Axl recording session in London - UPD.: M. Schenker's UFO tribute album (ft. Axl and Slash) to be released on Sept. 20th

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

He doesn't like bands using tracks, but wants to see a rock band mime through the halftime show? :lol:

You have a wanker named Jay Z who selects all half time show features.  So this will never happen.

After Jay has been put in charge its been nothing but hiphop/rnb type acts of his choosing. 

18 minutes ago, vloors said:

You have a wanker named Jay Z who selects all half time show features.  So this will never happen.

After Jay has been put in charge its been nothing but hiphop/rnb type acts of his choosing. 

I saw Kendrick was announced for 2025 and thought he was probably the best headliner they've had in years :lol: I'm not even a fan of his voice but the guy's undeniably talented at what he does. I probably won't watch it live anyway tbh.

My point was the Superbowl is pre-recorded anyway, Axl publicly called out RHCP when they mimed it a decade ago, why does anyone actually want to see a 'rock band' do that shit? I recently saw the Struts and Barnes Courtney, I could rant about bands using tracks, but it can be done tastefully. But things like the halftime show, award shows, etc... I don't care if good/legendary bands mime for that shit.

Most rappers and pop stars just sing (parts) over the studio tracks anyway, the Superbowl is basically a perfect setting for that kind of thing. :shrugs:

Edited by Gordon Comstock

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I saw Kendrick was announced for 2025 and thought he was probably the best headliner they've had in years :lol: I'm not even a fan of his voice but the guy's undeniably talented at what he does. I probably won't watch it live anyway tbh.

My point was the Superbowl is pre-recorded anyway, Axl publicly called out RHCP when they mimed it a decade ago, why does anyone actually want to see a 'rock band' do that shit? I recently saw the Struts and Barnes Courtney, I could rant about bands using tracks, but it can be done tastefully. But things like the halftime show, award shows, etc... I don't care if good/legendary bands mime for that shit.

Most rappers and pop stars just sing (parts) over the studio tracks anyway, the Superbowl is basically a perfect setting for that kind of thing. :shrugs:

Kendrick though has already performed in 2022 with dr dre, snoop, eminem and 50 and was the most boring of the bunch.

Love to Love will be the first released Axl studio recording since Rock the Rock.  What was the third most recent? Scraped?  I only guess Scraped because it was the one song on Chi Dem I hadn't heard before the album came out.  And the post reunion releases were all 1999-2001 era vocals, apparently. 

56 minutes ago, Macho Vidal said:

Love to Love will be the first released Axl studio recording since Rock the Rock.  What was the third most recent? Scraped?  I only guess Scraped because it was the one song on Chi Dem I hadn't heard before the album came out.  And the post reunion releases were all 1999-2001 era vocals, apparently. 

Can't wait to hear it...

59 minutes ago, Macho Vidal said:

Not nessecarily, Scrapped and Shacklers could have been done anyway between 2002 and 2007 but so could General and Monsters. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

Not nessecarily, Scrapped and Shacklers could have been done anyway between 2002 and 2007 but so could General and Monsters. 

Shackler's apparently was the latest, around 2007. Monsters was 2004 (at least the bridge vocals) and The General is very obviously early 2000s.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 3

On 9/9/2024 at 6:49 PM, MaskingApathy said:

Yeah he's super annoying. Always going on about the same nonsense online, like bands using tracks vs playing live, super bowl not having a rock band for the halftime show, etc.

I wonder if Axl played Trunk unheard stuff after the 2006 interview they did with Baz. That was a classic. Axl told him they had 2.5 albums worth of material. Back in 2006 and even later and likely before Axl was known to play CDs at clubs etc with songs on it. Some leaked that way.  

6 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

Shacklers could have been done anyway between 2002 and 2007 but so could General and Monsters. 

Axl said he wrote Shackler's in response to the media reaction to the 2007 Virginia Tech shooter being a fan of Guns N' Roses. If that is true then the vocals obviously have to be from 2007 or 2008. 

"Shackler’s was inspired by the insanity of senseless school shootings and also the media trying desperately to make more out of one shooter’s preference for the Guns song Brownstone to no avail."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I wonder if Axl played Trunk unheard stuff after the 2006 interview they did with Baz. That was a classic. Axl told him they had 2.5 albums worth of material. Back in 2006 and even later and likely before Axl was known to play CDs at clubs etc with songs on it. Some leaked that way.  

He would have mentioned it by now. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Don’t be surprised if a pre-2006 version of Shackler’s Revenge with vocals leaks.  Be happy, for it won’t have Bumblefoot on it and you can get the full glory of Buckethead on him and Brain’s song. 

So you think Axl is lying about the inspiration for the lyrics? 

19 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

https://www.loudersound.com/features/michael-schenker-my-years-with-ufo-track-by-track-guide

"So Axl forgot about Only You Can Rock Me and Too Hot To Handle and focused on Love To Love. But then he took time, you know, and he's still not ready, he’s still not ready. Eventually, he gave us the approval, confirmed, you know, this is it. And it was just fantastic. It’s almost a mixture, because it's a slower song, it almost has a little bit of a country & western touch, with his vocal approach. Because Phil Mogg sings so unusually, it's so difficult to copy that, but Axl did a fantastic job.”

I hope this means it's more like a Bad Obsession or Wichita Lineman kind of approach, the kind of thing where he could sound strong and easily replicate it live. I'll be disappointed if it's similar to the layered Rock The Rock approach or filtered to hell like the NITL singles.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Macho Vidal said:

Love to love

Rock the rock

I see a pattern there, what will be next...

11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

https://www.loudersound.com/features/michael-schenker-my-years-with-ufo-track-by-track-guide

"So Axl forgot about Only You Can Rock Me and Too Hot To Handle and focused on Love To Love. But then he took time, you know, and he's still not ready, he’s still not ready. Eventually, he gave us the approval, confirmed, you know, this is it. And it was just fantastic. It’s almost a mixture, because it's a slower song, it almost has a little bit of a country & western touch, with his vocal approach. Because Phil Mogg sings so unusually, it's so difficult to copy that, but Axl did a fantastic job.”

Mother Mary (Feat. Slash and Erik Grönwall)

“Most of the guests recorded their parts on their own. The only time I was going to play together was with Slash in Frankfurt. I had my guitar technician there, I had my amps there and my guitar I was on my way to meet Slash and he was telling Axl that he was on his way to do this and Axl was saying that he wanted to take something, which is how he got involved. Then I realised, I said to Slash, ‘We have limited time, maybe we're better off just focusing on your guitar, because I have already done all my takes.’

He’s been influenced by me a lot and Guns N' Roses loved Strangers In The Night. They got Mike Clink, who was our tape operator, and had him as their producer, so it's kind of a small world, passing things on from generation to generation. And then having Eric Grönwall on top of that is just amazing. I heard his vocal coincidentally when he replaced Sebastian Bach [in Skid Row], so when I head Mother Mary, I was really pleased.”

• Like 2