The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

My World is a curiosity and hasn't aged well. Still, I would rather listen to that song than Bad Obsession, Back Off Bitch, Bad Apples, Shotgun Blues or So Fine. I'd take The General over these and a few more. Same goes for Monsters, Hard Skool and Perhaps. I'd even rather listen to Absurd than some of the worst songs off UYIs - at least Absurd sounds less dated and is trying to be interesting.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 2

24 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

My World is a curiosity and hasn't aged well. Still, I would rather listen to that song than Bad Obsession, Back Off Bitch, Bad Apples, Shotgun Blues or So Fine. I'd take The General over these and a few more. Same goes for Monsters, Hard Skool and Perhaps. I'd even rather listen to Absurd than some of the worst songs off UYIs - at least Absurd sounds less dated and is trying to be interesting.

Shotgun Blues starts out bad then builds up into something you think might be ok but it's more bad. :D

I got a new appreciation for CD (the song) and Absurd after hearing the NITL versions live. I think those songs dialed down are better, which suits the current lineup well. And I gotta say, Slash's parts (and Richard's too?) on Absurd are great, and fitting for the song. Dare I say, even better than the Buckethead/Bumblefoot version :o (Though there's probably a kickass pre-Bumble Bucket mix out there somewhere) 

I recently gave my dad a copy of UYI2, and he likes it, except he said the last song is awful. :P 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

He didn't call them bad songs :lol: Your reading skills are hilarious. 

He called them fillers and my grasp of filler is a bad song. I don’t know if your keen perception allows you to follow this highly complex interpretation of meaning but I’m amused by your comments and emojis. :laugh:

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Sweersa said:

The lyrics, or delivery? If the former, no different than some of the stuff from AFD or CD.

Delivery. The verses are almost entirely flat of the key it's in, and he does those lazy, IDGAF sounding trail-offs.

But the lyrics are pretty bad, too.

"The choice that you made
Is not a road that I would take"

I'm not sure what you'd compare that to on AFD except the filler tracks Think About You & Anything Goes. But this is supposed to be an epic single?

1 hour ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Delivery. The verses are almost entirely flat of the key it's in, and he does those lazy, IDGAF sounding trail-offs.

But the lyrics are pretty bad, too.

"The choice that you made
Is not a road that I would take"

I'm not sure what you'd compare that to on AFD except the filler tracks Think About You & Anything Goes. But this is supposed to be an epic single?

I thought you were referring to the lyrics, so the AFD comparison is out the window now.

The delivery you mention from State Of Grace are indeed poor, and most certainly placeholder scratch vocals. The one exception may be towards the end of the song where Axl is wailing, that sounds TWAT good.

In the mean time even Myles Kennedy managed to release a song I like. I think most of his work is way too generic lately and it all sounds the same.

But I like Eternal Lullaby:

This one caught me off guard. It's actually good. And I like it more than The General, or Perhaps.

GNR really needs a banger of a song, because even Myles is ahead of them right now as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 3

On 10/11/2024 at 5:31 AM, AxlRoseCDII said:

After hearing Love to Love I don’t really care about a new album, at least assuming Axl is going to do the overprocessed falsetto on every song. If they just continue to release CD leftovers I think that would be better, and at least that ensures we get 1-2 new songs a tour.

Yeah, i'm definitely not keen on Axl's approach for Love to Love either. It really took the wind out of the sails for me (not that there was much left there anyway, lol). Axl really needs to use his natural baritone more and save his power vocals for the rasp. Axl's current falsetto delivery, along with the over-production, just doesn't work for me. A new album going in that direction would be a huge letdown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Yeah, i'm definitely not keen on Axl's approach for Love to Love either. It really took the wind out of the sails for me (not that there was much left there anyway, lol). Axl really needs to use his natural baritone more and save his power vocals for the rasp. Axl's current falsetto delivery, along with the over-production, just doesn't work for me. A new album going in that direction would be a huge letdown.

While I enjoyed Love to Love, and am cool with a whole album that sounds like that, I wouldn’t mind a whole album of baritone either.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2024 at 6:59 PM, SoulMonster said:

I absolutely love bad apples, what is wrong with it? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I have never given a shit if something sounds "dated" or not, and have always found those who do perplexing. Music is either good or bad, it being reminiscent of a specific period in music history means fuck all to me.

Sensibilities change and some music fare worse than others and just sound bad due to the decisions made back then. Appetite, though older, has weathered much better than Use Your Illusions. And if the songs themselves are poor, as I think of Bad Apples, it gets doubly worse. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I have never given a shit if something sounds "dated" or not, and have always found those who do perplexing. Music is either good or bad, it being reminiscent of a specific period in music history means fuck all to me.

This dude is fucking moron. He says Bad Apples sounds dated but hails Absurd ??? He makes no sense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

This dude is fucking moron. He says Bad Apples sounds dated but hails Absurd ??? He makes no sense.

I don't think you should try to make sense of subjective preferences. I wouldn't say "hailed" Absurd, I just said I would rather listen to that song than many others. Why does my opinions on music provoke you? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't think you should try to make sense of subjective preferences. I wouldn't say "hailed" Absurd, I just said I would rather listen to that song than many others. Why does my opinions on music provoke you? 

You said before that Absurd sounds modern. But Bat Apples is dated. That makes no sense.

• Like 1