Axl recording session in London - UPD.: M. Schenker's UFO tribute album (ft. Axl and Slash) to be released on Sept. 20th

I don't really like the song by itself that much, but the vocals kind of sound what he sounded like live last year, you can hear a weathered voice. Kind of what I expected, not what I hoped for. But who knows what he sounds like when recording after a proper downtime. Basically the same as his November rain performance from the funeral last year. Sensitive.

Edited by GNRmello77

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Well, the reaction to the actual vocals seems positive, it's just annoying he chose to heavily filter them... :shrugs:

This, I think he sounds fine for what it is. It's just excessively processed for seemingly no reason, and it's not exactly done in a way that enhances the vocals at all.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Illusion1987 said:

No...that was still a young fresh gravely voice.

Madagascar was clearly an older more worn out voice. Like a grandpa singing it and again,  it was one of the most anticipated songs on the album for me.

Had it been as crisp as NR, it really would have elevated the song.

... so a more authentic gravelly, worn out voice.

The rasp is what makes Madagascar.

Just listened to the full track. I think Axl sounds good, but the processing on his vocals really kills it for me. I don’t get why this and the NITL singles get beat up so bad in production. CD was overproduced, but at least it’s super crisp and you can hear so much with those songs. These modern mixes are just awful. They all sounds like roughly mixed demos, ironically. The effect on Axl’s vocals on the 1999 Oh My God release are nothing compared to these newer songs. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, GNRmello77 said:

I don't really like the song by itself that much, but the vocals kind of sound what he sounded like live last year, you can hear a weathered voice. Kind of what I expected, not what I hoped for. But who knows what he sounds like when recording after a proper downtime. Basically the same as his November rain performance from the funeral last year. Sensitive.

Comparatively, I thought NR from the funeral was pretty bad…I mean, the emotion he sang with was good, but it was very thin. This sounds strong to me. But, to each their own. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Just listened to the full track. I think Axl sounds good, but the processing on his vocals really kills it for me. I don’t get why this and the NITL singles get beat up so bad in production. CD was overproduced, but at least it’s super crisp and you can hear so much with those songs. These modern mixes are just awful. They all sounds like roughly mixed demos, ironically. The effect on Axl’s vocals on the 1999 Oh My God release are nothing compared to these newer songs. 

I haven't heard the new song yet, but if Axl were reduced to Mickey voice from here on out, I'd rather he use the OMG distortion effect than let his Mickey flag fly.

I think CD had great production. For something with so many layers, they managed to keep all of them remarkably separate, audible and not feeling crowded.

6 minutes ago, JAxlMorrison said:

Comparatively, I thought NR from the funeral was pretty bad…I mean, the emotion he sang with was good, but it was very thin. This sounds strong to me. But, to each their own. 

I think it worked there because it was a more gentle and somber take on it, with just the piano and vocals, and given the occasion.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

I haven't heard the new song yet, but if Axl were reduced to Mickey voice from here on out, I'd rather he use the OMG distortion effect than let his Mickey flag fly.

I think CD had great production. For something with so many layers, they managed to keep all of them remarkably separate, audible and not feeling crowded.

I think it worked there because it was a more gentle and somber take on it, with just the piano and vocals, and given the occasion.

Tommy’s bass got cucked by Pitman’s sub-bass, but aside from that, yeah the mix on that album is very good.

Edited by rocknroll41

Download finally finished! It's hard to tell what is an effect and what isn't. The rasp sounds pretty artificial, but that could be the result of an effect on top of it. Definitely some pitch correction in there. The weird thing is that the rasp sounds very different from one part to another, which makes me lean towards it being artificial.

Maybe Axl was listening in here when I said he should just use some kind of rasp effect if he can't do it anymore. :lol: Just stick with one type of rasp effect though, lol.

I like it. Instrumental wise an vocals. Low rasp an clean. Still a little hint of mickey though on the "love to love to love you" part. But good to hear Axl in the studio again, gives hope for what that voice with the locker leaks would still sound cool. Anyone know if another guitar player did the solo by the end of the track? 

• Like 1

Just now, bumcheecksmcghee said:

I like it. Instrumental wise an vocals. Low rasp an clean. Still a little hint of mickey though on the "love to love to love you" part. But good to hear Axl in the studio again, gives hope for what that voice with the locker leaks would still sound cool. Anyone know if another guitar player did the solo by the end of the track? 

Would love to comment

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Download finally finished! It's hard to tell what is an effect and what isn't. The rasp sounds pretty artificial, but that could be the result of an effect on top of it. Definitely some pitch correction in there. The weird thing is that the rasp sounds very different from one part to another, which makes me lean towards it being artificial.

Maybe Axl was listening in here when I said he should just use some kind of rasp effect if he can't do it anymore. :lol: Just stick with one type of rasp effect though, lol.

Agreed, thought he sounded better in the second chorus than that first few vocal lines. It definitely got better though. 

Cool song, never heard it before, will try out the original now :)

• Like 1

If Axl needed more time to mix his vocals on this, just imagine how robotic he must sound on Children Of The Revolution by now... :lol:

Seriously though, he could still do a nice covers record in the studio - Wichita Lineman needs to happen eventually. His voice on LTL is sort of a middle ground between Wichita and Madagascar (recent performances). But for the love of God don't let him anywhere near the mixing board, get Mike Clink to do another Orgy Of The Damned for GNR, give Axl one week, then ban him from the studio :lol:

• Like 2

It's a colossal letdown.  I know some people are trying to convince themselves that it's not, but it is.

What a garbage song.  Axl's voice is only in about 2:30 of the song...the rest is just pure wankery.  Boring as shit to sit through.

It's so ridiculous that the last "decent" known recording of one of the greatest voices in rock history is gonna turn out to be that insipid throwaway cartoon song, but there it is.  At least he sounded like himself on that song.   This just showcases his deflated, weak, decimated old man voice.

It suddenly makes sobering sense why he never released a proper single after the reunion:  he can't.

• PERHAPS 2

I really like it. I never listened to the original song, so I'll get around to that.  I wish Axl's part was longer, but I can see why Schencker made this a single. Axl sounds really good.

I also wish Axl was brave enough to do this under his own band name, because I think it would be more well-received than the old chidem songs we've been getting. An original song that sounds like this night actually get some radio play and reignite the excitement from fans 

Edited by meadsoap