The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

4 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Glory hunter? He's fucking Slash. 

Axl should be grateful that him and Duff are willing to write new stuff with him. It's just a phone call away.

And? It's not always a good thing to love the smell of your own farts. 

And why would they not want to write with him? I'm not following you on this? But yes, I'm sure he's happy they want to collaborate 

16 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

And? It's not always a good thing to love the smell of your own farts. 

And why would they not want to write with him? I'm not following you on this? But yes, I'm sure he's happy they want to collaborate 

Cause he's a pain in the ass to work with, everything is taking forever and chances are very high nothing gets released at all? Come on! :D

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Cause he's a pain in the ass to work with, everything is taking forever and chances are very high nothing gets released at all? Come on! :D

I get all that and agree, I'm missing why he would see things this way though.

6 hours ago, El Guapo said:

It post is fit to Axl is lazy thread...:D

• Haha 1

On 8/16/2024 at 3:29 PM, 2020_Intensions said:

According to Slash, we have a max of 2 potential new ChiDem songs that will be released. Axl is obviously not going to release old ChiDem songs that haven't been reworked by Slash & Duff.

A lot can happen in the years to come. 

On 8/17/2024 at 3:15 AM, jacdaniel said:

I really hope we never get an album containing Absurd, Hardschool, Perhaps, The General, Monsters, Atlas etc

It would just be a sad final chapter for the band if this b side garbage was their last album. 

I feel Hardschool (the CD-era version), and Monsters (Soul Monster was probably even better) are not B sides. Absurd/Silkworms, The General, Atlas, I would agree as B side material. 2021 Hard Skool B side as well, I feel they took it down a notch or two with the NITL version.

@Rindmelon dropped this elsewhere from a few days ago:

Duff McKagan of Guns N' Roses: 'I was studying the gospels, and I got into martial arts' (irishexaminer.com)

While the band have remained a going concern on the live circuit, no studio album has emerged. Will we get one? "Who’s to say? We haven't been in the studio," McKagan says with a wry smile.

Possible punctuation error or straight up facts?!

9 minutes ago, Dean said:

@Rindmelon dropped this elsewhere from a few days ago:

Duff McKagan of Guns N' Roses: 'I was studying the gospels, and I got into martial arts' (irishexaminer.com)

Possible punctuation error or straight up facts?!

Who knows?. It could be '"Who’s to say? We haven't been in the studio,"  Or "Who’s to say we haven't been in the studio?"

If its a typo and the second one is right then the sentence makes sense but if they wrote it right then it doesn't

Edited by Rindmelon
  • Like 2
  • PERHAPS 1

6 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

Who knows?. It could be '"Who’s to say? We haven't been in the studio,"  Or "Who’s to say we haven't been in the studio?"

This is wishful thinking to the extreme. I think the article correctly quoted Duff. 

• Like 2
  • PERHAPS 1

9 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

We know they have been in the studio, as we have 4 officially released songs with Duff and Slash, and an additional leaked one. (I realize this doesn't mean they have all been in the studio together)

They were absolutely not in studio together. We know Slash & Duff reworked the ChiDem songs during covid lockdowns.

• Like 3

On 8/21/2024 at 4:03 PM, Tom2112 said:

I meant more that the people who have power don't all share the same thoughts as to what they want to do.

I always said Slash wouldn't be satisfied as the guy coming in and putting his spin on already finished songs, he wants to be there from the beginning. He's also been very clear in his opinion of not recording as a band and recording instrument by instrument, he either inadvertently dissed the gnr songs or he was just giving a subtle dig. The guy has no interest in not being the or one of the main writers on a gnr record. Bit of a glory hunter maybe, but he is correct that his vision would be best for gnr.

Oh yeah, absolutely. 

Duff and Slash probably don't take it too hard. New music was probably not in the cards when they started thinking about a reunion, it was all about the cash from touring. And if they don't want to add to Axl's songs and release them as GN'R, they can just say no. Probably they are hoping that at some point that phase will be over and Axl mighty consider contributing to new songs, and if that doesn't happen they have their other projects.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2024 at 9:23 AM, Rovim said:

honestly, I don't get it. why does it take a blinded Gn'R fan if it's subjective. isn't musical taste and if and how much you relate to a piece of music are dictated by many factors (personality, life experiences,etc)

Because the Illusions objectively are diverse in both genre and quality*, and hence anyone looking at the songs off the Illusions and the recent singles objectively, and compare and rank them, would most likely end up with the recent singles stuck somewhere in the list and not all at the bottom below every song off the Illusions. Only fans who are very emotionally attached to the Illusions ("blinded" by their fandom) and not able to be objective about this would end up ranking all the new songs at the bottom. I am sure that if you took, say, 1000 people who aren't diehard GN'R fans and presented them with all the songs on the Illusions and the four singles and asked them to rank them, they wouldn't rank the four singles at the bottom. That would only happen with "blinded" GN'R fans. 

* Can music objectively be ranked per quality? Well, either it can't and all music is objectively of the same value, or there is some denominator that can be used to rank music (say, by popularity, or by complexity, or by the fraction of tonality, or by effort spent making it, or by whatever) and I would argue that the diversity of Illusions means that regardless of the denominator used, those albums would have songs of objectively different quality.

On 8/21/2024 at 5:07 PM, Free Bird said:

Because it happened that you don’t like every song of the Illusions people have to be “blinded GNR fans” when they disagree with your taste. Please explain to us what objectivity means.

This has nothing to do with disagreeing with my personal preferences re: the songs on the Illusions. This has to do with the phenomena that some GN'R fans would rank all the new singles below every single song off the Illusions, something that suggests this has less with the inherent quality of the songs and more with taking a stance. It is actually a bit funny to think that a song like My World -- which has generally and since its release been despised by so many old school GN'R fans and ranked at the absolute bottom, both because of its break with the GN'R song but perhaps mostly because of what it represented (Axl taking control, forcing his will and the band in an unwanted direction) -- is now being considered better than a song like Perhaps, which by all means would fit better on the Illusions than My World and stylistically sounds like proper, old GN'R, by many of these old school fans.

As for subjectivity/objectivity, read my latest response to @Rovim. In short, I would argue fiercely that you can absolutely say that the Illusions have songs with varying quality, and that it "simply" follows from the overall diversity of it. 

On 8/21/2024 at 5:07 PM, Free Bird said:

If you judge the way you do, you clearly indicate what’s good and what not. Maybe you are the blinded one.

Hmm? I deliberately chose songs off the Illusions which I know tend to end up at the bottom of ranking lists... and November Rain which is a song I dislike but most enjoy. The point was obviously to show the absurdity of ranking all the new singles below, AND display the diversity of the Illusions - which was exactly the point I was making.

On 8/21/2024 at 8:10 PM, DTV88 said:

Nah, the quality of anything from either Illusion (other than My World) is far superior IMO. Neither SoG or Atlas as I have heard them sound finished or properly produced.

And that's a subjective opinion as a blinded GN'R fan. But if we were to have 10,000 non-fans listens to the songs off Illusions and the four new singles, in a random order, them wouldn't end up putting the four new singles at the bottom (I a sure). So why is that? What is it with some diehard GN'R fans that make them rank the songs this way? I would say it is less about the actual quality of the songs and more about emotional attachment, about adherence to a time and a place in their lives, about being against the "nu guns" era which spills over on good songs, etc etc. Again, only blinded GN'R fans would rank the songs these way. 

9 hours ago, Sweersa said:

We know they have been in the studio, as we have 4 officially released songs with Duff and Slash, and an additional leaked one. (I realize this doesn't mean they have all been in the studio together)

Yeah, and being there together was what Duff was talking about, I am sure. They don't need to be there together for Slash and Duff to contribute to already existing songs. But hey, they don't need to e there together to write and record new songs either. [Not that that is likely to happen, either.]

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Because the Illusions objectively are diverse in both genre and quality*, and hence anyone looking at the songs off the Illusions and the recent singles objectively, and compare and rank them, would most likely end up with the recent singles stuck somewhere in the list and not all at the bottom below every song off the Illusions. Only fans who are very emotionally attached to the Illusions ("blinded" by their fandom) and not able to be objective about this would end up ranking all the new songs at the bottom. I am sure that if you took, say, 1000 people who aren't diehard GN'R fans and presented them with all the songs on the Illusions and the four singles and asked them to rank them, they wouldn't rank the four singles at the bottom. That would only happen with "blinded" GN'R fans. 

* Can music objectively be ranked per quality? Well, either it can't and all music is objectively of the same value, or there is some denominator that can be used to rank music (say, by popularity, or by complexity, or by the fraction of tonality, or by effort spent making it, or by whatever) and I would argue that the diversity of Illusions means that regardless of the denominator used, those albums would have songs of objectively different quality.

I think that it depends on the listener so that's where the heart of the subjective nature of it comes from imho. if november rain makes me feel nothing and Bad Apples makes me feel good, then Bad Apples is a much better song, for me for example.

you can compare the differences, but you can't say which one is better cause there's no such thing with music as I see it.

Edited by Rovim

45 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Hmm? I deliberately chose songs off the Illusions which I know tend to end up at the bottom of ranking lists... and November Rain which is a song I dislike but most enjoy. The point was obviously to show the absurdity of ranking all the new singles below, AND display the diversity of the Illusions - which was exactly the point I was making.

No

57 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

No

48 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

This has nothing to do with disagreeing with my personal preferences re: the songs on the Illusions. This has to do with the phenomena that some GN'R fans would rank all the new singles below every single song off the Illusions, something that suggests this has less with the inherent quality of the songs and more with taking a stance. It is actually a bit funny to think that a song like My World -- which has generally and since its release been despised by so many old school GN'R fans and ranked at the absolute bottom, both because of its break with the GN'R song but perhaps mostly because of what it represented (Axl taking control, forcing his will and the band in an unwanted direction) -- is now being considered better than a song like Perhaps, which by all means would fit better on the Illusions than My World and stylistically sounds like proper, old GN'R, by many of these old school fans.

As for subjectivity/objectivity, read my latest response to @Rovim. In short, I would argue fiercely that you can absolutely say that the Illusions have songs with varying quality, and that it "simply" follows from the overall diversity of it. 

No

It’s simply up to taste and preferences. 
I think every Stones song is better than anything from Taylor Swift. Million of people would disagree but it’s my taste, not theirs, not yours. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

it's tricky, cause it depends on the listener so that's where the heart of the subjective nature of it comes from imho. if november rain makes me feel nothing and Bad Apples makes me feel good, then Bad Apples is a much better song, for me for example.

Absolutely. I think that by whatever logical criteria is used to attempt to tank the songs objectively you wouldn't end up with all the songs off the Illusions above all the four new singles. (Unless the criteria was that "the older a song was the higher quality it has," or that "any song featuring Matt Sorum is better than any other song.") I am not gonna be the arbiter of what is good and what isn't, or claim I am, it is just that it doesn't make sense that these new singles are worse than all other songs off Illusions, unless you happened to have some emotional connection to the Illusions or for whatever reason (and we know there are a few) are emotionally charged against the new singles.

On the other hand, I am a fool for trying to think fans of GN'R would be inclined to be objective about the music from their favorite band. Not only is there nothing objective about the fact that GN'R songs make me feel good, or that certain notes from Slash's Les Paul makes me shiver a bit, or that the emotional intensity of Axl's voice and lyrics elevates my own feelings, but GN'R is also a band that through its dramatic history has divided fans into partisan groups and where allegiance to their group might take precedence over the music. It is bloody hard to be impartial/neutral/objective about this band - it is divisive by nature. And it is bloody hard to look at the various songs except in the light of the particular period when the songs was written and released and who were playing on it and what feuds were going on at the time.