The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

39 minutes ago, EvanG said:

maybe move on instead of whining about it like a broken record. Because again, what's the point?

At this point I'd accept a broken record from GnR, over their current output. 

You do realise we're on a GnR forum right? On a new album thread? We can talk about the Olympics or the weather if you like. So the point about talking about GnR's album output on an album thread on a GnR forum, seems rather pertinent, does it not? 

Edited by JimiRose
  • Like 2

Just now, JimiRose said:

At this point I'd accept a broken record from GnR, over their current output. 

You do realise we're on a GnR forum right? On a new album thread? We can talk about the Olympics or the weather if you like. So the point about talking about GnR's album output on an album thread on a GnR forum, seems rather pertinent, does it not? Feel free to leave the chat.

You didn't answer what the point is, though.
GnR isn't your band. If you were a member, all your constant whining and complaining might lead to something. 
If the members in GnR are content with the way this band is, then that's how it is. Sucks for you and me. Well, mostly for you because it seems you are emotionally very invested in this band, me not so much. But there's nothing to do but accept it and respect that every band/person is different. But you have a lot of trouble with that. Too bad.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Not sure we can count disbanded and not active bands as counting.

I think it makes perfect sense to compare with all other bands that were popular when GN'R was at their height, and not discount those that have disbanded, when we want to have a look at what projectories we could expect

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I think it is more fair to compare with other bands that were popular in the late 80s and early 90s. Picking one of the biggest bands today is biased against GN'R who is a nostalgia act who was at their biggest in the 90s. How many of the bands active in the early 90s are still releasing albums, or even still exist to tour around the world?

To answer this I picked the Billboard January 1990 list (randomly; Billboard 200™) and removed all solo artists, focusing on groups/bands and their studio LPs albums (so no live or EPs):

New Kids On The Block: Have been more on and off since their heyday but did a reunion and has released three studio albums in the last 16 years.
Aerosmith: No description required. Active until very recently, released two studio albums in the last 16 years.
The B-52s: Quite similar projectory to GN'R, a nostalgia band that released their last studio album in 2008.
The Rolling Stones: No description required, released two studio albums in the last 16 years.
Motley Crue: Very similar to GN'R, released their last studio album in 2008.
Whitesnake: Still ongoing, released four studio albums in the last 16 years.
Skid Row: Again, another band very similar to GN'R, one studio album in the last 16 years.
Soul II Soul: Still touring, no albums in the last 16 years.
Rush: One studio album in the last 16 years.
Tears For Fears: Quite similar to GN'R, reunion and one studio album in the last 16 years.
Bad English: Disbanded. No studio albums in the last 16 years.
The 2 Live Crew: Still ongoing after a reunion, no studio albums in the last 16 years.
Eurythmics: Disbanded. No studio albums in the last 16 years.
Roxette: Seems to have ended now: three studio albums in the last 16 years.
Fine Young Cannibals: Well, it drives me crazy but they have disbanded and with no albums in the last 16 years.
Tesla: Still active, four new studio albums in the last 16 years.
Poco: Disbanded, one studio album in the last 16 years.
Chicago: Six studio albums in the last 16 years.
Scorpions: Three studio albums in the last 16 years.
KIX: Disbanded, one studio album in the last 16 years.
Warrant: Still active two studio albums in the last 16 years.
Technotronic: Disbanded, no albums in the last 16 years.
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Four studio albums in the last 16 years.
Kiss: Still active, two albums in the last 16 years.
Grateful Dead: Disbanded, no new albums in the last 16 years.
Bon Jovi: Six studio albums in the last 16 years.
The Cure: One studio album in the last 16 years.
Seduction: No studio albums in the last 16 years.
Duran Duran: Still active, four studio albums in the last 16 years.
Great White: Three studio albums in the last 16 years.
3rd Bass: Disbanded, no albums in the last 16 years.
The Smithereens: Still active, four albums in the last 16 years.

So, to summary, out of these 32 groups the average number of studio albums in the last 16 years is 1.9 albums. 28% had released 0 new albums in these years, and 28% of these groups are now disbanded.

Could it be better? Yes, GN'Rs output is below the average with 0.9 albums. Could it be worse? Oh, definitely, they could be among the 28% that are not active.

There's will always be *what-aboutery*. I see what you did and ok...but if you were to take the 16 years prior to Chinese, you'd also find quite a lot of albums from your examples!  As that's our problem, our drought isn't just since Chinese, it's 30+ years - that's a 1/3 of a good life! It's crazy...

Truth is, old school from the time bands like Pearl Jam and Green Day (whom both just released really decent records actually) know how to still put stuff out and market it, promote and tour in age dignified ways. 

Yes, we're still touring BUT that's the whole point....fine for the first 3,4 years but honestly, I don't think the reunion should still be going now (it's mostly the same show!) unless there's a new album or reason to go on! 

I repeat and I think it's the only thing that matters -

"know the main object of their job, is to provide regular material for the fan base, to hold interest..." That is the job of a decent musician. @JimiRose haha just read your comment about 1993 as I finish this. Soo in agreement!  If you factor that in, surely GNR would be bottom or near so of any active bands from 1990, in terms of output. There's really no arguing with facts....

It's why little leaks seem like a massive worldly Christmas to us and just another day for any other band fans

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

There's will always be *what-aboutery*. I see what you did and ok...but if you were to take the 16 years prior to Chinese, you'd also find quite a lot of albums from your examples!  As that's our problem, our drought isn't just since Chinese, it's 30+ years - that's a 1/3 of a good life! It's crazy...

Truth is, old school from the time bands like Pearl Jam and Green Day (whom both just released really decent records actually) know how to still put stuff out and market it, promote and tour in age dignified ways. 

Yes, we're still touring BUT that's the whole point....fine for the first 3,4 years but honestly, I don't think the reunion should still be going now (it's mostly the same show!) unless there's a new album or reason to go on! 

I repeat and I think it's the only thing that matters -

"know the main object of their job, is to provide regular material for the fan base, to hold interest..." That is the job of a decent musician. @JimiRose haha just read your comment about 1993 as I finish this. Soo in agreement!  If you factor that in, surely GNR would be bottom or near so of any active bands from 1990, in terms of output. There's really no arguing with facts....

It's why little leaks seem like a massive worldly Christmas to us and just another day for any other band fans

Is anyone denying that GN'R has a poor output? I don't think that is a fact that anyone is disagreeing with. My conclusion when looking at all bands that were popular in January 1990, also confirmed this, with GN'R in these last 16 years being below average. They are not good at releasing music. Period.

But my point is simply that it isn't all doom and gloom like so many fans presents it: When looking at the bands popular back then, 28% have gone down and under. At least GN'R has not only released new music in these last 16 years, they are also touring actively across the world. That's a lot better that that particular alternative, and anyone who knows the history of the band knows how close they were at that happening.

So again, it isn't as great as we would want it, but it surely isn't as bad as it could have been, GN'R could have been like any of those band at the list that are active but haven't released music in the  last 16 years, or even worse, they could have been disbanded years ago. The glass isn't full, but it sure isn't empty either. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Plus Soul Monsters comparison was from 2008.  Perhaps it should be how many albums have those bands released since 1993?

Hmm? I was looking at bands that were popular in January 1990 and their trajectories (yay, I finally got the word right!) since then. Some have disbanded, some have stopped releasing music but still tour at some level, and some have released music in these last 16 years. You have all kinds of destinies. GN'R's path has been somewhere in the middle, they are still spectacularly successful at touring but barely release music. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I think it is more fair to compare with other bands that were popular in the late 80s and early 90s. Picking one of the biggest bands today is biased against GN'R who is a nostalgia act who was at their biggest in the 90s. How many of the bands active in the early 90s are still releasing albums, or even still exist to tour around the world?

To answer this I picked the Billboard January 1990 list (randomly; Billboard 200™) and removed all solo artists, focusing on groups/bands and their studio LPs albums (so no live or EPs):

New Kids On The Block: Have been more on and off since their heyday but did a reunion and has released three studio albums in the last 16 years.
Aerosmith: No description required. Active until very recently, released two studio albums in the last 16 years.
The B-52s: Quite similar projectory to GN'R, a nostalgia band that released their last studio album in 2008.
The Rolling Stones: No description required, released two studio albums in the last 16 years.
Motley Crue: Very similar to GN'R, released their last studio album in 2008.
Whitesnake: Still ongoing, released four studio albums in the last 16 years.
Skid Row: Again, another band very similar to GN'R, one studio album in the last 16 years.
Soul II Soul: Still touring, no albums in the last 16 years.
Rush: One studio album in the last 16 years.
Tears For Fears: Quite similar to GN'R, reunion and one studio album in the last 16 years.
Bad English: Disbanded. No studio albums in the last 16 years.
The 2 Live Crew: Still ongoing after a reunion, no studio albums in the last 16 years.
Eurythmics: Disbanded. No studio albums in the last 16 years.
Roxette: Seems to have ended now: three studio albums in the last 16 years.
Fine Young Cannibals: Well, it drives me crazy but they have disbanded and with no albums in the last 16 years.
Tesla: Still active, four new studio albums in the last 16 years.
Poco: Disbanded, one studio album in the last 16 years.
Chicago: Six studio albums in the last 16 years.
Scorpions: Three studio albums in the last 16 years.
KIX: Disbanded, one studio album in the last 16 years.
Warrant: Still active two studio albums in the last 16 years.
Technotronic: Disbanded, no albums in the last 16 years.
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Four studio albums in the last 16 years.
Kiss: Still active, two albums in the last 16 years.
Grateful Dead: Disbanded, no new albums in the last 16 years.
Bon Jovi: Six studio albums in the last 16 years.
The Cure: One studio album in the last 16 years.
Seduction: No studio albums in the last 16 years.
Duran Duran: Still active, four studio albums in the last 16 years.
Great White: Three studio albums in the last 16 years.
3rd Bass: Disbanded, no albums in the last 16 years.
The Smithereens: Still active, four albums in the last 16 years.

So, to summary, out of these 32 groups the average number of studio albums in the last 16 years is 1.9 albums. 28% had released 0 new albums in these years, and 28% of these groups are now disbanded.

Could it be better? Yes, GN'Rs output is below the average with 0.9 albums. Could it be worse? Oh, definitely, they could be among the 28% that are not active.

Damn stadistics..... now im satisfied with the album releases.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

GnR isn't your band. If you were a member, all your constant whining and complaining might lead to something. 
If the members in GnR are content with the way this band is, then that's how it is. Sucks for you and me. Well, mostly for you because it seems you are emotionally very invested in this band, me not so much. But there's nothing to do but accept it and respect that every band/person is different. But you have a lot of trouble with that. Too bad.

I would argue that the band aren't content with the releases. Even Axl. Despite him being the reason. And yes it sucks for you and me, and ultimately that is what is most important to you and me. Thus it is my right to whine, especially as with it being GnR, it is vindicated. Does it get me anywhere? Probably not, i doubt Axl cares, but without new music i won't go to live shows anymore, so i can vote with my feet at least. 

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I think it makes perfect sense to compare with all other bands that were popular when GN'R was at their height, and not discount those that have disbanded, when we want to have a look at what projectories we could expect

In that case, I would say can we have it from 1993 instead, when all bands mentioned were active in some capacity. 

2 hours ago, JimiRose said:

In that case, I would say can we have it from 1993 instead, when all bands mentioned were active in some capacity. 

Alright. I had some time so I took all the bands featured on Billboard Top 200 album list in January 1990, and counted their albums from 1993 and to the present. I also looked at whether each band had gone through reunions and reformations, and I made a note of whether the band is still active or not or has been disbanded.

The average number of albums (studio, LPs) for all the resulting 79 bands/groups was 4.4. For comparison, GN'R has 2. BUT, the 4.4 is somewhat too high since for some bands compilation albums were included, while I didn't include GN'R compilation albums in the same period. Still, even if we were to remove all compilation albums, I am sure GN'R's output would be below the average. 

Also noteworthy that 25.3% of these bands are now defunct and that there are bands worse than GN'R (still active but having released less since 1993).

Again, GN'R is very good at touring but poor at releasing music (as we knew). Still, it could be a lot worse.

uten_131.png

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Hmm? I was looking at bands that were popular in January 1990 and their trajectories (yay, I finally got the word right!) since then. Some have disbanded, some have stopped releasing music but still tour at some level, and some have released music in these last 16 years. You have all kinds of destinies. GN'R's path has been somewhere in the middle, they are still spectacularly successful at touring but barely release music. 

Yea, you did an interesting stat attack....but you don't seem to be thinking about our retorts....do the same but now include the release of all your examples from 1990 to now....it'll be stark different picture....I'd expect most to slow down by this later career point but only after having a career of 10-15 albums for a 40-50 year band. 

it's more than just that every band is different. it's the Axl Rose factor. he has the final say and had a lot of influence in old Guns as well. he has released very few albums in his lifetime and that's the guiding factor imo, especially now that he has even more power as the leader of current Gn'R.

there's no point in comparing Axl's output with Gn'R or without to any other band or musician. perhaps Robin Finck but that's it heh

28 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Yea, you did an interesting stat attack....but you don't seem to be thinking about our retorts....do the same but now include the release of all your examples from 1990 to now....it'll be stark different picture....I'd expect most to slow down by this later career point but only after having a career of 10-15 albums for a 40-50 year band. 

Hmm? Why should I think about your retorts?

I did the same for 1993 and onwards, it doesn't really change anything: GN'R still release less than most (but more than the least) but is still active unlike 25% of the bands. Again, it is a case of the glass being neither full or empty. But fans gonna fans. 

7 hours ago, EvanG said:

What the fuck?? 😄

You can't whine because you're not in the band is so moronic.

I get the accept it for what it is (which I do), but you absolutely can bitch and moan, hope and wish it was something else.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Alright. I had some time so I took all the bands featured on Billboard Top 200 album list in January 1990, and counted their albums from 1993 and to the present. I also looked at whether each band had gone through reunions and reformations, and I made a note of whether the band is still active or not or has been disbanded.

The average number of albums (studio, LPs) for all the resulting 79 bands/groups was 4.4. For comparison, GN'R has 2. BUT, the 4.4 is somewhat too high since for some bands compilation albums were included, while I didn't include GN'R compilation albums in the same period. Still, even if we were to remove all compilation albums, I am sure GN'R's output would be below the average. 

Also noteworthy that 25.3% of these bands are now defunct and that there are bands worse than GN'R (still active but having released less since 1993).

Again, GN'R is very good at touring but poor at releasing music (as we knew). Still, it could be a lot worse.

uten_131.png

What was the 2nd gnr LP since after Chinese? Are they counting the greatest hits?

23 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

What the fuck?? 😄

I get the accept it for what it is (which I do), but you absolutely can bitch and moan, hope and wish it was something else.

but it is what it is already and has been for 3 decades. what is the point. venting? venting for eternity.

Hmm? Why should I think about your retorts?

I did the same for 1993 and onwards, it doesn't really change anything: GN'R still release less than most (but more than the least) but is still active unlike 25% of the bands. Again, it is a case of the glass being neither full or empty. But fans gonna fans. 

As conversations are fluid not fullstops 🙂 

Edited by colonizedmind

28 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

What was the 2nd gnr LP since after Chinese? Are they counting the greatest hits?

Two albums since 1993, Spaghetti and Chinese. I deliberately didn't include GN'R's compilations. 

3 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

As conversations are fluid not fullstops 🙂 

And aren't we conversing? 

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

What the fuck?? 😄

Everyone is allowed to complain and whine as much as they want, but still no one has answered me what the point is. Especially when it’s the same complaint over and over. Because that’s what I’m referring to, not valid criticism. Is it going to change anything? Is Axl going to read it and think… they’re right, I will change my way. What is the point of coming here just to copy and paste the same thing (Axl sucks, GnR sucks) for the umpteenth time. I don’t think there is a point, people just love to whine online, it’s the world we live in now. So knock yourself out and good luck with that.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Everyone is allowed to complain and whine as much as they want, but still no one has answered me what the point is. Especially when it’s the same complaint over and over. Is it going to change anything? Is Axl going to read it and think… they’re right, I will change my way. What is the point of coming here just to copy and paste the same thing (Axl sucks, GnR sucks) for the umpteenth time. I don’t think there is a point, people just love to whine online, it’s the world we live in now. So knock yourself out and good luck with that.

It's not that you hope Axl reads it or that you think you can change things. It's that you think about it and you get annoyed and you want to vent. You say your piece and you feel exorcised🙏 is there any great point in doing it? No, we could all be doing many, many other more beneficial things than posting anything on here or online in general. 

Two albums since 1993, Spaghetti and Chinese. I deliberately didn't include GN'R's compilations. 

And aren't we conversing? 

Forgot spaghetti incident!! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

It's not that you hope Axl reads it or that you think you can change things. It's that you think about it and you get annoyed and you want to vent. You say your piece and you feel exorcised🙏 is there any great point in doing it? No, we could all be doing many, many other more beneficial things than posting anything on here or online in general. 

I understand venting and there is nothing wrong with it per se, I’m sure I’ve done it too at one point or another, but there are posters here who I have seen type (or paste) the same sentiment hundreds of times by now. And yes, that is allowed apparently, but what is the point of logging onto a forum on a weekly basis to repeat the same thing? I don’t think there is one, but again, godspeed and all.

• GNFNR 2

8 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I understand venting and there is nothing wrong with it per se, I’m sure I’ve done it too at one point or another, but there are posters here who I have seen type (or paste) the same sentiment hundreds of times by now. And yes, that is allowed apparently, but what is the point of logging onto a forum on a weekly basis to repeat the same thing? I don’t think there is one, but again, godspeed and all.

there comes a point where venting becomes infantile. Its kinda like saying 'my wife's a cunt, what a cunt wife, I should divorce her' for 30 years but you never do, you just repeat how cunty she is to your friends, how cool she used to be and how old she is now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

there comes a point where venting becomes infantile. Its kinda like saying 'my wife's a cunt, what a cunt wife, I should divorce her' for 30 years but you never do, you just repeat how cunty she is to your friends, how cool she used to be and how old she is now.

What if you vent AND don't support the band by buying tickets or streaming the new music you don't enjoy? I'd say that scuppers your point. Unless you think if you don't like current day gnr then you shouldn't be here sharing opinions?

To me it makes as little sense to be arguing that people shouldn't vent frustrations. It's like saying 'my wife's a cun...' Ah You get my drift😄

15 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

What if you vent AND don't support the band by buying tickets or streaming the new music you don't enjoy? I'd say that scuppers your point. Unless you think if you don't like current day gnr then you shouldn't be here sharing opinions?

To me it makes as little sense to be arguing that people shouldn't vent frustrations. It's like saying 'my wife's a cun...' Ah You get my drift😄

I think people should say whatever the rules of the forum allows them to say. I'm not against critic. I just find it pointless to always be bitter about shit we had time to get used to already, shit that will probably is not going to change.

I'm well aware of the frustration but if you vent about the same shit, the same way all the time I think it defeats the purpose of constructive venting where you reach a point where you are ok with it or you just don't expect it to change so you adjust your attitude accordingly but you do your thing.

my hope is that as time passes the discussions here about Gn'R will contain less bitter posts about shit we can't change cause that's sad imo instead of seeing it for what it is and being far less angry about it while it's your choice to spend time discussing this band on the internet. not specifically talking about you, and it's just my opinion.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1