Axl recording session in London - UPD.: M. Schenker's UFO tribute album (ft. Axl and Slash) to be released on Sept. 20th

25 minutes ago, Sisyphus said:

I'm not familiar with UFO's songs but my very first impression upon hearing this was RIP Axl's voice. It's over. 

You’re so atrociously wrong. He sounds like Axl, he delivers words like Axl. It’s absolutely in line with his entire career. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

I like the song a lot and it's totally something I can picture young Axl listening to.

To say something positive - in Axl's take, I can still hear the emotion in Axl's voice. Tone aside, that's what I always loved about his singing, real emotions.

This!

• Like 1

"WELL...It's really growing on me...no, really the more I listen to it, the more I like it....
in fact I love the track and the production doesn't bother me anymore...

hi Melissa! :wub: "

all the haters now 

• Haha 2

Listened a fair few more times today and actually can we all agree on one thing...no longer a myth or hope! Axl, vocally can and could deliver a decent new GNR album if he cared to?! His own standards from the last are HIGH but taken his age and that passing of time into account, he could do some poignantly aged vocal work by this evidence and make a great record in the vein of some of the other late career great records of bands of the 70/80s. Come on Axl....give us one last (snake) dance

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

He was in a studio twice in 2017 (once for Rock The Rock and once for Children of the Revolution).

Before that, as far as we know, the last time he recorded vocals was in 2007, yes. He recorded a song with Ashba, during his time in the band, but it’s never been clarified whether or not that song has vocals. There’s also a pic of Pitman in Axl’s home studio in 2015, but they coulda just been tinkering with old stuff, rather than recording anything new.

If Axl ever releases a book, I’d hope he’d shed light on how creative he’s been since the release of Chinese. As late as 2006, if I’m remembering right, he mentions on that Trump interview that they were working on a song that wasn’t even going to make the third (or second) record that followed Chinese.

Following this, we’ve heard little on whether or not he’s created anything. DJ has mentioned Axl playing him stuff that blew his mind. 4tus mentioned in late 2014 or early 15, whenever he was doing those guitar showcases, that Axl had been recording a lot of vocals the week prior. Stinson said Axl recorded vocals every year across Tommy’s tenure and lastly, Fernando mentioned to Rick that Axl had “just finished his vocals” in 2019 prior to shit going tonto with the village leaks - he did mention Axl continued to write and create music since the release of Chinese aswell on Reddit.

There’s also stuff that counter the above too - Bumble was pretty vocal at the band not hitting the studio or working on new music together - that’s not to say it wasn’t being done, as a few of them mentioned they’d bounce ideas around, it may have been that Bumble just wasn’t included.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dean said:

Yeah and no - Slash guests on another song.

ok thanks..  I thought they were gonna be on a song together for some reason. I thought Axl sounded ok on Love to Love but not a song I really feel the need to listen to again. 

Edited by Tom-Ass

8 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

ok thanks..  I thought they were gonna be on a song together for some reason. I thought Axl sounded ok on Love to Love but not a song I really feel the need to listen to again. 

Axl and Slash (and Duff) are together on a cover of Children of The Revolution that is unknown when it will be released.

People getting riled up about people analyzing or "over-analyzing" the vocal track.

Fuck no, no need to do that. The effects added during post production hit you in the face the second Axl starts singing, even when listening to it via smartphone. What's up with everybody's ears? Wow.

Of course it's not as obvious as The General or some of Ozzy's latest releases for example, or even the auto tune on the latest Rolling Stone record, but it's still there. Go see a doctor of you don't hear it.

It's just too bad imo, because I'd love to hear the natural Axl, if I am allowed to phrase it like that. Give me the emotions of Madagascar or Patience or whatever, but I really don't care for some special effect Axl. And it's such a shame because there's comparatively so little of Axls voice out there and then when stuff gets released it's overdone with effects. 

I really don't care if Axl doesn't sound like 30 years ago anymore, just show me what you're still capable of, not what the computer is capable of.

• Like 4

I am not sure what some of you want?  He sounds really good on the song.  It's not his song, so you can't say anything negativity that part.  Seems like some of you think we are going to get a 1989 voice from a 60 something year old who never took care of his voice.  ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. I would take 10 new songs with this voice and be extremely happy

No one in or out of the fandom will ever be 100% pleased by any future efforts from GNR in the studio, but as some already mentioned, this track alone confirms Axl still is capable of going in and doing a solid performance worthy of a wide release.

Edited by gnfr20179

17 minutes ago, fabrph5 said:

I am not sure what some of you want?  He sounds really good on the song.  It's not his song, so you can't say anything negativity that part.  Seems like some of you think we are going to get a 1989 voice from a 60 something year old who never took care of his voice.  ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. I would take 10 new songs with this voice and be extremely happy

The majority of comments are on the vocal production that Melissa has since taken credit for. I’d hazard a guess the other vocalists didn’t have their vocals privately produced and tinkered with for months. 

It’s obviously Axl’s choice if he feels the need to do this but there seems to be many fans who’d prefer to hear a less produced version of his performance & actually that in many ways is a compliment to our fearless leader. 

The production has actually grown on me. The leak I think was slightly lower quality. 

I would also add I’m really enjoying Stephen Pearcy’s version of Shoot Shoot…he’s technically not the greatest singer but his attitude etc is still very much in tact. 

Edited by reayj2003
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

Where on earth are you getting that from?

2024_282.jpg

Based on Melissa's post, it looks like the mix was done by Chris Dugan (who works with Green Day and has many credentials).

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1