Axl recording session in London - UPD.: M. Schenker's UFO tribute album (ft. Axl and Slash) to be released on Sept. 20th

I wanted to be optimistic, and I do think his actual performance is great and tonally very nice, but the tuning is unbelievably excessive.

I can’t imagine the album was produced by a AAA team though. This gives me slight hope that a real new GNR album would have solid vocals.

8 minutes ago, bmus1 said:

I wanted to be optimistic, and I do think his actual performance is great and tonally very nice, but the tuning is unbelievably excessive.

I can’t imagine the album was produced by a AAA team though. This gives me slight hope that a real new GNR album would have solid vocals.

The vocals on the other singles sound great.

i think Axl has done the effect work..I’ve only listened twice but it sounds a bit weird. 

59 minutes ago, JAxlMorrison said:

The negative reviews im reading, I shouldn’t be surprised haha. It’s kinda sad though. This is an excellent song. He sounds fine. A little trickery in there? Maybe like once or twice. Who cares? We’ve got everything everyone pined for (well most) reunion, vault songs, the general, and so on. Why can’t this fanbase just take a W for once?

Well, the reaction to the actual vocals seems positive, it's just annoying he chose to heavily filter them... :shrugs:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bmus1 said:

We have heard how badly the redone CD songs have sounded

the mix is shit on all of them but Monsters

Hell hardschool vocals sound like he is singing through a tin can and string

its so weird since the demo vox are the same and sound better

• Like 1

When he started singing I was like “wtf?” at first, but then it grew on me by the end. He sounds like 2002 Axl (in a good way). Anyone expecting AFD/UYI Axl will be disappointed, but honestly I wouldn’t mind a whole GnR album that sounded like this.

Ive replayed it once and it’s already grown on me, at least. I think another issue is that I listened to the ufo version so many times leading up to this that I expected something that sounded exactly like that/ built my own expectations in my head.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I haven't listened to it yet, but reading the comments about Axl's vocals being too processed, I think it's a safe bet that he asked to produce the vocals himself. We have to come to terms with the fact that this is how he wants his vocals to be produced (either because of insecurity or just because of preference).

Edit: I just listened to it. I like it :shrugs:It's exactly how I would have expected current Axl to sound in a studio recording

Voice of reason as always

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

When he started singing I was like “wtf?” at first, but then it grew on me by the end. He sounds like 2002 Axl (in a good way). Anyone expecting AFD/UYI Axl will be disappointed, but honestly I wouldn’t mind a whole GnR album that sounded like this.

Ive replayed it once and it’s already grown on me, at least.

How Axl  sounds isnt the issue

Its the filter they are using over the  voice that is the problem 

Unfortunately, a lot of songs are put through the ringer these days in post. I love "Ordinary Man," by Ozzy (featuring Elton John), but holy moly, the pitch correction or auto tuning or whatever the hell it is is very apparent. All the tech in the world, and they can't mix it better?

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 1