Axl recording session in London - UPD.: M. Schenker's UFO tribute album (ft. Axl and Slash) to be released on Sept. 20th

38 minutes ago, vail2004 said:

ya think? its caricature levels of zero objectivity and the desire to just complain and criticize.  GNR fans have plenty of legit gripes ... first and foremost a lack of new material through the years.  but people here seem to rip his voice before they even listen to tracks.  yeah its not what it was.  but its a lot better than what you see in this forum.   not sure if if other band fan sites just amplify hyper critical posters but it has always been odd to me

Right, I mean pre democracy, failed tours etc the gripes were more legit. Maybe 2014 when things stalled, but since 2016 they’re toured, released “new” songs everyone claimed to wait so badly, altered the setlist…do I want a new, fresh album, hell yeah. But at this point I wouldn’t be surprised if we got one and the same dissenting voices were still hating and having the same complaints they’ve had for 25 years. Yet, still they remain…

• Like 4

People here claiming that because some of us say it is badly produced and too much effects and robotic the reason why we dont like it is that to there is no/less rasp. This has nothing to do with rasp, I can love Axls clean voice but this voice is not clean, its full of compression, filters and autotune/pitch correction to cover up the original voice.

But I dont think it was necessary, even in live shows he have some good vocals left on good days

• Like 2

I'll say this. It's obviously not the classic Axl voice that we all became fans of, and who could reasonably expect that this many years after breaking on the scene. However, it's enough of his signature style buried under the effects that it still resonates and puts a smile on my face. To someone like myself with zero experience on which effects might do which things, I'll just say that it almost sounds like some of these AI versions people have been doing with Axl's voice over the last couple of years.

I have found myself going back and re-listening numerous times now though, which has to account for something. It's a good song with a nice melody, and he doesn't sound bad at all. I just wish it didn't have that effect on it. The same as when I first heard The General, I thought that it was a weird effect on his voice, but people have said it's just an artistic choice. Whether it's that, or it's him trying to protect how his voice actually sounds in a raw setting, either way, this is what we have now. I'll take as many new Axl vocals as I can get, in any capacity, and be happy to have them.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Then what compression are you talking about? Dynamic range compression? That wouldn't change the timbre of his voice.

A lot of reverb would be like AC/DC used on Fly On The Wall. This is not much at all.

I'm not saying pitch correction is being used like T-Pain does. Other than some unnatural snapping to notes, we can't really know how much it was used without the unedited track to compare with.

Just regular studio compression used for every single artist. It's not changing his timbre at all, I don't hear anything like this. 

About the reverb, to me it's too much, it's almost cathedral reverb. Not sure about this AC/DC song, but IMO, this is more than the song needed. It's not bad, it sounds a bit old school to me to be honest. Still, it's just reverb, not a filter or distortion that would change his voice. 

Agree about the pitch correction. But then again, I'm not sure why everyone always consider that Axl uses pitch correction in every single studio song post 1993. It's not like the guy wasn't able to just sing in tune. And any artifact derived from other stuff - like the combination of reverb and compression on this one - people readily assume it's autotune/melodyne. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

So, is it any different from the leak?

No, as far as I can tell (if I'm not mistaken, the leak came from someone who had pre-ordered the album and got their physical copy before release date).

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

The more I listen to it, the more I like it. It’s a 2023 Axl alright (and a slow number anyway). Yeah, processed/double-layered, but whatever, that was expected. And the guitar at the end is pretty awesome too. Overall, what a lovely bit of snack in this endless fucking desert. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

No, as far as I can tell (if I'm not mistaken, the leak came from someone who had pre-ordered the album and got their physical copy before release date).

Thanks. I don't know where it came from, but I thought it was from some downloadable mp3 in a Spanish webstore. 

Still, didn't think it would be any different. It's just that people here thought that the released version would have a better mix/sound quality. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Barlog said:

The levels of copium in this thread are insane.

Eh, we're allowed to like what we like. That isn't "coping." It's nice to hear Axl on something newly recorded. Whether it compares to his vocal performances from 20 years ago is irrelevant to me.

The song seems to mostly be getting favorable blurbs from folks outside of this bubble who are talking about the record.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 1

As expected… 

It’s not the powerful, raspy Axl but I don’t know if this songs needs more power or rasp. 
I really like the instrumental and the vocals don’t ruin it for me. It’s not like Axl’s shining on this. His vocal take isn’t anything special but it fits the song. It’s good. 
I just heard it once, after a few listens I like it probably even more.

When Axl starts singing it reminds me of Phil Lynott.

Edited by Free Bird

Don't think I've ever heard an official release by anyone that is this heavily processed/auto tuned. To the point where it just isn't listenable. 

Effects aside, the small hint of Axl's real voice we do get here actually sounds really good. I wish he had the confidence to release a less processed version, because I am 100% sure it would sound better than this. There is no way it could sound worse.