Axl recording session in London - UPD.: M. Schenker's UFO tribute album (ft. Axl and Slash) to be released on Sept. 20th

15 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

On a different note, the bass line that starts at the outtro of the song reminds me very much of a David Bowie bass line, not identical but pretty close, I just can't remember what David Bowie song it is. Anyone know?

I can think about the ending of Lazarus while listening to the outro. Not identical, but similar in feel

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Just regular studio compression used for every single artist. It's not changing his timbre at all, I don't hear anything like this. 

About the reverb, to me it's too much, it's almost cathedral reverb. Not sure about this AC/DC song, but IMO, this is more than the song needed. It's not bad, it sounds a bit old school to me to be honest. Still, it's just reverb, not a filter or distortion that would change his voice. 

Agree about the pitch correction. But then again, I'm not sure why everyone always consider that Axl uses pitch correction in every single studio song post 1993. It's not like the guy wasn't able to just sing in tune. And any artifact derived from other stuff - like the combination of reverb and compression on this one - people readily assume it's autotune/melodyne. 

That wouldn't change how his rasp sounds, though. I agree it's not a phaser or flanger anything like that, but there's something more going on there. His rasp almost sounds like it has a limiter on it or something. It doesn't have the irregularity of a naturally produced signal.

Yeah, IDK why he felt the need to use pitch correction on CD. Possibly because he got a really great rasp on one take, which he couldn't recreate, so he opted to just touch up the spots where that take was imperfect. I think he said the bridge to Monsters was all one take. If he tried to punch in a new line recorded years later, it would probably stick out like a sore thumb.

• Like 1

Yes, there's a load of compression but Axl sounds ok...and pretty good for 62. It's still Axl Rose....and certainly a step up from some of the recent live performances...

Get in a studio and cut something....even an EP! Still got something left....

Would of loved a scream or two as the end rips though!!

Progress....

Maybe Children Of The Rev will leak some day and along with our Chinese leftovers official and unofficial, we could make a decent 10/12 track Frankensteined LP.

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I like it very much Axl's vocals and the guitar. more Axl collaborations like this would be great. there's a bunch of things that Axl can still do with his singing voice, it's naturally pleasing to the ear for me and this cover is no different imho. I also like the original so definitely going to listen in the long run to both versions.

this doesn't happen very often. it's nice to have new Axl vocals on a song I enjoy and not rock the rock for example

First fresh Axl vocal take on a proper release since 2007! (RTR isn't a release!) Quite something....

Hopefully the decent reviews of his performance, urge him on to do more of this or GNR stuff. 😜

Cool that's great up for performing in Japan too!!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

Not bad actually, Good to hear what Axl currently sounds like in a studio setting, the Axl of old is definitely there.  Hope the band can put together some new songs sooner than later.

Idk his vocals sound like it was processed through a tin can in my opinion.

Cant believe he took 2 months tinkering with the short vocal part of this song.

• Like 1

The song is very cool MS is such an incredible player, those solo(s) were perfect. Axl sounded good, but I thought he would have taken lift off at the end and gave some of the big screams back and forth with the guitar solo ending. Waiting for this release and there's like a minute of singing😁 

Agreed the vocal sounds processed, I wish he'd just sing the track until he's happy with it rather that covering it these effects. In this case it makes the vocal seem very separate to rest of the music, and loses a lot of the warmth almost like when AI replaces vocals (starting the conspiracy😎). Regardless, Axl still sounds good under all that stuff. 

1 hour ago, vloors said:

Idk his vocals sound like it was processed through a tin can in my opinion.

Cant believe he took 2 months tinkering with the short vocal part of this song.

If this is the best they could do in 2-3 months, then I shudder to think how the other two songs Axl did for this project turned out... This is barely acceptable as it is, so it's no wonder why the others were canned.

I'm not usually negative when it comes to Axl, but this took a lot of the wind out of the sails for me. Axl is probably one of the weakest vocalists on the album and the vocals and processing just aren't there. I'm not confident Axl could pull off an entire GN'R album in the studio at this stage unless he changes his approach and uses his baritone more...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Axlizzy said:

I don’t get the complaints…I thought his vocals were exceptional and spot on for the song.

Yeah it’s the combination of the processing, Axl’s today form, and the fact this is not 2007 "Stuck Inside" or anything, so I guess some people had unreasonable expectations... although I do understand and partially share the dislike of the overdone computer work on it. But in general, it’s great to hear him on something – anything! – from a studio again. 

It was hard for me to listen to this utterly boring arena rock song, which is basically one song repeated twice, and that's why it's almost 8 minutes long.

The amount of Melodyne (an effect you use in the studio when a singer can't hit the note) is abysmal, and that's probably the main reason why GnR will never release new music again.

Axl is struggling with a completely average baritone vocal line, which a pub singer could pull off in two or three takes. So sad. Some people age like fine wine, others like vinegar.

I would much prefer if he retired, rather than trying something like this out-of-place artifact again.

For production freaks, the producer obviously knew how bad the "real" take was. So besides Melodyne, he used a little distortion from an amp sim below the Cher-like atrocity to try to blend it into the generally bland but typical and correct arena rock mix. But some of us sufferers can immediately hear the effort to hide the absolute defeat of the once-legendary Axl Rose.

I love him to the bone, and that's why I want him to retire. Even in its most mellow form, any Guns N' Roses song would require a much more complex and challenging vocal line, and Axl obviously can't pull it off anymore.

It's over, people. The game is over. It's not just his age, it's the depression that probably haunts him from 1992 onward.

• Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 2