11/02/23 - Los Angeles, CA - The Hollywood Bowl NIGHT 2

alfierose

43 minutes ago, BucketEgg said:

Another video of it:

The crowd noise at the end was cut short, but sounds like they were into it.

Since it's been played live, will the song be mentioned in the news more?

Thank you! Sounds well.

P.S: Now, officially Slash plays in The General 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, El Guapo said:

Wow, very nice surprise!

Does Slash play the solo like on the leak?

I hope the leaked version isn't the final vocal take, since it's the first time Mickey appears on a recording. Rasp is needed for The General, imo.

Yeah the solo sounded like the studio version. It rocked 

• Like 2

I’ve read the whole leaks thread but avoided listening to them in lieu of an official release so watching that YouTube audience recording posted above is my first time hearing The General and it was better than I expected based on user commentary on here overall.

Totally get the Sabbath vibe and would love to hear a digital release on streaming platforms.

10 minutes ago, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

Sounded weak as anything. Soft as a McDonald’s milkshake. If we’d heard it back in 2006 to 2010 it would’ve been stronger. 

It sounded decent on the videos here, sure it isn't like how he would have done it in 2010 but it still sounds pretty good to me overall

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Yeah the solo sounded like the studio version. It rocked 

You'll be getting exactly the same take, quality updated a tiny bit. I really don't get how anyone with a set of ears (musician /producer) could release the song in its current state, but GN'R will.

Edited by Gaanzer

2 minutes ago, gavgnr said:

Is the show on Sunday the last of the tour?

Yes.

1 minute ago, ZODIAC said:

I'm asking myself if they only played it because of the leak, or if they'd waited a little bit longer till the official (delayed) release in Dec. 

There are no shows in December (and there won't be for a while).

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Ok here’s a brief write- up-

Some of y’all know I am from Michigan. My aunt and uncle live in Thousand Oaks and own a brewery that they opened like 3- years ago. I haven’t been to California since 2011. My aunt took me to all the GNR sites back then so getting to see them in LA was just a cool fucking thing to do. Why am I telling y’all this? I don’t know. I’m tired. Anyways, getting the chance to see the boys and Melissa in Hollywood at the iconic bowl when flights were dirt cheap and having an excuse to chill with my family made this show an easy call. I opted to only go to one show because my fiancé tagged along and she doesn’t give a fuck about GNR. I picked night 2. That was smart.

We landed here yesterday and man, LA traffic is fucked up. I would never fucking live here because of the traffic. An hour to go 4- minutes, fuck off, Los Angeles.

So, we ate lunch at Sugarfish (pretty good), and dinner at the Rainbow (fucking cool being in there). We thought that was smart because it was close to The Hollywood bowl and it’d be a quick Uber. Nope.  Traffic was FUCKED. Fuck the traffic, man. Uber guy was even going insane and took a detour and got lost in the hills. We ended up walking a half mile at the end. No big deal, shoulda planned to walk the whole 4 miles. Fuck traffic.

Hollywood Bowl. Logistics SUCK. Holy fuck. All the cars. All the escalators. Fuck.

But, all the bullshit aside, it’s a beautiful venue. Man, what a cool setting for a concert. We miraculously made the last 4-5 Black Keys songs. Sound was kind of weird, but they were good and I was glad to say I saw em. 

I opted for nosebleeds. We were center in row 4 up top. Honestly, I’m glad I got the cheapest tickets. I could have easily snuck up closer but I didn’t even care to. View was fine and the band were ants. There were 4 big screens that were always showing the band and then the center one for show graphics.

Okay fuck all that, how was the show?

Well, it wasn’t perfect. Before you all bite my head off, I was raving about the show I saw 2 months ago in Fenway but this was not the same level of performance. The band was more tired tonight, and this is by far the most I’ve seen Axl struggle in- person. I saw him in 2021 and earlier this year and thought he did a good job aLl tHiNgS CoNsIdErEd at those gigs, but this time it was hard to justify it. I don’t blame the guy, he’s playing long tours and long shows, but it is time to seriously look at singing lower more or downtuning some songs. There’s no shame in it. I the backing vocals didn’t carry this like the Boston show I saw earlier. 

My fiancé also made a comment that Slash played nonsense and the other guy (Richard) followed the music more. That made me laugh because I thought of people on here bitching about Slash noodling. :lol:

Sound at the venue was also quiet as fuck. We could have full conversations with ease. Maybe it’s because we were in the back, but I’m no stranger to nosebleeds. It was QUIET. Sound was bad in the first third and got better as the show went on. 

I will say the second half got better. Axl rallied a bit but then ran out of some gas on Nightrain and Paradise City.

The length of the show is also something worth noting. Forget no TWAT or Locomotive, there was no YCBM. I don’t care about YCBM but they never not play it. Why play Wichita Lineman instead of Patience if you’re cutting the set? It was still a 2.5 hour show, but the Reckless Life/Shadow, YCBM, Loco, Coma, bonus Chinese songs were all cut. Idk, I’m guessing playing back to back days isn’t wise, anymore. No shame in that, either.

It is sounding like I hated this show, but I didn’t. It is still live GnR and I’m grateful I get to still see them. Glad my 10th show was in Hollywood! I had a blast seeing them in a great venue, and it does make me happy they’re still out there playing hard. I just thought there was a big difference compared to the show I saw in July.

Anyways, I thi- OH FUCK THEY PLAYED THE GENERAL. WHAT THE FUCK. 

Fuck everything I wrote. I got the debut of The General, bitches. 10/10 show. Hearing Axl say “this is a new song” is something I’ve been daydreaming about since 2008. Fucking SURREAL. He also went for it. That was a solid performance that he put his heart into. He was clearly tired from a long tour and a show the night before, but he fucking went for it and it sounded awesome. Highlight of the night, and one of those legendary GNR moments for the history books. I said I was hoping for TWAT or Locomotive, but the fact that I got the first performance of the legendary General makes up for not getting those. Maybe he sounded a lot better and played longer and did Locomotive the night prior, but after all the years of speculating and talking about The General on here, I wouldn’t trade that moment. Really grateful for it. Man, what a fucking thing that was. 

Also, big thanks to a fan I Facebook messaged her on a whim because I theyd get me a litho. They came in clutch. Thanks fan, you’re amazing.

What a night, The General! 

Hell yeah dude! I am out of likes but I am glad you got to hear The General's live debut and had a great time overall

And before you leave here, if you can, get your butt to Canter's and get a pastrami reuben!  Both for the GNR connection and because their reuben is amazing :lol:

I am kicking myself for not asking for the day off work and not getting cheap nosebleeds lol I blew my immediate concert budget on the San Diego show's travel expenses, Sting at the Hollywood Bowl a few weeks ago, and then Tool tickets for next year lmao

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

I’ll say also between these two nights I’ve heard a lot of people pointing out Axl’s vocals, more than I’ve heard in person ever. People laughing, pointing out the falsetto, overheard someone saying “im here for Slash, he actually delivered”. Never really heard that kind of talk from the casuals before. Could just be coincidence but interesting to point out.

6 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Hell yeah dude! I am out of likes but I am glad you got to hear The General's live debut and had a great time overall

And before you leave here, if you can, get your butt to Canter's and get a pastrami reuben!  Both for the GNR connection and because their reuben is amazing :lol:

I am kicking myself for not asking for the day off work and not getting cheap nosebleeds lol I blew my concert budget on the San Diego show's travel expenses and then Tool tickets for next year lmao

Sadly not going to make Canters this trip but I will one day! I was glad to eat at the Rainbow, at least! Tool rocks! You’ll have a great time.

11 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Ok here’s a brief write- up-

Some of y’all know I am from Michigan. My aunt and uncle live in Thousand Oaks and own a brewery that they opened like 3- years ago. I haven’t been to California since 2011. My aunt took me to all the GNR sites back then so getting to see them in LA was just a cool fucking thing to do. Why am I telling y’all this? I don’t know. I’m tired. Anyways, getting the chance to see the boys and Melissa in Hollywood at the iconic bowl when flights were dirt cheap and having an excuse to chill with my family made this show an easy call. I opted to only go to one show because my fiancé tagged along and she doesn’t give a fuck about GNR. I picked night 2. That was smart.

We landed here yesterday and man, LA traffic is fucked up. I would never fucking live here because of the traffic. An hour to go 4- minutes, fuck off, Los Angeles.

So, we ate lunch at Sugarfish (pretty good), and dinner at the Rainbow (fucking cool being in there). We thought that was smart because it was close to The Hollywood bowl and it’d be a quick Uber. Nope.  Traffic was FUCKED. Fuck the traffic, man. Uber guy was even going insane and took a detour and got lost in the hills. We ended up walking a half mile at the end. No big deal, shoulda planned to walk the whole 4 miles. Fuck traffic.

Hollywood Bowl. Logistics SUCK. Holy fuck. All the cars. All the escalators. Fuck.

But, all the bullshit aside, it’s a beautiful venue. Man, what a cool setting for a concert. We miraculously made the last 4-5 Black Keys songs. Sound was kind of weird, but they were good and I was glad to say I saw em. 

I opted for nosebleeds. We were center in row 4 up top. Honestly, I’m glad I got the cheapest tickets. I could have easily snuck up closer but I didn’t even care to. View was fine and the band were ants. There were 4 big screens that were always showing the band and then the center one for show graphics.

Okay fuck all that, how was the show?

Well, it wasn’t perfect. Before you all bite my head off, I was raving about the show I saw 2 months ago in Fenway but this was not the same level of performance. The band was more tired tonight, and this is by far the most I’ve seen Axl struggle in- person. I saw him in 2021 and earlier this year and thought he did a good job aLl tHiNgS CoNsIdErEd at those gigs, but this time it he venue reverb and live guitars and drums couldn’t really mask things. I don’t blame the guy, he’s playing long tours and long shows, but it is time to seriously look at singing lower more or downtuning some songs. There’s no shame in it. The backing vocals didn’t enhance this one as much as the Boston show I saw earlier. Aside from maybe carrying the choruses in Civil War and Paradise City.

My fiancé also made a comment that Slash played nonsense and the other guy (Richard) followed the music more. That made me laugh because I thought of people on here bitching about Slash noodling. :lol:

Sound at the venue was also quiet as fuck. We could have full conversations with ease. Maybe it’s because we were in the back, but I’m no stranger to nosebleeds. It was QUIET. Sound was bad in the first third and got better as the show went on. 

I will say the second half got better. Axl rallied a bit but then ran out of some gas on Nightrain and Paradise City.

The length of the show is also something worth noting. Forget no TWAT or Locomotive, there was no YCBM. I don’t care about YCBM but they never not play it. Why play Wichita Lineman instead of Patience if you’re cutting the set? It was still a 2.5 hour show, but the Reckless Life/Shadow, YCBM, Loco, Coma, bonus Chinese songs were all cut. Idk, I’m guessing playing back to back days isn’t wise, anymore. No shame in that, either.

It is sounding like I hated this show, but I didn’t. It is still live GnR and I’m grateful I get to still see them. Glad my 10th show was in Hollywood! I had a blast seeing them in a great venue, and it does make me happy they’re still out there playing hard. I just thought there was a big difference compared to the show I saw in July.

Anyways, I thi- OH FUCK THEY PLAYED THE GENERAL. WHAT THE FUCK. 

Fuck everything I wrote. I got the debut of The General, bitches. 10/10 show. Hearing Axl say “this is a new song” is something I’ve been daydreaming about since 2008. Fucking SURREAL. He also went for it. That was a solid performance that he put his heart into. He was clearly tired from a long tour and a show the night before, but he fucking went for it and it sounded awesome. Highlight of the night, and one of those legendary GNR moments for the history books. I said I was hoping for TWAT or Locomotive, but the fact that I got the first performance of the legendary General makes up for not getting those. Maybe he sounded a lot better and played longer and did Locomotive the night prior, but after all the years of speculating and talking about The General on here, I wouldn’t trade that moment. Really grateful for it. Man, what a fucking thing that was. Hope Monsters gets its time in the sun. Man, that song rules.

Also, big thanks to a fan I Facebook messaged on a whim asking if theyd get me a litho. They came in clutch. Thanks fan, you’re amazing.

What a night, The General! 

Must have been surreal watching it in person. The recording truly don't do justice to how the band sounds live.