The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

It's just sad that Axl isn't able to get together with his badmates and do his best to create a new album.  He doesn't owe anyone anything and is free to do whatever he wants to with his life. I get it. But it's just sad.  All of the opportunity has been right there.  Slash and Duff would have been more than willing to put in the time and effort to make something great. Axl just hasn't wanted to, for one reason or another. That's my main feedback for a 'new album' thread.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

I definitely think we will be seeing some guns songs trickle out soon. We are nearing the end of the year. My main concern is Axl won’t be able to pull off the majority of the material when they tour. 

At times Perhaps sounded really good live! Surprisingly - I mean even the chorus which is the hard part he nailed a few times....

The General we didn't get much of feel for after only two performances at the end, so i'm sure it'll start in the set next swing around....

I think Atlas he could sing well enough....

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

I definitely think we will be seeing some guns songs trickle out soon. We are nearing the end of the year. My main concern is Axl won’t be able to pull off the majority of the material when they tour. 

At this point we shouldn’t really care - if the songs have killer vocals (recorded moons ago) then that will be in their legacy. No-one will care a jot in years to come ‘if he could do them justice live’.

In fact - they can release new stuff and never play them as far as I’m concerned! If they WERE killer vocals and they wanted to do it live then just be sensible when and where they are played (both on the tour and in the setlist) to give him the best chance to do a good job.

I suspect any future tours will be much smaller in numbers gigs-wise and I’m cool with that….at this stage get as much rest between gigs etc to really go out as strong as possible. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tyson said:

It's just sad that Axl isn't able to get together with his badmates and do his best to create a new album.  He doesn't owe anyone anything and is free to do whatever he wants to with his life. I get it. But it's just sad.  All of the opportunity has been right there.  Slash and Duff would have been more than willing to put in the time and effort to make something great. Axl just hasn't wanted to, for one reason or another. That's my main feedback for a 'new album' thread.  

I'm starting to think he can't.

Axl doesn't like hearing his own voice anymore. Just look at how much time his Michael Schenker contribution took... and then the result which is questionable. It's not horrible, but not great either. And super processed.

What if Axl thinks the same? What if he knows, but he just can't physically do it anymore, because his voice is screwed?

What would you do?

On stage he has backup singers and a lot of noise to camouflage what we all know. But when you're at a concert it doesn't matter much. The atmosphere and energy is great, people enjoy it, GNR makes money, everybody's happy.

But in the studio you can't hide.

Why risk killing your career when you can keep touring?

2 hours ago, Lethalis said:

Axl doesn't like hearing his own voice anymore. Just look at how much time his Michael Schenker contribution took... and then the result which is questionable. It's not horrible, but not great either. And super processed.

What if Axl thinks the same? What if he knows, but he just can't physically do it anymore, because his voice is screwed?

What would you do?

On stage he has backup singers and a lot of noise to camouflage what we all know. But when you're at a concert it doesn't matter much. The atmosphere and energy is great, people enjoy it, GNR makes money, everybody's happy.

It's usually the other way round...on stage live, you can't hide much....in the studio in 2024 you can just about make anything happen, still! 

7 hours ago, Its Tino said:

Not a naming a future album “Soon” would be a giants miss :lol:

They should troll us and call it "Much Too Soon"...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lethalis said:

What would you do?

He sounds a million times better on Love to Love than he has the past few years of touring. So, the reverse should be asked, why keep touring and sounding like Mickey when you sound much better in studio (processed or not) and can release tons of great music?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

It’s gonna be real funny when we’re revisiting this thread in 2027 after the “We’re F”N Back Again Again For Real” tour and Duff and Slash give the same exact interview answers regarding a new GNR album :rofl-lol:

"And now me, Axl, Duff, Matt and Gilby are writing some awesome tunes. We're eight songs into the next record already."

Slash, January 8, 1994

"I’ve been working on the Gunners record ever since I got home after The Spaghetti Incident? was finished. I’ve built a studio in my house that the band can use and so far we’ve done 14 songs."

Slash, January 29, 1994

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, DannyVinyard said:

He sounds a million times better on Love to Love than he has the past few years of touring. So, the reverse should be asked, why keep touring and sounding like Mickey when you sound much better in studio (processed or not) and can release tons of great music?

Bc we dont have 100 more years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisW said:

"And now me, Axl, Duff, Matt and Gilby are writing some awesome tunes. We're eight songs into the next record already."

Slash, January 8, 1994

"I’ve been working on the Gunners record ever since I got home after The Spaghetti Incident? was finished. I’ve built a studio in my house that the band can use and so far we’ve done 14 songs."

Slash, January 29, 1994

Wonder if they'll pick up any of those ever again or if they'll be released in whatever form one day....other than what became Snakepit.

27 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Wonder if they'll pick up any of those ever again or if they'll be released in whatever form one day....other than what became Snakepit.

Isn't that essentially what he's referring to? I would guess that there's some other stuff that didn't make the snakepit record though, but I'd be of the opinion that if Axl and Duff passed on it, and then Slash even passed on it for his own records it's probably not worth looking at... but who knows!? 20yrs later it might sound great to all of them!

Edited by Tom2112

33 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

6 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Isn't that essentially what he's referring to? I would guess that there's some other stuff that didn't make the snakepit record though, but I'd be of the opinion that if Axl and Duff passed on it, and then Slash even passed on it for his own records it's probably not worth looking at... but who knows!? 20yrs later it might sound great to all of them!

There was some stuff (probably just riffs and sketches) that was written in 1994 during some short lived sessions after Slash had recorded Snakepit, which Axl liked.

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

There was some stuff (probably just riffs and sketches) that was written in 1994 during some short lived sessions after Slash had recorded Snakepit, which Axl liked.

Yea....then there's the Izzy tracks that we heard about and stuff he wanted to get back off them for solo, right? 

All at Iron Mountain,.I presume....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Barlog said:

We're super lucky that at least Love To Love is out, even despite the questionable vocal performance.

I’ll bet Axl felt compelled to release one track. I bet he wasn’t over the moon about his vocals on Love to Love, because that’s just who he is.

Just wish he’d say ‘fuck it’ sometimes and put stuff out

• Like 1

9 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Most of the songs Slash speaks of here ended up on the first Snakepit record. But then Slash did some sessions with GN'R after this and they worked on some music that might see the light of day some day. Here's my summary of music that was worked on after 1994:

1994-1996, Axl, Dizzy, Paul, Matt, Duff and Slash
Duff would say they were working on "15 different things, some just riff, some bodies". Matt said the plan was to release an album with 10 or 12 songs. In September 1996, Duff would say they were "taking 40 songs and finding 12". Whether that was an exaggeration or if they were really working on music for 40 songs, is not known. The plan was still one album with 12 songs. It seems like they might have more or less finished 7 songs, but likely without vocals, before Slash left the band in 1996.

In 1995 Duff also asked Izzy to come to Los Angeles and write songs for GN'R. They demoed 10 songs but the fate of these is unknown. Some might have ended up on later Izzy albums, or Duff albums. In 1996, Izzy sent about 18 songs to Axl, and it is possible that among these 18 were songs from the 1995 session with Duff. What happened to these 18 songs, and whether Axl worked on any of them, is also unknown.

1996-April 1997, Axl, Dizzy, Paul, Matt and Duff
With Slash gone the band would continue working on the same material and a rumor would have it that Axl was specifically working on 7 songs. When Matt left in April he would claim they had "400 hours of jams, riff and songs recorded on ADAT."

April 1997-August 1997, Axl, Dizzy, Duff, Paul Robin
A new lineup was starting to materialize and with Slash gone, the music changed. Before he left, Matt said they had recorded "4,800 hours of music" with "15 really strong songs". The music was described as a mix of Soundgarden and Nine Inch Nails. Chris Vrenna and Billy Howerdel were involved and likely influenced the music. Still, Vrenna described the album as pretty old-school rock, similar to Appetite.  It seems like the band was now working on new songs and had abandoned songs from the Matt/Duff/Slash sessions. With the new players in the band, Axl was free to work on new music more aligned with his recent interests. Moby would say songs were finished and sounded like rock songs with sampling technology.

1998-1999, Axl, Dizzy, Paul, Robin, Tommy, Josh, Chris Pitman
In January 1998 the band moves into Rumbo Recorders to start record songs, but they would spend studio time still working on song ideas. With Tommy joining in April 1998 it seems like things started picking up speed. No vocals were recorded in the period Jan-Aug 1998. It seems like they started recording, and adding vocals in the second half of 1998. Still, vocals were not finished, and songs were not mixed. Sean Beavan, who got involved with the project in August 1998, would talk about Axl recording vocals, likely in 1998 or 1999. Beavan left in 1999 and would say he had done "35 songs". Robin left in August 1999. By then they had created "enough songs for several records". Robin would also say that "two fistfuls [of songs] are musically finished". When Josh left in March 2000, they had 16 songs on an A list and about 20 songs on a B list. This fits nicely with what Beavan said, making 36 songs in total. In 1999, Axl would say they had worked on about 70 songs and that they had two album's worth of songs solidly recorded. In November 1999, Axl would say he was 3/4 finished with recording vocals.

2000-2001, Axl, Dizzy, Paul, Tommy, Bucket, Brain, Chris
In February 2000, Roy Thomas Baker got involved and wanted to re-record everything. Brain also joined in 2000 and Axl wanted his drums on the songs. A new period of recording took place. In October, Bob Ezrin got to hear the material and give his input, and he referred to the songs as being "painted over too many times." Ezrin also recommended they move out of Rumbo and into Village, which they did. Axl would tell Ezrin he had finished recording the album, Ezrin told him he only had 2.5 songs.

The Village leaks contained songs that seem to have been mostly recorded at Village studio in late 2000/early 2001 and contained 36 songs on five "rough mixes" discs. These 36 songs likely mostly represent the songs that were A and B listed in in 1999, plus a few new songs from Bucket. In addition, the discs contained some additional songs that had probably more recently been brought into the band. The discs likely contained the songs the band was most interested in releasing. It is not known if the leaks represent all the band worked on at the time or if any of the songs stemmed from back then Duff and Slash was still in the band. But the number (36) is too close to what had already been talked about to not think these songs represented the A and B lists from 1999 plus additional, newer songs.

2002, Axl, Dizzy, Robin, Bucket, Brain, Richard, Chris
Zutaut, who was involved in the project from June 2001 to January 2002, would say they had 50-60 songs on four or five discs of 12-14 songs each, and that he convinced Axl to choose which songs to focus on. This does not align with the Village leaks which had about half of this. In early 2002, a label representative said he went to the studio and heard 41 songs that had been chosen from the 60-70 they had first written. 41 could be aligned with the Village leaks when you add in the more unfinished songs. In March 2002, Robin would state that the first album was finished. In August 2002, Axl stated that new songs had replaced some of the old songs intended for the album. Around the same time, Axl would also say they would get 18 songs plus 10 additional songs, and then the second album would be released and by then he expected him to have finished the third album. This suggests they were more or less finished with two albums at this time. Richard joined in 2002 and from August he would start recording his part to the songs. In November/December, Tommy and Dizzy would say only a few smaller pieces were missing on the first album and that it had to be mixed.

2003-April 2006, Axl, Dizzy, Robin, Brain, Richard, Chris
Axl would talk about how he was now-co-producing the album and Tommy would mention they intended to finalize the album in September. Bucket left in 2003. In early 2004 Geffen shut down operations. The band left Village Recorder. Throughout 2004, band members would say it was very close to be finished and that legal stuff prevented it from being released. In early 2005, Brain would describe it as being 95% finished. By June 2005, Richard would say that Axl was still recording vocals. Dizzy would say they three albums of material. In February 2006, Axl was "almost finished" according to Merck. Axl would say they were working on 32 songs and that 26 are nearly done. In hindsight we know that excluding the 13 songs that would end up on Chinese Democracy, the Village leaks of songs from 2000-2001 contained 27 additional songs in various stages of completion. Many of these had obviously been discarded.

May 2006-2008, Axl, Dizzy, Robin, Frank, Richard, Chris, Bumblefoot
With Bumblefoot and Frank joining the release would again be delayed as they recorded their contributions to the album. Marc Canter and Sebastian Bach got to hear the finished album, "with vocals and everything". Bach would also say Axl got "like 30-some songs", which fits with what Axl had said. In May, Axl would say they had recorded 2.5 album worth of songs, likely corresponding to the 26 songs he had talked about in February. He specified that two record were almost completely done (majority of music and vocals), with the third being about halfway done. In late 2006, Axl would say the album would not come out this year. In early 2007, Axl recorded the final vocals. Then mixing started. In November 2007, Bach would claim Axl had four albums worth of material. In early 2008, pre-release negotiations started. The album is released in November. Axl would then say he had worked on two album and that the unreleased songs were finished "depending on how you looked at it".

2009-Today
Dizzy and Tommy would confirm they had recorded three albums of material but that some lacked vocals. In 2011, Tommy would say there are 22 unreleased tracks. This fits pretty well with the 32 songs that Axl had mentioned. What is not clear is how many of these contain vocals and are ready to go, but based on Axl statement that 26 were nearly done in Feb 2006, it is likely that the second album was more or less complete with vocals. It is not known if Axl has continued working on the rest of the 32 songs, and possibly finished up more of them. Slash and Duff added their contributions to some songs after 2016, possibly songs intended for the follow-up. In 2017, Tommy mentioned that in addition to the songs they had worked on for CD and the follow-up, there was material that had been written when Slash and Duff was in the band, possibly from the work in 1994-1996.

• Like 2

Slash said those songs were done.  That's a lot different from just having some random riff that he, Axl, Duff, Matt and Gilby have been working on.

If Slash can lie about Guns'n'Roses having any finished work, so can everyone else associated with Axl's band.  A lot of people have said stuff like that in the last 30 years.  Or that's what they've been told to say in public.

Edited by ChrisW
I dunno...
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Sp1at says slash will be recording a new SMKC album now, and then GnR hits the studio after that, but in the meantime, there’s more CD leftovers and a GnR tour planned for 2025.

Cool, thanks for sharing! So, probably (most certainly) Monsters, and Atlas Shrugged for CD leftovers. If they record actual new songs, my hope is they toss additional unreleased, finished songs onto the new album don’t don’t include any of the previously released singles unless they get a mix and master to fit the eventual new album. 

• Like 1