most of his music more than anything on CD or even the NITL singles. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, DeNfr said:

yeah go ahead with that It's been your strongest argument from the start.

Nope, I used logic and valid arguments. You don't seem to be capable of that - and ignore my arguments, like in this post - or maybe you're just trolling. In any case, no point in continuing for me. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

No, the result is the (crappy) sound, which anyone here can hear and evaluate for themselves. And many didn't like it. And that is a legitimate conclusion for which you don't have to be a sound engineer, expert etc. That's a fact, whether you like it or not. So, again, your argument is invalid. I can't write it any simpler, so I'll just bid your farewell here. 

Much like most of us are probably not involved in the film industry at any professional level, but most of us can also tell a good movie from really bad. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DTV88 said:

JuJu Hounds and Ride On are really good albums all the way through, and many of Izzy’s other albums have great songs as well. Of course, It’s all a matter of taste. Izzy never sold many copies after his first solo album but I love most of his music more than anything on CD or even the NITL singles. 

I actually think the Snakepits albums are more to my taste. Especially Ain't Life Grand, probably because of how good Slash and Rod sounded.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

Much like most of us are probably not involved in the film industry at any professional level, but most of us can also tell a good movie from really bad. 

I've seen bad movies with a great photography, I've listened to great songs with bad production.
and awful songs with very good sound production.

if you can't make the distinction, well

• Like 1