Axl recording session in London - UPD.: M. Schenker's UFO tribute album (ft. Axl and Slash) to be released on Sept. 20th

2 hours ago, gunsnchalupas said:

I hate when fairweather fans who don't read Duff's twitter post here. This is a progressive band. They apologized for Cornshucker. Get over it!

Have they apologized? Can u share the link? Duff played part of the song with Loaded not so long ago.

1 hour ago, GNR78 said:

It simply suites to UFO; have you listened to the original song?

Axl s voice is and was something special; 

Yes, one of the first things I did was go back and listen to the original recording to see if any of the production choices were intentional for aesthetic reasons, rather than working to hide some of the weaknesses with his current voice. 

Aesthetically, it sounds more like 90s Cher than a 70s vocal recording. If this song leaked with no prior knowledge of the recording, people would assume it was an AI mashup and not a unique vocal take done by Axl. That's how strange the choice of effects are. 

55 minutes ago, Petr said:

Have they apologized? Can u share the link? Duff played part of the song with Loaded not so long ago.

All I know is that I was all for Trump and building that damn wall, but Duff's Twitter set me straight. 

1 hour ago, Petr said:

He is 62, not in his 70s

Once someone passes 35, it;s close enough that I'm just going to round up to 70. It's all downhill from 35, so I'm factually correct here. 

Edited by gunsnchalupas
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/20/2024 at 11:45 PM, fabrph5 said:

I am not sure what some of you want?  He sounds really good on the song.  It's not his song, so you can't say anything negativity that part.  Seems like some of you think we are going to get a 1989 voice from a 60 something year old who never took care of his voice.  ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. I would take 10 new songs with this voice and be extremely happy

Exactly. Give us a new GnR record with vocals like this and we will LOVE IT

• Like 3

On 9/20/2024 at 1:45 PM, fabrph5 said:

Seems like some of you think we are going to get a 1989 voice from a 60 something year old who never took care of his voice.

I hate that this is the default reaction to criticism here. :facepalm:

The actual vocals aren't bad - I heard this song and now I want a studio version of Wichita Lineman even more than I already did... but the effects are distracting in a bad way, just like on the NITL singles. Literally nobody was expecting 'classic Axl' vocals on this track, but it could've been a lot more 'raw' sounding... I'll keep the live versions of Wichita Lineman in my playlists but won't revisit Love To Love very often.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I hate that this is the default reaction to criticism here. :facepalm:

The actual vocals aren't bad - I heard this song and now I want a studio version of Wichita Lineman even more than I already did... but the effects are distracting in a bad way, just like on the NITL singles. Literally nobody was expecting 'classic Axl' vocals on this track, but it could've been a lot more 'raw' sounding... I'll keep the live versions of Wichita Lineman in my playlists but won't revisit Love To Love very often.

Oh it's even better than that. Even though you may not like this specific song you will never stop playing it.

5 hours ago, JAxlMorrison said:

Definitely not a mess, haha. That’s just the “Star Wars esque” portion of the fanbase. Everything is a mess to them but they’ll never stop playing it, or commenting here 

6 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

Oh it's even better than that. Even though you may not like this specific song you will never stop playing it.

Well my vinyl is supposed to be delivered tomorrow, so I guess I'll have to give it one more chance :lol:

Instrumentally it's a nice version, I was kinda surprised to see so many complaints about the short vocal sections - I thought more people would listen to the original. Axl's delivery is faithful, but the song is begging for a 'live' take where he uses the Wichita voice... the effects ruin it.

Get Clink and co to record a 'raw' covers EP like OOTD and everyone here would lose their minds... I wouldn't even mind if they added a 'covers section' to the live shows like Alice Cooper used to do. Love To Love is pretty forgettable though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Well my vinyl is supposed to be delivered tomorrow, so I guess I'll have to give it one more chance :lol:

Instrumentally it's a nice version, I was kinda surprised to see so many complaints about the short vocal sections - I thought more people would listen to the original. Axl's delivery is faithful, but the song is begging for a 'live' take where he uses the Wichita voice... the effects ruin it.

Get Clink and co to record a 'raw' covers EP like OOTD and everyone here would lose their minds... I wouldn't even mind if they added a 'covers section' to the live shows like Alice Cooper used to do. Love To Love is pretty forgettable though.

It's an ok song, I prefer it to the one Slash was on. I would imagine next time they tour we will get at least one new cover, and if we do get Children Of The Revolution next year it wouldn't surprise me if it's that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dean said:

The majority of Chinese is a clean voice and there's elements of it throughout the Guns catalogue, we've just not heard that voice age over the last 20 years

... huh? Axl tried to get every bit of rasp he could muster on CD. Except Catcher and Prostitute, really.

11 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

So even when we have a trusted source saying that Axl wanted to re-record new takes to make it better, people still think he got out of tune in a very easy song and felt the need to use autotune all over it? :lol:

We don't "think", we know that a human voice cannot snap from one note to another in a millisecond. There's no question that pitch correction was used in some places. It was also used on CD, even though there was no reason to, Axl can sing just fine and had 15 years worth of takes for that. It just seems to be a security blanket for him or something.

19 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

... huh? Axl tried to get every bit of rasp he could muster on CD. Except Catcher and Prostitute, really.

We don't "think", we know that a human voice cannot snap from one note to another in a millisecond. There's no question that pitch correction was used in some places. It was also used on CD, even though there was no reason to, Axl can sing just fine and had 15 years worth of takes for that. It just seems to be a security blanket for him or something.

That comment wasn’t aimed at you, but I was talking about people who stated that it was all over it. 

But I disagree, I think it’s still questionable. It’s likely that he used, but I wouldn’t say that for certain. 

On 9/21/2024 at 6:06 AM, Blackstar said:

Axl and Slash (and Duff) are together on a cover of Children of The Revolution that is unknown when it will be released.

Was that ever *confirmed confirmed* or just rumoured? Remember hearing this one at the time but in my memory I filed it alongside the ‘Light My Fire’ rumour.

Honestly I don't even think Axl sounds terrible here or anything, I think it is just evident the same vocal qualities he has live is also just the way he sounds now and I think there is a potential for him to use what he still has vocally in a way that makes new material work

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I didnt say that it doesn’t involve editing, but editing a vocal track still isn’t mixing nor adding effects (as it would affect the rest of the mix). She’s not credited in the mixing. 

And well, even if you consider that she worked with the mixer and album producer and added the effects, it’s still likely that it was Axl’s decision to leave as it was released. 

I don't even think it matters what role Melissa played here. The processing still grates and sounds odd. It would be much better if Axl just decided to use his baritone more without the effects, because even listening through the processing there are still weaker vocal elements. 

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 1

So I finally got to listen to it, and I gotta say I loved it. I am a bit biased, ballads are my thing but I think Axl sounded really nice. I thought the vocal effects that were mentioned would be terrible, but I did not mind them. It was a nice song and to me his vocals sounded fine, if we got a new album with these kind of vocals I would be happy 

• Like 2

I finally found a review that was critical of Axl's vocals:

"But for me personally I do not really like the contributions of Axl Rose (Guns ‘N Roses) and Stephen Pearcy (Ratt). These two guys are as singers over the hill for me and with Rose tackling the possible best UFO-song ever (,,Love To Love’’) is something I just do not get. I think someone like for instance Glenn Hughes or Lee Small would have done a better job here. You better listen for yourself here. I find it horrible."

Review: Review | Michael Schenker - My Years With UFO - 50th Anniversary Celebration - HeadBangers Lifestyle

Still, it seems like reviewers are more fans of Axl on this song than GN'R fans are :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

... huh? Axl tried to get every bit of rasp he could muster on CD. Except Catcher and Prostitute, really

Negative. He’s spoken about this too - China Exchange interview springs to mind. The majority of the album is sang clean with sporadic use of drive where necessary. 

• Like 1

Just saw a clip on IG of Axl singing Rocket Queen in 2016. Full Rasp, Power and in key. It's gutting to think he could still sing this well when Slash and Duff were back in the band, but it's taken until 2020 (unlikely) - 2024 for their to be rumours that the band even might be doing new songs with new vocals (probably arent), when Axl vocally has been completely shot since 2018. If they'd done what the pumpkins or chilis did (and rumoured oasis) and recorded a new album straight away in 2015/16 we'd have axl still close to vocal prime with slash and duff. 

Whilst I like the new vocal and don't think it's that bad, it isn't a patch on how he sounded even in 2016 and it is just another missed opportunity by axl and GnR. That is the best way to sum up the entire GnR history. A missed opportunity. 

• Sad 1

I really don't know what to think. At the end the day Axl is covering someone else's song and vocals here. So, it won't be Axl's style, which suits his voice - kinda like a guitarist using their own rig to cover another artist. Imagine Satriani using his own gear to play EVH. However, Axl's voice does sound somewhat fragile, and there's clearly a lot of processing on the vocals. It shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone here who has seen GNR live recently. It's a reality check for those expecting brand new GNR tunes sounding like the good old days.

I do hope this isn't the last track Axl records however. It isn't fitting for him to go out like that.