Confirmation from Simpsons writer that Duff Beer is not based on Duff McKagan

13 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

It is? Even if it's true? That doesn't make sense. Is he supposed to lie to protect Duff's feelings?

Okay, but even one person in the room knew him, that doesn't mean they named it after him or that the guy who came up with it was the one in the room who knew who Duff was.

It doesn't mean they used his gimmick, but it does point out that in that time people were aware of who was in one of the biggest bands in the world, they had televisions and read magazines and might have thought "oh that's a good idea".

Proof? No, big coincidence? Hell yeah

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ratam said:

Maybe the Simpson. writer has afraid about pay royalties to Duff too 

but Duff basically said he's not going to do anything about it like sue him for copyrights or whatever so it's pureb butthurt. this is the second time Duff said he's not looking to gain anything from it financially speaking. I think it's more about an ego thing maybe unless butthurt guy doesn't know that Duff doesn't seek to be compensated for the Duff beer name in the Simpsons.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

but Duff basically said he's not going to do anything about it like sue him for copyrights or whatever so it's pureb butthurt. this is the second time Duff said he's not looking to gain anything from it financially speaking. I think it's more about an ego thing maybe unless butthurt guy doesn't know that Duff doesn't seek to be compensated for the Duff beer name in the Simpsons.

I knew is not Duff intention, but maybe Simpson writer not has confidence. He seem obssesive to contradict to Duff. And Duff behave like an gentleman.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2024 at 5:11 AM, Lio said:

It's the Simpsons. It's not people making a documentary on national geographic. They made a cartoon full of cultural references for exactly the same audience. I find it very hard to believe they didn't know the guy, even if they didn't name the beer after Duff.

Can you name the bass player for The Black Keys without looking it up?

6 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Can you name the bass player for The Black Keys without looking it up?

No, but I'm a middle aged woman. Surely you can see the difference. GNR was everywhere in those days and we didn't have as much distraction as there is nowadays. Put on MTV? GNR. Buy a magazine? GNR. And we didn't have the internet offering a gazillion other artists from all over the world for us to explore.

But it's okay, you have your opinion of what's more believable, I have mine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lio said:

No, but I'm a middle aged woman. Surely you can see the difference. GNR was everywhere in those days and we didn't have as much distraction as there is nowadays. Put on MTV? GNR. Buy a magazine? GNR. And we didn't have the internet offering a gazillion other artists from all over the world for us to explore.

Speaking of GNR being in a magazine, Slash is featured in RIP magazine in the Paradise City music video! 😀🤭

17 hours ago, Lio said:

But you like rock and roll, which is what the Black Keys play. How about the bass player for U2? Huge band when you were younger.

Duff wasn't on the cover of those magazines, though. The music videos on MTV don't have his name floating above his head. Just because you've seen a video or magazine cover doesn't mean you know (and commit to memory) the names of every band member. I saw the Black Eyed Peas on MTV a lot back in the early 2000s and I couldn't for the life of me tell you who was in that band besides Fergie.

Edited by evilfacelessturtle

6 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

But you like rock and roll, which is what the Black Keys play. How about the bass player for U2? Huge band when you were younger.

Easy! Adam Clayton :P

I had quite a few Duff only posters from magazines up in my teenage bedroom. GNR also had the LIES T-shirts with each individual member that must have been late 80s. I know a friend had the Steven Adler shirt. Back in the day I could name everyone in those hugely popular bands back then. They were the ones in newspapers and the news then, almost comparable to Taylor Swift now. It's not comparable to Black Keys imo. I know my teenage daughter wouldn't know any of that. 

Plus it's the Simpsons, I can't get past that point. It's not Tom &Jerry, who have no cultural references. I simply don't believe that not one of the people involved in The Simpsons knew or even recognized the 'name' Duff, even if it's not named after him. It must have rung a bell at the very least to someone.

• Like 2

About Duff, a LOT of Fans consider Duff to be one of the weakest Original Guns N'Roses Members along with Steven. They consider Izzy between Axl, Slash, and Duff/Steven. So Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff/Steven or vice versa between Duff and Steven. Even in the current lineup, a lot of Fans say they consider Duff WAY less important than Axl and Slash. Fans have said stuff like,"I wanted Izzy 1000 times back more in the current lineup than I wanted Duff."

15 hours ago, Lio said:

I had quite a few Duff only posters from magazines up in my teenage bedroom. GNR also had the LIES T-shirts with each individual member that must have been late 80s. I know a friend had the Steven Adler shirt. Back in the day I could name everyone in those hugely popular bands back then. They were the ones in newspapers and the news then, almost comparable to Taylor Swift now. It's not comparable to Black Keys imo. I know my teenage daughter wouldn't know any of that. 

Plus it's the Simpsons, I can't get past that point. It's not Tom &Jerry, who have no cultural references. I simply don't believe that not one of the people involved in The Simpsons knew or even recognized the 'name' Duff, even if it's not named after him. It must have rung a bell at the very least to someone.

The point is supposed to be that it's a band you aren't a fan of, though. Could you name Taylor Swift's bass player? She's as big as it gets, but that means nothing if you don't care about her music. And doing a show with cultural references doesn't make you a cultural savant. I'm sure you could find plenty examples of their cultural references getting details wrong because it's not about doing research, it's about making jokes.

On 6/26/2024 at 3:02 AM, Lio said:

About Tom And Jerry, they are classics that are STILL being enjoyed to this day and were first released 84 years ago and came into prominence around 63 years ago. Time will tell if Taylor Swift will still be remembered 84/63 years later. 💡🤔

Edited by Karice