The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

2 hours ago, DTV88 said:

I hear you, I want good new music too! To answer your question @JimiRose, I would say it’s because the “new” songs they’ve released have been let downs for various reasons. Lazy lyrics, keeping 2 seconds of a former members solo on the record, shoddy production or mixing, etc. As long as Axl has the final say, why would we expect anything different moving forward? The only really good song we’ve heard is Monsters and they haven’t even released that one.

But you have heard Monsters and if you really like it, it makes little sense to me to prefer alternative live versions of old songs we already have over other new songs on similar quality like Monsters. Still, what the original poster said was that he would prefer old live songs to new songs, which I guess means he must somehow have some magical ability to know what the nre songs would sound like to give out such a blanket statement.

6 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

really don't understand people that think this band is capable of writing new music. Like a broken record, but I'll keep saying it, Axl hasn't released an actual new song since 2008, which were already 10 year old songs by that point. Axl can't sing good anymore. I don't want to hear his lazy and flat singing. 

He sang well on Love to Love; it was neither flat or lazy, and it was really brand new vocals. And Slash and Duff are definitely still able to write new music.

That being said, I don't think we will ever get to hear entirely new GN'R music, I am more than content with the CD era songs, especially those I haven't heard before. If future singles keep up the quality of The General, Hard Skool, Perhaps and Monsters, then I have a lot to look forward to :)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

But you have heard Monsters and if you really like it, it makes little sense to me to prefer alternative live versions of old songs we already have over other new songs on similar quality like Monsters. Still, what the original poster said was that he would prefer old live songs to new songs, which I guess means he must somehow have some magical ability to know what the nre songs would sound like to give out such a blanket statement.

Even Monsters isn’t as good as most of the Illusions imo. Much of CD was weak as well. In fact, none of the AFD5 have had any major hits outside of Guns other than the supergroup VR. They came around at the right time, ruled the world for a few years and then faded away into legend. As much fun as the concerts have been, 2016 to present has been a brand on tour. I’ll take more live shows from 86–93 over new music every day and twice on Sundays. 

• GNFNR 1

3 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

Even Monsters isn’t as good as most of the Illusions imo. 

That's certainly an opinion. Still, I would much rather add an "okay" new song to the band's discography than get to hear yet another live version of songs I have heard over and over. Still, not saying you are wrong at all, these are just what we prefer :)

1 minute ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Huh?

How do you know that you will not like any future songs more than any of the old songs?

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

He sang well on Love to Love; it was neither flat or lazy, and it was really brand new vocals. And Slash and Duff are definitely still able to write new music.

That being said, I don't think we will ever get to hear entirely new GN'R music, I am more than content with the CD era songs, especially those I haven't heard before. If future singles keep up the quality of The General, Hard Skool, Perhaps and Monsters, then I have a lot to look forward to :)

Let me be clear, when I say the band isn't capable of writing new music, what I really mean is Axl is not capable or willing to write new [GnR] music. 

Also, there is nothing "quality" about those singles, but I'm not beating that dead horse ...

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

How do you know that you will not like any future songs more than any of the old songs?

I never said that ..?

4 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Let me be clear, when I say the band isn't capable of writing new music, what I really mean is Axl is not capable or willing to write new [GnR] music. 

Also, there is nothing "quality" about those singles, but I'm not beating that dead horse ...

I never said that ..?

Oh, maybe I misread you. You said, "I'll take official live releases of UYI era over any new music going forward until the band is retired .. " Okay, let me rephrase, how do you know you will enjoy official live releases of UYI era [songs] over any new songs that might come? How can you look into the future and know you will enjoy new songs less than old live versions of UYI songs?

1 minute ago, 2020_Intensions said:

You're still just guessing. For all we know, Axl has written and recorded several songs after the Chinese Democracy era. In 2014 Axl said they have "written a few new things" so there's something, at least from then. Who knows what he's worked on since, if anything. It could be an album worth of material, it could be one song. It could be no songs. Tommy said Axl recorded vocals every year he was in the band, unless Axl lost that drive with the NITL era, he probably still works on stuff. 

6 minutes ago, DannyVinyard said:

It's better than: Right Next Door to Hell, Dust N' Bones, Perfect Crime, You Ain't the First, Bad Obsession, Back Off Bitch, The Garden, Garden of Eden, Bad Apples, Dead Horse, 14 Years, Yesterdays, Get in the Ring, Shotgun Blues, So Fine, and My World. 

Beat me to it! The double album that should have been one, but I'd still take two anyway! 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

You're still just guessing. For all we know, Axl has written and recorded several songs after the Chinese Democracy era. In 2014 Axl said they have "written a few new things" so there's something, at least from then. Who knows what he's worked on since, if anything. It could be an album worth of material, it could be one song. It could be no songs. Tommy said Axl recorded vocals every year he was in the band, unless Axl lost that drive with the NITL era, he probably still works on stuff. 

Beat me to it! The double album that should have been one, but I'd still take two anyway! 

You're very optimistic. I'm not. I don't think Axl has written or recorded anything since 2008. And before you autists correct me, I'm talking about GnR music. Not covers. Not Looney Tunes.

14 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

If it were one album with all the songs I didn't list here, I'd argue that it's the greatest album of all time. Still a ton of great songs on two albums and they both nearly maxed out the time limit on CDs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DannyVinyard said:

If it were one album with all the songs I didn't list here, I'd argue that it's the greatest album of all time. Still a ton of great songs on two albums and they both nearly maxed out the time limit on CDs. 

No doubt! Right up there with AFD, and Chinese Democracy :D (I wish they did the same with CD in 2008 or so, just get it all out, then that would more or less force the current lineup to write actual new material!)

Just now, DannyVinyard said:

It's better than the filler UYI songs I listed, for sure. Monsters is freaking awesome.

Just imagine how much better it was before it was reworked or touched by the current lineup. (Soul Monster) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Sweersa said:

No doubt! Right up there with AFD, and Chinese Democracy :D (I wish they did the same with CD in 2008 or so, just get it all out, then that would more or less force the current lineup to write actual new material!)

Back in the day, I thought an epic triple album release for Chinese Democracy was on the table. Who knows how things could have played out if Axl didn't no-show Phili 2002, which de-railed everything for NuGNR.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DannyVinyard said:

Back in the day, I thought an epic triple album release for Chinese Democracy was on the table. Who knows how things could have played out if Axl didn't no-show Phili 2002, which de-railed everything for NuGNR.

No kidding, it was a time of missed opportunities. I suppose we were fortunate to get one album. My preferred scenario would have been two albums with Buckhead and Robin Finck, which probably exists somewhere... 

• Haha 1

On 10/8/2024 at 8:49 PM, ll_tj1 said:

How is anyone interested in songs from decades ago we've all already heard? Monsters, Atlas, SOG.

I get Slash & Duff doing their thing to fix'em up, but really, who cares.

The vocals will be the same. With some different guitar & bass sounds. Always liked Atlas, but that into has to go. Monsters i liked as is. SOG is just filler imo. I was on this GNR merengue round hoping for new shit for 30 years. It's not happening

Well state of grace would not be thr same vocal, that was a rough sketch and not finished. 

Why would people be interested? Why not? It doesn't really float my boat but if bubchanxe they make one of these songs into a great song I'm going to be very happy. Hasn't happened yet, but it's possible

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I'll take official live releases of UYI era over any new music going forward until the band is retired .. Throw in some early ChiDem live releases too .. There's enough recorded material there to last us a life time

I wouldnt.

I am sick of hearing the same tired songs to be honest.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

The sad state of the GnR fandom. Soon they'll say Monsters is better than the entire catalogue! 

What are you so bitter about? Like it, don't like it... why is it so important for you to shit on everyone else that likes it?

• Like 3