The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

8 minutes ago, Rovim said:

but is it really? is it not subjective? I think you're talking about musical taste. what you consider weak, and many others doesn't mean it's factual that it's worst than some tunes you and others, even many others consider much better. 

It's definitely subjective and entirely possible that someone likes every song off the Illusions, every one of them, every My World, every So Fine, every November Rain, every Shotgun Blues, every Get In The Ring, more than Atlas and State of Grace...but as I said, it takes a blinded GN'R fan. I didn't at all indicate that any song is better than another objectively.

19 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It's definitely subjective and entirely possible that someone likes every song off the Illusions, every one of them, every My World, every So Fine, every November Rain, every Shotgun Blues, every Get In The Ring, more than Atlas and State of Grace...but as I said, it takes a blinded GN'R fan. I didn't at all indicate that any song is better than another objectively.

honestly, I don't get it. why does it take a blinded Gn'R fan if it's subjective. isn't musical taste and if and how much you relate to a piece of music are dictated by many factors (personality, life experiences,etc)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

but is it really? is it not subjective? I think you're talking about musical taste. what you consider weak, and many others doesn't mean it's factual that it's worst than some tunes you and others, even many others consider much better. 

Yeah, dude keeps telling others everything’s subjective, but once he has a strong opinion on something, anyone thinking otherwise must be automatically this and that. 
Talk about consistency...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

Yeah, dude keeps telling others everything’s subjective, but once he has a strong opinion on something, anyone thinking otherwise must be automatically this and that. 
Talk about consistency...

like what, exactly? can you give an example or is this just another one you've made up.

5 minutes ago, Rovim said:

like what, exactly? can you give an example or is this just another one you've made up.

Huh? I've just literally commented on what he wrote above and you quoted. I don't make shit up. 

• Like 1

Huh? I've just literally commented on what he wrote above and you quoted. I don't make shit up. 

it's one post though....doesn't mean the rest of it is not consistent. I find his posts to be very consistent so I don't agreee with your previous post, just to clarify.

8 minutes ago, Rovim said:

it's one post though....doesn't mean the rest of it is not consistent. I find his posts to be very consistent so I don't agreee with your previous post, just to clarify.

Err, the statement that I commented ("you have to be blind" etc.) is inconsistent with what he normally says ("everything’s subjective and your opinion is as good as mine"). Meaning, once he has a strong opinion, it suddenly surpasses everyone else’s. That’s how it comes off. 
I myself wouldn’t patrol over this forum telling people "everyone’s opinion is equal" and then suddenly go and say "however, if you think this, you’re a fool". 
See the inconsistency? 

Nah, forget it. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, jamillos said:

Err, the statement that I commented ("you have to be blind" etc.) is inconsistent with what he normally says ("everything’s subjective and your opinion is as good as mine"). Meaning, once he has a strong opinion, it suddenly surpasses everyone else’s. That’s how it comes off. 
I myself wouldn’t patrol over this forum telling people "everyone’s opinion is equal" and then suddenly go and say "however, if you think this, you’re a fool". 
See the inconsistency? 

Nah, forget it. 

it can't All be consistent, we're not robots. It means that with this one post soul made, I disagree about the blind thing, but for the most part his posts, like I said are very consistent imho.

Just now, Rovim said:

it can't All be consistent, we're not robots. It means that with this one post soul made, I disagree about the blind thing, but for the most part his posts, like I said are very consistent imho.

I was talking about that one post. Pointing out the inconsistency. 
Come on, man, it's not that hard. 

• Confused 1

I was talking about that one post. Pointing out the inconsistency. 
Come on, man, it's not that hard. 

but it seems like you're trying to pass that one post as proof he's not a consistent poster in general, so even if this one wasn't consistent, doesn't mean he's not a consistent poster.

2 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Oh my god...
This serves me right, though. Lesson learned. 

what is so earth shattering in what I've said? an isolated thing someone said that is contradictory to their usual opinions doesn't mean inconsistent as posters in general. 

12 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I agree, it's sort of a middle ground between Sorry and Better... both of which are also top 5 CD songs.

The studio version of Absurd is awful lol, but it's a fun live song that Slash has played some cool licks on.

We can always agree on Absurd being awful😄

8 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

But we don't have three heads saying three different things. Axl is not saying at all except some vague statement about wanting to release more music many years ago, but obviously the plan to just focus on CD era music is his plan, and this plan seems to be consistently communicated - though undercommunicated - by Slash and Duff (although they both would probably prefer to focus on writing new music).

I meant more that the people who have power don't all share the same thoughts as to what they want to do.

I always said Slash wouldn't be satisfied as the guy coming in and putting his spin on already finished songs, he wants to be there from the beginning. He's also been very clear in his opinion of not recording as a band and recording instrument by instrument, he either inadvertently dissed the gnr songs or he was just giving a subtle dig. The guy has no interest in not being the or one of the main writers on a gnr record. Bit of a glory hunter maybe, but he is correct that his vision would be best for gnr.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I meant more that the people who have power don't all share the same thoughts as to what they want to do.

I always said Slash wouldn't be satisfied as the guy coming in and putting his spin on already finished songs, he wants to be there from the beginning. He's also been very clear in his opinion of not recording as a band and recording instrument by instrument, he either inadvertently dissed the gnr songs or he was just giving a subtle dig. The guy has no interest in not being the or one of the main writers on a gnr record. Bit of a glory hunter maybe, but he is correct that his vision would be best for gnr.

Glory hunter? He's fucking Slash. 

Axl should be grateful that him and Duff are willing to write new stuff with him. It's just a phone call away.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

The Illusions are incredibly non-consistent both in terms of style and quality. Only blinded GN'R fans can be so in love with all the songs on those albums to think that songs like State of Grace and Atlas Shrugged couldn't easily be as good as the worst off these albums.

Because it happened that you don’t like every song of the Illusions people have to be “blinded GNR fans” when they disagree with your taste. Please explain to us what objectivity means.

8 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

If you judge the way you do, you clearly indicate what’s good and what not. Maybe you are the blinded one.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rovim said:

Of course it isn’t really. He’s just biased and not capable of being objective 

7 hours ago, Rovim said:

He’s completely right. I agree 100% with jamillos

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Of course it isn’t really. He’s just biased and not capable of being objective 

He’s completely right. I agree 100% with jamillos

are you capable of being objective 100% of the time? getting it right all the time? being totally consistent? agree to disagree cause mostly I think he's very objective, even one of the more objective posters around here but whatever.

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

are you capable of being objective 100% of the time? getting it right all the time? being totally consistent? agree to disagree cause mostly I think he's very objective, even one of the more objective posters around here but whatever.

I thought so too, but I’ve learned my lessons as well. It’s all up there. Everyone can read it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I thought so too, but I’ve learned my lessons as well. It’s all up there. Everyone can read it.

everyone can read what? we all have holes in our understanding and perception. one guy says something and a few posters can't wait to jump at the chance to label him as not objective/consistent. 

I don't think this is actually the case as there are many other posts by soul, most really, that shows he is objective. 

37 minutes ago, Rovim said:

everyone can read what? we all have holes in our understanding and perception. one guy says something and a few posters can't wait to jump at the chance to label him as not objective/consistent. 

I don't think this is actually the case as there are many other posts by soul, most really, that shows he is objective. 

You’ve got your experience with that user and I’ve got mine. You build your opinion upon that and I’m fine with this. Unlike him, I accept other people’s opinion and, again unlike him, I don’t try frantically to force my opinion on anyone. You think he’s objective? Fine. I’ve learned that he’s not.

I already said enough on this topic and wouldn’t like to continue a conversation that bores everyone else.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

You’ve got your experience with that user and I’ve got mine. You build your opinion upon that and I’m fine with this. Unlike him, I accept other people’s opinion and, again unlike him, I don’t try frantically to force my opinion on anyone. You think he’s objective? Fine. I’ve learned that he’s not.

I already said enough on this topic and wouldn’t like to continue a conversation that bores everyone else.

me neither, like I said agree to disagree.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

The Illusions are incredibly non-consistent both in terms of style and quality. Only blinded GN'R fans can be so in love with all the songs on those albums to think that songs like State of Grace and Atlas Shrugged couldn't easily be as good as the worst off these albums.

Nah, the quality of anything from either Illusion (other than My World) is far superior IMO. Neither SoG or Atlas as I have heard them sound finished or properly produced. Once the inferior Finck solos are replaced and the lyrics to SoG are completed they may be as good. But until then they are unfinished demos. Again, IMO. 

Also, I don’t recall saying about the varying styles on the Illusions but that is one of the most intriguing parts of the albums. Physical Graffiti remains one of my favorite albums by Led Zeppelin and it was all over the place for the time. 

• Like 3