Slash claims ‘Guns N’ Roses’ would’ve been ‘canceled’ today: ‘Glad we didn’t have the internet back then’

I don't know if the internet can be blamed entirely.   If anything, there might be lessons to be gained from how Guns N" Roses handled the print press and the endless articles about the band - in today's internet environment.

I wasn't that old back then.  Based on rants / Get In the Ring - GNR were tabloid fodder, right?  They managed the relationship as well as can be.  Thirty years removed, does anyone really remember the grocery store trash magazines?

• Like 1

Oh absolutely. They couldn’t even come up with the same lyrics nowadays, let alone the same behaviour. Not if they wanted to be all over the media and have the same impact like they had in their prime. Then again, they probably wouldn’t give a shit. And we probably wouldn’t know they existed. 
It’s almost funny how it’s all shifted, isn’t it. I mean, the problems are the same (even worse), let’s not fool ourselves. But the public perception is now different, and there’s a huge game of pretence. But the attempt to control people behind it all, I think, is more and more visible each day. 
There are some nice things about it too, sure. People should be equal etc., by all means. The trouble is, we’re not there yet. We’re in the first stage, where nice ideas are taken, twisted and turned upside down, and used for nefarious means. Same with the green politics and other stuff. Deception, scam, one after another. 

Look, it’s 7 am here, and I’m only slowly working on my second coffee, ok? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jamillos said:

Oh absolutely. They couldn’t even come up with the same lyrics nowadays, let alone the same behaviour. Not if they wanted to be all over the media and have the same impact like they had in their prime. Then again, they probably wouldn’t give a shit. And we probably wouldn’t know they existed. 
It’s almost funny how it’s all shifted, isn’t it. I mean, the problems are the same (even worse), let’s not fool ourselves. But the public perception is now different, and there’s a huge game of pretence. But the attempt to control people behind it all, I think, is more and more visible each day. 
There are some nice things about it too, sure. People should be equal etc., by all means. The trouble is, we’re not there yet. We’re in the first stage, where nice ideas are taken, twisted and turned upside down, and used for nefarious means. Same with the green politics and other stuff. Deception, scam, one after another. 

Look, it’s 7 am here, and I’m only slowly working on my second coffee, ok? 

I don't know about the lyrics.  Have you seen the lyrics in current hip hop songs?  Other than OIAM, I don't think any of GNR's lyrics were any worse.

1 hour ago, Gnrcane said:

I don't know about the lyrics.  Have you seen the lyrics in current hip hop songs?  Other than OIAM, I don't think any of GNR's lyrics were any worse.

can't do now what they did then. Axl Rose is not a rapper. He had his faults and it reflected in his music like in OIAM.  Great tune. One of my favorites.

I'm not endorsing Kid Rock here, but I think with his song, Don't Tell Me How to Live, he kind of proved what most of us have known all along: you can't cancel people. If Guns N Roses wanted to release One In A Million today, they could. Maybe their record label would drop them, but they could just record their own music in their own studio and release it themselves. No one can stop anyone from saying or doing anything within the law. Cancel culture has always been a sham. It's nothing but a slew of mentally disturbed people with fucked up childhoods and all sorts of mood/chemical disorders and complexes using the guise of social progress to be dicks to those whom they feel have it better than they do. It's about revenge and resentment and nothing else, and the first massive company, or movie studio, or television station that calls them out on it by not doing their bidding is going to be the first domino to the woke's downfall.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, hollywood_democracy said:

Look up what censorship is. Canceling someone isn't censoring them. It's more like blacklisting them. They are still free to speak uncensored all they want. 

You’re right, but they’re close to each other, these two things. You get blacklisted, and while you still can say what you want, your voice will get to 10% of the audience you used to have. And all that just because some brainwashed bastard thought you shouldn’t be saying certain things since they are a no-no these days. Fuck that, censorship, and PC. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Fuck PC + Censorship!

Police and hooray for tolerance!s, that's right 
Get outta my way
Don't need to buy none of your 
Gold chains today
Now don't need no bracelets 
Clamped in front of my back
Just need my ticket 'till then
Won't you cut me some slack

Immigrants and fagots