"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

6 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

You're basically saying it's impossible for a song to go to a different section that sounds nothing like the one before. Have you heard GNRs catalogue? I can give you atleast 10 examples where songs have gone into parts that you would have never seen coming if you only heard a minute of the song.

It has happened before that songs have been abandoned and parts of it were taken and used on other songs EOY and HS. SOG sounds just like what Sebastian Bach described about The General, so if SOG was indeed abandoned it would make sense to use work done on that song on something else to not waste it. 

Breakdown comes to mind……

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

You're basically saying it's impossible for a song to go to a different section that sounds nothing like the one before. Have you heard GNRs catalogue? I can give you atleast 10 examples where songs have gone into parts that you would have never seen coming if you only heard a minute of the song.

It has happened before that songs have been abandoned and parts of it were taken and used on other songs, EOY and HS. SOG sounds just like what Sebastian Bach described about The General, so if SOG was indeed abandoned it would make sense to use work done on that song on something else to not waste it. 

Don't be ridiculous. Of course songs can change from section to section, but the 'intro' part we've heard is over 4 minutes long and it doesn't fit anywhere in SOG. The vocals and guitar melodies we've heard sound nothing alike. Maybe SOG was abandoned, we have no idea, but it's far more likely that they're different songs rather than SOG being so heavily restructured into The General.

I don't think parts of The General are anywhere in the Village leaks, but I'd say there's a better chance it originated as Billionare than SOG. (It's not Billionare either, though.)

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Why would Axl abandon a completed song with almost completed lyrics?

Not only am I confident that SOG and The General have nothing to do with each other, but I think it's very likely that SOG will be released in the future.

I don't know, why would he abandon Eye On You, isn't that also a completed song with complete lyrics? So either you believe Eye On You is still coming out (lol) or it has, what I believe, been abandoned and parts of it used on other songs so not all the work gone into it was done for nothing.

SOG itself, I can name a couple of reasons, it seems like a rough sketch of a song really, there's no solo, some people believe he's just mumbling nonsense at parts and the lyrics aren't even there, and it seems strange it hasn't been mentioned anywhere else since 2000, not by Axl, not by the band, or that list that had Perhaps on it way before we knew that was a real title, SOG wasn't on that either. So I believe it's been abandoned, and seeing how much work has gone into it, I don't think it's far fetched at all that parts of it will then wind up on another song.

125 pages and not one second has been heard yet. This has to be a record for the most discussion about a song we have not heard. I bet other artists don’t get 125 pages for a brand new album lol. Man we are starved as a fan base. 

Edited by Arnuld
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

11 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Don't be ridiculous. Of course songs can change from section to section, but the 'intro' part we've heard is over 4 minutes long and it doesn't fit anywhere in SOG. The vocals and guitar melodies we've heard sound nothing alike. Maybe SOG was abandoned, we have no idea, but it's far more likely that they're different songs rather than SOG being so heavily restructured into The General.

I don't think parts of The General are anywhere in the Village leaks, but I'd say there's a better chance it originated as Billionare than SOG. (It's not Billionare either, though.)

...the music for the live intro was very clearly a version specifically made to BE a long concert intro and not the actual version, that's why it's fucking 4 minutes long. Again we're going in circles because you're saying the parts of SOG don't fit anywhere in the very small part of a few seconds of the actual version of The General we've heard. I'm not saying it's definite, just that it's not as impossible as people make it seem that the two were combined or evolved from one another.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

1 minute ago, estrangedtwat said:

When did we first hear "Perhaps" mentioned as song title?

I don't remember ever hearing of it before the locker leaks.

It was on that email that leaked with the subject head CD2 with a bunch of song titles. 

I think everyone worried that it's State of Grace or something should remember that two of the things that were said to us BY GUNS N' ROSES/AXL in the past are that we've heard it before (at that point in 2008 we had never heard State of Grace before) and that it's "most played before Chinese Democracy"

It's either an instrumental of the intro to the song Chinese Democracy (lol I'm trolling here btw) or it's something using a symphony/orchestral song we've heard

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

...the music for the live intro was very clearly a version specifically made to BE a long concert intro and not the actual version, that's why it's fucking 4 minutes long. Again we're going in circles because you're saying the parts of SOG don't fit anywhere in the very small part of a few seconds of the actual version of The General we've heard. I'm not saying it's definite, just that it's not as impossible as people make it seem that the two were combined or evolved from one another.

How was it clearly specifically made to be a concert intro? Seems a lot more likely that it was a stem that they used as an intro, rather than something made to be an intro. We've heard a solid couple minutes of The General even though the quality is garbage, and the song isn't going to be that long considering it's on a 7" record. It's not impossible that TG/SOG were combined at some point, but it's very unlikely.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I don't know, why would he abandon Eye On You, isn't that also a completed song with complete lyrics? So either you believe Eye On You is still coming out (lol) or it has, what I believe, been abandoned and parts of it used on other songs so not all the work gone into it was done for nothing.

SOG itself, I can name a couple of reasons, it seems like a rough sketch of a song really, there's no solo, some people believe he's just mumbling nonsense at parts and the lyrics aren't even there, and it seems strange it hasn't been mentioned anywhere else since 2000, not by Axl, not by the band, or that list that had Perhaps on it way before we knew that was a real title, SOG wasn't on that either. So I believe it's been abandoned, and seeing how much work has gone into it, I don't think it's far fetched at all that parts of it will then wind up on another song.

Eye on You is less completed - lyrically, at least - than State Of Grace, because the same parts are repeated.

The fact that a song didn't happen to be mentioned says nothing to me. Some of the song names we knew of before the Village leaks were mentioned by coincidence or because the circumstances allowed it - it wasn't because the band members were open about what they working on. Perhaps was on that alleged track list and, regardless of that, we now know that the band had been working on it, however it was never mentioned.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

How was it clearly specifically made to be a concert intro? Seems a lot more likely that it was a stem that they used as an intro, rather than something made to be an intro. We've heard a solid couple minutes of The General even though the quality is garbage, and the song isn't going to be that long considering it's on a 7" record. It's not impossible that TG/SOG were combined at some point, but it's very unlikely.

That doesn't mean anything because, even in the event that it really is 4 minutes long, it only means that the orchestra would be in the background of the song for 4 minutes. GNR have songs that are 10 minutes long. I have already posted 1-2 pages back that this whole 7" time constraint thing is bullshit, November Rain came out in 1992 on a 7" at freaking length of 8:53, so if that was already possible 31 years ago it's even more possible now, unless we have gone backwards in technology. 

12 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Eye on You is less completed - lyrically, at least - than State Of Grace, because the same parts are repeated.

The fact that a song didn't happen to be mentioned says nothing to me. Some of the song names we knew of before the Village leaks were mentioned by coincidence or because the circumstances allowed it. Perhaps was on that alleged track list and, regardless of that, we now know that the band had been working on it, however it was never mentioned.

How is it less completed, since when do songs need to have a certain amount of different words to be considered completed, Absurd is repeating the same verse also and that's a full song. That IS the song.

So just because one song has parts that are repeating doesn't mean it's any less "complete".

No it was not mentioned, but unlike Perhaps, SOG wasn't even on the list, just like Eye On You wasn't.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

4 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

That doesn't mean anything because, even in the event that it really is 4 minutes long, it only means that the orchestra would be in the background of the song for 4 minutes. GNR have songs that are 10 minutes long. I have already posted 1-2 pages back that this whole 7" time constraint thing is bullshit, November Rain came out in 1992 on a 7" at freaking length of 8:53, so if that was already possible 31 years ago it's even more possible now, unless we have gone backwards in technology. 

Yes, the orchestral part is probably mixed somewhere in the background for 4~ minutes, we agree on that. I've never heard the 7" Nov Rain and can't say what the quality is like, and different versions were pressed at different speeds. Apparently the more recent HS single with 2 live tracks (the Nightrain release) did have sound issues though and it was only 6.5 minutes of music. I really doubt The General is some 9 minute epic, and I doubt it has any parts of SOG, but we'll find out soon enough. :shrugs:

6 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I didn't include because I could be one of those IF we actually had a proper demo to compare it. As this is not the case, I think most people won't dwell with it too much. 

6 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

You underestimate the weirdness of this community 😂 Some people will still shit on it and say a Finck/Buckethead version is better even when they haven't heard it, you can guarantee it

What he said :lol:

• Haha 1

I'm 0% worried about The General being something we've already heard, and i'm 10000% confident that it's not S.O.G or a recycled version of S.O.G.

What i'm worried about is how am i even gonna listen to it without spoilers. 

Because when it comes out, if there's gonna be any clue on the open internet about where to listen to the song, it's gonna be on this board, but im gonna have to read "spoilers" about it, lol, i would've loved to have that WTF moment when realizing that Robin was still on Perhaps, but i already knew it. Damn.

Edited by metalavenger99
  • ABSUЯD 1
  • PERHAPS 1

5 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

How is it less completed, since when do songs need to have a certain amount of different words to be considered completed, Absurd is repeating the same verse also and that's a full song. That IS the song.

So just because one song has parts that are repeating doesn't mean it's any less "complete".

More completed in the sense that Axl put the effort to write another verse on SOG, unlike on other songs. Maybe he  did feel that Eye On You and Absurd were fine as they were, however he did put the extra effort on SOG.

And I didn't say that Eye On You was necessarily abandoned either - even the use of the aye's on Hard Skool doesn't mean that it's been abandoned altogether.

11 minutes ago, metalavenger99 said:

I'm 0% worried about The General being something we've already heard, and i'm 10000% confident that it's not S.O.G or a recycled version of S.O.G.

What i'm worried about is how am i even gonna listen to it without spoilers. 

Because when it comes out, if there's gonna be any clue on the open internet about where to listen to the song, it's gonna be on this board, but im gonna have to read "spoilers" about it, lol, i would've loved to have that WTF moment when realizing that Robin was still on Perhaps, but i already knew it. Damn.

I totally feel this and reading spoilers definitely sucks. For Perhaps, I tried to make up for it in my mind by telling myself that being on this forum for hours on end experiencing the jukebox shenanigans would be a better memory than staying off the board and waiting to hear it on that Friday with no spoilers. There are pros and cons to both experiences. The absurdity (pun intended), fun and memories that I have on that night is something that I'll never forget, so it was worth it in my eyes. It was a truly classic GNR moment in history.

• Like 1
  • PERHAPS 2

10 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

55 hours til it's friday in New Zealand.

If it don’t show there, we ain’t getting it Friday… which means either it really will be vinyl exclusive, they’re waiting till it’s actually Halloween… or “plans changed.”

40 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

2011-12 when the MSL lists/emails thing happened, but most people didn't pay much attention to it. It was in the CD2 tracklist email

AT75imb.png

That email is so bizarre now that we know Perhaps was a legit title. Were they seriously considering putting new versions of Chinese songs on the follow up LP?  That’s just ridiculous and makes no sense.  Unless you were doing a bonus track or cd thing but that’s still dumb considering the songs weren’t out for that long at the time 

Every body talking about the 7” being only able to hold (x) amount of time. But what if the record is pressed at 33rpm. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jwalker19 said:

I totally feel this and reading spoilers definitely sucks. For Perhaps, I tried to make up for it in my mind by telling myself that being on this forum for hours on end experiencing the jukebox shenanigans would be a better memory than staying off the board and waiting to hear it on that Friday with no spoilers. There are pros and cons to both experiences. The absurdity (pun intended), fun and memories that I have on that night is something that I'll never forget, so it was worth it in my eyes. It was a truly classic GNR moment in history.

Oh yeah, i agree that's definitely an essential part of the GNR experience 🤣

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BillConnor_1982 said:

That email is so bizarre now that we know Perhaps was a legit title. Were they seriously considering putting new versions of Chinese songs on the follow up LP?  That’s just ridiculous and makes no sense.  Unless you were doing a bonus track or cd thing but that’s still dumb considering the songs weren’t out for that long at the time 

Every body talking about the 7” being only able to hold (x) amount of time. But what if the record is pressed at 33rpm. 

Considering that there 21 songs listed I always figured they would be temixes of some kind on a 2nd bonus disc