Axl recording session in London - UPD.: M. Schenker's UFO tribute album (ft. Axl and Slash) to be released on Sept. 20th

1 minute ago, Sweersa said:

If Axl records three songs for you, you use them all! Maybe he will milk the other two releases in a special edition of exclusive. I’m sure Axl delivered. 

That's my guess too. Either he saves them for a 'Deluxe Edition' or 'Part 2' album.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Rindmelon said:

update https://blabbermouth.net/news/michael-schenker-on-his-collaboration-with-axl-rose-for-my-years-with-ufo-album-he-is-a-perfectionist-i-have-noticed

"Yeah, when Michael Voss, my co-producer, and I, we started putting down my guitars, and as we did that, we had no idea what we were gonna do… nothing had been discussed. And so as we were putting down the music, we thought, 'Oh, what about this?' 'What about that?' What about who?' Everybody had some ideas. And so, actually, everybody who participated on this album was added to the whole idea from different sources and different times. So, basically, with Axl and Slash  Slash, I was always interested in doing something with him, but I guess when Michael [Voss] first approached him that we're doing the best of UFO and read him the songtitles, he was for it. And when we met in the Frankfurt recording studio, we were both going jam there to 'Mother Mary'. And I had my technician there and my amplifier, and Slash brought his guys and his amplifier, and actually Slash ended up playing with my amplifier. And we were supposed to do a jam, but then I realized, 'Hey, Michael [Voss], I already put all my guitars down. Why we are wasting time doing additional stuff. I already like what I did.' So I was more into focusing on Slash and getting great takes and add them to what I already had done. And Slash liked that idea. And then also, when he came in, he said, 'Michael, I just told Axl that I was going to do this, and that I'm on my way to do this. And he said, 'I wanna sing a song too.' And I said to Slash, 'That would be fantastic. Ask Axl which song he would like to do.' And so actually Axl ended up singing 'Too Hot To Handle', 'Only You Can Rock Me' and 'Love To Love'. But I think they also were on tour at the time, and so Axl was not actually happy with his performance on 'Only You Can Rock Me' and 'Too Hot To Handle'. And I guess it was too many songs, because they were in the middle of a tour, and he preferred to just focus on 'Love To Love'. And he is a perfectionist, I have noticed, and so we waited until he was ready, and then finally he went, 'Okay, 'love to love'. I approve. You can release it. And that was it."

Thanks for reading the article and posting why Axl opted to only release one of the sings that recorded. Otherwise, those who didn't read it would go on forever.  

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Yes. If he isn't happy with his work on the other two tracks it wouldn't be cool to get them out there. That's the right thing to do, imo.

It's not bad news though, shows that Axl still has high standards and IS critical of himself when it comes to recording. On the other hand, that could make a new Guns record even more unlikely. :/

I would still like it if they leaked, though. :) 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rindmelon said:

update https://blabbermouth.net/news/michael-schenker-on-his-collaboration-with-axl-rose-for-my-years-with-ufo-album-he-is-a-perfectionist-i-have-noticed

"Yeah, when Michael Voss, my co-producer, and I, we started putting down my guitars, and as we did that, we had no idea what we were gonna do… nothing had been discussed. And so as we were putting down the music, we thought, 'Oh, what about this?' 'What about that?' What about who?' Everybody had some ideas. And so, actually, everybody who participated on this album was added to the whole idea from different sources and different times. So, basically, with Axl and Slash  Slash, I was always interested in doing something with him, but I guess when Michael [Voss] first approached him that we're doing the best of UFO and read him the songtitles, he was for it. And when we met in the Frankfurt recording studio, we were both going jam there to 'Mother Mary'. And I had my technician there and my amplifier, and Slash brought his guys and his amplifier, and actually Slash ended up playing with my amplifier. And we were supposed to do a jam, but then I realized, 'Hey, Michael [Voss], I already put all my guitars down. Why we are wasting time doing additional stuff. I already like what I did.' So I was more into focusing on Slash and getting great takes and add them to what I already had done. And Slash liked that idea. And then also, when he came in, he said, 'Michael, I just told Axl that I was going to do this, and that I'm on my way to do this. And he said, 'I wanna sing a song too.' And I said to Slash, 'That would be fantastic. Ask Axl which song he would like to do.' And so actually Axl ended up singing 'Too Hot To Handle', 'Only You Can Rock Me' and 'Love To Love'. But I think they also were on tour at the time, and so Axl was not actually happy with his performance on 'Only You Can Rock Me' and 'Too Hot To Handle'. And I guess it was too many songs, because they were in the middle of a tour, and he preferred to just focus on 'Love To Love'. And he is a perfectionist, I have noticed, and so we waited until he was ready, and then finally he went, 'Okay, 'love to love'. I approve. You can release it. And that was it."

Thanks for posting this! Unless Axl rerecords or touches up the vocal tracks for those other two songs, I doubt they would be released officially. 

I'm not familiar enough with the artist/studio/etc. to understand the likelihood of them leaking, but of course would welcome that. (Who wouldn't, aside from the official parties lol) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

Are those other two songs any good? I don't know anything about this band, but I liked Love to Love.

They're catchy 70s hard rock songs, kind of like Bad Company etc. Especially Only You Can Rock Me is one of their most popular ones. Reading about it took me back decades ago when I had it on one of the mixtapes I had made from recording songs from the radio - I'm sure I'm not the only one who used to do that back then :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

In the end, Europe frontman Joey Tempest sang on Only You Can Rock Me, and Too Hot To Handle was fronted by former Rainbow man Joe Lynn Turner. Perhaps Rose's versions of the tracks will emerge in 2064, when the inevitable 40th anniversary deluxe edition is issued. 

https://www.loudersound.com/news/michael-schenker-axl-rose-ufo-three-songs

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

They're catchy 70s hard rock songs, kind of like Bad Company etc. Especially Only You Can Rock Me is one of their most popular ones. Reading about it took me back decades ago when I had it on one of the mixtapes I had made from recording songs from the radio - I'm sure I'm not the only one who used to do that back then :lol:

I didn't get too much rock songs on radio where I lived. My radio mixtapes back then were more like Depeche Mode, INXS and Information Society -_-

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I didn't get too much rock songs on radio where I lived. My radio mixtapes back then were more like Depeche Mode, INXS and Information Society -_-

We had a radio show (the first one of its kind in my country - started airing in the 70s and it's still on, I think) that followed contemporary pop/rock and, from time, to time, did tributes/retrospectives to music from past decades and various genres (e.g. 70s rock, soul etc.). The host is considered to be one of the biggest record collectors in the world. I owe a lot of my basic musical "education" to it.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, El Guapo said:

It's not bad news though, shows that Axl still has high standards and IS critical of himself when it comes to recording

This is the whole reason why GnR’s release catalogue is so limited

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

Oh I'm not sure that's fair man, I mean does this look like the cover of a 'dad rock' album?

cGc

.............Hmmmm Ok maybe you may have a bit of a point.

dads have a need to rock too

• Haha 4