The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

I think people should say whatever the rules of the forum allows them to say. I'm not against critic. I just find it pointless to always be bitter about shit we had time to get used to already, shit that will probably is not going to change.

I'm well aware of the frustration but if you vent about the same shit, the same way all the time I think it defeats the purpose of constructive venting where you reach a point where you are ok with it or you just don't expect it to change so you adjust your attitude accordingly but you do your thing.

my hope is that as time passes the discussions here about Gn'R will contain less bitter posts about shit we can't change cause that's sad imo instead of seeing it for what it is and being far less angry about it while it's your choice to spend time discussing this band on the internet. not specifically talking about you, and it's just my opinion.

That's not going to happen though, you may as well ask for world peace while you're at it.

The reality is a lot are checked out, then gnr hit the road and are reminded what they're up to and how they sound and can't help but critique. It's all through love of the band though, so that's a positive.

I don't think the majority are angry though, some definitely take a few steps too far though, and some people really hit you over the head with the same speech week in and out. Healthier things to do, we can all agree on that.

Just now, Tom2112 said:

That's not going to happen though, you may as well ask for world peace while you're at it.

The reality is a lot are checked out, then gnr hit the road and are reminded what they're up to and how they sound and can't help but critique. It's all through love of the band though, so that's a positive.

I don't think the majority are angry though, some definitely take a few steps too far though, and some people really hit you over the head with the same speech week in and out. Healthier things to do, we can all agree on that.

I think it will be much easier to no whine like a baby about the state of Gn'R in 2024 compared to world peace and still get to critic the band in an honest way. there are quite a few people who can't get over the fact that Axl is not, never was, and probably will never be prolific. :shrugs:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I think it will be much easier to no whine like a baby about the state of Gn'R in 2024 compared to world peace and still get to critic the band in an honest way. there are quite a few people who can't get over the fact that Axl is not, never was, and probably will never be prolific. :shrugs:

I don't think anyone here expects him to become prolific, and I don't think anger or bitterness are dominant themes. If anything, there's sadness, sympathy and confusion for what could've been and what could still be. Nobody expects a drastic change, but many still tune in because occasionally he stills pulls off something great.

If he went on stage with Billy Joel and just sang Big Shot and You May Be Right, it would've been received so much better. The frustration is voiced because he could still sound great, but seemingly refuses to acknowledge his strengths and weaknesses. Axl/DC was fucking amazing, but he can't pull those songs off anymore. His natural voice is still rich and powerful, he doesn't seem to strain nearly as hard and the result is infinitely better than the thinnest falsetto he chooses to sing with. This band barely does anything, of course the complaints are repeated... but most people here are hoping for the best.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I don't think anyone here expects him to become prolific, and I don't think anger or bitterness are dominant themes. If anything, there's sadness, sympathy and confusion for what could've been and what could still be. Nobody expects a drastic change, but many still tune in because occasionally he stills pulls off something great.

If he went on stage with Billy Joel and just sang Big Shot and You May Be Right, it would've been received so much better. The frustration is voiced because he could still sound great, but seemingly refuses to acknowledge his strengths and weaknesses. Axl/DC was fucking amazing, but he can't pull those songs off anymore. His natural voice is still rich and powerful, he doesn't seem to strain nearly as hard and the result is infinitely better than the thinnest falsetto he chooses to sing with. This band barely does anything, of course the complaints are repeated... but most people here are hoping for the best.

I'm well aware of the frustration but if you vent about the same shit, the same way all the time I think it defeats the purpose of constructive venting where you reach a point where you are ok with it or you just don't expect it to change so you adjust your attitude accordingly but you do your thing.

23 minutes ago, Rovim said:

This is probably not the right thread for this, but I'm always fascinated by the human psychology behind it in a way. Because I share the same sentiment as many of the whiners. I'm frustrated too and don't like that one of my favourite bands operates this way. Except I deal with it as an adult. They deal with it like a 12 year old who whines about the same thing every chance they get. And it makes me wonder how someone ticks. Why can some people just accept it and deal with it maturely, and others fall into repeat year in and year out and constantly express the same complaint or negativity. Are they bigger fans? Is it an OCD thing? Do they have more free time than me to waste online? Do they have amnesia and forget they've said the same thing a hundred times already?

But again, this is probably not the right thread for this.

*leaves thread*

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

This is probably not the right thread for this, but I'm always fascinated by the human psychology behind it in a way. Because I share the same sentiment as many of the whiners. I'm frustrated too and don't like that one of my favourite bands operates this way. Except I deal with it as an adult. They deal with it like a 12 year old who whines about the same thing every chance they get. And it makes me wonder how someone ticks. Why can some people just accept it and deal with it maturely, and others fall into repeat year in and year out and constantly express the same complaint or negativity. Are they bigger fans? Is it an OCD thing? Do they have more free time than me to waste online?

But again, this is probably not the right thread for this.

*leaves thread*

I think it's a defense mechanism which less mature people use to replace truly accepting the situation so you deal with by whining, creating a wobbly temporary solution that requires to repeat this childish action but it's just a guess. when Gn'R is not touring, there's more of it, so maybe it's also a combination of being frustrated cause they're bored but the habit of visiting the forum is too tempting so this is what you get, but this is not the right thread for this probably.

• Like 1

I don't think people can get so upset over something as trivial as a band not releasing lots of music. I don't think such a trivial thing can affect people's emotions that much. I think people are upset about other things in their lives and just use this forum as a platform to vent to feel better in their real lives. It becomes a punching bag for something else, something more important. And although it makes me cringe to see people whine about GN'R not releasing more music like little children, take some solace in the thought that the venting makes them cope more stoically with what is bothering them in real life. If that's what it takes for them to deal with whatever bothers them, so be it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't think people can get so upset over something as trivial as a band not releasing lots of music. I don't think such a trivial thing can affect people's emotions that much. I think people are upset about other things in their lives and just use this forum as a platform to vent to feel better in their real lives. It becomes a punching bag for something else, something more important. And although it makes me cringe to see people whine about GN'R not releasing more music like little children, take some solace in the thought that the venting makes them cope more stoically with what is bothering them in real life. If that's what it takes for them to deal with whatever bothers them, so be it. 

it fucks with the quality of the discussion, but I think that maybe part of it. I also believe in contrast that people could truly get upset about trivial things and it's truly because of the trivial thing. I'm not sure which on applies here if true.

I'd lie if I say it doesn't comfort me to know that it helps some to childishly vent here if that's the case. I would still like it to change but then again maybe I can just ignore it and maybe other people would prefer to just vent forever without anyone disturbing their coping.

12 minutes ago, Rovim said:

it fucks with the quality of the discussion, but I think that maybe part of it. I also believe in contrast that people could truly get upset about trivial things and it's truly because of the trivial thing. I'm not sure which on applies here if true.

I'd lie if I say it doesn't comfort me to know that it helps some to childishly vent here if that's the case. I would still like it to change but then again maybe I can just ignore it and maybe other people would prefer to just vent forever without anyone disturbing their coping.

I think music and bands are very important to many people and it is to me too. So when a band you grew up with, and truly love, doesn't operate how you want them to operate, I can understand that there is a lot of frustration and disappointment. I get that completely. And I get expressing that on the fan forum. What I don't get is expressing that every week for years on end, as if the community has forgotten your opinion which you've shared a hundred times already.

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

I think music and bands are very important to many people and it is to me too. So when a band you grew up with, and truly love, doesn't operate how you want them to operate, I can understand that there is a lot of frustration and disappointment. I get that completely. And I get expressing that on the fan forum. What I don't get is expressing that every week for years on end, as if the community has forgotten your opinion which you've shared a hundred times already.

yeah this is basically what I feel about it. honestly, I still care deeply about Gn'R and other musicians and bands and I was that guy who couldn't deal with how frustrating it was to be a Gn'R fan, wanting new material, etc.

another poster's attitude one day made me realize that what I was doing was avoiding the reality of it and letting it get to me instead of enjoying what we do have and reacting with proportion when shit doesn't go the way I want it to.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

Opens thread with multiple new pages hoping for any new info, finds the same three idiots talking amongst themselves about how superior they are to others that try to engage on a fairly quiet forum, leaves forum for a few more days 🤷🏻‍♂️

But hey, you do you 👍🏻

it's like you barely know how to read, but at least a few more days without your silly shit. :heart:

I think people should read more. E.g. reading up on irony. One could then find out, to their surprise, the following, among others:

- That constant complaining about constant complaining is also constant complaining. 

- That the whining about whining takes more space here than the actual whining. 

- That just because I can’t wrap my head around something, that doesn’t mean that repeating it a hundred times here will make it go away. Maybe less fanaticism and more empathy could, though. 

- That when I’m having a beer with friends, I will sometimes complain about my wife, since that’s a natural thing; but that doesn’t mean I don’t love her or that I should leave her or that I never talk about anything else. It's just venting in a space that's designed for it, among other things. 

- That what goes around comes around; when the band delivers (Ritz 91, Perhaps), they’re praised; when they don’t (most of the time), they’re scolded. It still seems surprising to some. 

- That this is not Some Other Forum, and the views are very balanced and fair here. It is understood that some people would like it to be more on the "Axl is God not matter what" side, but alas. However, repeating the same phrases and sentences for the 101st time isn’t gonna change anything, in fact only makes one look like an even bigger idiot, as they’re doing exactly the same thing that they’re criticizing. Without realizing it. Yet they’re the ones who want others to realize something. 

- That the irony is quite clear: some folks need to come to terms with certain realities and at last accept the fact that
a) they’ll never understand some people and their motives;
b) if they solely focus on negativity, then that’s all they’re gonna see around them;
c) they are the ones who have apparent issues accepting reality, which is the biggest irony of them all. 

- That it wouldn’t be completely inadvisable to try and do something they keep advising others, i.e. divert their unpaid, unwanted, uncalled for, ineffective energy somewhere else, e.g. That Other Forum, applying as mods - I’ve heard they’re hiring. The key phrases for the CV are as follows: 

- "I just don’t understand why..."
- "Some people"
- "Constant whining"
- "Just accept the"
- "Round and round"
- "Repeating" 
- "Same shit"
- "Every day"
Etc. 

In conclusion, reading up on irony is highly advisable. 
Good day to all. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

^^great post @jamillos

People should be able to vent about the lack of albums/new music from GnR. After all, it’s probably the only flaw this band has. As you rightly say, when music is on the rare occasion actually releases, the general reception is excellent.

For me, I’m frustrated as fuck because we just know that Axl is sitting on hoards of new songs. There’s no sense of entitlement here. I just want to hear more music from my favourite band. None of us are gonna live forever. Let’s hear it whilst we still can. It doesn’t need to be perfect. No music ever is.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, gavgnr said:

^^great post @jamillos

People should be able to vent about the lack of albums/new music from GnR. After all, it’s probably the only flaw this band has. As you rightly say, when music is on the rare occasion actually releases, the general reception is excellent.

For me, I’m frustrated as fuck because we just know that Axl is sitting on hoards of new songs. There’s no sense of entitlement here. I just want to hear more music from my favourite band. None of us are gonna live forever. Let’s hear it whilst we still can. It doesn’t need to be perfect. No music ever is.

people are venting like motherfuckers, it's all good. thing is, just because it doesn't need to be perfect for you or your standard of quality cause you want to hear it, doesn't change the fact that what matters is if Axl thinks it's good enough.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

- That constant complaining about constant complaining is also constant complaining. 

Another strawman, to be expected from you.
People don't constantly complain about the complaining. Sometimes the discussion goes that way because, for quite a few posters, this forum has become annoying because of it and it gets mentioned/discussed, but that's few and far between compared to your endless complaining.

And yes, people can just stop coming here, many have left already, this place isn't what it used to be. I hardly post here myself these days, especially in GnR section, but some still frequent out of habit.

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

People don't constantly complain about the complaining. Sometimes the discussion goes that way because, for quite a few posters, this forum has become annoying because of it and it gets mentioned/discussed, but that's few and far between compared to your endless complaining.

And yes, people can just stop coming here, many have left already, this place isn't what it used to be. I hardly post here myself these days, especially in GnR section, but some still frequent out of habit.

The last 2 pages of this thread has been people complaining about people complaining tbf. I'm sure that most of this thread is similar. 

You don't have to like the whining about GnRs shoddy output, but on a GnR forum on the new album thread (where there is no new album for 16 years) is the correct place to vent. When people hijack 'Slash buys new snake' style threads with 'Fuck the snake, wheres my new album, axl sucks, life is shit' etc you would have a point. But here is supposed to be a safe space for all us saddos to vent our frustrations without fear of judgement from a higher power such as yourself. 

Is complaining there is no new album likely to get us a new album? No. we're not stupid. However, this thread is literally the place where it should be done. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

The last 2 pages of this thread has been people complaining about people complaining tbf. I'm sure that most of this thread is similar. 

You don't have to like the whining about GnRs shoddy output, but on a GnR forum on the new album thread (where there is no new album for 16 years) is the correct place to vent. When people hijack 'Slash buys new snake' style threads with 'Fuck the snake, wheres my new album, axl sucks, life is shit' etc you would have a point. But here is supposed to be a safe space for all us saddos to vent our frustrations without fear of judgement from a higher power such as yourself. 

Is complaining there is no new album likely to get us a new album? No. we're not stupid. However, this thread is literally the place where it should be done. 

I agree. That's also what I said a few posts earlier, a fan forum is the place to express your complaints. But again, and I realize I'm repeating myself, I don't see why some folks say the exact same thing over and over on a weekly basis, because it's clear for everyone who reads this forum, how that poster feels about it when he/she expressed the same thing so many times already.

As for the stupid argument ''complaining about the complaining'' is simply not fair and used as a straw man. When you compare the two, you get a very different ratio, I am sure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

Is it a strawman tho? 
A strawman is when you misrepresents somebody’s argument and argue your misrepresentation rather than the actual argument. 
it doesn’t seem to me like he has done that at all.

1 minute ago, Lelex95 said:

Is it a strawman tho? 
A strawman is when you misrepresents somebody’s argument and argue your misrepresentation rather than the actual argument. 
it doesn’t seem to me like he has done that at all.

He claims people here are constantly complaining about the people who are constantly complaining. Granted, I don't read this forum as much as I used to, but when I scan some of these threads, I think the ratio isn't nearly the same, so it's a really bad argument/straw man, whatever the right term is.

8 minutes ago, EvanG said:

He claims people here are constantly complaining about the people who are constantly complaining. Granted, I don't read this forum as much as I used to, but when I scan some of these threads, I think the ratio isn't nearly the same, so it's a really bad argument/straw man, whatever the right term is.

A strawman is a very particular fallacy and it didn’t seem like a strawman to me. 
I couldn’t quantify the amount of complaining vs the complaining about the complaining but I have to admit that anytime I see people complaining somebody will c’è out and complain about them complaining. 
im also pretty annoyed by both forms of complaining but its a forum about a band that is notorious for making their fans suffer. 

1 minute ago, Lelex95 said:

A strawman is a very particular fallacy and it didn’t seem like a strawman to me. 
I couldn’t quantify the amount of complaining vs the complaining about the complaining but I have to admit that anytime I see people complaining somebody will c’è out and complain about them complaining
im also pretty annoyed by both forms of complaining but its a forum about a band that is notorious for making their fans suffer. 

I thought a straw man is an an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument. Whatever it means, I think you know what I mean when I say that I think it's a factually incorrect argument. Because I think it's safe to say that there's a lot more repetitive complaining about the same thing than complaining about the complaining going on here. I can understand both are annoying. For me this is maybe the 3rd time I let myself fall into this discussion again in the last few years because I barely post here nowadays, mainly because of the repetitive complaining. But this time I sincerely expressed myself about how I don't understand the point of repetition, maybe trying to understand where it comes from for once, but I still don't.