The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

39 minutes ago, jamillos said:

My take is, had Monsters been included on CD, then if I had to choose one third (hell, one fourth) of the best songs, this track definitely would be among them. 

(and as for the released singles, M. would be the best one, with HS being second) 
Well, as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! 

I like HS, some bits from the leak, some from the official version. to me Monsters is something that more approaches what you would call a 'big gun'. I consider State Of Grace and Atlas to be strong tunes as well.

I think what would have worked best for Chinese artistically is if it was a double album like the illusions was. it would have showed the scope of it and it would have been felt while listening to the whole concept. now we're getting the opposite of that in a way, but at least we have the leaks and official singles.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

The Rolling Stones’ Hackney Diamonds dismiss any arguments for why this band can’t release a new album. I just saw them while they were in LA and despite being in their 80’s, they released a brand new album (a damn good one) and toured it. I can’t understand why this band can’t do the same, it’s actually mind blowing.

I’m seeing them in Santa Clara next week and agree with everything you said 🤘🏻

21 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

There has been no indications that Thyme, Tonto or Seven specifically have vocals, but there has been plenty of indications that more songs have vocals than those we know about. One of these is Zodiac 13 (which you mentioned), and the indication is that it is listed as "no vox" on the tape, suggesting a version with vocals were also recorded. We simply have no idea what songs Axl has continued working on and adding vocals to. I don't even think the rest the rest of the 2008-2014 lineups knows. They worked on the instrumentals, Axl worked on vocals separately, and often later. 

That is my point, Soul Monster. The band did the music for all these songs. They have no idea what ever became of them. That was the while point of my comment. Tommy THINKS these songs are finished. He has no idea. He never heard them in their finished state. 

• Like 3

On 7/12/2024 at 12:59 PM, AxlRoseCDII said:

The Rolling Stones’ Hackney Diamonds dismiss any arguments for why this band can’t release a new album. I just saw them while they were in LA and despite being in their 80’s, they released a brand new album (a damn good one) and toured it. I can’t understand why this band can’t do the same, it’s actually mind blowing.

Not only that, but the new songs are highlights of the set, which is incredible considering their catalogue. I saw them a week ago, Angry is so much better live than on the record, and Tell Me Straight was great too.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2024 at 10:59 PM, AxlRoseCDII said:

New Purple is also looking good so far. 

On 7/13/2024 at 9:55 AM, tboneman said:

https://www.loudersound.com/news/universal-music-soundlabs-ai

GNR/Axl could always finish those unfinished songs with this now.

"Universal Music, the biggest music company in the world, has signed a deal with artificial intelligence start-up Soundlabs to create what it calls "official ultra-high fidelity vocal models for artists using their own voice data for training while retaining control over ownership and giving them full artistic approval and control of the output."

In a nutshell, the deal allows singers signed to the label to train AI models using their own voices, meaning that that Jon Bon Jovi – in theory, at least – could record a new album using AI-generated vocals without committing his own voice to tape. The deal ensures that artists retain ownership of the results and are given full artistic approval on how they're used, so that not everyone can make a new Bon Jovi album "

Hopefully not.

This has actually already happened. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/randy-travis-releases-ai-song-1235014871/

On 7/12/2024 at 3:36 PM, SoulMonster said:

There has been no indications that Thyme, Tonto or Seven specifically have vocals, but there has been plenty of indications that more songs have vocals than those we know about. One of these is Zodiac 13 (which you mentioned), and the indication is that it is listed as "no vox" on the tape, suggesting a version with vocals were also recorded. We simply have no idea what songs Axl has continued working on and adding vocals to. I don't even think the rest the rest of the 2008-2014 lineups knows. They worked on the instrumentals, Axl worked on vocals separately, and often later. 

“No vox” could just be referring to a vox amp, though.

Axl did mention having lyrics for Oklahoma/ Berlin, but it coulda just been a few lines that never even got recorded, for all we know. And yes, Oklahoma was on the HOB 2001 setlist in Riad’s place, but that coulda easily been just a mistake on the part of whoever was responsible for typing out the setlist.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Axl did mention having lyrics for Oklahoma/ Berlin, but it coulda just been a few lines that never even got recorded, for all we know. And yes, Oklahoma was on the HOB 2001 setlist in Riad’s place, but that coulda easily been just a mistake on the part of whoever was responsible for typing out the setlist.

Yeah, I don't believe "no vox" is an indicator of there being a version w/ vocals, because if so, why isn't it included with the rest of the Locker material? Songs like Zodiac and Oklahoma being finished w/ vocals and not released makes no sense at all. Those are some of the strongest sounding songs out of the entire ChiDem era.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Yeah, I don't believe "no vox" is an indicator of there being a version w/ vocals, because if so, why isn't it included with the rest of the Locker material? Songs like Zodiac and Oklahoma being finished w/ vocals and not released makes no sense at all. Those are some of the strongest sounding songs out of the entire ChiDem era.

Because the locker leaks are only a fraction of what they actually had? Do you really think they had dozens of versions of CD, TWAT, etc. but only one version of Catcher or If The World? Of course not. They probably had hundreds of CDs, and we heard 19 of them.

I'm pretty sure a version of Zodiac with scratch vocals existed at the time, like Quick Song - which is why both songs are just instrumentals on the 2001 rough mixes disc. Whether it was completed later, who knows...

This band doing things that don't make sense it the only thing we should expect lol. They've been sitting on Monsters for 20 years but released Absurd, The General, Scraped, etc before it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

And Tonto

?

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Because the locker leaks are only a fraction of what they actually had? Do you really think they had dozens of versions of CD, TWAT, etc. but only one version of Catcher or If The World? Of course not. They probably had hundreds of CDs, and we heard 19 of them.

I'm pretty sure a version of Zodiac with scratch vocals existed at the time, like Quick Song - which is why both songs are just instrumentals on the 2001 rough mixes disc. Whether it was completed later, who knows...

This band doing things that don't make sense it the only thing we should expect lol. They've been sitting on Monsters for 20 years but released Absurd, The General, Scraped, etc before it.

Listen I get it. I was a believer for a long time too. I'm no longer convinced there's much else beyond the Locker leaks. I don't care how many studios they worked at. Axl produced one album. Until I have complete & finished albums of material from these sessions, I will never believe they exist. Not anymore. Those days are long gone.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Listen I get it. I was a believer for a long time too. I'm no longer convinced there's much else beyond the Locker leaks. I don't care how many studios they worked at. Axl produced one album. Until I have complete & finished albums of material from these sessions, I will never believe they exist. Not anymore. Those days are long gone.

How many songs exist, and how many are only as lyrically complete as Eye On You, is debatable. But my whole point was that the Village leaks shouldn't be taken as a complete picture... we know they were still fucking around with OMG but it's nowhere in the leaks. There's only 1 version of some songs that were on CD, or we know they kept working on (Catcher, IRS, ITW, Shacklers, Silkworms). Nobody had heard of SOG before the leak but it's basically a complete song. There's probably plenty of songs we'll never hear. :shrugs:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

How many songs exist, and how many are only as lyrically complete as Eye On You, is debatable. But my whole point was that the Village leaks shouldn't be taken as a complete picture... we know they were still fucking around with OMG but it's nowhere in the leaks. There's only 1 version of some songs that were on CD, or we know they kept working on (Catcher, IRS, ITW, Shacklers, Silkworms). Nobody had heard of SOG before the leak but it's basically a complete song. There's probably plenty of songs we'll never hear. :shrugs:

I respectfully disagree. I think there may be 1-2 songs we've never heard that are finished. And that's being generous. 

On 7/13/2024 at 3:18 AM, jamillos said:

My take is, had Monsters been included on CD, then if I had to choose one third (hell, one fourth) of the best songs, this track definitely would be among them. 

(and as for the released singles, M. would be the best one, with HS being second) 
Well, as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! 

The 2008 version of Soul Monster was probably fucking killer too. (And I happen to like the leaked version with Slash and Duff, but, the CD era version is probably as good, if not better.) Or, maybe it’s different enough where they both stand strong in their own way. I feel this way about Silkworms and Absurd, though I don’t view them near the same quality tier as Soul Monster / Monsters. 

Edited by Sweersa
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I respectfully disagree. I think there may be 1-2 songs we've never heard that are finished. And that's being generous. 

Add a zero after the 1. And that’s a conservative estimate. (Including instrumentals that Axl has later added vocals and/or renamed from the working titles we are familiar with) 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Add a zero after the 1. And that’s a conservative estimate. (Including instrumentals that Axl has later added vocals and/or renamed from the working titles we are familiar with) 

Yes I'm well aware of your thoughts regarding this lol ... I'm too jaded now. Like I said above, I won't believe it till I'm listening to it.

• Like 1

Might be a novice question, but what do you all think is the likelihood of another major GNR leak like the behemoth in 2019?

Someone somewhere out there has got to have SOMETHING we haven’t heard before… :shrugs:

3 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

You can ignore the fact that they used about 14 studios for CD sessions, and we've heard the fruits of a single one. You can ignore Tommy confirming that Axl worked on something in a studio every year. But ignoring the fact the management confirmed to some admins here (afaik) that the sequel was ready to go around 2012, that's rather silly. I understand the scepticism, but this is more like denial. 

The basic maths will then say that even if we're very strict here, we're talking about at least ten songs, out of which we may or may not have heard/received about one half. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jamillos said:

You can ignore the fact that they used about 14 studios for CD sessions, and we've heard the fruits of a single one. You can ignore Tommy confirming that Axl worked on something in a studio every year. But ignoring the fact the management confirmed to some admins here (afaik) that the sequel was ready to go around 2012, that's rather silly. I understand the scepticism, but this is more like denial. 

The basic maths will then say that even if we're very strict here, we're talking about at least ten songs, out of which we may or may not have heard/received about one half. 

14 studios does not mean unique material for each studio. They could have easily spent all of that time in those 14 studios doing the work on the 30 songs they had by 2000 (or whatever amount it was whatever year early on). Endless tinkering, at Axl's direction. Or, just simply jamming, as a band, as they were reported to have been doing, on a massive salary. Axl "working" on something in a studio every year is incredibly vague and means nothing. It certainly does not mean he was laying vocals down every year, for songs we have yet to hear. We all know how Axl is. It is much more likely that every year in the studio was spent doing things like what we joke about here regarding db levels. And are you seriously using MANAGEMENT as a source for your argument? Is that a joke? Seriously??? Even if that WERE true, it's not whether we may or may not have received about half, we DID, and ARE receiving those songs from that album. 

Absurd, Hardschool, Perhaps, The General, Atlas Shrugged, Monsters, OMG, Goin Down ... That's 8 right there. My point (which also coincidentally happens to be my opinion) still stands. 

6 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

14 studios does not mean unique material for each studio. They could have easily spent all of that time in those 14 studios doing the work on the 30 songs they had by 2000 (or whatever amount it was whatever year early on). Endless tinkering, at Axl's direction. Or, just simply jamming, as a band, as they were reported to have been doing, on a massive salary. Axl "working" on something in a studio every year is incredibly vague and means nothing. It certainly does not mean he was laying vocals down every year, for songs we have yet to hear. We all know how Axl is. It is much more likely that every year in the studio was spent doing things like what we joke about here regarding db levels. And are you seriously using MANAGEMENT as a source for your argument? Is that a joke? Seriously??? Even if that WERE true, it's not whether we may or may not have received about half, we DID, and ARE receiving those songs from that album. 

Absurd, Hardschool, Perhaps, The General, Atlas Shrugged, Monsters, OMG, Goin Down ... That's 8 right there. My point (which also coincidentally happens to be my opinion) still stands. 

Yeah, I'm usually also sceptical about the management (new album in 6 months, anyone?), but this one sounds real, not to mention Axl himself said already at the time of CD release there were 2 records planned. However, I just refuse to believe he used another 13 studios and spent millions just to tinker with what we already know from the Village. The logic and probability says there's more. Or at least the songs that had no vocals on the Village - I didn't play them more than once. But I suppose they wouldn't be considered unheard. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Could be true, but it's totally unrealistic that someone who is in charge of printing the setlists puts a song if It is not finished.

Then, we already know from Dave Domínguez that Oklahoma was one of the most developed instrumentals around 1997,  then appears on a setlists and some years later Axl told that It had lyrics and that it's name changed to Berlín, so it's more than probable that It is finished for the fact that has been worked since 1997 to minimum 2008.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Yeah, and Monsters is not better than the 70% of the CD songs?

Axl just releases what he wants not what sounds better because Hardschool (old version) and probably Soul Monster are among his best songs to release around the CD era and he chose to not release them because he wants them to be one the following album.

• Like 1