The Rolling Stones- Hackney Diamonds

ZoSoRose

On 7/10/2024 at 12:35 AM, Powderfinger said:

I watched a few vids of the gig this evening and I was probably overall too harsh in my review, like I said it’s my own fault. I think you probably had better sound that few rows over than I did. (I tried to get into the Pit but failed, made it through 2 checkpoints and failed at the 3rd… This man’s soul wouldn’t rest if he didn’t try…) 

They’ve been playing pretty great versions of Off My Cloud this tour also which would have made it a better pick in that slot. IORR can be ropey at times live though on balance I’ve heard more good versions than bad. I’d have had either no problem instead of LSTNT even though I don’t mind that track. I had a bunch of odd (Stoned) thoughts during the gig but when they were playing it I kinda laughed thinking that they on Ed Sullivan all those years ago had to change the lyrics to “let’s spend some time together” talk about different times!! 

It’s one thing I forgot to mention in my thoughts on the gig, but I’m pretty certain this is the only time I’ve gotten a 3 song set from Keef. I’d have to check myself but It was a real treat and honestly should have been the way of it for the last 40 years live. It gives Mick a good 20 mins almost to recover for the second half of the show. There’s a whole Rolling Stones show in my head of Keith tunes with Keith on vocals I’d kill to hear…. 

It’s something I noticed and wasn’t sure of but seeing as you mentioned it…@Powerage5 Is it my imagination or has Rambler changed from being conducted by Keith/Charlie to more Mick now? I heard him cue Jordan for a change Friday night and I never remember him doing that with Charlie, there was a few other subtle bits going on from Jagger. It hasn’t really had an impact on the song but it just seemed Mick is now the conductor. Keith still drives a lot of it but Mick seems more involved in some way. Like I said could be my imagination…. (running away with me) 

I was looking forward to seeing Steve Jordan, he’s a killer drummer and I honestly didn’t hear him make a slip all night. He has a lot more in his tank he could bring to those songs but he’s stayed faithful to Charlie. Maybe that’s why Charlie picked him on that tour he couldn’t make, he knew Jordan could play drums but he also knew Jordan could play drums for THE STONES which takes a musical drummer to play with you have to be more than just a great drummer. 

This tour I got Rambler in NJ and Miss You In Cleveland - in NJ, Keith was really running the show for the entire second half. He was a man possessed, and it's probably the strongest and most involved Keith performance I've ever seen, given that my first show was only in 2005. That said, I do think since Steve joined the touring band Mick has been more of the band leader on Rambler in general, I do recall that from the shows I saw in 2021. 

As for other songs, I agree with some of your comments, if not necessarily for the same reasons. Sympathy is beyond dull - especially with no pyro nowadays. I also agree that Honky Tonk Women is actually sounding really good right now, I enjoyed it much more at both shows this year than I have since...maybe 2005. Shame you didn't get GOOMC - it was a nice breath of fresh air in NJ. Unfortunately in Cleveland I got IORR and LSTNT :lol: The former of which is one I've seen more than enough times. 

I really love Steve Jordan honestly. No, he is not Charlie and I would always take Charlie first. But he has the songs down so well, he's managed to bring some of the tempos back up where they should be (Paint It Black was the worst offender towards the end with Charlie), and he is having so much fun when you watch him. And man...Miss You is fucking great with Steve. He's a much better groove drummer than Charlie, and he just brings a lot of life to that one, Cleveland was by far the best rendition I've seen in person. The interplay between him and Daryl during the bass solo was downright filthy. 

Glad you both enjoyed the show!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I was in section 338 :D

What did you think of the sound? I thought the band was great, but the sound was not. I guess the open roof had some impact on that... still a really fun show though.

I thought Mick's comment about Trudeau was funny though. "His family has always been great supporters!" :lol:

I think I was 339 I could check the ticket but regardless basically the same spot, also Lucky Dip, there was a lot of Lucky Dip people there.

BC Place sucks, sound wise no matter what, but I didn't find it too bad overall I did find the guitar solos a little rough, but most songs I could hear the distinguishing features pretty well.

I missed when he said that, but I found it on youtube, it was a very well played comment.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

This tour I got Rambler in NJ and Miss You In Cleveland - in NJ, Keith was really running the show for the entire second half. He was a man possessed, and it's probably the strongest and most involved Keith performance I've ever seen, given that my first show was only in 2005. That said, I do think since Steve joined the touring band Mick has been more of the band leader on Rambler in general, I do recall that from the shows I saw in 2021. 

As for other songs, I agree with some of your comments, if not necessarily for the same reasons. Sympathy is beyond dull - especially with no pyro nowadays. I also agree that Honky Tonk Women is actually sounding really good right now, I enjoyed it much more at both shows this year than I have since...maybe 2005. Shame you didn't get GOOMC - it was a nice breath of fresh air in NJ. Unfortunately in Cleveland I got IORR and LSTNT :lol: The former of which is one I've seen more than enough times. 

I really love Steve Jordan honestly. No, he is not Charlie and I would always take Charlie first. But he has the songs down so well, he's managed to bring some of the tempos back up where they should be (Paint It Black was the worst offender towards the end with Charlie), and he is having so much fun when you watch him. And man...Miss You is fucking great with Steve. He's a much better groove drummer than Charlie, and he just brings a lot of life to that one, Cleveland was by far the best rendition I've seen in person. The interplay between him and Daryl during the bass solo was downright filthy. 

Glad you both enjoyed the show!

Even though I was hoping they wouldn’t play Miss You, I was OK if they did due to your comments. The interplay between Jordan & Daryl is something to behold for sure. Steve has brought a dirty funk to it where most of that in the past came from Daryl rather than Daryl & Charlie. 
I was well pissed off the tickets I pulled in the LD meant I couldn’t see Steve other than the screens. He’s just a killer drummer and a legend in his own right. 

18 hours ago, The Dissident said:

I think I was 339 I could check the ticket but regardless basically the same spot, also Lucky Dip, there was a lot of Lucky Dip people there.

BC Place sucks, sound wise no matter what, but I didn't find it too bad overall I did find the guitar solos a little rough, but most songs I could hear the distinguishing features pretty well.

I missed when he said that, but I found it on youtube, it was a very well played comment.

Were you in BC Place for GNR last time round Dissident? I was ground floor and it was about the best sound I’ve heard there outside of McCartney a few years back. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, The Dissident said:

Yea there were a bunch of LD people around me too. Do you or @Powderfinger know how many they actually sell per show?

There were a couple Ronnie solos that had issues. It wasn't the worst I've heard at a concert, but BC Place definitely lives up to its reputation for sound. The best show I've heard there was the Chili Peppers, last year. Maybe it helps that they're only a 5-piece band? GNR sounded decent last year, better than 2017.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea there were a bunch of LD people around me too. Do you or @Powderfinger know how many they actually sell per show?

There were a couple Ronnie solos that had issues. It wasn't the worst I've heard at a concert, but BC Place definitely lives up to its reputation for sound. The best show I've heard there was the Chili Peppers, last year. Maybe it helps that they're only a 5-piece band? GNR sounded decent last year, better than 2017.

I have no clue how many LDs they put on per show maybe 3-6% of the tickets would be my guess. BC place’s capacity for last Fridays gig is listed at 60,000 on IORR but I think normal capacity is 55,000 so I’ll go with that. I’m guessing somewhere between 1,650 - 3,300 of those were LDs that’s 3-6%. But I’m just speculating here as I have zero clue. @Powerage5may have the info? 

21 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

Were you in BC Place for GNR last time round Dissident? I was ground floor and it was about the best sound I’ve heard there outside of McCartney a few years back. 

Yea I was there as well, was on the same side of the stage but I think 3-4 sections further away. I agree it was really good soundwise!

No idea regarding # of Lucky Dip tix

• Like 1

On 7/13/2024 at 3:33 AM, Powderfinger said:

I have no clue how many LDs they put on per show maybe 3-6% of the tickets would be my guess. BC place’s capacity for last Fridays gig is listed at 60,000 on IORR but I think normal capacity is 55,000 so I’ll go with that. I’m guessing somewhere between 1,650 - 3,300 of those were LDs that’s 3-6%. But I’m just speculating here as I have zero clue. @Powerage5may have the info? 

Historically they put 1,000 pairs on sale initially, but then potentially more if a show is selling poorly. I’m not sure they did the latter this year at all though. 

• Like 2