Axl recording session in London - UPD.: M. Schenker's UFO tribute album (ft. Axl and Slash) to be released on Sept. 20th

Just now, WhazUp said:

Haven't heard it (can't seem to find it!) however for those who have - how does it compare to the way Axl sounded on Rock the Rock - which I actually thought was not bad?

I think he sounds better on this than on Rock the Rock (different style and different kind of songs, though - if RtR can be considered a "song"), but I guess others disagree.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

He’a just using (a lot of) reverb and compression. It’s not filtering, or any kind of altering (like modulation or pitching) effect. 

It really isn’t processed. Hell, there were people saying it was AI generated. :wow:

There is, without question, pitch correction, for one thing. You can hear it snap to pitch in more than one place.

There's not that much reverb either, and compression doesn't change how something sounds like that. You can find a compressed MP3 of any other Guns song on Youtube and it doesn't make him sound like that.

Here's Patience uploaded on a potato in 144p:

Axl still sounds the same, just shit quality.

Listening to it now, definitely hearing the Melodyne working overtime - that said yeah this is definitely the Axl of the 2020s, not the Axl who guested on Angel Down and delivered some of the meanest powerful vocals he has laid down in 30 yerars

It isn't bad, though to my ears it is just kind of there.  Like, Axl seems fairly dubdued on it overall - which it being a studio recording you could take many vocal passes at I wish he went for a couple more high notes during the second time his vocals showed up to crescendo into the last bit of the song

46 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

It isn't bad, though to my ears it is just kind of there.  Like, Axl seems fairly dubdued on it overall - which it being a studio recording you could take many vocal passes at I wish he went for a couple more high notes during the second time his vocals showed up to crescendo into the last bit of the song

I thought his take was pretty faithful to the original, it's not really the kind of song to go full throttle on. It's not bad but he's proven that he can't mix himself properly... I don't know why he insists on such heavy studio distortion.

But I still think a covers record is their best option, let Clink and co. record a handful of covers and you'd have a better record than anything they could write nowadays.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

It's a colossal letdown.  I know some people are trying to convince themselves that it's not, but it is.

What a garbage song.  Axl's voice is only in about 2:30 of the song...the rest is just pure wankery.  Boring as shit to sit through.

It's so ridiculous that the last "decent" known recording of one of the greatest voices in rock history is gonna turn out to be that insipid throwaway cartoon song, but there it is.  At least he sounded like himself on that song.   This just showcases his deflated, weak, decimated old man voice.

It suddenly makes sobering sense why he never released a proper single after the reunion:  he can't.

We knew about this song months ago but you didn't bother to listen to the original? It was always gonna be an instrumental wankfest. The songs we could've heard 'classic Axl' on were the ones he abandoned... I think they were Only You Can Rock Me and Too Hot To Handle.

It's a decent performance by recent standards, mixing/effects aside. With a professional team GNR could do a great covers album or EP, but Axl/Caram would have to step down.

Edited by Gordon Comstock

The fact it’s over-processed and multi-layered is not surprising, after all it’s in the vein of the latest recordings, including CD. The main thing is, the medium rasp is still there when he wants to, it’s just weaker, of course. And btw, this is the best we can get regarding this particular song – if he does it live, he’ll probably do the low Maddy-like rasp but when it goes higher, he’ll switch straight to mickey undoubtedly. 
But it’s great to hear some official studio work from him again. It’s crazy when you think about it. One of the most famous singers, and these two songs – 2018 (17?) and now 2023 – are the only truly new recordings in the last 20 years that we’ve heard...

Edit: Oh and Angel Down.

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Hmm? You don't think we will hear more finished songs from the CD era?

I agree.. we know there’s other stuff that has been worked on that hasn’t been released. Honestly, if Slash/Duff weren’t back in the fold, I’d be less optimistic, but they wouldn’t have even tinkered with the “‘Chinese’ leftovers” if they didn’t see some degree of merit in them. There will be something, of course “soon” is never the right word to use…

Edited by gnfr20179
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, gnfr20179 said:

I agree.. we know there’s other stuff that has been worked on that hasn’t been released. Honestly, if Slash/Duff weren’t back in the fold, I’d be less optimistic, but they wouldn’t have even tinkered with the “‘Chinese’ leftovers” if they didn’t see some degree of merit in them. There will be something, of course “soon” is never the right word to use…

Absolutely. Axl didn't spend that much effort on these songs to not release them, and everything seems to go according to the somewhat loose plan described by Slash and Duff. It just takes time. But more music will come, I am sure :) 

• Like 3

"A list of names that would make any Rock-n-Roll lover’s mouth water, everyone seems to have a blast recording this album, and most of all, do not mail it in. Showing they are all also fans of the UFO material at hand, some of the coolest moments captured on the album include “Only You Can Rock Me” (with Joey Tempest and Roger Glover), “Doctor, Doctor” (with Joe Lynn Turner and Carmine Appice), “Love to Love” (with Axel Rose), “Lights Out” (with Jeff Scot Soto and Europe’s John Norum), as well as “Rock Bottom” (with Kai Hansen)"

Review: Michael Schenker - My Years With UFO (Album Review) - Cryptic Rock

"When I read that Axl Rose had picked up the vocal duties on ‘Love To Love’ – maybe my favourite UFO track of all time, and easily amongst my Top 10 rock songs ever – I was trepidatious. A little more soul and a little more gravitas would have been better perhaps, but Axl’s gravelly tones work well enough. He finds character on this occasion, rather than histrionics, and it lets the majesty of the track shine through. Schenker and Sherinian do the rest."

Review: Get Ready to ROCK!--Album review: MICHAEL SCHENKER – My Years with UFO--

• Like 2