The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

18 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I like Monsters. But I think it's ridiculous how many people are heralding it as the greatest thing GnR has ever done. It's not. Not even close. 

I agree with you, it's just like the other songs average. But to some people it's great, we can't all have such sophisticated palettes😄

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

After hearing Love to Love I don’t really care about a new album, at least assuming Axl is going to do the overprocessed falsetto on every song. If they just continue to release CD leftovers I think that would be better, and at least that ensures we get 1-2 new songs a tour.

That's how he chose to edit that vocal, no suggestion that's what he would want to do on another completely different piece of music. His vocal on the rock the rock for example was not treated this way (lots of overdubs like UYI and CD), powerful and up front and he had to ok that mix.

Just don't understand these extremes. One minute it's "no more Chinese leftovers, new music only" next it's "No new music, we just want chinese leftovers with 20yr old vocals"... it's truly laughable.

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Monsters is great IMO, I'm not gonna say it's one of their best songs but how can it even be compared to stuff like Dust N' Bones, Right Next Door To Hell, The Garden, etc?

It sounds nothing like classic GNR, it doesn't really even sound that close to most of the CD stuff. For what it is, it's great, and I can see why that sort of darker, Ozzy-ish style appeals to people. Hardschool and Perhaps are way more comparable to the 'filler' UYI tracks (though @DannyVinyard's list has some great songs in it, I'd say Dust N' Bones is definitely a top-10 GNR song)

It’s funny you compare Mosnters to Ozzy, cause I’m pretty sure that’s how Axl described it way back in the 2008 forum chats.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

It’s funny you compare Mosnters to Ozzy, cause I’m pretty sure that’s how Axl described it way back in the 2008 forum chats.

Yea, he said the song was their 'most Black Sabbath moment' or something like that. It's not like they're mimicking Sabbath but I can definitely see what he meant... especially since he was likely talking about the same version we heard in the cell phone clip.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Dust n Bones, 14 Years, Yesterdays, The Garden, Back Of Bitch and Right Next Door To Hell (both two of the greatest rockers on UYI I), Perfect Crime (people would shit their pants if it was being played live properly). I don’t even know what else he listed but calling that bad songs is hilarious 😆 

He didn't call them bad songs :lol: Your reading skills are hilarious. 

• Like 2

Sorry for upsetting people with my comments on some of the UYI songs. The Garden is actually a really good song that I have listened to many, many times. Another song I listed, Bad Obsession, would have been much better without the twangy instruments. The '91 Ritz version is excellent, without the twang. A lot of the songs, especially on UYI II, are some of the best songs of all time. I love Civil War, KOHD, Breakdown, Pretty Tied Up, Locomotive, and Estranged. 

For me, when The General and Monsters first leaked, I was listening to them on repeat for weeks. I think they both are great listening to, back to back. It was reminiscent of the Better and There Was a Time leaks, which I couldn't listen to enough.

• Like 3

On 10/9/2024 at 6:13 PM, evilfacelessturtle said:

The State of Grace vocals sound like that guy on Youtube who mocks Axl's voice. Pray to god that never sees the light of day as an official release.

They sound more like placeholder vocals demonstrating the concept of ideas for the song rather than the song proper - like I still hear a lot of Axl's words being gibberish/vague syllables that sound like words more than I do actual words in many cases. 

If that is the case, to me that explains why there is some pitch wavering and unpolished vibes in the vocal take. That said I really hope there is a more finished version in the vault, it was by far one of my favorites from the leak

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

On 10/10/2024 at 10:57 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

It's possible, but it's more likely that he kept the vocals and just digitally edited and added effects. Aside from little touch-ups or the odd lyric change, the early CD-era vocals were the final ones.

Absolutely spot on - I strongly believe if we ever see SoG, it will be the same vocal track (barring touch ups as you have suggested) and I’m willing to place a wager on it :lol:

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

The General has a solo, it's just layered with background vocals. And Prostitute definitely has two solos.

For The General, is it the guitars towards the end? For Prostitute, they are short, by traditional I meant they don't have solos in the sense of the solos that are front and center like Scraped, This I Love, November Rain, etc. I suppose Prostitute has that, but they are short. 

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

For The General, is it the guitars towards the end? For Prostitute, they are short, by traditional I meant they don't have solos in the sense of the solos that are front and center like Scraped, This I Love, November Rain, etc. I suppose Prostitute has that, but they are short. 

Yeah, that's what I meant. I think the length doesn't matter much, but as Prostitute has two solos, one could argue that those combined would count as one main solo.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DannyVinyard said:

Sorry for upsetting people with my comments on some of the UYI songs. The Garden is actually a really good song that I have listened to many, many times. Another song I listed, Bad Obsession, would have been much better without the twangy instruments. The '91 Ritz version is excellent, without the twang. A lot of the songs, especially on UYI II, are some of the best songs of all time. I love Civil War, KOHD, Breakdown, Pretty Tied Up, Locomotive, and Estranged. 

For me, when The General and Monsters first leaked, I was listening to them on repeat for weeks. I think they both are great listening to, back to back. It was reminiscent of the Better and There Was a Time leaks, which I couldn't listen to enough.

Apology accepted.

Just bugging. But seriously, next time you make a list like that, you don't need to include My World. That's just assumed to be in the bin by default.