Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

1 minute ago, uzi your illusion said:

If its Robin's guitar at the very start of the solo, why wouldn't he be listed at all on the credits?

Who knows? Maybe Slash copied the bends as a sort of nod to him. If that's the case, it will be interesting to see how much of May's solo he keeps in if Atlas ever comes out. 

1 minute ago, BassistSeb said:

Seems to be a lot more buzz in regular circles than after the last two releases. If The General's as epic as well hope then it'll be interesting to see people's reactions to that. 

From Sebastian Bach's description it seems to be a slow, sludge metal sounding song with high, piercing Axl vocals. Also from the interviews posted on A-4-D, the track existed in 2002 if not earlier. Marco Beltrami worked on it and put orchestration to it but noted that the song didn't have vocals.

12 minutes ago, BassistSeb said:

I was of the same opinion but I can see the logic to this - if they put out a reunion album of CD leftovers I couldn't see the music press being too gushing. I mean, it's a real risk putting out a reunion record (although Sabbath pulled if off with 13) so releasing singles eases off the pressure. I wish there was less of a gap between releases but it is what it is. I'm hoping that eventually they'll have released an album's worth and they do put out the singles as a record. I'd certainly double dip. 

I'm with you re people at gigs - I swear most people just buy a ticket and have no clue what they're in for. The most fun example of this was back in 2009 when Lou Reed did a Metal Machine Music tour where he toured and just made weird experimental avant-garde noise with two other musicians. It was billed as that (and it was a real hoot!) but the funniest thing was seeing most of the audience who probably only knew Perfect Day and Walk on the Wild Side completely shit bricks when the madness started. Felt that was the greatest troll to audiences who don't bother to do their research. Man, Lou was one of a kind. Best one liner from him I saw was when I saw him live in Hammersmith a couple of years later and someone shouted out at the start - "I love you Lou!" and he deadpan replied - "And of course, you know after all these years I really love you too." :lol:

Haha brilliant! Love that sort of stuff. 

Lou wasn't a band renowned for bowing down to very casual fans! 

I've listened to Perhaps 25 times today. 100 minutes of my day to GNR! Honestly, if anything I'm liking it more and more. A little effort goes a long way too, the music video is getting lots of reactions vids, etc. I think catchy as hell! Also to the guy that said it didn't have soul....those lyrics man, although simple, go quite deep into to Ax's soul! I think this is one of the best songs we've had since the 90s! It's not a better song but it's catchier and most instant than anything else on Chinese for me....

11 minutes ago, BassistSeb said:

Who knows? Maybe Slash copied the bends as a sort of nod to him. If that's the case, it will be interesting to see how much of May's solo he keeps in if Atlas ever comes out. 

I think Atlas might have the best solo too, Slash will not wanna mess around when he's replacing someone he respects a bunch like Sir Brian! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

What a novelty....people reacting to a new GNR single!! Great to see mostly positive and really enjoying it (if not quite always as informed as us...) Video responses to this....here's a smattering....

Good vibes...they so should capatalise on this moment! 

Also this non rock fan watches and ends up sure Guns are a Christian rock band.....seriously! I'm not kidding! 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, BassistSeb said:

Seems to be a lot more buzz in regular circles than after the last two releases. If The General's as epic as well hope then it'll be interesting to see people's reactions to that. 

Good things can happen when the label is supportive.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Polydor seem to be involved too, they're a good label! 

I'm seeing a lot of comments of folk comparing to a shortened Estranged! Dunno, but that's high praise indeed. It is cutting  through a bit with more casual fans from what I'm seeing more so than the last two....happy days. 

Edited by colonizedmind

8 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Polydor seem to be involved too, they're a good label! 

I'm seeing a lot of comments of folk comparing to a shortened Estranged! Dunno, but that's high praise indeed. It is cutting  through a bit with more casual fans from what I'm seeing more so than the last two....happy days. 

Yeah, I do find a fair few of those "everything went downhill after Appetite" folks around in the general music world who wanted GN'R to do the same thing over and over again though. I find it really frustrating when people are like that as if GN'R had just stayed doing bluesy classic rock the whole time they wouldn't be my favourite band. I mean, Zeppelin really experimented as well. I find that often the proggy/experimental vibe of Chinese still puts people off which is frustrating. I remember at school some friends of mine really not liking Shackler's when it came out and I was like "What?! This is incredible!" :lol:

• Like 1

Alot of people would say that you shouldn't reheat Chinese leftovers, as the quality may be questionable :)

But I think the song is a nice little catchy tune. Paired with the cool and colourful video it comes across well, obviously nothing like the AFD era GnR and that is something that the general public always will struggle with. Such was the impact on the music scene of the AFD / UYI era, that testament to that is the fact people are so attached to it. 

99% of people who go to GnR shows, or who may listen to Hardskool, Absurd and Perhaps haven't folllowed Axl and the band the way we have  for the past three decades, and therefore don't get the evolution over time. 

Hopefully the General is a more awe-inspiring traditional GnR song than these other three CD left over releases, and gets some serious exposure, radio play and success.

4 minutes ago, DingBat said:

It's at 600k and climbing and in only 19 hours, it's doing really well for them. Might hit a million by the end of the day.

500K of that is probably us :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Appetitefordiscussion said:

I find more benefits to owning vinyl as far as just having the physical artwork and liner notes goes. CDs are just playing the same file that’s uploaded to streaming services. I guess just preference 

LPs have made a big comeback actually....overtook CD sales last year for the first time since 1987! 

Hold much more value than CD frisbee discs....

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Going back to the late 90s all the label ever wanted was a reunion. I would imagine this was part of the reason for the massive CD delay and the CD2 non release. Now they got it

• Like 1