Axl recording session in London - UPD.: M. Schenker's UFO tribute album (ft. Axl and Slash) to be released on Sept. 20th

15 hours ago, JAxlMorrison said:

You’re so atrociously wrong. He sounds like Axl, he delivers words like Axl. It’s absolutely in line with his entire career. 

It's absolutely in line with current Axl. Holding on to dear life to keep Mickey at bay. It sounds thin to me. "Love to love, love to, love you." :facepalm: Nah.

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, adamsapple said:

All those studio experts...sure they must know more than professional musicians who have done that shit for roundabout 50 years. You know better. They know nothing.

Are you even able to open up to an actual SONG anymore or do you just analyze everything technically before ever giving it an actual chance to reach you and see the bigger picture and context?

If you start complaining about the vocal production, listen to the entire arrangement. What else should he have done, given what he was being provided with in the first place here? You do understand he did not write this song himself, do you? And you do understand with how much respect he generally approaches covers, always has, do you? If he went all bells and whistles on this one, how could any producer fit it in that particular mix and not mess up the entire song? He went the pro route and still managed to put soul and emotion in there. He did alright, more than alright actually.

I understand you all want him to scream and shout with rasp and all, but this is not what this particular song and production required. If he sang like this in AC/DC you would have tons of points alright complaining, but his performance on Love To Love only shows his class, versatility and sensitivity as a singer.

I repeat myself here, but yeah, I actually do like it. It's a thousand times better than the crap vocals he did for Monsters or some bad nights on stage. If he sings like that on his own songs for a new GNR album I have no complaints as long as it suits the actual song. And in case of Love To Love, it does.

I agree mostly, but crap vocals for Monsters? Imo the bridge in Monsters contains the best Axl I’ve heard post 2000. That was freaking awesome and with the TWAT screams the absolute CD era highlight, vocal wise. 

BTW: I feel the need to listen to Love To Love again. That’s a good sign.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Dean said:

The majority of Chinese is a clean voice and there's elements of it throughout the Guns catalogue, we've just not heard that voice age over the last 20 years

No it isn't. His clean voice is what most people bluntly call 'mickey mouse'. If we'd ever heard that on a recording, nobody would complain about his live performances

16 hours ago, Blackstar said:

2024_282.jpg

Based on Melissa's post, it looks like the mix was done by Chris Dugan (who works with Green Day and has many credentials).

So Melissa only PRODUCED the vocal track. She didn’t mix nor “tinkered for months” on it, like someone here said. Meaning that she directed Axl on his approach to sing, and how he recorded. No mixing, no post-production. Also, she mentioned the orchestral part too.

It really is astonishing how little of music production is known, but yet, people make bold claims to justify their opinion. 

23 hours ago, Blackstar said:

“Axl is a perfectionist,” Schenker says in the new issue of Classic Rock. “He puts everything under the microscope. He was not happy with his performance on Too Hot To Handle and Only You Can Rock Me, but he did such a great version of Love To Love.

“He would go back into the studio and do something else: ‘It’s not right yet, it’s not right yet!’ We waited and waited, and eventually, he got it. It’s a really good song for Axl to sing."

https://www.loudersound.com/news/michaerl-schenker-axl-rose-love-to-love

So even when we have a trusted source saying that Axl wanted to re-record new takes to make it better, people still think he got out of tune in a very easy song and felt the need to use autotune all over it? :lol:

Edited by Voodoochild

9 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

No it isn't. His clean voice is what most people bluntly call 'mickey mouse'. If we'd ever heard that on a recording, nobody would complain about his live performances

It is indeed. He had more in his Arsenal recording in his clean voice at 37 than what he obviously does at 62 - same as anyone, age takes its toll. You’ve just not heard that voice age in studio recordings which is why it’s come as a shock to some hearing his current studio chops. 

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I agree mostly, but crap vocals for Monsters? Imo the bridge in Monsters contains the best Axl I’ve heard post 2000. That was freaking awesome and with the TWAT screams the absolute CD era highlight, vocal wise. 

BTW: I feel the need to listen to Love To Love again. That’s a good sign.

You're right, Monsters wasn't too shabby, I will admit I actually mixed up Monsters with The General there when I said the vocals were crap, only shows how forgettable these songs were to me personally lol. Axl's vocals on Love To Love just keep growing on me, nothing to write home about at the end of the day, but a really nice tribute and far from the mess some people make it out to be.

54 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

No, his clean voice is what we see in TWAT, full on chest and no falsetto. Then, since he lost his range and can't do it like in the 2000s, he resorts to mickey (falsetto) do reach those notes. Eventually, when it gets in his range once again, he does a full chest voice. Like when it happens in 2:00 mark at the forementioned song live, he does a big spike in volume in his voice, since he's able to do chest voice again. In studio though, he was able to nail it.