The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

22 hours ago, Zeppelin said:

"Hey Slash! It's Myles! I know Axl never wants to work with you to try to create some memorable GNR tunes, so why don't you come over? I have 10-11 generic rock songs for us to shove out again."

we would all take new music over how lazy GnR have become.  Seems to be the trend on this board, slam any normal band that actually acts like a band while pretending we are happy with 20 year old songs pieced together on a computer

Edited by fabrph5
  • Like 4

The Cure just did it right. Announced a new record on relatively short notice (release is November 1st) with Robert Smith saying it was probably a mistake talking about this new record as early as 2019, leaving the fans speculating since then.

This can only mean one thing:

Chinese Democracy 2 starts now!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JimiRose said:

AL and WOF were great albums with SMKC. it's not unusual for bands to release a couple of great albums and then everything become mediocre afterwards. There was maybe 1/2 good songs on living the dream and 4 was just very going through the motions. If we're lucky they might strike gold on 1 or 2 songs again but I highly doubt it now. I'd rather he did it and 1 song out of 12 was great than just took the axl approach of doing nothing for 30 of the past 31 years. 

https://blabbermouth.net/news/slash-featuring-myles-kennedy-the-conspirators-to-record-fifth-album-in-november 

Tentative release date in 2025. (not an axl tentative release date which is just hot air blown against the wind)

It's less about the albums being utterly forgettable after WOF, and more that we know given a bit more effort SMKC can actually write a good record. But you are correct that's it's not unusual for bands to slip into cruise control. Slash should just want to make great albums again though, and not just some piss poor vehicle to tour on. Same goes for Axl, the singles he has chosen are well below the bar they should be hitting. Subjective? Of course, what isn't subjective is the majority of listeners not engaging with the music beyond first/second listens. And that can be blamed on modern listening habits, but that's a cop out.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jamillos said:

Slash is great, but SMKC bore me, and I can't stand Myles. Bedsides, haven't they already released like 8 albums since the GNR reunion? 

The meh is strong with this one. 

SMKC hasn’t been interesting since like 2015 for me

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fabrph5 said:

we would all take new music over how lazy GnR have become.  Seems to be the trend on this board, slam any normal band that actually acts like a band while pretending we are happy with 20 year old songs pieced together on a computer

I don’t like the new GNR tracks either, honestly. It’s about quality over quantity for me. Just because a band releases something normally doesn’t mean I have to like it.

8 hours ago, JimiRose said:

AL and WOF were great albums with SMKC. it's not unusual for bands to release a couple of great albums and then everything become mediocre afterwards. There was maybe 1/2 good songs on living the dream and 4 was just very going through the motions. If we're lucky they might strike gold on 1 or 2 songs again but I highly doubt it now. I'd rather he did it and 1 song out of 12 was great than just took the axl approach of doing nothing for 30 of the past 31 years. 

See, I’d rather neither at this point. For me, I’d rather see Slash go off and do his own thing like he did for his covers album. Grab a competent producer/engineer (good job choosing Clink), which both SMKC and GNR seem to be allergic to these days, and do your own thing. Then, if even half the album is good and the other is a bunch of clunkers, at least I would admire the spirit of doing your own thing outside of these lame band parameters.

Slash Solo Band has so much talent but the results of the last 2 records have been underwelming.

They really need a producer to push them to write better songs before goin into the studio, 

I really like Myles in Alter Bridge but with Slash he seems on autopilot. Boring melodies and his

vocals don`t really shine like with Alter Bridge. The last "4" record the cover artwork says it all 

uninspired and boring. 3-4 good songs the rest forgettable. I hope they can surpise me with the next

release but I dont expect that much.

8 hours ago, fabrph5 said:

Perhaps alone is better than anything on LTD or 4. I think it really shows how badly Slash and Axl need each other as a counterweight. Axl to get Slash to be more critical of his own ideas, and Slash to get Axl to release it this century.

• ABSUЯD 1

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

The rest is gravy for me.

We got,

AfD

UYI I

UYI II

Contraband

Chinese Democracy

and a large handful of other pretty good stuff out of these guys. They’re in their 60s. Whatever happens, happens.

Don’t forget Lies, TSI (underrated), The two Snakepits, the first two SMKCs, slash 2010, orgy of the damned… heck, even live era is underrated imo.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Don’t forget Lies, TSI (underrated), The two Snakepits, the first two SMKCs, slash 2010, orgy of the damned… heck, even live era is underrated imo.

....And talking of Live Era, there's nothing (you'd think) stopping them doing a sequel to it...

Well, except Axl! That's literally minimum effort on his part, he's done the work....well actually scratch that, he'd want to overdub to the nines!! 

Do we actually think the live versions of "You're Crazy" and "Don't Cry" on the EP's (2021/22) were dubbed? Sounded significantly better and it wasn't just mixing! 

Though if they stick to mostly 2016/17 for the staples and then cherry pick the best newer additions and one off great moments of TWAT etc....

I'm sure we'd all lap up a new Live Era with cool packaging and maybe even a combo Blu Ray / Stream pass the *Around The World With GNR" film. All that BTS stuff they filmed last couple of years, surely make a decent tour doc too...

I'd imagine Disney or Netflix have at least asked the question....

Disney in particular have a lot of music films, like Elton's last date....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rovim said:

I believe we'll probably get a live dvd of the NITL tour later than sooner, but we'll get it imo

There's no return on going to that length to release a Dvd, plus Dvd is kinda on its arse.

Who knows I wouldn't expect them to release anything in the near future though. Think plans have shifted snd now they are aware that fan/critic expectation is a new LP. A live album doesn't move the needle, and they kind let the cat out of the bag already with the YouTube selects, which kinda did more damage than good.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

The rest is gravy for me.

We got,

AfD

UYI I

UYI II

Contraband

Chinese Democracy

and a large handful of other pretty good stuff out of these guys. They’re in their 60s. Whatever happens, happens.

I’d replace CD with JuJu Hounds for this list, but I agree 💯 with your sentiments. Those are classic albums that will be remembered for a long time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

it's only docking

Held up in customs. (Axl)

6 minutes ago, gavgnr said:

We never seem to hear about people with unheard tracks anymore. Is there nothing else out there, or is it more likely the case that those with tracks aren’t the kind to frequent GnR forums?

Most are dead or no longer interested, that's my guess. There's still stuff out there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, gavgnr said:

We never seem to hear about people with unheard tracks anymore. Is there nothing else out there, or is it more likely the case that those with tracks aren’t the kind to frequent GnR forums?

That side of talk happens outside of forums these days. Nobody is going to stick there head over the trench and publicly admit to having anything when they know it's a place that's watched. They have examples they can point too of what happens to people who do/have done that & those are not people you see around on forums anymore for the large part.

There's probably alternative mixes and earlier versions of things we already know about out there but I doubt completely new unheard of song titles are.

41 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

If not new music, I’d love more stuff like the UYI Super Deluxe. Those concerts sound superb. Ritz 88, Wembley 91, Paris 92, etc

That's probably the only thing that is going to happen over the next few years (and why not sooner, while we're at it) anyway.

• Like 1