The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

On 8/17/2024 at 12:16 PM, Dean said:

Monsters is a top tier GNR tune to my lugs. It would quite comfortably slot into my top 5 and is confirmation, along with what I've heard from the Village Sessions that Axl has had enough material for decades to make another great Guns N' Roses album. The execution of these singles are disappointingly disjointed in terms of the mix/mastering, but it is what it is and it's certainly better than nothing. 

I'm really looking forward to hearing Axl's efforts on this Schenker record - if the pipes are there, then I'd be all for the guys working on something from scratch, though it would be a travesty for the Chinese era songs to lay dormant. I'd also like to see what working with a new producer could do for the band, the likes of Andrew Watt has galvanized the Stones and McCartney among others, there will be someone out there who could definitely do likewise for GNR - so long as they're active, there's a chance of it happening despite being incredibly unlikely.

Top tier? 

It's ok. You might just have listened to the old material too much and now be tired of it? But there's not really any way Monsters is cracking the top 5 of all the gnr songs out there. 

Incredible breakdown section. So, so verse. Forgettable solo. It's also one of the better tracks that Slash and Duff have worked on

4 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

New album or nothing. Nothing that is already officially released (several years ago) should be included on a new album

Oh, I av very sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but Slash said the exact plan was to maybe compile the singles unto an album.

Furthermore, believing they will ever start from scratch making a new album, and that this will be completed before old age takes them all, is a bit bizarre. 

1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

Top tier? 

It's ok. You might just have listened to the old material too much and now be tired of it? But there's not really any way Monsters is cracking the top 5 of all the gnr songs out there. 

Is it not possible this is entirely subjective?

25 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

When it becomes unlikely.

People almost gave up before the release of UYIs, some people gave up before the release of CD, some people give up now, too.

Difference being though the band openly discussed those albums that were being worked on and gave updates, at least we knew there was something being created. As for now and for the past however many years now all we’ve had is “we’re figuring out how” or “we would like to”, there’s nothing there (that we’re aware of). I struggle to believe there will be a new album, I hope there will be of course but I’m not holding my breath for it sadly

1 hour ago, D4NNY said:

Difference being though the band openly discussed those albums that were being worked on and gave updates, at least we knew there was something being created. As for now and for the past however many years now all we’ve had is “we’re figuring out how” or “we would like to”, there’s nothing there (that we’re aware of). I struggle to believe there will be a new album, I hope there will be of course but I’m not holding my breath for it sadly

Yes, Axl has stopped talking...about anything. That doesn't mean his plans for new music had changed. It just means he is not talking. Akin to the "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence". The last he said was that he wanted to release more, and this was supported by Slash more recently, and supported by the single releases. It's like when some years passes fans forget not only what has been said but also that incredibly long waits is exactly what we should expect. But GN'R fans don't do waiting very well, they forget and fill the silence with their own fears and pessimism. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Top tier? 

Incredible breakdown section. So, so verse. Forgettable solo. It's also one of the better tracks that Slash and Duff have worked on

It's all subjective at the end of the day, you do you!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Oh, I av very sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but Slash said the exact plan was to maybe compile the singles unto an album.

Furthermore, believing they will ever start from scratch making a new album, and that this will be completed before old age takes them all, is a bit bizarre. 

Is it not possible this is entirely subjective?

Slash also said he doesn't know what will become of those songs so that's not conclusive AND in another interview he clarified his idea of a new album not being more Axl/Chinese era songs

Of course it's subjective, I'm more stating my own personal surprise that someone is that high on the song. Then again there's people here who hate PC, SCOM, JUNGLE, NV... So I generally have to take some opinions and tastes with a pinch of salt, not to be a catty bitch 😸 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Slash also said he doesn't know what will become of those songs so that's not conclusive AND in another interview he clarified his idea of a new album not being more Axl/Chinese era songs

Of course it's subjective, I'm more stating my own personal surprise that someone is that high on the song. Then again there's people here who hate PC, SCOM, JUNGLE, NV... So I generally have to take some opinions and tastes with a pinch of salt, not to be a catty bitch 😸 

To be honest I don’t hate any of the songs listed but I think I heard them enough, I don’t switch if they come up on the radio but I can’t remember when was the last time I played scom. 

14 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I never said it was conclusive. And things can always change in the GN'R world. Still, the plan back then was that they would release more CD era material and possibly compile it into an album. They seem to be still working according to this plan, just very slowly. 

That Slash don't consider such a compiled album of old material to be a proper GN'R album is irrelevant. It is still the most likely scenario, and in my opinion more likely than not.

37 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I never said it was conclusive. And things can always change in the GN'R world. Still, the plan back then was that they would release more CD era material and possibly compile it into an album. They seem to be still working according to this plan, just very slowly. 

That Slash don't consider such a compiled album of old material to be a proper GN'R album is irrelevant. It is still the most likely scenario, and in my opinion more likely than not.

Possible yes. But somewhere in the chain of management, record company individual band members someone has to point out that the cat is out of the bag with what would be about 50% of the material. That 50% got a pretty mixed to ignored response. They have stats, they have all the info to know how their singles did, even just in comparison to other legacy acts, and it's pretty clear the songs weren't all that popular. So yes, in the gnr world it is likely they would still release an album of already released material, but I cannot fathom how there wouldn't be some pushback.

As for Slash's comments. Well not to be a dick, but his comment trump your opinion everyday seen as he actually has a clue about potential plans and the actual inner workings. We just have educated guesses. My educated guess is they never manage to get a new album together

25 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Possible yes. But somewhere in the chain of management, record company individual band members someone has to point out that the cat is out of the bag with what would be about 50% of the material. That 50% got a pretty mixed to ignored response. They have stats, they have all the info to know how their singles did, even just in comparison to other legacy acts, and it's pretty clear the songs weren't all that popular. So yes, in the gnr world it is likely they would still release an album of already released material, but I cannot fathom how there wouldn't be some pushback.

As for Slash's comments. Well not to be a dick, but his comment trump your opinion everyday seen as he actually has a clue about potential plans and the actual inner workings. We just have educated guesses. My educated guess is they never manage to get a new album together

They (including Axl) must be aware that an album of CD leftovers including all the songs already released will be a total non event and forgotten in two weeks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Ah, my point was that there was nothing in Slash' comment that suggested that the plan had changed, only that he wouldn't consider it a proper GN'R album of new material. 

As for pushback, from a label perspective it is probably better to release an album that is already made to recoup some of the costs incurred, than just sit on the material. That is probably a moot point, since Axl likely owns the material. 

On 8/19/2024 at 12:05 PM, Tom2112 said:

Top tier? 

I disagree about the verse being so so. I love Axl's Ozzy-like delivery and the lyrics in the verses. I agree about the solo. People get mocked for liking the cellphone clip better but the solo is very clearly audible in the clip, and it's much better than the final result. The attempt to make the song more bluesy just to fit the current lineup was ham-fisted.

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Ah, my point was that there was nothing in Slash' comment that suggested that the plan had changed, only that he wouldn't consider it a proper GN'R album of new material. 

As for pushback, from a label perspective it is probably better to release an album that is already made to recoup some of the costs incurred, than just sit on the material. That is probably a moot point, since Axl likely owns the material. 

Costs for the CD sessions are already covered. When best buy did the deal for the release they basically covered all of the label costs.

But he didn't say that. He said the new album would be material he wrote, not just Axl/chinese era material that he rearranged. Not saying this will definitely happen, but that was the last thing he said publicly about a new guns album. Obviously the easy route is releasing the leftover tracks, just hope there's more of an interest in a great record rather than pleasing Axl by releasing songs he sat on for 20yrs or just getting something out there. 

Axl had all the time and power in the world to release these songs and he didn't, he needs to be a big boy and accept that the time for them has come and gone a LONG time ago. And if the plan was a new album featuring those songs, then it only worked if you released things in some sort of schedule and then released an album. But they released stand alone EP's, cat is out of the bag, who outside of completists is going out buying this record? And how are they going to gather interest when the first 4 songs have not managed to really capture people's attention. I know we say with GNR you can't think in logical ways, because they don't work that way... But it makes no business sense to spend millions producing product that can't at least come close to breaking even. A brand new great record actually written by the current band will struggle to make money and get attention, the other option would just bomb.

47 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I disagree about the verse being so so. I love Axl's Ozzy-like delivery and the lyrics in the verses. I agree about the solo. People get mocked for liking the cellphone clip better but the solo is very clearly audible in the clip, and it's much better than the final result. The attempt to make the song more bluesy just to fit the current lineup was ham-fisted.

Verse is ok, it's not great. I like Axls vocal though, just think the guitar work adds nothing and ultimately brings it down. The pre chorus sounds like a completely unrelated song though and it's jarring. There is a song there but it needs work, same can be said for every one of the 4 songs. For example Absurd with a different vocal and that weird breakdown removed would have been a crushing new single from gnr. Great guitar work, loads of energy in the performance, but that one note style vocal bombed it. 

Obviously this is my personal opinion, but I also think it mirrors the overall reaction from the people I've heard talk about these songs.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

But he didn't say that. He said the new album would be material he wrote, not just Axl/chinese era material that he rearranged. Not saying this will definitely happen, but that was the last thing he said publicly about a new guns album. Obviously the easy route is releasing the leftover tracks, just hope there's more of an interest in a great record rather than pleasing Axl by releasing songs he sat on for 20yrs or just getting something out there. 

Duff though in a couple of his recent interviews talked about the likelihood of compiling the leftovers into an album - he said that is probably going to happen.

But of course plans change etc.

• Sad 1

On 8/19/2024 at 6:05 PM, Tom2112 said:

Top tier? 

Probably not top 5 but it’s definitely a very good song, i honestly don’t agree with the solo being forgettable, I absolutely love the outro solo. 
I get what you’re saying tho, if we had to make a compilation of the single we have and those we can expect to come out soon, we don’t have any track that really stands out as a big gun. 
I still think it would be a cool album. 

1 hour ago, Lelex95 said:

Probably not top 5 but it’s definitely a very good song, i honestly don’t agree with the solo being forgettable, I absolutely love the outro solo. 
I get what you’re saying tho, if we had to make a compilation of the single we have and those we can expect to come out soon, we don’t have any track that really stands out as a big gun. 

Just feel like it's a flat tyre at this point though, had they dropped a single or two and then put of nowhere we got another 8 songs on a full album 👌 

I don't think the songwriting is there though, Axl was searching for something new and he hit the mark sometimes but I'm starting to think those times were released on Chinese and the rest were a bit more unfinished. Could be some great shit left though, that's the thing you just don't know what's in that vault

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Duff though in a couple of his recent interviews talked about the likelihood of compiling the leftovers into an album - he said that is probably going to happen.

But of course plans change etc.

Just goes to show how unlikely anything of substance is when you have three heads saying three different things. If Duff and Slash aren't even on the same page there's no hope. Again, this is 1995/96 again but they are getting on better and able to tour.

• PERHAPS 1

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Just feel like it's a flat tyre at this point though, had they dropped a single or two and then put of nowhere we got another 8 songs on a full album 👌 

I don't think the songwriting is there though, Axl was searching for something new and he hit the mark sometimes but I'm starting to think those times were released on Chinese and the rest were a bit more unfinished. Could be some great shit left though, that's the thing you just don't know what's in that vault

Just goes to show how unlikely anything of substance is when you have three heads saying three different things. If Duff and Slash aren't even on the same page there's no hope. Again, this is 1995/96 again but they are getting on better and able to tour.

Of course they didn’t put out an album after releasing some singles. Guns’ greatest legacy is “what if”, and it continues to this day. 

If they put out a compilation album I hope there are a few more gems like Monsters. State of Grace and Atlas would have needed a lot of work from the village sessions to be up to par with anything from the Illusions 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lelex95 said:

I'd rank it in the top 5 CD era songs. The main solo before the bridge is pretty forgettable, but the outro is the most 'classic GNR' playing we've heard on these re-recordings. The vocals are great throughout, it sounds like a CD song yet doesn't really sound like anything else from that era... Monsters is strong enough to be a standout, album-closing track IMO. Even in it's bastardized NITL state.

But whether as a single or in the context of an album, nothing was going to save Absurd. Hardschool would still be a Shotgun Blues-tier simple rocker. Maybe The General would've been better received in the context of an album, but it still would've been underwhelming.

19 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

Of course they didn’t put out an album after releasing some singles. Guns’ greatest legacy is “what if”, and it continues to this day. 

If they put out a compilation album I hope there are a few more gems like Monsters. State of Grace and Atlas would have needed a lot of work from the village sessions to be up to par with anything from the Illusions 

I think it's all but guaranteed that Monsters is released, just surprised it's taken this long. I suppose if I was in a position of power I'd release Monsters with video at the same time as the next tour announcement... But the great what if😄

But yeah....🤣 This is old news

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'd rank it in the top 5 CD era songs. The main solo before the bridge is pretty forgettable, but the outro is the most 'classic GNR' playing we've heard on these re-recordings. The vocals are great throughout, it sounds like a CD song yet doesn't really sound like anything else from that era... Monsters is strong enough to be a standout, album-closing track IMO. Even in it's bastardized NITL state.

But whether as a single or in the context of an album, nothing was going to save Absurd. Hardschool would still be a Shotgun Blues-tier simple rocker. Maybe The General would've been better received in the context of an album, but it still would've been underwhelming.

I see a direct relationship between a song like monsters and Sorry. Slow brooding, bluesy influence. It's basically Stranglehold😄

For me Absurd has the most Classic Slash soloing followed by some of the breaks in Hardskool. But what I consider classic Slash is probably not the same as you or the next gnr fan.

1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

I see a direct relationship between a song like monsters and Sorry. Slow brooding, bluesy influence. It's basically Stranglehold😄

For me Absurd has the most Classic Slash soloing followed by some of the breaks in Hardskool. But what I consider classic Slash is probably not the same as you or the next gnr fan.

I agree, it's sort of a middle ground between Sorry and Better... both of which are also top 5 CD songs.

The studio version of Absurd is awful lol, but it's a fun live song that Slash has played some cool licks on.

9 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Just goes to show how unlikely anything of substance is when you have three heads saying three different things. 

But we don't have three heads saying three different things. Axl is not saying at all except some vague statement about wanting to release more music many years ago, but obviously the plan to just focus on CD era music is his plan, and this plan seems to be consistently communicated - though undercommunicated - by Slash and Duff (although they both would probably prefer to focus on writing new music).

4 hours ago, DTV88 said:

to be up to par with anything from the Illusions 

The Illusions are incredibly non-consistent both in terms of style and quality. Only blinded GN'R fans can be so in love with all the songs on those albums to think that songs like State of Grace and Atlas Shrugged couldn't easily be as good as the worst off these albums.

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

The Illusions are incredibly non-consistent both in terms of style and quality. Only blinded GN'R fans can be so in love with all the songs on those albums to think that songs like State of Grace and Atlas Shrugged couldn't easily be as good as the worst off these albums.

but is it really? is it not subjective? I think you're talking about musical taste. what you consider weak, and many others doesn't mean it's factual that it's worst than some tunes you and others, even many others consider much better. 

• Like 2