The Rolling Stones- Hackney Diamonds

ZoSoRose

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2024 at 12:34 AM, ZoSoRose said:

Yes, that’s the show. The RSD release is vinyl! 

Picked it up. Insane price for a 7-song single LP ($35) and the cover is as lame as possible, but it sounds amazing. Killer concert! Comes with an insert with show pictures and a setlist replica, too. I wish they used the CD art, at least, but it’s ok. Amazing they still sound this good 

3 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Picked it up. Insane price for a 7-song single LP ($35) and the cover is as lame as possible, but it sounds amazing. Killer concert! Comes with an insert with show pictures and a setlist replica, too. I wish they used the CD art, at least, but it’s ok. Amazing they still sound this good 

Did it have special artwork on CD? I only know of the color-modified album cover for the deluxe edition of HD. 

14 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Did it have special artwork on CD? I only know of the color-modified album cover for the deluxe edition of HD. 

That’s all it had, I just like blue lol

• GNFNR 1

Opening night in Houston had Angry, Mess It Up and Sweet Sounds. 

I'm really, REALLY hoping they'll at least also play Whole Wide World, Bite My Head Off and Live By The Sword this tour. Dreamy Skies would be nice too. 

But they at least played WWW and BMHO at the Racket show. So I remain hopeful. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mess It Up sounds so good live. Apparently most of the album was rehearsed if the reports on IORR are to be believed. I'm guessing Angry and SSOH get played each night, with the third song rotating. 

Also I really hope Out Of Time is a staple in the set this year, like it was in Europe in 2022. 

Time Is On My Side is a great pick, glad to see that one in the mix again. Looks like Get Off Of My Cloud and Out Of Time are gonna be staples, happy about that. No song vote for New Orleans but understandable given the festival and the number of guest performers in the set. My only real gripe so far is only one Keef song (But it is an excellent one at least). 

Speaking of Keef songs, would love to see them have a go at Can’t Be Seen again. Loved hearing that in 2014 but with the energy Steve Jordan brings to the live band, that one would be a great choice nowadays. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I wish they would do more HD songs in each show. One more slot for a Jagger- sang one and having Keith do Tell me Straight would at least be an improvement. I could accept 5 songs each show. 

On 5/3/2024 at 11:12 AM, username said:

image.thumb.png.3332bd786ecf2da8a690930e0855aac9.png

Time Is On My Side!! :wub: This looks like a really awesome set. 

Still an awesome set with the new songs, Let it Bleed, and Time is on My Side

Edited by ZoSoRose

On 4/21/2024 at 3:27 PM, ZoSoRose said:

I found a copy today in the RSD leftover bin! :D sadly also at full price. But I still bought it. 

Las Vegas:

Start me up
Get off my cloud
Let’s Spend The Night Together
Angry
Like a rolling stone
You got me rocking
Mess it up
Tumbling dice
You can't always get what you want
Intros
You got the silver
Little T & A
Sympathy for the devil
Honky Tonk Women
Miss You
Gimme Shelter
Paint it black
Jumping Jack Flash
Sweet sounds of Heaven
Satisfaction

Weakest setlist of the tour so far IMO. Disappointed that Out OF Time has been replaced by warhorses the last two shows (IORR in Glendale, LSTNT in Vegas), Mess It Up doesn't seem to be a rotating Hackney Diamonds song anymore, weak song vote in YGMR, LARS in the "ballad" slot. But on the positive side, back to two Keith songs finally. 

• 2 weeks later...

I caught my first of two shows this tour in East Rutherford last night. What a show, and what a set list especially! Live debut of Tell Me Straight, and tour debuts for Bitch, Heartbreaker, and Midnight Rambler (The latter bumping Miss You out of the set :D ). The most HD songs in a set so far, and for me personally I got six songs I’ve never seen. The band was on fire, and the crowd was very good. Keef was really in the zone after the first few songs, he really led the show last night. Mick was in great spirits, and Ronnie feels a bit back to his old self - much more lively. Steve Jordan is having the time of his life up there; of course I’d rather have Charlie still, but we are so fortunate to have Steve in the band in his stead. 

Looking forward to Cleveland in a few weeks. If you have the chance to catch them on this run, do not miss it. Last night was up there with the best Stones shows I’ve seen. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I caught my first of two shows this tour in East Rutherford last night. What a show, and what a set list especially! Live debut of Tell Me Straight, and tour debuts for Bitch, Heartbreaker, and Midnight Rambler (The latter bumping Miss You out of the set :D ). The most HD songs in a set so far, and for me personally I got six songs I’ve never seen. The band was on fire, and the crowd was very good. Keef was really in the zone after the first few songs, he really led the show last night. Mick was in great spirits, and Ronnie feels a bit back to his old self - much more lively. Steve Jordan is having the time of his life up there; of course I’d rather have Charlie still, but we are so fortunate to have Steve in the band in his stead. 

Looking forward to Cleveland in a few weeks. If you have the chance to catch them on this run, do not miss it. Last night was up there with the best Stones shows I’ve seen. 

That sounds aboslutely amazing. I envy you man! ^_^ 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

My fam and I caught night 2 yesterday. There are literally 3 or 4 artists I’d even consider hauling ass to MetLife for but we stayed through the whole set. It was incredible. Absolutely incredible to see how that show is live, 2hrs of pure joy. Got home at 1:30am because egress there is dumb but whatever. Fantastic night, would recommend a small splurge. Ticket prices came down nicely in the days leading up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2024 at 7:00 AM, Powerage5 said:

It can’t be coincidence that every Stones gig I left was up there with “the best one” I’ve seen. Glad you had a good time Brother and I’m sure you’ll walk out of the Cleveland gig thinking the same as East Rutherford. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Second and final show of the tour for me last night in Cleveland. I had Lucky Dip for this one, and pulled Pit A :D First time in the pit since Toronto 2013, got on the barrier on the inside edge of the side extension. Quite a nice spot actually as I could lean my back against the barrier looking inwards towards the main stage and catwalk, and turn around when someone came out on the side extension. 

Good show, albeit not as good as MetLife night 2 a few weeks ago. Setlist was less exciting than MetLife also with Get Off Of My Cloud and Bitch getting dropped for It's Only Rock N Roll and Let's Spend The Night Together, and especially Sweet Sounds Of Heaven still being dropped in favor of Happy. That said, I was elated to finally get Monkey Man - one of my favorite Stones songs and I've missed it by one show numerous times over the last few years. Band was in fine form again, with Keith being the MVP of the core members again. But man, I am just loving Steve Jordan. I never thought I would say this, but Miss You might have been the best song last night and that's in no small part due to Steve. He's got the funk groove absolutely locked down in a way Charlie never did. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Second and final show of the tour for me last night in Cleveland. I had Lucky Dip for this one, and pulled Pit A :D First time in the pit since Toronto 2013, got on the barrier on the inside edge of the side extension. Quite a nice spot actually as I could lean my back against the barrier looking inwards towards the main stage and catwalk, and turn around when someone came out on the side extension. 

Good show, albeit not as good as MetLife night 2 a few weeks ago. Setlist was less exciting than MetLife also with Get Off Of My Cloud and Bitch getting dropped for It's Only Rock N Roll and Let's Spend The Night Together, and especially Sweet Sounds Of Heaven still being dropped in favor of Happy. That said, I was elated to finally get Monkey Man - one of my favorite Stones songs and I've missed it by one show numerous times over the last few years. Band was in fine form again, with Keith being the MVP of the core members again. But man, I am just loving Steve Jordan. I never thought I would say this, but Miss You might have been the best song last night and that's in no small part due to Steve. He's got the funk groove absolutely locked down in a way Charlie never did. 

I loved Miss You in Detroit 21

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Caught The Stones Friday night. 
It was a 6/10 show. Most of this my own fault. It was my 14th gig and I’ve heard some songs live one too many times… 

Start Me Up - You can never tell if Keef will fuck up the intro or how Ronnie will play the solo but it sounded great.  

Let's Spend the Night Together - Pretty great, but how great would Get Off Of My Cloud or It’s Only Rock N Roll have been which have been played second a few times on the tour. 

Bitch - Pretty good version, though I groaned inside when it kicked off I knew I wouldn’t be getting Rocks Off.

Angry - Really enjoyed it. The album version is pretty great but it really works better live, some added guitar work between Ronnie & Keith makes it a great live song. 

Street Fighting Man - The song vote, I’d hoped for All Down The Line or Heartbreaker. Having seen the Stones open with this at least 3 times IN Sleepy London Town it’s ruined the tune for me anywhere else in the set. I also expected Jordan to kick the shit out of the ending like Charlie did as a young man but it didn’t happen. I heard Keef trying to drive it towards that at the end but Mick wrapped it up with a couple of looks and nods before it could hit that pounding ending. 

Wild Horses - I’ve heard this a lot and Friday nights was as magical as any of them. Keith’s backing vocals were brilliant and there was some lovely weaving between Keef & Ronnie during it.

Mess It Up - I’d have taken other Hackney Diamond’s tunes over this, but I would definitely have taken this over Miss You pre gig, it Worked well live and I far far far prefer it to Miss You if they have to play a dance track. 

Tumbling Dice - Good, but I’ve definitely seen better versions. 

You Can’t Always Get What You Want - Shitty. I’m fed up with this tune live anyways but Ronnie’s solo was pretty shit, Keef shot him a filthy look and immediate laugh at one point and Mick shot him a look near the end also. It was probably better than I thought it was. 

Tell Me Straight - A highlight for me, slightly ramshackle and endearingly so. I’ve seen Keith get a little emotional during his set over the years and there was definitely something rumbling under the surface during this tune Friday night. The most “intimate” moment of the evening. 

Little T&A - Hate it, always have, tried my best to just hear the music but the shit lyrics kept buzzing their way through the music. I kept thinking of the last tour which I missed and Keith was playing Connection… 

Before They Make Me Run - If he played Happy here or BTMMR I didn’t care, I like both and seen Keef do both brilliantly over the years. Friday nights rendition held its own amongst the others I’ve seen. Keith put a bit into this and you could see it in his eyes. 

Sympathy - It’s been played every single Stones gig I’ve been to and loses more power each time. Keith’s solo was acceptable which isn’t always the case. It can be a car crash tune this but it was ok Friday.

Honky Tonk Women - This is an odd tune for me, I’ve probably heard Country Honk more times listening to Beggars than I have heard this tune listening to a Stones compilation. It’s never let me down live and I think it’s because of that unfamiliarity. Great tune on the night. 

Midnight Rambler - A highlight of every Stones gig I’ve been to but the first song of the night Charlie’s really missing on for me. Him and Keith had a telepathy during this number that Steve Jordan is still vibing out. It was still a great version but the turnarounds didn’t have that same graceful transition they had with Charlie. Seeing Mick Taylor guest on this tune in the past also slightly ruined it for me but it was a highlight of the night still.

Gimmie Shelter - I’ve heard better versions of it in the past, there was a hypnotic groove missing Friday night that I’ve heard previously but that chick Chanel Haynes has a serious power to her voice. I think she’s a better singer than Sasha for sure but Lisa Fischer rivalled even Merry Clayton’s vocal live over the years and I still measure against that. Chanel held her won but still not Lisa. Definitely a good version of the tune on the night though.

Paint It Black - Slightly different arrangement and vocal delivery from Mick than I’ve heard before, again I was hoping Steve Jordan would pound this one out but he kept it pretty light. Still sounded great though.

Jumping Jack Flash - Can’t remember anything about this really so it must have been pretty good!

Sweet Sounds Of Heaven - Standout tune of the evening for me. Epic and intimate all at once. Chanel is an essential part of this song and drives Jagger to another level also. In all the Stones album tours I’ve seen since the mid 90s this tune got the best reception I’ve seen any new Stones song get. There was a sustained clapping and cheering after this tune that brought a genuine look of pleasure on Jaggers face. I think even he was blown away by the reception. The album version is just OK now after seeing that Friday night. Fucking Spiritual. 

Satisfaction - Good but I’ve heard way better from them live in the past, Keef is either into it or not at times and his solos Friday night were just ok. It made me think of Charlie in London a few years back and the look of surprise on his face when the first chorus kicked in and the crowd drowned out the band for a few seconds. 

IF I hadn’t seen these songs live a bunch of times already I wouldn’t be reviewing the way I have, it’s kinda my own fault. 

Aside from the songs. Jagger is phenomenal. During Rambler he dropped to all fours on the snare shot and it was sexual as when he used to whip the stage with his belt 50 years ago. Most 80 year olds I know would be in hospital if they hit the deck like he did Friday night. His vocals were to my ears perfect and he covered quite a lot of the stage. Just unbelievable for a man who is 80 in a few weeks. His harp playing is as good as ever also, just wish we’d heard more of it on  an even longer Rambler!

Keiths quitting of various things over the last few years has helped him for sure. I’m guessing his stronger backing vocals and quitting smoking a few years back isn’t a coincidence. It seems worst he does now before a show is have a toke. The booze seems to have almost totally gone from his pre show ritual. He’s still the boss of the band musically, the looks the cues the reprimands are all still there, and as with every single Stones show I’ve been to Keith quickly steered the band after Mick came in late. He’s always watching Mick and saving his bacon when needed. True partnership. I thought overall his playing was maybe better than Ronnie’s on the night.

There was a really cool moment at the end of Satisfaction where Keith leaned against the Video screens like a man at the end of a days work proudly looking at his fellow workers and still playing the solos. Most guys his age would be learning against it fucked tired, Keith I got the impression felt the thing was only starting to get cooking and would have played another hour if he could. 

Based on this bands age and based on the strength of the new material played 60+ years into their career I should really be giving this an 9/10 it’s my own fault it’s a 6/10. 

Edited by Powderfinger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Powderfinger said:

Caught The Stones Friday night. 
It was a 6/10 show. Most of this my own fault. It was my 14th gig and I’ve heard some songs live one too many times… 

Start Me Up - You can never tell if Keef will fuck up the intro or how Ronnie will play the solo but it sounded great.  

Let's Spend the Night Together - Pretty great, but how great would Get Off Of My Cloud or It’s Only Rock N Roll have been which have been played second a few times on the tour. 

Bitch - Pretty good version, though I groaned inside when it kicked off I knew I wouldn’t be getting Rocks Off.

Angry - Really enjoyed it. The album version is pretty great but it really works better live, some added guitar work between Ronnie & Keith makes it a great live song. 

Street Fighting Man - The song vote, I’d hoped for All Down The Line or Heartbreaker. Having seen the Stones open with this at least 3 times IN Sleepy London Town it’s ruined the tune for me anywhere else in the set. I also expected Jordan to kick the shit out of the ending like Charlie did as a young man but it didn’t happen. I heard Keef trying to drive it towards that at the end but Mick wrapped it up with a couple of looks and nods before it could hit that pounding ending. 

Wild Horses - I’ve heard this a lot and Friday nights was as magical as any of them. Keith’s backing vocals were brilliant and there was some lovely weaving between Keef & Ronnie during it.

Mess It Up - I’d have taken other Hackney Diamond’s tunes over this, but I would definitely have taken this over Miss You pre gig, it Worked well live and I far far far prefer it to Miss You if they have to play a dance track. 

Tumbling Dice - Good, but I’ve definitely seen better versions. 

You Can’t Always Get What You Want - Shitty. I’m fed up with this tune live anyways but Ronnie’s solo was pretty shit, Keef shot him a filthy look and immediate laugh at one point and Mick shot him a look near the end also. It was probably better than I thought it was. 

Tell Me Straight - A highlight for me, slightly ramshackle and endearingly so. I’ve seen Keith get a little emotional during his set over the years and there was definitely something rumbling under the surface during this tune Friday night. The most “intimate” moment of the evening. 

Little T&A - Hate it, always have, tried my best to just hear the music but the shit lyrics kept buzzing their way through the music. I kept thinking of the last tour which I missed and Keith was playing Connection… 

Before They Make Me Run - If he played Happy here or BTMMR I didn’t care, I like both and seen Keef do both brilliantly over the years. Friday nights rendition held its own amongst the others I’ve seen. Keith put a bit into this and you could see it in his eyes. 

Sympathy - It’s been played every single Stones gig I’ve been to and loses more power each time. Keith’s solo was acceptable which isn’t always the case. It can be a car crash tune this but it was ok Friday.

Honky Tonk Women - This is an odd tune for me, I’ve probably heard Country Honk more times listening to Beggars than I have heard this tune listening to a Stones compilation. It’s never let me down live and I think it’s because of that unfamiliarity. Great tune on the night. 

Midnight Rambler - A highlight of every Stones gig I’ve been to but the first song of the night Charlie’s really missing on for me. Him and Keith had a telepathy during this number that Steve Jordan is still vibing out. It was still a great version but the turnarounds didn’t have that same graceful transition they had with Charlie. Seeing Mick Taylor guest on this tune in the past also slightly ruined it for me but it was a highlight of the night still.

Gimmie Shelter - I’ve heard better versions of it in the past, there was a hypnotic groove missing Friday night that I’ve heard previously but that chick Chanel Haynes has a serious power to her voice. I think she’s a better singer than Sasha for sure but Lisa Fischer rivalled even Merry Clayton’s vocal live over the years and I still measure against that. Chanel held her won but still not Lisa. Definitely a good version of the tune on the night though.

Paint It Black - Slightly different arrangement and vocal delivery from Mick than I’ve heard before, again I was hoping Steve Jordan would pound this one out but he kept it pretty light. Still sounded great though.

Jumping Jack Flash - Can’t remember anything about this really so it must have been pretty good!

Sweet Sounds Of Heaven - Standout tune of the evening for me. Epic and intimate all at once. Chanel is an essential part of this song and drives Jagger to another level also. In all the Stones album tours I’ve seen since the mid 90s this tune got the best reception I’ve seen any new Stones song get. There was a sustained clapping and cheering after this tune that brought a genuine look of pleasure on Jaggers face. I think even he was blown away by the reception. The album version is just OK now after seeing that Friday night. Fucking Spiritual. 

Satisfaction - Good but I’ve heard way better from them live in the past, Keef is either into it or not at times and his solos Friday night were just ok. It made me think of Charlie in London a few years back and the look of surprise on his face when the first chorus kicked in and the crowd drowned out the band for a few seconds. 

IF I hadn’t seen these songs live a bunch of times already I wouldn’t be reviewing the way I have, it’s kinda my own fault. 

Aside from the songs. Jagger is phenomenal. During Rambler he dropped to all fours on the snare shot and it was sexual as when he used to whip the stage with his belt 50 years ago. Most 80 year olds I know would be in hospital if they hit the deck like he did Friday night. His vocals were to my ears perfect and he covered quite a lot of the stage. Just unbelievable for a man who is 80 in a few weeks. His harp playing is as good as ever also, just wish we’d heard more of it on  an even longer Rambler!

Keiths quitting of various things over the last few years has helped him for sure. I’m guessing his stronger backing vocals and quitting smoking a few years back isn’t a coincidence. It seems worst he does now before a show is have a toke. The booze seems to have almost totally gone from his pre show ritual. He’s still the boss of the band musically, the looks the cues the reprimands are all still there, and as with every single Stones show I’ve been to Keith quickly steered the band after Mick came in late. He’s always watching Mick and saving his bacon when needed. True partnership. I thought overall his playing was maybe better than Ronnie’s on the night.

There was a really cool moment at the end of Satisfaction where Keith leaned against the Video screens like a man at the end of a days work proudly looking at his fellow workers and still playing the solos. Most guys his age would be learning against it fucked tired, Keith I got the impression felt the thing was only starting to get cooking and would have played another hour if he could. 

Based on this bands age and based on the strength of the new material played 60+ years into their career I should really be giving this an 9/10 it’s my own fault it’s a 6/10. 

Good review, I agree with all of it. Unfortunately I had to miss the encore to catch the ferry home, but the main set was solid.

I think I got pretty good seats for Lucky Dip, near the back of the lower bowl but still pretty close to the stage. I was really happy with that. This was my view:

Let's Spend The Night Together was the only song I was hoping they wouldn't play, I wanted Get Off My Cloud but would've been happy to hear It's Only Rock N Roll... I've never been a fan of LSTNT. Angry was a lot better live than on the record, and I agree Tell Me Straight was a highlight. Little T&A was the weakest part of Keef's set but Tell Me Straight and Before They Make Me Run were great. I voted for Heartbreaker, but was happy with Street Fighting Man.

Mightnight Rambler and Sympathy were the highlights for me... I would've been happy with Miss You but I'm glad to have seen Rambler, Mick was on fire all night but he really owned that song. SFTD is one of my favourites - Beggar's is probably my favourite Stones album - and the version on Friday was better than I expected.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Good review, I agree with all of it. Unfortunately I had to miss the encore to catch the ferry home, but the main set was solid.

I think I got pretty good seats for Lucky Dip, near the back of the lower bowl but still pretty close to the stage. I was really happy with that. This was my view:

Let's Spend The Night Together was the only song I was hoping they wouldn't play, I wanted Get Off My Cloud but would've been happy to hear It's Only Rock N Roll... I've never been a fan of LSTNT. Angry was a lot better live than on the record, and I agree Tell Me Straight was a highlight. Little T&A was the weakest part of Keef's set but Tell Me Straight and Before They Make Me Run were great. I voted for Heartbreaker, but was happy with Street Fighting Man.

Mightnight Rambler and Sympathy were the highlights for me... I would've been happy with Miss You but I'm glad to have seen Rambler, Mick was on fire all night but he really owned that song. SFTD is one of my favourites - Beggar's is probably my favourite Stones album - and the version on Friday was better than I expected.

I watched a few vids of the gig this evening and I was probably overall too harsh in my review, like I said it’s my own fault. I think you probably had better sound that few rows over than I did. (I tried to get into the Pit but failed, made it through 2 checkpoints and failed at the 3rd… This man’s soul wouldn’t rest if he didn’t try…) 

They’ve been playing pretty great versions of Off My Cloud this tour also which would have made it a better pick in that slot. IORR can be ropey at times live though on balance I’ve heard more good versions than bad. I’d have had either no problem instead of LSTNT even though I don’t mind that track. I had a bunch of odd (Stoned) thoughts during the gig but when they were playing it I kinda laughed thinking that they on Ed Sullivan all those years ago had to change the lyrics to “let’s spend some time together” talk about different times!! 

It’s one thing I forgot to mention in my thoughts on the gig, but I’m pretty certain this is the only time I’ve gotten a 3 song set from Keef. I’d have to check myself but It was a real treat and honestly should have been the way of it for the last 40 years live. It gives Mick a good 20 mins almost to recover for the second half of the show. There’s a whole Rolling Stones show in my head of Keith tunes with Keith on vocals I’d kill to hear…. 

It’s something I noticed and wasn’t sure of but seeing as you mentioned it…@Powerage5 Is it my imagination or has Rambler changed from being conducted by Keith/Charlie to more Mick now? I heard him cue Jordan for a change Friday night and I never remember him doing that with Charlie, there was a few other subtle bits going on from Jagger. It hasn’t really had an impact on the song but it just seemed Mick is now the conductor. Keith still drives a lot of it but Mick seems more involved in some way. Like I said could be my imagination…. (running away with me) 

I was looking forward to seeing Steve Jordan, he’s a killer drummer and I honestly didn’t hear him make a slip all night. He has a lot more in his tank he could bring to those songs but he’s stayed faithful to Charlie. Maybe that’s why Charlie picked him on that tour he couldn’t make, he knew Jordan could play drums but he also knew Jordan could play drums for THE STONES which takes a musical drummer to play with you have to be more than just a great drummer. 

Edited by Powderfinger
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Looks like we were in the same section. Was my first time seeing the stones, was completely blown away. I agree in spots the band showed their age playing wise, but Mick was unbelievable imo. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2024 at 12:16 PM, The Dissident said:

Looks like we were in the same section. Was my first time seeing the stones, was completely blown away. I agree in spots the band showed their age playing wise, but Mick was unbelievable imo. 

I was in section 338 :D

What did you think of the sound? I thought the band was great, but the sound was not. I guess the open roof had some impact on that... still a really fun show though.

I thought Mick's comment about Trudeau was funny though. "His family has always been great supporters!" :lol:

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 1