Axl recording session in London - UPD.: M. Schenker's UFO tribute album (ft. Axl and Slash) to be released on Sept. 20th

I'm not familiar with UFO. Are the two songs that are not making the record with Axl good? I would assume so if they were considered for the project, plus Axl makes just about everything better, except My World and Silkworms. :P 

12 hours ago, betterman said:

Read an interview with Schenker and he kinda blamed Axl for taking so long time and he had to postpone the album a bit. Axl promised to deliver but the first month went and heard nothing back, then another month but when he finally delivered Schenker was superhappy with the result 

No offense to all the other guests but the selling point of this record is Axl's appearance so even if he delayed it 6 months it would still be worth it for the extra ears he brings.

As for people ragging him for not wanting to include all his vocal takes, this is not unusual. Nothing like hearing something with fresh ears to know that you want to never hear something again and must re-record immediately😄 looking forward to the track! Hopefully it gets a great reaction and gives old Axl a nudge to do some similar work for his own band 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Sweden Rock magazine, right?

Auto-translation of GN'R related parts:

How did you divide your and Slash's solo parts in "Mother Mary"?

- I had brought my guitars to the studio, because I thought we would jam on the spot. When we opened the files it turned out that I had already put a great solo into the song and Slash thought it was perfect as it was. He just wanted to add some stuff where he felt there was room.

Among the singers are Axl Rose, Dee Snider, Joe Lynn Turner, Stephen Pearcy, Joey Tempest and Biff Byford. How did you decide which singers would sing which songs?

- I let them decide for themselves. I told my co-producer Michael Voss (who also sings on the album and has worked with Michael since 2011's "Temple of rock") that I wanted it as close to the versions on "Strangers in the night" as possible, but of course the singers got free hands to add their personalities.

Which singer was the most difficult to involve?

- Axl Rose had agreed to do it, but then followed... How can I say it, he wasn't happy with his effort at first, so he asked for more time. He wanted to make it as good as possible. He had chosen "Love to love", which is an important and difficult song to sing. There was first a month's delay, then another. Axl wanted to be able to stand behind his effort on "Love to love" 100 percent. When he was finally satisfied with what he had done, I got to hear it and it sounded absolutely amazing.

Did you contact any singers who couldn't be there for one reason or another?

- I actually don't think so. Michael Voss has a good connection with all these artists, especially when he uses my name. With the help of my lawyer, we managed to get hold of everyone I wanted to include. My record company also has many contacts. That's how we got hold of Deep Purple's Roger Glover, who laid the foundation for "Only you can rock me" (and also produced "The Michael Schenker Group" in 1980). I have previously worked with the producer Mike Clink, who arranged for Slash to be on "Mother Mary". There were many people involved to make this possible.

[...]

Are you planning to tour with these UFO songs?

- The idea is to put together an all-star band. I aim to hire, among other things, Derek Sherinian on keyboards and Brian Tichy on drums and then find a singer from among those who participated in making a whole UFO show. Or someone can sing most of the songs, like Erik Grönwall, and then Axl Rose comes up and does a few songs. Or Joey Tempest sings a whole show. Joey does a fantastic job on "Only you can rock me" and according to Michael Voss he is interested in being part of the whole gigs. There are many different ways to do this. First, I will present this idea to Japan, they are still very interested in this kind of music. They always do their best to present everything in a good way and find good venues. After that, we can spread it further in the rest of the world.

He really walked directly into that journalists trap answering that question. The answer he wanted was that Axl Rose is difficult. I don't think it was in a malicious way though, just think Michael is very matter of fact when he speaks. Other rockstars oil the truth a bit more. I wonder if this will effect Michael's ability to involve Axl in live shows like he hoped, maybe Axl wouldn't be mad at this accurate accounting of events? :axl:  I'm looking forward to the next time gnr play double talkin' jive😄

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Which singer was the most difficult to involve?

- Axl Rose had agreed to do it, but then followed... How can I say it

🌽 incoming

:lol:

Edited by gavgnr
  • ABSUЯD 2

9 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Outside of the GNR fan base Axl isn’t really the big draw. I know a lot of people who didn’t like classic Guns because of his voice and they think he sounds ridiculous now. And you can’t even blame them for that. For the general public Axl disappeared a long time ago. I don’t think any UFO fan will buy the record just because of him. For us it’s a big event. For others not so much.

I disagree, Axl is the biggest name by a country mile. Because he's on the record, Schenker will be getting interview requests and exposure that he wouldn't have without Axl.

Obviously it's true that Axl's voice is not for everyone, but it's also true that millions upon millions love his voice and gnr, so while UFO fans might gasp there's plenty of others that will only hear about this album because Axl is on it. I'm not suggesting that this record is going to sell 10 million copies, I'm just saying it will have those extra eyes on it 

Slash also brings attention but he's in so many compilations that it's not really news. Who else on that record creates headlines like Axl? Incredible singers/players etc but none of them have Axl Rose star power or media interest. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I disagree, Axl is the biggest name by a country mile. Because he's on the record, Schenker will be getting interview requests and exposure that he wouldn't have without Axl.

Obviously it's true that Axl's voice is not for everyone, but it's also true that millions upon millions love his voice and gnr, so while UFO fans might gasp there's plenty of others that will only hear about this album because Axl is on it. I'm not suggesting that this record is going to sell 10 million copies, I'm just saying it will have those extra eyes on it 

Slash also brings attention but he's in so many compilations that it's not really news. Who else on that record creates headlines like Axl? Incredible singers/players etc but none of them have Axl Rose star power or media interest. 

It’s all debatable. I think Schenker won over the GNR fanbase. Everybody else interested in this record will be surprised, probably positively surprised by reading the name Axl Rose. But I don’t believe that Axl will be the game changer for most UFO fans. 30 years ago maybe but not now.
At the end of the day it’s hard to speculate about the subjunctive mood. Let’s wait and see what kind of impact Axl‘s gonna have.

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Well, maybe in the GNR world, but I don’t really think any UFO or Schenker fans would buy the record because of Axl. Let's not forget that Michael fans are mostly guitar nerds. The UFO fans still will think that no one comes close to Phil Mogg and his "Strangers in the Night" performance! In my opinion the living legends Roger Glover and Michael Schenker himself are the biggest names on the record and it’s not even close. To be honest, I don't think that this record has been made to sell 100.000 copies. The real reason is to tour those old UFO songs again and maybe invite a few “well-known” rock names as guests.  

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Only You Can Rock Me has been released (I wonder how "worse" than this Axl's version could be)

If Axl in studio sounded like his former self like Joey does, I’d be the happiest guy in the world.

I dont care about this particular song but Joey sounds great

20 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

If Axl in studio sounded like his former self like Joey does, I’d be the happiest guy in the world.

I dont care about this particular song but Joey sounds great

I think the vocals on this are very generic and boring (but I never liked Europe or Joey Tempest anyway).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Free Bird said:

It’s all debatable. I think Schenker won over the GNR fanbase. Everybody else interested in this record will be surprised, probably positively surprised by reading the name Axl Rose. But I don’t believe that Axl will be the game changer for most UFO fans. 30 years ago maybe but not now.
At the end of the day it’s hard to speculate about the subjunctive mood. Let’s wait and see what kind of impact Axl‘s gonna have.

I don't think it's debatable that Axl (now or 30 years ago) brings media attention though

We could debate how successful the album would be, but I think we'd both pretty much agree that it's going to just come out and people will forget about it the next day good or bad. But I'd be willing to guess that Axl's track will be the most streamed 

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't think it's debatable that Axl (now or 30 years ago) brings media attention though

We could debate how successful the album would be, but I think we'd both pretty much agree that it's going to just come out and people will forget about it the next day good or bad. But I'd be willing to guess that Axl's track will be the most streamed 

Surely he will bring media attention gor one reason or the other, especially because he rarely rereleases something on his own and even more rarely he attends on other people releases, so that alone is something special. Still I don’t believe that the whole world is going nuts because of him. Not anymore. I‘d like ro be wrong though. Streaming numbers are going to be interesting 👍🏼

19 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I think the vocals on this are very generic and boring (but I never liked Europe or Joey Tempest anyway).

i just liked Europe in " The Final Countdown".

• Like 1

I just got an email from Amazon regarding my order of this CD and they said (basically) they apologize but the release date has changed. They didn’t say when, but said they will inform me when they know the new delivery date. I’m guessing it’s past the original delivery date and not earlier. 

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1