Axl recording session in London - UPD.: M. Schenker's UFO tribute album (ft. Axl and Slash) to be released on Sept. 20th

27 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Yeah I don't know what Slash sees in UFO. All I've heard are really basic, uninteresting riffs and the singer doesn't have anything unique to his voice.

I saw them live years ago and they were great TBF, there one of those bands where I couldn't tell you many song names, but if you see Schenker play live you don't forget it. It was quite something

2 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Yeah I don't know what Slash sees in UFO. All I've heard are really basic, uninteresting riffs and the singer doesn't have anything unique to his voice.

Incredibly influential band. It's easy to look at them now and say X and Y do this kind of music and it's better, but UFO were innovators of the sound. Bands like Maiden through to Metallica, Pantera and so many others have copped a lot of them.

While I appreciate it's an opinion, I couldn't disagree more with the analysis of the riffs and vocals. As far as Slash goes, listen to Schenker play lead guitar and you'll understand why Slash loves him, he's one of the most interesting rock players out there, very underrated. Listen to the lead breaks on a song like lights out and to me it sounds obvious where some of the AFD solo vocabulary was built from.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Incredibly influential band. It's easy to look at them now and say X and Y do this kind of music and it's better, but UFO were innovators of the sound. Bands like Maiden through to Metallica, Pantera and so many others have copped a lot of them.

While I appreciate it's an opinion, I couldn't disagree more with the analysis of the riffs and vocals. As far as Slash goes, listen to Schenker play lead guitar and you'll understand why Slash loves him, he's one of the most interesting rock players out there, very underrated. Listen to the lead breaks on a song like lights out and to me it sounds obvious where some of the AFD solo vocabulary was built from.

Slash mentioned Schenker as an influence and I agree, you can hear it in his playing. It's the melodic lead guitar style both are known for.

23 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Just listened to LIghts Out and... yeah, just confirmed my feelings. Soloing is very repetitive (he does the same 3rd-root, 2nd-root pull-off in almost every phrase) and the rhythm behind it just repeats the same riffs, it doesn't really go anywhere. What makes bands like GNR so great is that they write distinct rhythms for the solo section that build and release tension; see WTTJ. There's nothing "wrong" with UFO per se, they're all fine musicians, but none of it seems to have any inspiration.

• Like 1

Listen to the live album "Strangers in the Night" and then see if your opinions of UFO change. Schenker has some amazing solos, showcasing why he is indeed one of the best out there and a huge inspiration to many famous guitarists who followed him, including Slash. One of the top live albums up there with Thin Lizzy's Live & Dangerous and Aerosmith's Live! Bootleg for me.

Agree with the above statement too; watching Michael Schenker live is an unforgettable experience.

10 hours ago, siraddam said:

So, Axl did 3 songs in one day? Or at least over a short space of time. It means he can still work well in the studio. He could probably put together a new Guns record in a month then if he went all out. 

He was only quick on someone else's schedule, honestly. He still hasn't even updated his own website.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2024 at 9:44 PM, 2020_Intensions said:

Sorry this is off topic ... But what's the news on Children of the Revolution? 

Fernando is still tinkering with it in Audacity after the backlash from the percussion clipping in The General. 

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, siraddam said:

So, Axl did 3 songs in one day? Or at least over a short space of time. It means he can still work well in the studio. He could probably put together a new Guns record in a month then if he went all out. 

Are you new here? :lol:

Just kidding, would be amazing if he did. He just needs to find that illusive muse 

14 hours ago, siraddam said:

It doesn't say he can work well in the studio. He declined the other two songs because he wasn't happy with his performance in between shows.

If anything it just proves his voice is fucked.

• Sad 2

I believe "Love to Love" will be the first recorded new Axl vocals released for an entire song since "Rock the Rock."  Was it ever confirmed that parts of the Chinese era songs had post reunion vocals?  Such as the new "Hey Haayys" that appear in Perhaps?   or "Absurd!" in Silkworms?   Hardskool?   The General?

13 minutes ago, Macho Vidal said:

Was it ever confirmed that parts of the Chinese era songs had post reunion vocals?  Such as the new "Hey Haayys" that appear in Perhaps?   or "Absurd!" in Silkworms?   Hardskool?   The General?

I don't think so. If I had to guess, I'd say most, if not all of the vocal touchups were during the CD-era. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Macho Vidal said:

I believe "Love to Love" will be the first recorded new Axl vocals released for an entire song since "Rock the Rock."  Was it ever confirmed that parts of the Chinese era songs had post reunion vocals?  Such as the new "Hey Haayys" that appear in Perhaps?   or "Absurd!" in Silkworms?   Hardskool?   The General?

I think Monsters is a new song (based on something old) both in terms of vocals and in terms of material. Most likely it was written with a lot of Slash from the leftovers of songs by Velvet Revolver and Conspirators. But this is my opinion, which I base only on what I hear in the song. In the end, Gnr has done this before (for example, with the song Anything Goes)

• ABSUЯD 1

1 hour ago, Macho Vidal said:

I was intrigued by the background vox on Hardskool for the chorus that is missing in the village leak (it may be buried in there though) - that could've been done post Slash and Duff back in the fold. 

1 hour ago, lunastar said:

I think Monsters is a new song (based on something old) both in terms of vocals and in terms of material. Most likely it was written with a lot of Slash from the leftovers of songs by Velvet Revolver and Conspirators. But this is my opinion, which I base only on what I hear in the song. In the end, Gnr has done this before (for example, with the song Anything Goes)

No, Monsters was played on the loudspeakers at a party in Austria or Italy or something back in 2010. Everyone there thought it was The General, but we later found out it was Monsters, which is likely also Soul Monster/ Leave Me Alone (and not Me & My Elvis, like we thought before).

50 minutes ago, Dean said:

I was intrigued by the background vox on Hardskool for the chorus that is missing in the village leak (it may be buried in there though) - that could've been done post Slash and Duff back in the fold. 

Axl himself confirmed to a fan who met him that the chorus backing vocals on the studio version of HardSkool are Duff.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, lunastar said:

Axl talked about recording the bridge vocals in the early 2000s IIRC.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Macho Vidal said:

Absurd - identical to the 2006 demo with Bumblefoot

Hardschool - has vocals from Eye On You pasted over the solo

Perhaps - the alt vocals were likely done during the 2006-07 touch-up sessions, if not earlier

Slash said they re-did these songs using the old vocals and drums... they're all clearly CD era vocals lol.

• Like 2